1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Omukae Ceremony

Oct 7, 2004

1. OMG!!!! ROFL!!! I loved it. It seemed no more crazy than any other religious ceremony I have ever witnessed! The blessing was lovely and the dancing dismembered doll was about as bizarre as anything!

2. The reason why I had dancing doll parts was to resemble the part in the bible where dead bones come to life, in other words the parallel between the life been blown into the doll via the candle, kinda similar, I thought it would be quite a good interpretation.

Thats interesting I am not aware of this please would you explain....

really this was just a tongue in cheek ceremony, it was more of an artistic expoloration really, the thing I have done is name the spirit directly, ie Jesus in my case where as Japan they put it down to a higher spiritualism, a higher self awareness and don't name it directly, Nivana if you like.
      To me I am using the doll as a vessel as a confirmation of faith, I am not praying to the doll itself, the doll is not a god in this, I am using the doll as a vehicle to use as a way of a transportation for the gospel, if you listen to the words I could be talking about Jesus himself, instead of Anthony the doll, it depends how deep you look into it, yes I agree it does seem bizzarre on surface but you have to penetrate the layers to know what I am getting at really, there is a synopsis attached to the video on youtube if you want more info on my crazy creations lol! If you understand where I am coming from you will probably see its quite an intelligent piece of work, probably my best so far lol! Hehe well I think so, I knew it was gonna stir up a bit of discussion though :-P

thanks for your comments much appreciated :D

3. Oh I'm no expert on Judeo-Christian tradition or anything, but I did take some classes in Orthodox Judaism at one time... and as a doll person I did note with dismay the injunction against "images" (to include dolls and sculpture of humans). The Muslims go one step further and ban all images, even those of animals (and sometimes plants) limiting their art expression to geometrics (though they've taken this to a sublime level, truly, "limit" is not a good choice of word, but I'm no great writer). I suppose you could find out more about these things by Googling them.

I thought your ceremony was delightful, and I "get" it, but Christianity (especially) is so different in the UK and Europe compared to in the USA, so it was a surprise to me. I had to click on all those links at YouTube to find out where you were from... and when I saw it was the UK I was like "Okay, that explains a lot" ^_~

I'm glad you're patient with us, I hope I don't come across at all as sounding judgemental. Though I find religion an interesting subject, and tried being religious before, I'm afraid I have too irreverent a personality to take things seriously, though I'm well aware others do!

Raven

4. Hehe, thanks for the info, banning of images are mens decisions, I think its important to decide for yourself, its all too easy getting weighed down with tradition or someone's ideal, thats the great thing about now all our cultures mixing, dolls are harmless as anything else, its just when you start holding them up as false idols I suppose the danger comes in, or being too extreme in any direction religious or otherwise. I definitely don't want to come accross as a bible puncher, I enjoy free thinking and mixing things up, I think its ok, in fact I think all belief systems tie together anyway, hence the reason for this video, just thought it would be interesting to explore :-)

I suppose you think us Brits are a bit errr eccentric hehe, its what makes Britain great lol! I am very into Syd Barrett, who was the founder member of Pink Floyd, now he is a story to be told all by himself lol!

5. I'd love to do it in Japan,but that's if I ever get to go ^^;;

Being Pagan,I have done two consecrating and cleansing rituals for both my decks of tarot cards. I've explained to my boyfriend that I'm pagan and I told him what handfasting was also :) so he accepts that.

I'm just a bit scared of doing my own Omukae Ceremony.. I don't know what he'd think about it if I told him I'd do one. -_- My two other pagan friends wouldn't probably mind it though, I hope! I'd like to do it for Aleister when he comes home ^.^

6. In Judaism, the banning of images, or graven idols, is only related to religious context. D: It has nothing to do with secular life. (As in dolls.) :sweat
      I think you are referring to the "The Mishna", correct?

Only Islam extends this concept to regular depictions of people in everyday life.

7. Yes, only idols that a person might worship are banned. One of the ten commandmets is not to create graven images and bow down before them, to worship them as if they were a god. Oh, but Islam is not the only religion which banns depictions of people; Amish(is that how it is spelled?)believe graven images of people are wrong. Have you ever seen an Amish doll? Their faces are blank.

8. Hehe my husband had better be glad that the only ceremonial type thing i want to do is when i finally have my doll and have it fully painted and clothed me, my husband and my new doll are going to go out to dinner at the most expensive Japanese restaurant here "Sakura" ooh very good food! to celebrate it's birthday as a completed and named doll! My treat so my husband is all too happy to come along and is not worried or embarrassed in the least bit about sitting next to a doll in a very high end restaurant! hehe i had better watch out or he will want one next! if that happens he gets to buy the celebration dinner for his doll! I don't know about doing anything else, I mean i have charged/released chakra crystals for use, created and charged/blessed wands, worked with pagan and wicken (I know that is not the right spelling) dealt with good and bad items and multiple religions, though i was born into and still am of a particular religion. Which i do not tell everyone, as i believe religion is a personal thing and is to be shared only if another person asks you too. I have found for me that if i do something too sacred or ceremonial to an object that i own i am cursed with the the result that if i keep that object it will be inevitably destroyed! If i give it away good fortune seems to follow them :) and as i want to keep my doll for a very long time! in one piece!!!!all it gets is a special dinner and pictures!

9. That sounds cool! I'll have to do that for Joyce