1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

One expensive doll or multiple cheaper ones?

Jan 28, 2020

1. Meh, I like some "inexpensive" sculpts better than even my "grails" though? It's just that they're so hard to get! But if you want your grail a lot more you should go with that! I wouldn't sell my girls for a grail of mine though, I love them so much.

2. For me, the cheaper doll can sometimes be my current must have/ grail doll. I go for the doll that I want. If I thought a more expensive doll was what I really wanted, then I would save up for that one, because I know that would make me happiest.

If I was on the fence about it though, and saw a cheaper doll that I liked about the same, or maybe a bit more I would go for the cheaper one. If the more expensive one was limited and I couldn't get it later, I would go for that one if I really liked it, but if it isn't and I like a less expensive one more, I would get the less expensive one.

Honestly, just buy what makes you happiest. If it makes you happiest to have only one very expensive doll that you have to scrap and save for, then get that doll, if you really like the other dolls and would miss them terribly, then keep them.

3. That's a hard question-- Ideally, I want to say I'd prefer one doll that is really meaningful to me over multiple cheaper ones. But in practice, I'm much more likely to do multiple cheaper dolls because I can get them sooner and try out all kinds of things with them! I love variety and it's easier to achieve that when each doll is a smaller investment.

4. This hobby can get expensive fast, so you have to go for what will make you the happiest. Whether that is having the one doll or having a small group for that same price, well, it depends on personal preference.

Right now I have my one doll. She is the most expensive doll I've ever purchased, but it was a case of just the absolute perfect doll for the character and she was in-stock. Because of that she's also outlasted every other doll I've purchased (and subsequently moved on) in this hobby.

5. Hi @Viridiansummer, I am in a similar situation. I think I would go for the grail doll. When I started I bought a bjd without having checked different companies, styles etc. just because I loved her face. Since then I have learned so much and discovered that I also find the build and especially posability really important. And the unique features of an artist doll. So now I have my eye on an expensive doll too, which means choices... I would love to know what your grail doll is?

6. You forgot multiple expensive dolls! LOL!

But, if I had a $1000 grail and the means to get it I would.

7. I don't really have grails per se. I tend to base my options on what best fits the character I'm planning out in that moment, and the right choice could be expensive, on the cheaper side, or somewhere in between. I also don't often find myself all that interested in the $1000+ price-tag dolls, as they're usually either fullsets in most cases (and I very rarely ever get interested in fullsets) or more artistic and less realistic individual artist bjds. I lean more towards mature realistic, so it's rare I get drawn to something like that.

If I had to make a choice between one expensive or several cheaper—I'm going to compromise. I'll get the expensive head sculpt (since heads are easier to obtain for reasonable prices, but if it's only available as a full doll, I'd either pass on it or shop the secondhand market for it), and get a cheaper body for them to have until I can eventually save up for something better (unless a wad of cash happens to fall in my lap in the meantime :lol:)

But yeah—I don't go based off of a grail system, so I've got an interesting mixture of price ranged bjds. :3nodding:

8. Wouldn't sell my other dolls.
      I also have expensive grail dolls but I can't justify getting them. If I had the money to afford them I would feel obligated to rather help friends and family with the bills that month or put it aside if I ever need something important. But that's just me. I set myself a limite of 750 euro for one doll. Which is still much but usually with bday fundings I can manage!

But this is totally personal. While this is MY way of doing it, I would never judge someone if they bought a 1k or even 2 or 10k doll. It is your money. Follow your heart!

9. It doesn't matter about price if I want something I will save up until I able to but what i wanted. No point of getting something cheaper just to try to satisfy the more expensive thing I originally wanted.

10. Honestly I'd go for the grail, especially if it's going to be a limited run - you don't want to miss out and then regret it later!

11. Since all dolls are fairly expensive, I would choose the one that you love above all others. Spending a lot of fun money on something you won’t be thrilled with doesn’t make sense.

12. I'm always in favor of going for the doll that makes your heart sing and your eyes light up when you look at them. That might be the more expensive doll vs the less expensive ones that you like but not love or it might be the less expensive one vs the more expensive that you might feel obligated to buy because it's rare or limited. The one you'll miss if they're gone, the one you'll regret being "the one that got away", the one you can't stop thinking about, that's the one I'd get.

