1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Omukae Ceremony

Oct 7, 2004

1. Anyone have information on the price for a ceremony, if any?

2. I've only talked to friends who did the ceremony at Tenshi no Sato, but as far as I know it's all free. The only thing is, you generally need to "reserve" a ceremony time ahead of time.

3. Hmmm, any idea if you can E-mail a showroom beforehand in Japanese and request a time? Or do you have to submit some other sort of written request? And any idea how far in advance you need to arrange it?

Thanks so much for your help! :grin:

4. (I'm sorry, I don't know whether or not it's alright to resurrect old threads for new information here - I didn't see anything in the rules pertaining to it, and I didn't want to spam with a completely new thread, so someone please let me know if I've erred. ^^;)

For those of you who have done the ceremony, or are planning to, when did you choose to perform it? The day the doll arrived (which I've noticed is a common method of selecting a birthdate), or after the face-up is finished? Is there a standard, or is it a "When you feel it's right" sort of thing? At first I was thinking that it would seem odd to have them on seperate days - but then I remembered that there are cultures that do precisely that, so now I'm reconsidering.

5. well, I don't think many have tried the ceremony on their own without doing it at the Volks store... but maybe someone has...?

Most people celebrate their dolls' birthday when the doll arrives at their house. Though some choose to celebrate it when the doll is painted (ie if the doll comes in peices with no paint, they may choose to celebrate when the doll is assembled and painted.)

many SDs go under various repaints and transformations though, so most people don't celebrate the birthday everytime it is repainted if you see what i mean. :D

I am trying to go to Japan and do the ceremony at a Volks store,... I'm seriously tempted once I do, to change that doll's birthday to the day I had the ceremony in Japan, even though as of now she'd already have one (an arrival date birthday)

so really you can do it however feels right to you!

and yes, how you responded to the thread is SUPER! it keeps thread #s down and keeps discussion cohesive. :D thankuuuuuuu :chibi :chibi

6. Annie and Kuja had one, I believe, and this thread was linked over there. I wasn't sure if that meant private ceremonies were going on more often now, or not. ^^;

7. well then, you must be right! :)

8. Hey guys! ^^

As ScarletSeraph said, I performed a ceremony to 'awaken' Kuja. I didn't feel as though I needed a translation of what the guys at Volks say, nor did I feel the need to have to go to Japan just to have it performed (tho going there would be nice ^^; )

I bought a candle that I though suited Kuja's personality, lit it and simply said 'Welcome Home' in Japanese, before blowing it out. Thats all- short and sweet ^^

It all depends on what you feel is right, if you want to awaken them once they arrive or rather when they're 'complete' (like I did) then that's perfect. It's your choice!

I don't see the ceremony as something 'exclusive' to Volks, i see it as a way of bringing them to be part of your life :)

-Annie and Kuja

9. no, I totally agree, I mean I've never even had a ceremony for any of my dolls and I very much feel that they are very special and a part of me.

that being said, I'm looking forward to going to volks store and trying it :)

10. Hi, Aimee; I hope I'm not committing "thread necromancy" here, but actually contributing...

Kasai arrived on Chinese New Year this year (how very auspicious! ^^), but he doesn't think he's actually an Aquarius. Therefore, I'm waiting for him to tell me exactly when it's right to do his Omukae ceremony / Birthday celebration, though in the meantime he's already got some kind of life going already; I just can't keep this active and curious boy in a box! ^^.

In my own spiritual path, doing ceremonies to imbue specific things with one's intent and / or the equivalent of a "life essence" relevant to oneself is not at all an odd or strange thing. I knew from before he even arrived that this would be something I would be doing, because I knew before I got him that he had a connection to me - he absolutely INSISTED on coming to live with me, and I don't even consider myself a "doll person"! (Maybe I'm wrong? :p ). Therefore, the Volks "Omukae" ceremony concept does not seem in the least bit strange to me. However, I also do not feel that it is necessary to follow the exact particulars of the Volks store method, if one feels a strong calling and insight on how one might do it oneself.

So, to clarify: I think that for those to whom this sort of thing has an importance regarding the life of their dolls (and I for one do think they have rather a certain life of their own!) - follow your heart and the advice of your doll. It will not lead you wrong. ^^

11. I've read the other threads relating to this, but they're all pretty old and I'd really like to hear about the experiences of those who have had Omukae ceremonies for their dolls. Either by Volks or at home.

When did you have the ceremony? What did you do/say? How did you feel afterwards? Did it make you feel bonded with your doll, make them feel more alive? Have you had any negative experiences with Omukae ceremonies? Why did you choose to have one? Have you any pictures to share?

