1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

One doll is good enough!....or Is it?

Oct 22, 2009

1. When I first got started and didnt know much about BJDs, my first thought was. "I will only get one. I will probably use him as a art model." Well.. that said, and a few years later, I have ten! Lol. They best phrase to go with BJD collecting Iv heard of is, "They are like chips! Once you have had one, you gotta have more!" Hehe.

I know there are a few people out there who have one doll, and are content with one though, which is perfectly fine! There is no rule saying you have to have more then one doll. Its just hard to stop at one. There are just so many companies, and so many different beautiful dolls out there its hard to stop.

2. I suppose that one is enough, but, the truth teaches me .........

3. Nope, never even considered having just one. In fact my first BJD was actually two. I can never seem to have just one doll of any type as they seem so lonely & out of place. Of course, I never planned on having as many as I do but resin is addictive so what can I say?

4. Ha-ha-ha. Yeah, lots of threads on this topic and pretty much they all say the same thing; we all started out saying just one would suffice but once we get there we find another lust object that we have to have and thus our ever increasing collection of BJDs.:doh It is possible to just have one though, but the majority of people on this site tend to start off with one and then on from there.

I sometimes wonder if I didn't get my friend and my fiance into the hobby, I wouldn't have gone beyond the one doll. I was totally content with her and her wardrobe was certainly becoming impressive. But meh! Like any good hobby, it was bound to go beyond the first one. :lol: Especially with my addictive personality! Ha-ha-ha.

5. Oh, how could I settle for just one... I don't think I even started with the concept of just one, wanting to have at least one in each of the major size groups. Having done that (ahem...) now I realize I really need a doll with a child's body, also maybe a boy, and so on, etc. etc. so forth and ad infinitum. Money is a stumbling block, though, as well as space.

6. At the beginning I wanted only a boy and a girl. Then it happened that my first girl (serendipity Alice) wasn't the girl that I wanted (SD Megu) to have initially. So I promised myself to order Megu one day and then I liked another boy a few months after I got El. I've bought my first doll in 2005 and at the end of the year I had 3 dolls.

The main reason why I wanted to own only 2 dolls was because they are so expensive, but once you've got your first doll, you are already lost.

At the moment I have only seven dolls. I guess they would be more, if I wouldn't have other expensive hobbies. All is good as long as I avoid certain websites which sell dolls and doll items and visiting DoA is dangerous too, because it makes me hungry for more.

7. I was like that...it´s so expensive...I´ll be okay with one! But then when I saw how beautifull he is I just wanted more and now I have idea for three moreXD

8. Forgive me if the topic's come up before, but...

We've all heard of one child families, are there any doll owners content with having just one doll?

In my personal experience, I got my first (and soon to be only) Howard. I still love him to bits, had him for just over a year. Then I got a second doll on a whim, there was no bond :/ It just wasn't the same. I didn't feel the other boy was *special* in the way Howard was...

So, am I the only one? I mean of course I drool over beautifull dollies, because they're beautiful. But I have no desire to buy one. Maybe some day, but I'm perfectly happy to spoil my boy rotten until that day comes, if it does.

9. Whoops! Spotted a thread along the lines of this, but the question of that one was. "Have you ever thought you'd buy only one but then suddenly have more than one?"

10. Well, I suppose that even posting in this thread is a sure-fire way to jinx myself, but I have said just one and I have just one...and soon just none with anticipation of ordering another just one. Who knows if it will be the same way three years from now, but at the moment I'm a one-doll kinda girl (and have been for about a year or so).

It isn't a money issue, either. Financially, I could definitely afford to buy more dolls. I just... don't really want to. I haven't ~specifically~ limited myself to "just one doll," either. I figured I'd get whatever I was really drawn to. It's just happened that I'm not particularly susceptible to most ball-jointed doll releases (phew!!), so my doll quantity has remained low. :3

11. I actually knew that I wouldn't be able to stop at just one. I haven't even received my first yet, but that will be soon. And coming with her is her floating head friend. :) And then will come his body. And on, and on.... XD

12. I only want three.

That is what I say now, hope I stick to it! (Oh, please let me stick to it. I don't need another expensive hobby...)

13. I knew before I even got my first one that I wanted more.
      I'm saving up for my second right now. ^^

14. Never enough! I knew I wouldn't settle with one, but that's because I'm easily captivated with some doll's beauty. There was a time when I wanted, like, 10 dolls. That number has decreased to 4, but I have a feeling that the number will surely rise (again...).

15. Amir was supposed to be the only one in the house. But he was lonely. So....now I'm getting my 7th for christmas. lol

16. oi, I would've thought just one, but then a whole story develops and I don't want my character to be alone lol. It somehow doesn't seem right to have just one with me ^^;

17. I knew I wanted to get at least two... because I thought one would look so lonely sitting alone... then I started reading the photo stories here, and getting stories in my head for the dolls I have my eye on... so yep, I'll eventually have more than one!

18. Before I ordered Russel I was very sure I wanted just one. By the time he got here I was already planning other ones though, so I never really considered I'd only ever own one. The problem is, initially you look at the price and pop your eyes at it, but as soon as you spent that much money on one doll you start getting used to the prices and it doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore...

A few months after I got him I bought another head, and a few months after that I spontaneously (well, with a thought period of two weeks as opposed to a months) I bought Michael.

Now I have another one on the way, but honestly... I'm happy with just Michael, while Russel is back home since I'm in college and I couldn't bring them both. We'll see how it goes, but I may just end up being the rare one-doll collector. :lol: