1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Only allowing yourself to buy "cheaper" dolls?

Sep 30, 2007

1. The cheaper dolls have allowed a lot more people to enjoy the hobby. I have a few of the cheaper ones, and in quality some are 'cheaper' than others. But if you have little money to spend you can get one. It will have changeable eyes, multiple wigs, be posable, and do most everything a more expensive doll will do, just not to the same degree. It was the variablity of these dolls that first attracted me, not the price. I'm all for the cheaper dolls, they fill a need.

2. It's up to the individual what doll they buy and why, i don't have a problem with them starting off with a cheaper doll - or sticking with them either.

I started the other way around, my first BJD was a Volks and then as time went on i found i liked the cheaper dolls not because they were cheaper but because i preferred the sculpts so my dolls range widely in price now.

For me it's the face sculpt and then the posability - the doll could have six fingers and i would'nt give a damn so long as it had a great face and could hold the full lotus position!:lol:
      Quality....hmmm, i'm not sure about quality issues. I have had expensive dolls that felt plasticy and were a nightmare to pose and they had real bad seam lines and...and.... I could go on but i won't.

I happen to think that cheapness does'nt always mean bad quality and i certainly would'nt call Dollzone particularly cheap anymore (considering the even lower priced dolls that are available now) and their dolls are lovely quality.....i buy the bods and they pose so well - as do the AoD bods.

If someone just wants a cheap doll to slap a rough old face-up on and a sock dress (hell, my first doll had a sock dress, so what?) then why should'nt they? I certainly would'nt dream of telling them they could'nt/should'nt - so long as they are happy, that's the main thing.
      It's all a bit nit-picky, nah-nah-nah-nah-naaaah, my doll's better than your doll schoolground behaviour.
      Don't let's forget.....these are dolls not private jets - then we could boast!
      :lol: :) ;)
      I buy whatever doll i like and the cost is'nt an issue - luckily i have'nt fallen in love with anything over what i consider to be a reasonable price but i would just sell the kids into servitude to pay for it if i did.

3. I'm glad Krissy made the point about the car, as I was thinking the debate was something like apartments and homes. I'm not going to live with my parents until I can afford a house--I am going to get an apartment first to learn how to live on my own, budget, and pay bills.

I know that transportation and shelter are not the same as luxury items, but just as I would not expect someone new to video games to shell out $600+ for a PS3 and then hundreds on accessories and games just to see if they like to play with them, I wouldn't expect a person new to the BJD hobby to shell out $600 for a doll, then hundreds on clothes, wigs, a digital camera, etc, etc. I mean, what if they ARE young and just discovering what sort of things interest them? They should get something that is less financially devastating to fall out of love with.

HOWEVER, if someone has experience with dolls of any kind, knows they will enjoy the hobby and is not likely to become disenchanted and stick their dolls in a box in the closet, then to settle for a cheaper doll SOLELY because of the price tag is ridiculous. Then again, I grew up with American Girl dolls, lusting after expensive porcelain dolls, and so BJD price tags were not as horrifically shocking to me as they would be to someone who was used to $100 or so being an expensive collectible toy... (actually I don't know what a collector's Barbie goes for anymore)

Still, I got an EB Beauty 1/6 scale first as an introduction to the world of customizing my own dolls and to save my parents the burden of an expensive Christmas gift at that time. I told myself I wouldn't get into the bigger dolls, just admire them from afar.

Then I saw DoD, and Shall was brand new. Suddenly, I was in love. I joined Den of Angels, I started researching the community and how to obtain this brilliant figure of grace. I knew at the time it was an impossiblity; I was unemployed and getting ready to get into a LOT of debt for college.

I found out about Obitsu; Didn't like the body, but the price tag for their Haruka head was so cheap. Should I have passed it by because I wasn't particularly interested in owning the full doll or even buying her a body? Some of you say yes. But if I hadn't taken that first step I would never have felt like part of this world--just a distant admirer. And she allowed me to FEEL for the first time, what it's like to paint and size wigs and position eyes and capture emotions through angles. I can't discount this just because I'd rather have ANY BJD than a vinyl head.

Still, I haven't purchased my Shall or even seriously started saving for her, and it's been over a year. When I discovered Mythdoll I was sorely tempted to get one to HAVE a real, strung doll. But I never took the plunge, and college distracted me from the community.

Recently I found myself with a bit of extra money. Again I looked at Mythdolls but found that no matter what I wasn't finding myself attracted to the doll, especially the MSD size. Even the price tag couldn't get me.

So I came here, clicked around looking for other inexpensive companies. Setting the money I had aside doesn't seem like an option--I'd end up spending it on something else, probably.

Discovered Bobobie, and unlike Mythdoll, I liked their 60cm and they were also inexpensive. I almost made a choice I would have regretted, in purchasing one of their 60cm dolls. Again, I thought I might as well have someone to 'stand-in'. Hello, red-flag! It would have been a mistake to get a stand-in doll because I would look at it and say 'I wish you were my Shall'. I think THIS is the mistake a lot of people make when buying a less expensive doll.

However, I did find that I genuinely liked their Sprite mold, and found that it being MSD sized didn't bother me--unlike with Mythdoll! I'm already quite fond of her and I haven't seen her yet, so I don't think in this case I've wasted my money or caved to some 'in-crowd' phenomena. And I bought her some cheap, commercial clothes so that she won't be naked.

It makes me sad to think that I (and my doll) will be judged when I show her off, just because she cost me less and was less of a time commitment to save for. It makes me sad that I and others have to justify NOT spending a lot on dolls, the same that I'm sure people who spend thousands on one doll are irritated at being told cheaper is better.

I had an opportunity and took it to get what I hope is the first of several dolls. And weirdly, I suddenly feel like Shall is more of an attainable goal. After buying my Sprite, I've been looking into savings accounts and running numbers to see how long it will take. So why should I be thought less of for getting a little something now?

In response to the subject of the thread: Only allowing yourself to buy "cheaper" dolls? Well, I think if you're restricting yourself based on price and you buy a hoard of cheap dolls for that reason, maybe it's the wrong hobby for you, long-term. One or two or even a hoard that you adore? That's lovely in my book.

4. I had that sort of mind-set at first, that I would only buy 2nd hand dolls and less expensive dolls, and I guess that's the way I still am to some extent. I had to absolutely twist my own arm to allow myself to buy Kenshin, an Elfdoll Red, who only costs half the price of some of the pricey dolls.

I don't know why this should be aside from a deep-seated reluctance to spend money on myself. I don't know whether that makes any sense whatsoever, given the number of minis I have now O_o but it's what goes through my mind whenever I look at buying a NEW doll. I've done it a few times and it's always a struggle.

I dislike the term "cheap" though. Less expensive, perhaps. Cheap, to me, carries a negative connotation of poor quality, and I haven't found that to be the case. Even my unfortunate impulse buy of a couple of Domuya Flexi-bodies (unfortunate in that I couldn't deal with the joints) was based on the price -- but the *quality* was gorgeous. I'd say the same thing about DZs or the Abio Angel, or several of the less expensive brands - their quality is excellent. Inexpensive, not cheap.

Opinion only. :)

5. I think that you should really go with what you LOVE and ADORE.
      I mean, if I saw a doll that I only kind of liked (enough to buy) and the one that I truly loved was a lot more expensive, I wouldn't want to bother spending any money on the doll that I only like.

(Never leave the one you love for the one you like?)

6. Ove rthe summer I saved up for a very rare doll (over $700), but when it came time to actually buy it, I just couldn't buy it. I'm by no means rich OR poor, but I can't justify spending that much on a doll at this time (property taxes, mortgage, home repairs etc always come before luxury items).

I would never get on someone else's case about spending whatever they wanted on doll, though. That is definately none of my business!!

