1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

One expensive doll or multiple cheaper ones?

Jan 28, 2020

1. Like others have said, it depends - is that one doll going to be "complete" as just a beautiful doll or stand-alone character, or are they a shell for a character who will not be complete without their best friend, significant other, a whole cast of other characters, etc.? If you get joy out of having the dolls/characters they embody interact, then having only one doll might not be as enjoyable as having several. On the other hand, I completely see the appeal of having one special doll that gets all the attention and creative concentration.

2. For me, I prefer the one I love, even if it's very expensive, over the quantity. The truth that I'm not owning too many BJDs at this time, and only currently playing with just a few one.
      At present, my only choice is Volks, even though Volks' resin BJDs are more expensive than BJDs from most of other brands. Although the reason I chose Volks isn't because of its price (though I think the average BJDs price is usually cheaper) but its quality, the feeling when touching and playing with, the large availability of different sculpts, the ability to order with my own request style, etc...
      My target is owning a Volks PS Bisque BJD, my grail at this time, but it's really really hard now.

3. It doesn't really matter to me. My current "grail" doll that it is my possession cost me less than $200 brand new, not secondhand lmao. "Inexpensive" does not always equal poorer quality, either... at least from what I've seen, handling my own dolls.

Now if I had to choose... I'd rather just a bunch of "inexpensive" ones, since a lot of those I seem to really like their sculpts more than expensive ones.

4. Yup! Really tricky question! In my opinion, I wanted to buy the guy that I love whatever the price he is. Then if the price so high I will deal with layaway :XD: isn’t it easier than think about the expensive one or cheaper one?
      Otherwise I think a doll is invaluable for the one who loves him/her.:thumbup

5. I fully understand you, and I was in a similar situation - twice. One was even more difficult, as the doll was limited and already sold out. The other one is limited as well and far above anything I am willing to pay even for a grail doll.

So both pretty much impossible to get. Consequently, I took a whole other route. I searched for dolls whose sculpt would fit my bill. I did this for one of my characters. For the other one, I transferred the concept onto another doll and merged the two together.

That is another option you have.

6. I'm a big proponent of "quality over quantity". Now, "quality" is subjective to each individual person. Quality to one person could mean an expensive doll, or a doll they've loved for 10 years. Quality to another person could mean the doll they think is made the nicest, or ticks all the right boxes for them. As long as the doll brings you joy and you love it dearly, that is all that matters.

I do not like buying dolls on impulse or simply because they are a good price. If I didn't pine for the doll for a long time (whether or not that constitutes a "grail"), I consider it a risk to buy. Over the years I have learned that my impulses or trying to buy more and more without considering how much I really WANT something has gotten me in trouble. Its harder to bond with dolls you don't have a passion for, and I ended up just selling many of them.

A few of my dolls I have now were grails to me. They were expensive, and of good quality, and I wanted them for years. Now I have them and I am very satisfied. When I look at them, I get the feeling of immense joy that I do not feel with my impulse or random purchases.

The doll you're referencing sounds like it may be a limited release or a short-lived opportunity to buy something you've wanted for a while. I would definitely go for it. You can always save up for more dolls later if you want to add to your hoard, whereas you may not get this chance again. But justifying a large purchase for a "grail" is easier than multiple small purchases for dolls that just make you say "meh". It all will probably end up being the same amount in the end, so you should do what will make you happiest!

7. It definitely depends. For me if it were a grail I would ho for it in a heartbeat, especially because a lot of the cheaper dolls (minis, tinies, etc) can be pretty easy to find secondhand most of the time. But if it's something I know the artist will make more of and the cheaper ones are more limited I would get those

8. It all depends on how much value they would have to you! It's different for everyone of course.
      Personally, I don't like to spend much on this hobby. I stick to one cheap doll. But many others feel that the really big purchases are well worth it for them.

9. If the price of the doll is on the higher end of the spectrum I'm pickier about the quality of the doll and definitely won't buy the doll on an impulse after only seeing the sculpt for the first time. I'll do a lot of research to see if the price is justifiable and make sure that the resin from this company ages well.
      So far I've only bought one really expensive doll, my Volks DearSD Coco, and she is my most favorite doll from the moment I've received her. In the next few years I'm planning on getting my second really expensive doll who I've been pining for two years. I'm really looking forward to him since I'm sure that he'll remain in my collection for a long time.

But overall I can't say that I prefer expensive dolls to cheaper ones. I think that there are beautiful dolls in every price range and as long as you do your research before buying either one, I'm sure that they'll give you a lot of joy:3nodding:

10. Hmmn, I can't afford to be picky but space, clothes, wigs, eyes-- all that will cost more if you have to buy more of it. The cost might even out at certain amount, so I say at least make sure you like the sculpt. Heck, even modding tools might drive up cost if it turns out the cheaper doll has flaws like asymmetry!