Thank you! :daisy

-Kitari

12. Oooo... I'd like to know, too. Great question Kitari!
      I just read about one of these ceremonies in Haute Doll. I was curious how people without acess to a Volks ceromony might have one of their own.

13. What is one?

14. Yes! I'd like to know how it can be done without going to Volks too!

If you want to see pictures, theres some on the 'Fallen From Briah' site HERE
      I hope she doesn't mine me posting that :oops:

15. Oh! I held one! ^_^

(Im about to hold another one soon too X3 Mweheheh)

When did you have the ceremony?
      I held the ceremony when Kuja was "complete" in that he had a face-up, modded to the way he was meant to be, had the proper hair and clothes and I had chosen his candle.

What did you do/say?
      If you see a Volks ceremony, what they do is light two candles, one for you and one for the doll, then they say many blessings about hopes for you two to live together as friends and all that. then they blow out the candles.

For me, I chose a candle that reminded me of my boy, then I lit it. Holding it near him, I simply said "Okaeri, Kuja." Which means "Welcome Home Kuja" then blew the candle out! ^_^

How did you feel afterwards?
      I felt very...i dunno. Whole? Like I finally carried out and finished bringing him home.

Did it make you feel bonded with your doll, make them feel more alive?
      Yes it certainly did because it felt like I brought him home and now he was truly here.

Have you had any negative experiences with Omukae ceremonies?
      None whatsoever ^_^

Why did you choose to have one?
      Hn...I guess because I wanted to fully make him feel mine and at home here in our weird world.

Have you any pictures to share?
      Certainly! ^_^ Only two though

[​IMG]
      Taken right before

[​IMG]
      That evening

I hope that helps! :) I know Zoi_no_Miko and KiasakiSama held one- perhaps they'll share!

*prods Zoi and Nikki XDDDD*

-Annie love love

16. Thanks Annie for sharing your experience, Kuja looks lovely in his Omukae attire.

17. Is there a way that defines the ceremony procedure?
      like do things have to be done a certain way or is there room to welcome the doll creatively...
      ie// open it from the coffin...light incense instead of a candle...

I guess... what are the basics of running it?

(for example, a marriage i suppose... the off the top basics are 1.) witnesses 2.)document 3.)ring 4.)vowels and kiss? )

But non basics are that to having it in a church, garden, beach..e.t.c and you don't need a priest ... the ring-bearer and flower girl are extras...e.t.c

18. wow :o
      can you do one yourself like diy ceremony
      or only the ones that is held in a proper place with a proper "doll priest" count?

19. Hi~! I had an Omukae Ceremony at the Sumika in Shinjuku when I got Tsuruki. Unfortunately, I went alone so no pictures (;_;) but it was a nice experience :)

- When did you have the ceremony?
      I had it on May 30th of this year, a month to the day after I ordered Tsuruki through FCS.

- What did you do/say?
      -I- didn't say much of anything during the ceremony. The Volks store man did all the talking. As my Japanese isn't the greatest I could only catch snippets of what he said, but it was stuff about how they hoped that our lives together would be full of happiness and whatnot :) It was very sweet. The music they played near the end made me feel a bit awkward though, "Tonight I Celebrate My Love For You"... o.O When there's lyrics about "making love" during a doll ceremony... it made me giggle ^^;;

- How did you feel afterwards? Did it make you feel bonded with your doll, make them feel more alive?
      It definitely made me feel MORE like Tsuruki was very special. It was definitely a marvelous experience and I will be doing it again in...January I think.

- Have you had any negative experiences with Omukae ceremonies?
      The only negative thing I found (and it's not REALLY negative) is that people you don't know can watch if they happen to be in the store at the time your ceremony starts. It was a little embarassing for me and made me wish even more that I'd had a friend or acquaintance that could have been there with me for it. But, it wasn't TOO bad.

- Why did you choose to have one?
      At first, I decided against it because I had no idea what it entailed and feared it would be a little on the overboard side. But I found TabletopPhantom's description and pictures and I thought it wouldn't be so bad :) I'm not going to be in Japan forever and I probably won't be back for a long while, so it's important to do as many things as I can while I'm here.

- Have you any pictures to share?
      Unfortunately no ;_; 'cos I was alone.

20. I think you can hold one yourself =n.n=
      It would be kool to have supplies for your own ceremony to buy... like a doll shop that offered special products used for your ceremony.... (shop idea!_)

But a proper doll priest..wow.. i would personally only count the company who made the doll as my proper doll priest XD...so i guess a proper place and a doll priest aren't necessary to welcome your doll into your world =n.n=