1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Only allowing yourself to buy "cheaper" dolls?

Sep 30, 2007

1. Well, personally I was in the market for a doll with half-closed eyes who looked a bit smug. My first choice was Homme Ducan, and I was perfectly willing to pay the $550 price tag.

But then I saw Angell-Studio Adam, who still fit my critera and was quite pretty in his own way. XD And he's almost half the price of Ducan, so!

I feel that if you see a cheaper mold that you like just as much, why not go for it?

However, I WILL draw the line at low-quality things, or suspicious deals. If I see a doll from a new company for $120, I'm most likely not even going to consider it until I know what they're like -- for example, I was okay with Bobobie bodies, but the price made me think they were probably insanely cheap.

(I now know that they're okay, but I'm just saying that my policy is "when in doubt, don't"...thanks for that, mom =_=)

Or if I could get a doll for $400 less...if I'm willing to put up with yellowing and damage. Why buy something that's already got a foot in the grave? D:

2. My first impression of the BJD world, before I did my research, was that it was a hobby for rich people ;) When I first checked out the different doll companies, the prices that were leaping out at me seemed to all be in the $1000+ range...*way* out of my league, price-wise. What I didn't realize was that I was looking at the limited collection and the full set dolls, not the basic, nude dolls. After I asked some questions and did more research, I found that the actual cost was far lower than I initially thought, and it was even lower for the smaller, MSD sized dolls. Finally, I could see that there were dolls that actually were in my price range!

We're fortunate that we have a wide variety to choose from, from the more pricey Volks dolls to new companies like Angel of Dream and OrientDoll, who make dolls that are just as gorgeous. I don't like to think of that in terms of "cheaper" because that assumes a lesser quality. They are less expensive than others and that's great, because we're getting quality and beauty for a lower price and that's not a bad thing!

If one can afford to purchase a limited addition Volks, that's wonderful that they can get the doll of their dreams. But OrientDoll Tae has dreamers, too, because he's a beautiful doll who just happens to be priced low. And that's wonderful too!

3. I just get whatever my dream doll is. I remember seeing a site talking about BJD, how magical they are and that you should go after the one that you want the most. Mine was Unoa Lusis, and when I found out the second market prices(before I knew about preorders, second market is around 1k) I was looking for a less expensive doll with the same charm, I ended up just getting what I truely wanted.
      I have nothing against less expensive dolls, I actually adore a few molds actually. :) But if they aren't exactly what you wanted then it wouldn't be a wise investment anyway. Let's face it, BJD aren't cheap, and even a hundred dollars is a lot to me. I'm not going to waste it on a doll that I won't love. So I'm just saving for what I want, some are expensive, some aren't...
      One is going to clean me out :...( Woosoo will definately be the holy grail at the very end.

4. ^^ Beautifully put!
      I wholly agree, and so I won't be redundant about it (as long as the poster doesn't mind that I just skipped doing explaining myself. @_@)
      The only thing I have to add to this is personal experience; I jumped for a Dollzone Shoyu thinking that she was really for me. What I think I really did, to my chagrin, was this; I bought her because of her cheaper price and the fact that she was a lovely MOLD..... I didn't really think as to whether or not she was for ME. Instead, I thought of all of the possibilities that she might cover -- she could look old or young, and her body was tall and thin, which I was into at the time. I soon realized, however, that as time passed, I admired her beautiful face, that was about it. :sweat I was only attached to her because she was my first doll, and while I liked her 'personality', I just couldn't see myself continuing to own her, while someone else could be getting MUCH more joy from her.
      So, despite my guilt at selling her, I sold her and got a Pipos Baha, whom I am infinately more attached to. ^^ The point to this story, in relevance to the question, is that (In my opinion) it's generally a bad idea to look at the price tags concerning the dolls. NOT that I'm advocating spending without regard -- O_O -- but I find it more fulfilling to fall in love FIRST and then devise ways to GET the money, instead of justifying the purchase of a doll that you kind of wanted, but weren't too sure about, because you felt that it came at a good price.
      That might've made no sense. :sweat I'm sorry about the incoherence of this post; my brain is melted. *_*

5. I don't see anything wrong with deciding a budget for dolls. If someone really really wants a more expensive doll, then yeah, I would say go ahead and try and save for it. However, if someone is just as happy with the less expensive options, I see no issues. There seems to be this idea floating around that money should be no object, and I've never agreed with that attitude. I would rather see someone buy a less expensive doll than become so frustrated with trying to save up a large sum that they quit before ever really getting started.