13. This question is really resonating with me, but I still think I manage to fall somewhere in the middle. Many of my "could never possibly sell" dolls are tinies and therefore (usually!) cheaper than bigger dolls. However, after being out of the hobby for several years I came back and found that 1) my tastes had changed and 2) I felt cluttered under several dolls that I liked but didn't feel inspired by.

I'm now finding myself in 2 camps, wanting one detailed storyline with cohesive dolls and characters and wanting to collect some dolls directly from some of my favorite artists (DaisyDayes, Batchix, Asella, Tender Creations) So I am in the process of selling off about half of my current collection and putting that money into some very expensive artist dolls I've had my eye on for many years. About 10 of the dolls I'm selling will hopefully help me get a grail doll (big $$$) and at this stage I feel like my creativity and inspiration in the hobby has increased so much just at the idea!

So ultimately I think my response would be somewhere in between.. maybe look at the dolls you have now and sell 1 or 2, especially if there is one you can't bear to let go. Then figure out everything else in your power to scrounge the money for the grail. I've been asking myself some rhetorical questions at this stage like "Can I see myself taking care of this doll in 10-20 years?" Some of my current dolls are 10+ years- so its going to happen! and "This doll is expensive, but if it's 'worth' decreased to $0 after I bought it, would I still be okay with that and be happy with my decision?"

Asking these questions about the dolls I have and the dolls I want has really helped me focus on the ones important to me. I will lug my tinies around from house to house for the rest of my days because I adore them, but I have other dolls I've purchased through the years that were limited and I catch myself thinking 'well, I'll keep them around and if I hit hard times I can always sell them' which tells me I associate them more with security and money than a cherished collection item.

14. I'd rather have fewer dolls I love than more dolls I only like. That doesn't mean I'd give up all of my less expensive dolls to afford pricier ones. I absolutely adore two of my least expensive dolls. I'm currently waiting for Atelier Momomoni to have another order period for one of their dolls and have decided to skip ordering a doll that's being discontinued as I like them less and want to have the money for I doll I really love.

15. Most of my dolls are second hand. Most of them are between 300-500 range for me. I am saving up for my Towa which with outfits will most likely cost around 700-800. I don't plan on spending more than 1000. But things can change.

16. After being in this hobby for a while, I say get the ones you really love if you can financially do so. I have some dolls that are more "reasonably" priced (cheapest at ~$441:)) to some that I paid Grail Doll prices after market (more than my wedding rings :sweat), but all of them are the dolls that I really wanted to have in my collection. I have some regrets back when I was super duper poor (Volks Suigintou :...(, original Volks Yukinojo :...(:...() that I wished I had gotten back when it was more easily available as the second hand and third hand market for them are insane to non-existent. However, I know with time and a lot of money saved up, I'll eventually get them. But for now, I know there a whole lot of other dolls available between now and then from so many different companies that it's not an urgency.

However, considering your situation, I think it depends on how attached you are to your current dolls and if they are easily replaceable in the future. If your current dolls are ones that you actually care about and are not that easy to obtain in the future in the second hand market, maybe hold off in selling them for the grail doll. On the other hand, if your other dolls are just items to you to help you get an idea of this hobby and you have no attachment to them, go ahead and sell them to get your grail doll (especially since it seems that your grail doll is going to be available in limited numbers from a very specific company).

My best friend had a similar situation, however, the dolls she sold were ones she was attached to. Some were somewhat easy to find again in the second hand market years later whereas others were so limited that it would be nearly impossible to find again unless they were heavily modded or she paid a premium price for. One grail doll she bonded with and still has while the other grail doll she didn't and I think she sold him soon afterwards.

Whatever you decide, it's up to you. As long as it makes you happy, then the choice was worth it. Good luck! :cheer

17. if the expensive doll is one I really like that one would be first then the others next

18. My first doll was an Iplehouse Mari. I thought I only needed 1 doll for the hobby. Somehow, the other dolls made their way to my house :chomp::chomp: Then, I said to myself, ' I can never have enough dolls.' :XD::XD:

19. I would go for resin ones instead of porcelain doll since porcelain is too fragile for me. Same for very expensive dolls. However, within the price range I can accept, I would always choose the grail doll.

20. I prefer buing dolls that I like. The price is not impotant. I will better save or go on layaway.