So honestly either route, put a ton of research into any doll you get. Know the problems with the sculpt no matter what.
      Browse the cynical end of the hobby along with the supportive. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Although I say that and I bought a cheap doll I've only seen 1 owner with across the net, and am eyeing another with similarly absent reviews. I at least found out the problems of one, and am going to give what I couldn't find; reviews, examination, and feedback.

11. Regardless of price, I'd rather have the doll I love than a bunch I don't. If you love the one expensive one more than all of your others, I'd sell them and buy it. If not, I wouldn't sacrifice them all.

12. I don't really worry about quality vs quantity. I buy the doll I feel compelled to buy. I do like a "quality" doll, which for me is about an artistic style, a certain show of sculpting skill, and thoughtful engineering. I buy a lot of heads from people that don't make bodies, so I am usually buying parts to assemble rather than full dolls, which can be more or less expensive depending on what I decide I need.

If the doll I want is pricey I pay more, if the doll is less expensive, yay for me. One doll being less expensive doesn't mean I suddenly buy a bunch more dolls just because I saved some money. That "savings" would probably go to buying something else for the new doll.

If you (general you) are in the hobby for years and keep buying dolls it is likely you'll end up with a quantity of dolls whether they were more or less expensive at the outset - it won't matter. You could buy a whole bunch of less expensive dolls right when you start collecting - but say five years later you've filled up all your doll space and you still want more dolls. Then you're buying and selling to work with the space you have vs the new dolls you want. My advice would be - try to take a longer view of what you want for your collection. (with all the waiting you do in the hobby, a long view is multiply helpful)

13. One grail doll for sure. With that being said, I don't think cost really makes (or breaks!) a grail. I know plenty of people who love dolls from less expensive companies, and that love shows through how beautifully they style their dolls. You wouldn't put that much effort into a doll you only bought because it was cheap! :lol: Similarly, there are lots of dolls that cost more than my doll whose aesthetics I really don't care for. You should buy the doll that makes you the happiest.

If it comes down to having to sell off the rest of your collection, ask yourself if having this one doll would be worth selling the rest. For some people, that's an easy yes, but you also might not want to part with the rest of your collection. If the thought of that makes you unhappy, it might be best to just enjoy the doll through other people.

Additionally, you have to consider things like needing five dolls to sell, only managing to sell two in time, and then losing out on both your complete collection and the doll (although you do have extra money, so there is that haha). It's not going to be the same answer for everyone. You'll find that even super coveted, limited edition dolls end up on the secondhand marketplace one day, so a third option could be to start up a "Next Time" savings.

14. I'm very much a "quality over quantity" person, so assuming the expensive doll was the one I wanted the most, I would definitely go for that instead of buying multiple dolls I don't like as much.

15. For me, buying a doll is not about the quantity, or even the quality, but whether the doll appeals to me. I have seen extremely expensive dolls that I wouldn't want given to me, and I've seen very inexpensive dolls for which I have a quiet longing.

That having been said, if I had $500 to spend freely, I would rather get one doll that I fell in love with than half a dozen dolls that I felt meh about. The one who has the most dolls does not win. The winner has the doll (or dolls) they truly love.

16. Only one grail. Or two... :sweat

17. I live in a country with one of the most damaged economies in the world, so when I think about bjd prices everything seems too high *_*
      But I prefer saving for the grail doll although she is more expensive than other regular ones...
      My first bjd was Lady Oscar:roll:. With shipping and customs she cost me over 1800 usd but I love her so no regrets:whee:

18. I will buy the dolls that I like the most. Of course I too have to set a budget and make choices (and I have never heard of anyone in this hobby who didn't), but to me in that sense money is just a means to get something I enjoy, so I'll save up for the one expensive doll that I really want rather than buy two cheaper dolls that are nice but nothing special.

Okay, okay, I admit I have bought a couple "nice" dolls just because they were so cheap, and it is nice being able to be so carefree with them as opposed to my over 1000 USD boys, but those were when I had a little extra money on me and it didn't lead to leaving behind something I would have wanted more. Actually the doll that mostly hangs out with me is the cheapest one I have.

I'm also generally into super limited/wanted dolls (I just end up liking the rare sculpts because I don't see them online to satisfy my eyes lol), so my preferences in general tend to be expensive, and I have gotten used to it and the fact that I cannot "catch 'em all".

19. Get the doll you love whatever the price is. You'll be happier in the long run.

20. omg! I want to buy all dolls I like! And It doesn't matter Grail or common. If it's possible I will buy it may be with layaway option.. I am in love with bjd's