I own dolls that were purchased at a variety of prices (I buy the sculpts I like) and I can honestly say that my two least expensive dolls for their size range (a mini Bobobie and an SD sized AOD) are just as nice quality wise as my more expensive ones. Purchasing them was by no means an act of settling for something lesser because of the price.

6. Hey, buy what you want! It's your money, after all.

But "cheap" isn't cheap, is it? I don't think a hundred or so dollars is cheap, anyway!!!

If I'm going to spend a penny or a dollar or a hundred dollars, I'm going to try and buy something I really want and that is worth spending the money. I'm not going to buy things just because I CAN.

If you really want a more expensive doll, then that's what you should get. Most people will buy several cheaper things because they are cheaper--but it adds up to the expensive doll--and if you'd be happier with the more expensive one, then why get several lesser dolls that won't make you as happy?

BUT if what you really want is the cheaper doll, then why not? But to allow yourself only to buy cheaper dolls because of the price seems rather silly to me.

7. I agree too that it’s to each his/her own since it’s their money being spent. I personally have no problems with lower priced dolls. My first doll was a Dollzone Xi, because I adore his sculpt (the price was an added bonus!) and to this date, even though he has since been rehomed, I still think fondly of his awesome posebility and nice resin. Some people seem to diss the China made dolls because they’re not priced at the same range as a lot of the Japanese or Korean dolls, but that does not mean that they are of inferior quality. I am not saying that it is the case across the board, as I have seem some China made bjds that are just shocking in terms of resin quality, customer service, packaging, etc, but my personal experience has been nothing but positive.

I think a dream doll does NOT have to be a limited/really expensive one; everyone has different preferences, for some people, their ideal/dream doll just happen to be more affordable, the lucky ducks! Of course, if someone is just getting a cheaper doll because it is in within their current financial means, then I feel that they may or may not find full satisfaction with the doll because it may just be a doll bought just to get into the hobby. And there probably needs to be re-evaluation to as to whether this hobby is for them since regardless of how cheap a doll is, the clothing/accessories and general maintenance costs is what adds up in the end. Saving up for that elusive dream doll would make it all the sweeter when the doll is attained, I think.

8. If you like the doll, then go for it! I've been looking for the perfect shell for a character of mine, Ryoko, ever since I got into this hobby. I was going to go for a CP Soony, even though I never quite liked her vapid stare--she seems a bit too spacy for my Ryoko. I was glancing around Angell-Studio because I was wondering if they had any cute clothes I could buy, and found Kana. Instantly it clicked--she was perfect. Even though she's going to cost me a lot less than Soony would, I'd be willing to pay much more for her. The price is just an extra. :lol:

Also, Jme, what mold is that doll in your icon? It's super adorable! =D

9. PC Answer: People can get whatever they want with their money, it's really none of my business at all.

My true answer is closer to Turynn's:
      I prefer to see people saving longer to buy what they really want, rather than just leaping to buy the first jointed doll that they can afford, whether they like it or not. A lot of times, it feels like people are just buying these cheaper dolls as though they were a ticket for admission to the cool kid's table.

I can honestly say that I'm tired of seeing cheap dolls with bad faceups in sock dresses sprawled artlessly across unmade beds. Usually with remarks begging for comments, like their doll is just a quick attention factory. Like Turynn, I know that there are a lot of beautiful, inexpensive dolls.... but I feel like I am being turned off to them by a particular group of people who buy them - those people who don't really 'get' the hobby and really only intend to be involved while it's a cool trendy fad at anime conventions.

There are some very pretty "cheaper" dolls, and there's nothing wrong with someone having that doll as their first choice - I really like some of the Abio Angel face sculpts. I buy dolls in order of "want" rather than price, though. ;) I just keep on saving my overtime money and waiting...

10. I seem to be part of the very quiet, perhaps even ashamed minority that takes a small bit of pride in their dolls' price.

Personally, when a cheap doll like a Dollzone or Angel Studio or whatever arises, I feel like the hobby is taking a blow. I am not one of the oldest forum members, but I do remember the long, unforgiving wait of trying to save up enough money for a doll that I partially picked because it was 'more affordable'. My original want was an El. Go figure. I 'settled' on a Tiffee - I did like the mold and still do recall it fondly, but in the end it was sold and while I fell out of wanting an El, I still regretted 'settling'.

