1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh no! I did what I said I wouldn't!

Jul 22, 2009

1. i thought i was only going to get one... but then someone had a marco and he was on my wishlist, and i didn't want a lonely single doll...

i have a wishlist of about ten dolls, so i guess all i can do is keep saving! XD

2. You are never done.
      Anyone who thinks they are done, just hasn't found the perfect new mold to fall in love with.

I had a planned set of dolls, and I keep going off that path. Oh well, it's what makes the hobby fresh and interesting!

3. Aha! as has been said welcome to the obsessive compulsive hobby!

I began with one...I don't need anymore I said I can just keep sewing etc..... Now I have four at home and four more on the way at variuous stages of delivery( some are closer than others)
      I only began this hobby in Setmber this year!!!

Once you start looking and doing the" research" your'e lost. Just lie back and enjoy the ride...

4. Yeah, well, when I bought Luken, I was like "But that's the only one I'll ever buy. EVER." Then, I saw Cassie (Cynical Baby Cathy - the limited edition that looks just a bit like a very mad Anne of Green Gables) and really, really wanted her. I decided I'd just wait and if she were still available in October (last year), I'd order her for Christmas. But that's it. Really. No more. And then, Akando was released and on January 1st (cos I wasn't gonna buy any more dolls in 2008, no sir), shortly after midnight, I pressed the order button. And only realised afterwards that, since I had ordered Luken (my Ark) in February 2008, I had bought three dolls within a year. So much for the "just one" ... ;)

5. demented pea, the research is the problem, as you said. Every time I start searching for bjds, I find a new company I'd never heard of. They're like rabbits. They breed endlessly and quickly... and every time a new company pops up, the choices get harder. Some people seem to stick to one or two brands. I can see the logic in that. But the variety is also compelling. Sigh.

PS, is your avatar a Sleeping Elf doll? I've just ordered a large Moony that hasn't yet arrived. This was an impulse buy, and another example of the proliferation problem. I ran across her dolls by accident and was enchanted. What could I do but buy one?

6. Yeah, this hobby makes you do crazy things. Swore I would be happy with one. I desperately want three more now and have been picking pennies up off the street in an attempt to purchase at least the one more.

7. (Snicker) Good luck with the penny plan. That could take awhile. Maybe a few quarters will place themselves in your path?
      (I did find a dime today!)

8. Have just one? LMAO! Resin is addictive & you'll find that you soon become a junkie. And I just swore that I wasn't going to buy anymore SD sized dolls but then my Grail doll showed up & that idea went out the window.

9. yes it happened to me, i had put chirion souldoll on layaway then saw soom shpaler and now i am getting him instead of chirion, sooo yeah it happens a lot i think that is why i say look as much as you can before you make your final choice!!

10. When I first started, I was only going to have two -- one boy, one girl, and I was going to be all responsible and stuff and wait at least a year between buying each one. So I got Harumei, my CP Miyu. Absolutely adored her, adored the process of waiting for her, adored the process of making her my Harumei and not just a generic Miyu...I had ordered her in September and she arrived in October. So I was having so much fun with her I decided I just couldn't wait to get my boy. By the time February rolled around I had ordered Ryuuki, my CP El (he wasn't an impulse buy in the traditional sense but he was ordered waaaaaaaaaaaaay before I had originally planned). But it was hard to choose him, because I also really liked the Shine, and the Dambi was pretty cute too, and also after getting Harumei a few other female characters had popped into my head and I really wanted to get a Soo and a Soony to make them...but I still thought I would just get Ryuuki and be happy. Yeah, didn't happen. If I'm reading the old purchase records right, I ordered my Kid Delf dolls (Hotaru and her twin brother Kaoru) around the time Ryuuki arrived in the mail -- so like, a month after getting Ryuuki. They were definitely an impulse buy as my original doll plans had never ever included anything smaller than SD-size dolls.

As of right now I have five dolls (the fifth, Masuyo, was a gift) and two more on the way. After this I only really want one more, that Dambi I thought was so cute. And then I think I really will be done, because there aren't any other molds I've absolutely fallen in love with (aaaaaaaand watch me jinx myself by saying that).

