1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Omukae Ceremony

Oct 7, 2004

1. I'd love the idea of a welcoming ceremony. Why don't you guys ask about it at the LA store once FCS orders start coming in? I'm sure they'd do it in english there.

And.. They give you clothes if you do it? Cause all the FCS box-opening pic stories I've seen have had the doll resin-butt-naked. >.<;

Oh, and about the mass welcoming ceremony at conventions.. That'd be SO awesome. It could start to be like a regular event at conventions and such, a way to welcome new dolls and their owners into the 'clique' of sorts. A lot of people have posted about feeling out of place when they go to their first con and I personally think that'd help them warm up a bit. Because really, unless it happened at EVERY convention, I'd miss it cause the soonest I'll be going to anything will be in three years. (Luckily then I'll live right by portland and they have meets like weekly! XD )

2. Maybe I'll just tell Pris to pack her bags.

"Were goin to Vegas sugar!"

3. That would be cool to see a con welcoming ceremony. However...all the meetups I've been too...there has been up to five or six dolls...mine included. So the ceremony would be kinda personal on my end of the scale. However, my dolls knew they were alive when they got here.

4. Yeah, I mean mostly for people who -just- got their dolls though. Like ifyou go there with one or two of your dolls and are like introducing everyone to the new doll... Maybe just for those cases? And of course only if you wanted it.

5. 1) I believe a ceremony is optional and actually has to be requested. I doubt Volks would wish to make people go through it who didn't want to.

2) I'm not sure that Tenshi no Sumika in LA is even prepared to have any Omukae ceremonies! Volks might only offer this option in Japan, as a cultural thing! Perhaps we can get the input of Bailey or Zillah?

6. I photographed a ceremony for a friend at the Shinjuku store. If you order a FCS, Volks will ask if you'd like to do the ceremony, but it's certainly not required. If you don't want to do it then, or have a non-FCS Volks doll, you can schedule a ceremony any time for free. The artists/sculptors don't come for it. It's just the usual store staff, you and whoever you'd like to bring, and anybody who happens to be in the store and feels like watching.

I haven't done it myself. I don't think Jeremie would look happy in the omukae box... especially since it appears to be about the same size as an ordinary SD/SD13 packing box, which is not large enough for a long-legged SD13 boy with big shoes. But the more I think about it, the funnier the prospect of stuffing him into the box sounds, so maybe I'll do it after all. :lol:

7. Resurrecting an old thread here.... I didn't have naming ceremonies for any of my other dolls, but I'm seriously considering holding my own little ceremony for my Serendipity Shall. Since finally modding her eyes and giving her a complete new face-up and wardrobe, she's like a completely new doll and I've been feeling her old name of Talula just doesn't suit her anymore. The name Amethyst keeps suggesting itself to me (or perhaps she's finally telling me her true name! :love), so perhaps a naming ceremony would be just the thing to establish her in her new form and personality.

I have ideas already for how I'll do it; expect a photoshoot up in the Gallery in the not-too-distant future! :)

8. haha ya i thought the same too!! i was like...woah...scary O.O !! but it does look kool ^^ !

9. I had my own ceremony for Alexis when I got her. She had previously belonged to my roommate, and had a different name. As a Pagan I felt it was important to cleanse her before she officially became mine. I used the pillows that came inside of her box to lay her on, and lit candles and placed them around her. I cast a circle and did all of my usual ritual setup. Then I spoke to my doll and told her that she would be well cared for, and that her presence would always be respected in my home. Then I gave Alexis her name, and drew three tarot cards from my deck to represent aspects of the personality I wanted to project onto her. Then I blew out the candles and finished my ritual. It was a very good bonding experience for us.

10. Did I understand correctly? You can also have a ceremony for a non-FCS Volks doll? Because when I go to Japan in (near) future, I intend to buy Magical Michael (if he isn't sold out) from one of their stores. It would be wonderful if I could have a ceremony for him!

And can you have a ceremony for a doll that has a Volks head but a different body?

11. to me its a lil wierd but very interesting to me! if you go to youtube.com and type in dollfie there is a video about super dollfies and there is a segment or two with the naming ceremony in it i think its this one

12. T^T !!! me toooo

13. I have seen an omukae ceremony at my local Osaka store. It was a bit formal, but also relaxed and friendly. I got to chat with the girl having her ceremony, who was there alone. Everyone was smiling afterwards, it was a lovely and special atmosphere.

So, when I did my FCS at Sato I decided to sign up for the ceremony too. Later that day, I was able to witness one and see what I'd got myself into -- and now I am nervous and almost don't want to do it! Long red carpet, big altar, loads of onlookers... My Japanese isn't very good and whilst I could sort of follow it as an onlooker, I'm worried that I won't know when to do what, when it's me up there. My doll will be finished next month, any advice?

Does anyone know what Japanese phrasing they use before you're supposed to blow out the candles or hold your doll?

14. i was wondering about that... do they?

also, i am in the process of planning my own ceremony. sort-of. i'm christian though and i'm a bit worried that this borders on pagan rituals (no offense whatsoever to the pagans here)... the idea does appeal to me though ^^;; maybe i won't "breathe life" per se, but more so like a christening ceremony when babies are named in church, welcome him and promise to always be a good owner and never ever chuck him aside or forget about him.

15. No offense taken. Honestly, if you are planning your own ceremony, or whatever you choose to call it, you can do whatever you wish.:love That's the beauty of doing it yourself, tailor it to your own beliefs, only do it in a way that YOU are comfortable. Just remember, it's a bonding experience with your doll, have fun with it!:)

16. I'll probably do my own ceremony...similar to volks, but as pagandollfie said, it'll most likely be short and a little silly, as it's simply a way to bond and have fun, imo ^^

17. Does anyone know any specific details about the ceremony? Or have any of you actually had it done or performed it yourself? I'd love to know more about it
      Please share with me :fangirl:

18. Oh thank-you all so much! This helps alot!

19. Since my Dream of Doll kids will never have an "official" ceremony, I conducted my own for their second birthday in December, one night I had to myself.

I bought some evergreen branches, little flowers and candles from the grocery store, and arranged everything in their photo cube. It was basically just a time for me to appreciate their beauty and what I had done with them for two years.

Because I love reading with them, and to give it a ceremonial aspect, I read the poem "Mutability," by P. B. Shelley (my Tender Too's namesake) aloud.

Pictures are posted here.

20. Please tell me about your naming ceremony! I did not do a ceremony of naming for Vincent or Dina, they did not seem to want such a thing. My little girl Baha wants a naming ceremony though, so I am asking for ideas. I'll come up with *something* but if there is any kind of tradition I'd like to take part in it.