Whenever I see "first doll" and "Dollzone" in a post together and referencing each other, I honest to god cringe. sure - some people might genuinely like the dolls, and part of the reason for my distaste for the newer companies is that they don't bring anything particularly new to the table or have pleasantly distinctive molds ( like Unidoll, Rainman sculpts, or CP ), but also because they're a cheap starter doll. I don't blame someone for being shy about stepping into the hobby but it seems to sometimes be a substitiute doll, or just a doll they buy because it is cheap because the ones they really want are too hard.

Sure, I can see someone not wanting to jump right in if the one and only head they want is Woosoo, and they decide to get a cheap brand in the meanwhile. That doesn't mean I will respect it. When all someone owns is cheapo brands, I tend to think less of them than I might if someone owned a variety of sculpts with the occasional cheap one thrown in.

No one shoot me for this post. It's debate, that's how I feel, I doubt anything said will change it. I won't bring up nastiness unprovoked on owners who buy only cheap dolls, or the sort of situations that they might be in; just let it be known that I, and probably others like me who don't wish to post it, think a little less of those dolls.

11. Well...I think one should get the doll of her dreams but reality does set in.

I wanted a BJD so bad but i don't have a job so a cheaper doll was the only option at first...plus as it was to be my first i didn't want to get a very expensive doll not to like it or to break it.

But i saw the Lilly...$200 with all cool extras and fell in love. Except the bag and the kimono the extras weren't that great...but...her resin is SEAMLESS and beautiful and I fell in love with that smile right when i saw her bad faceup on Ebay :lol:

Now i have also an OrientDoll that I got cheaper because my price came with extras...i try to get secondhand for that reason first (whee!) and i'm doing the same with my Baha and my Aru...and then i'd try to get them in the US...and only as a last resort would i order them from Luts or PiposLand.

It's what you can afford and what you like! (PS i don't like DZ for example)

12. It's up for the person to decide how much they're willing to spend on their hobby. There are people who have loads of financial problems and who are probably impatient to save up so much money. If it's a mold that they like, good for them but if they end up hating it, then it's their own mistake to learn from. I don't have any problem with people who buy their dolls cheap if they're good quality but I can't help but feel annoyed at the people whose cheap doll experience turn out bad (quality wise). As long as they don't regret it, then I have no qualms with them.

Personally, I would save up for the doll I wanted no matter what the price. My first doll was $800+ but I am going to buy a cheap head for practicing faceups (does that count?).

13. I'm one of the people who aims (or tries to... my heart seems to want Iplehouse Soo Ri at the moment) for the lower end of the price spectrum. Well, if I see a fantastically expensive doll I like, I'll save for it, but I haven't found one I loved enough to stop cringing... I'll never get a $1000+ doll. My dog cost $1000 and I don't think a doll will ever give me equal joy in comparison to my puppy... not that I'd buy a second dog with the hypothetical $1000... and technically feeding my puppy makes him more than $1000... but I'd probably spend subsequent money on clothing my hypothetical doll. Eh... I mean, I can tell myself my doll is worth more than a PS3 quite easily with a straight face so I can deal perfectly fine with dolls in the $600 range, but $1000 is just too much for me. I don't think people are weird for spending $1000+ on a doll, it's just a level of liking I haven't got.

I don't see anything wrong with buying a cheaper doll if you love it. I also don't see anything wrong with buying the cheapest doll on your wishlist first. But it's just plain stupid to buy tons of cheap dolls that you only mildly like when it gets to a point you probably could have spent all that money altogether on the more expensive doll that you love.

Otherwise, their money and so long as they aren't starving themselves and paying their electric bills, do whatever they want I guess.

14. That's my glomp-able Bluefairy Jerome; he's a MinoruWorld limited, so is BW and has a diff. default faceup.:D

15. Even a cheap doll requires clothes, shoes, eyes and a wig. It all adds up, and if you want to pull off a nice look, you almost have to spend extra somewhere along the line. Every once in a while people brag about how little they spent on a doll, expecting others to be impressed that the homemade faceup, discount wig, sale eyes and cheap clothes all together added up to some small amount. For every person who says, 'wow, that's amazing' I guarantee there are three more thinking, 'well, it shows.'