7. Well yeah, just because I like them doesn't mean that they're your cup of tea. That's not what I meant. There's a difference between saying "I'm not fond of those sculpts, I wouldn't buy one" and "they're inferior".

There are other reasons for price differences apart from quality--the cost of production. Are materials cheaper in a different area? What are the costs to rent the facilities? How many employees does a company have? Do they have physical stores they have to support? How many dolls are they able to sell? and so on and so on. Having handled some of the less expensive dolls in real life (and that makes a huge difference. Pics on the net only tell you so much, and company pics aren't always the best), they are very very nice.

I don't think having a less expensive way in is a bad thing. Some of these people will lose interest and leave. Others will stay and may choose to add some more expensive dolls to they're doll family or decide they like the inexpensive ones. I remember when I joined the forum, people would say that new owners would buy minis because they were cheap (my first two dolls were minis). I think there's too much emphasis on price sometimes. If an owner is getting a lot of enjoyment out of their inexpensive aquisition and it's allowing them to be involved and learn about the hobby, I don't see the harm. I just like seeing people enjoy their dolls--whatever dolls those happen to be.

All that aside...

I don't think the 500-600 are too expensive--it all depends on the individuals and their finances, not to mention what they want in a doll. Someone may be attracted to a less expensive doll just because they like the sculpt. It may have little to do with price. My dolls range from $148-$670 and most fall in the middle at around $500. I buy the sculpts I like, so sometimes I might buy a doll that costs more and sometimes I'll end up with one at the lower end.

Price is also reletive. On this forum a doll that costs 150-200 is cheap, to one of the women at work who has a niece that collects American girl dolls, spending $100 on a doll is ridiculously expensive (oh, if she only knew). To some who have a lot of rare LEs, $500 may seem "cheap".

8. Some people just can not justify spending $500+ on a doll and may settle for the cheaper brand to satisfy their desire to participate in the hobby. If they're new, it's also a good way to experiment without having to spend 2 months wages or allowance. Also - many of the new lower priced dolls are very pretty and excellent quality. Besides which, $100 is not chump change. No matter what you buy, it's still expensive!

9. I haven't been around in this hobby too long (just over a year now), so I may be jumping to conclusions, but it seems like people are afraid that resin BJDs are going to be the next porcelain dolls. It used to be that a porcelain doll was a wonderful, expensive object that few could afford, and those that could afford them regarded them as truly special things. However, as new ways to produce these dolls for less appeared, the hobby became less of one for people genuinely interested in spending their time and money on it to someone buying one at a dollar store for their six year old to suck on, or to pilfer the dress for their DOC girl. ;) As our dolls eventually become less and less expensive, they will become more and more mainstream, until, eventually, they stop being special and rare and unusual. Eventually we will, with these cheaper companies, get people who buy their dolls for fifty or forty dollars and not care at all, because a doll you had to save for is going to feel a lot more special than one you bought one night with what you pulled out of your change purse

Don't get me wrong, less expensive dolls and more companies give a wider choice for everyone's taste--for my Shushu boy, I didn't want a skinny, short little CP body. I'd rather him have shoulders and me a bit tall for a mini--so I went with DZ, and that body stands better than the CP one ever did. And buying a $200 AoD to make sure this is the hobby for you before you go get a Western Madoka or Woosoo? Great idea.

(Um, disclaimer, if this doesn't all make complete sense, I apologize. I took a few sleeping pills before and I feel a bit woozy.

10. I, myself, own a 'cheaper' doll. Not because of the price, but because it was love at first sight. If you really like a mold that is cheaper than others, there is absolutly nothing wrong with that!

On the other hand, if you want to get a 'cheap' doll just because you don't want to have to wait to save enough for a more expensive one... that might be a bit of a problem. In a hobby so expensive as this, one shouldn't settle on something you like a lot less just because it's 'cheaper'.