Is it possible to have just one doll? Maybe, but not for me I guess. They really are like potato chips -- extremely expensive, light-sensitive, highly-customizable resin potato chips. So yeah, welcome to the hobby :p

11. Hmmmm...well, don't feel bad...I've done it to myself TWICE!:doh When I first got into this hobby, I was fascinated by the idea of creating a single character that I could customize to the hilt and costume and change on a daily basis whenever I wanted to. That justified the high cost to me. Just one, I told myself. They're so customizable, why would you possibly need anymore? (Man, how dumb was that? Utter, complete newb!!!) Well, as you can imagine, that lasted all of about 2 seconds and I quickly amassed a lovely group of SDs. But eventually, after several years, I found myself disenchanted by my collection, so I sold them all and switched my BJD collecting focus to something new. This time I told myself that it was because I'd had too many and it was simply overwhelming to me (truth is, the only thing that was overwhelming turned out to be the SD size in my very small home.) So once again I convinced myself that I would only buy one spectacular MSD...give her everything her spoiled little heart desired, make her tons of clothes, and be happy with that (and patted myself on the back for all the money I'd save by doing so!) But yep...you guessed it! That lasted only about 2 seconds as well! I only started my "new" collection this past January and I already have 4!!! The truth is, you just never know when another awesome sculpt will strike your fancy while you're doing research or just enjoying this forum. And when it does, trust me, you WILL find a way to convince yourself you absolutely need to bring it home.:)

12. I don't know if this qualifies for doing what you said you wouldn't or not. I have a wish list. Fauna was not really on my list, she was affordable and I wanted to know if I were really interested in this hobby. She came to me in February of this year. Then my RS Song came-he wasn't really on the list, he was sort of an impulse to get Fauna a boyfriend. Then Nicolette and Florian came in April-they weren't on my list. Then I bought Danica's head and restored it and found her a body-she certainly wasn't on my list! Beyla is the first wish list doll I've bought! I've gotten five this year and none of them on my list, though I love them all. What is going to happen to me if I keep going at this rate and acquire five non-wish list dolls for every one I get?:aeyepop:

13. I was adamant when I started out that I was only going to have ONE doll. I was sure of it. Absolutely positive.

... and then it turned out that the extra, Dreaming head I'd gotten as a spare for him had a completely different face-up that looked nothing like him. Making my "I'm only gonna have one-" turn into "Okay, so there are two of them-", right off the bat. :doh

After that, I just kind-of gave up. :lol:

What people have said upthread really is true. There always seems to be one more that you just have to add to the crew...

14. I recently did something I said I wouldn't - I've ordered a doll who has elf ears. And I'm thinking of keeping him an elf. They're not huge elf ears thankfully, so I think I might be able to stand them. We'll see if I get used to him as-is or end up breaking out the sandpaper. I've also added a doll with visible vampire teeth to my wishlist.

My "I'll only have one" turned into "OK, so I'll only have three..." before I even bought one. That's obviously gone far out the window now. I don't even bother saying "never" anymore, there's always an exception.

15. Yup! There's no returning now. ;3
      And yes, it happens a lot to me too.

16. Yeah, that happened to me too!
      When I first got mt boy I thought he was enough. But then I started to look around, know more people on the hobby, talked a lot with friends about it and stuff....see stores and think "oh, but I could get this head for one characther, but he would need a friend" and it was going and going....

I realized I was already saving for another dolls - not one but more than that! Yes resin is addictive! XD

17. I was saving for a Narae girl, I even bought 12mm eyes for her (which are now being sold in the market place *cough* *cough*) and then suddenly I found my dream mold, JID girl. So I bought her instead, and I'm now buying new eyes too.

18. I started by entering a Volks lottery for Dollfie Dream Feena. I didn't know that Dollfie Dream demand was such that I was almost guaranteed one, so I entered for Dollfie Dream Estel too "just in case". So... yeah, I broke the "only one" barrier before even getting started!

Then I learned about Volks FCS and was all, "Well, that sounds neat! But I can't afford much, so I'll try MSD." So I visited Volks USA during my once-a-decade visit to Disneyland and ordered one. Got Aphrae in a few months and thought, "Hey, I rather like resin. I should get a Sato SD13 one to maximize my variety and get that sweet kimono."

While waiting for trip time, SD16 Iris was released, and I loved little Snow White. "Well, SD16 adds variety, so that's ok, right?" Unintended addition #1. Then soon after Dollmore released their Model F Leah with Glamour bust. "I like big boobs and a non-Volks doll is ok, right?" Unintended #2. I did eventually go to Sato and order my FCS--she's still with a Japanese friend, waiting to be mailed to me.

Progress marches on: Iplehouse released Jessica with even more generous measurements. In-progress to be unintended #3. Planetdoll making a mermaid? Awaiting release to be unintended #4.

All the while, I still eventually would like a Dollfie Dream Dynamite, Yo-tenshi and Limhwa half-elf. And for the future I hope for a 90cm doll more shapely than a Mecha Angel and for Volks to finally crack and offer SD16G in FCS. (It would be so cute to have both a child and adult form of Aphrae.)

In short, I am dooooomed...

19. Every time I "window shop" it seems that my doll list grows expansively. D:

I have quite a few now, and I have to stop before It gets overbearing. What was the unintended? I planned for two dolls (male and female) at most when I decided to finally get one. ^_^U

20. :) That happend to me many times~! Now my wish list is as long as the tissue paper roll...[​IMG]
      And if I want to buy them all, I think I should win a lottery at first !!