It's not the cheap dolls that are bad, it's the idea that all you need is the doll and everything else will just magically come together for free. Or that buying a doll will suddenly grant faceup skills, sewing ability and photographic skills too.

If you're buying your first doll, please, please buy a doll with a faceup. Wait til you have that $35-$50 more. If your concept requires a custom faceup, don't just pick the cheapest artist. Don't think you'll just do it yourself unless you really have got proven artistic talents and aspirations of being a faceup artist -- for one thing, the supplies aren't cheap and you may not save as much as you think. (And if you do really want to be taken seriously as a faceup artist, pick a slightly more expensive versatile head to practice on, otherwise the people likely to commission you in the future will be the ones with similarly cheap dolls and little money.)

16. Don't bring anything new to the table?? I disagree with that. The two inexpensive companies I'm most familiar with have really nice posabibilty (better than some of my pricier dolls) and their face sculpts are quite distinct. Remember, inexpensive does not equal cheap and paying out the nose for a doll doesn't garauntee the satisfaction of the buyer.

Be wary of judging new hobbyists by the doll that they purchase. Just because someone went with a less expensive option doesn't mean that they won't become serious about the hobby. Sure, there are some people out there who's interests change faster than their socks (and there always will be. That's just life), but it does a great disservice to new members to lump them all together by how much money they're willing to spend.

17. Personally, I feel the only thing that is important is that you really love the BJD. I would strongly advise against buying anything that is not what you want. Do not buy an expensive or rare one to impress others!

18. To you, remember - just because they're nothing remarkable to me doesn't mean that they might have redeeming qualities. Perhaps they're less distinct because I've never encountered one IRL, not being fond of meetups and not intent on buying one anytime soon. And I certainly don't agree with your last statement on this paragraph - if a doll is worth a bit more, there is a reason why. Else, why would anyone buy a more expensive doll? Personal tastes.

I agree here, though - I am at a fault, being a rather judgemental person. It's not like I see a username and go, "Oh my god they bought a cheap doll in the start, do not want". It just disheartens me that in places like the incoming doll forum, that's all that there is - new owners with cheap dolls. It seems like a cheap ticket into the BJD hobby.

I also want to enquire though, on a totally different string, these dolls have always been expensive - holy cow $500 is a cheap 60cm - but with the release of such cheap dolls, why have they suddenly become too expensive?

19. I agree with this in part. While I do agree that one's first doll should probably come with a faceup, this is because I think it helps with getting to know what it's like to have a complete doll around as well do see up close what a good faceup looks like. I am by no means a professional, nor do I care to be, but I enjoy the act of doing faceups. Not everyone wants to get into the customization business, some people just like picking up a paintbrush and giving it a shot.

However, I do believe that people, even if they want to casually do faceups, should do a lot of research and utilize the tutorials and information available to them. This is because that leads to better personal satisfaction and in general a more successful outcome, and well, less sharpies on resin. I don't like seeing dolls getting abused, expensive or inexpensive, but I also think sometimes people place their own standards on others in what they want out of the hobby all too easilly in this hobby.

Doesn't mean you can't like it, and the person whose doll you don't like is free to shrug it off. That being said, and more on topic, I do believe a lot of people settle in this hobby. It's become much easier to settle as more companies enter the fray and more owners start selling discount homemade starter clothes and the like. Where before it really required a good steady income or at least mature budget sense, it's now become something that more impulsive and excited people get into which results in a lot more people coming into the hobby unaware of the cost of upkeep. There's nothing wrong with the cheap dolls, but I guess going along with what Nanlady was saying, it ends up being a package deal sometimes.

20. Just because one doesn't care for them though doesn't mean the dolls aren't original. For example, the Domuya flex bodies are rather unique even though they are inexpensive. I can also think of many dolls that are expensive but not particularly revolutionary, and that's ok.

It's interesting, I remember when people used to ask whether it was worth saving for dolls that cost over $2,000. Now it seems like $700 is 'expensive' when that used to just be just normal.

In defense of cheap dolls, many of them are beautiful and well-made. And not everyone can afford a more expensive one, and they can be a good introduction to the hobby. But I think it's also really true that the increasing proportion of cheap dolls is lowering standards in the hobby as a whole. The aesthetic on the forum has also changed a lot.