1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

OMG ~ Total NOOB question: Why Do They Call It A 'Fer'???

Mar 26, 2010

1. I googled a bit, the only thing I could find was "two-fer dress", a type of dress that consists of a top in one fabric/design and an attached skirt in another fabric/design. So maybe the fer part in the Dollheart Fer is about the dress and the coat being made from different materials *wild guess here* O.o? All wiki gives me when I search for "fer" is a type of red wine grape, I don't think that has anything to do with dresses^^;;

2. They never responded...but, I venture to guess that it was a MISTAKE! So funny~!!! We all accept it so it has become part of the vernacular!

This is how words come to be born.

3. I vaguely remember another discussion about this topic...something came up about the original white fer being named after its shape, which Dollheart thought reminiscent to a snow-covered fir tree, but I can't remember if this turned out to be the real explanation or some kind of wacky theory :?

4. This is all very fascinating! I like the above explanation a lot. It is true of many words that we have today!

5. Same here, lol!

6. Ok. Glad to see I am not the only one wondering :) I just bought a black Fer, and I have an accent (I'm Hispanic) so I just call it my Fur :) lol I'll never own real fur anyway, so that's as close to fur as I'll get lol

7. I am *so* glad you asked! I have also always wondered!

8. OK, this may be due to faulty memory on my part but I have this vague recollection of seeing "Fer" as a description of the folds in the fabric of a garment, like knife pleats or something like that. An old french dressmakers term? Probably completely wrong, but the first time I saw that outfit that popped into my head...

Just don't quote me on it!

9. I never did hear back from DollHeart on the matter, but I venture to guess (based on some of the answers) that it was a typo, fer/fear or fer/blade...hmmm... I'm just glad I"M not the only one who's bugged!

Last question: How to pronounce...'fur' or 'fehr'? hahaha!

good heavens...

10. ...oh...Knife Pleats..! Maybe so. As a seamstress, it is making sense.

11. It is covered in knife pleats isn't it?

12. This is what I thought as well. I work in a retail store and sometimes the managers call our two-fer sets "the fers".
      In our store it's either something that works as something attached to something else but sold together as was said in the post I quoted, or they also
      call things that can be worn two ways a "fer". (Like a piece of clothing than can be a skirt or shirt). I just assumed the name came from "two-fer" as well.

13. I thought it was more gathered, not pleated....

Ok, so it makes sense as in "a set" per se. Very cool.

14. haha I laughed at this too, ill jump in and give the answer that I always got as a child from my sarcastic dad... "because Rock was already taken"

honestly I think its just a name they made up for the style

15. Don't quote me because I need to dig out my Victorian fashion books, but it has to deal with the pleating\gathers as mentioned above. It's a specific type of gathering that was done. A very fancy type of gathering in layers, and I believe that dress was called a Victorian Fer. Because I remember seeing it in one of my books and thinking, 'Oh, so that's where they got it.' Because I've also seen it in many old cabinet card photos.

16. Nice. Please dig, and if possible, if you can scan a picture of the example they gave? That would be amazing just for curiosity's sake. Thank you :)

17. I've been wondering this myself since my friend is selling one! Please keep us updated on what you find out...and why am I not surprised that Dollheart didn't answer???

18. Oh YEAH! I am loving that there may be an answer to this! Thank you, Kohaku Tenshi! I hope you DO get a firm confirmation on this by your search. I'm entrigued!

19. Its not a noob question, I've always wondered about it... @_@

20. I like the ideas posited so far. I hope we can trace back the name; I've always wondered where it came from. When I first started reading DoA, I was mystified by the term "fer". Pretty dress and coat, but why call it that? *airplane soars overhead*