11. I think it's fine to set a limit on how much you're willing to spend. As nice as it would be to get any doll you fall in love with, it just isn't always possible to save $2000 for a luxury item.

12. Absolutely correct. Never fall under peer pressure for something you want. Because then it is NOT what you want. I own three Angel of Dream dolls and wouldn't trade them for a Berman. And he's on my 'not affordable in a million years' wish list.

A side note on this discussion, on the cheaper dolls in general. I have been around a long time. I know what it's like not to have enough money to put food on the table. I know what it is like to want. I remember getting only one gift at Christmas, and it being a 'cheap copy' of one of the more expensive toys that were popular. But I loved it.
      I've seen younger children (not DOA age) with these 'lesser priced' dolls and they love them; they don't see a price. If a parent can buy one at a lesser price and make the child happy, what is wrong with that? Like I said in my previous post, the less expensive dolls fill a need.

13. I think you shouldnt just buy a doll cause its cheap, but if you look around at alot of companies and really want one that is cause of how it looks its okay then. I personally dont like cheaper dolls and i would rather create my dream ones regardless of cost. But again its peoples decisions.

14. Whatever your budget will hold & that you like should be the doll you get whether it's that $1000+ event Volks or a Bobobie tiny for under $100. If you like the doll, go for it.

I'm struggling a bit with that myself. I have dolls from some of the finest companies but recently have found myself attracked to some sculpts from very inexpensive companies. The elitest in me feels that I'm downgrading my collection by buying these dolls but their faces are just calling to me. It's nice to not have to spend a fortune to get something I like but that's not the reason I'm buying them. It just doesn't make sense to buy anything that you're not in love with.

We all have a comfort level when it comes doll purchases so the less expensive dolls definitely fill a need there. And many of the cheaper companies' dolls are getting better & better faces as they go along.

15. When I was seriously looking for the doll I wanted to buy, I put a limit on the amount that I felt was reasonable to spend. Meaning, no matter how beautiful the doll was, how expensive could it be before I would look at it and only think of how much money I wasted on it?

I love this hobby, but as many people can understand, I don't really have much in the way of expendable income. I agree with LadyFeather, and whoever else made the same point... I have had times when the arrival of the next electric bill in the mail meant I might have to put off the groceries for another two weeks...

I made a choice to seek a doll within my means, and put him on layaway and pay over time. I love him, and I don't even think of him in monetary terms. Just having him makes me very happy. I don't think I would feel the same with a $900 doll.

16. D: I hold to my earlier post that if you like it, you should get it. At risk of repeating what I said there, as much as I would adore a Homme Ducan, Unidoll Jace, or one of the "truly" expensive dolls...frankly, I find that I like the Angell-Studio Adam just as well, if not more.

Ducan has monkey ears that I'm not exactly in love with. XD

And also, I'm new to this. I have NO IDEA what in the bloody hell I'm doing. I was never a "doll" girl, I'm used to toys and hobbies that take a little bit of muscle to get them to work right. xD

And I'd rather have an "oops I snapped the head off! D:" moment with a $300 doll than with a WooSoo...xD

Personally, the idea that less expensive dolls are somehow unworthy really upsets me. I can understand looking down on someone who knowingly bought a bootlegged doll because of the cheaper price tag, but barring that, why should you care?

Granted, I DO NOT want to see these dolls turned into $20 mass-produced, tacky-as-all-hell childrens' toys. Mostly for selfish reasons -- I don't want people looking at me like I'm daft for toting around the same thing their three-year-old is (people ALREADY look at you funny when you've got your dolls out, why give them good reason to?).

On a finishing note, I'm just gonna say that my first, and only (for now) doll is an Abio Angel Yi. I bought him because when I saw the sculpt, I knew he was exactly what I wanted for this particular doll. Yes, I went through all the waffling after he was ordered -- "Was he worth it/should I have saved/what if he's junk?" -- but when he got here, I just squirrelled him up to my room and have kept him close by my side ever since.

So it was in the plans to bring him to MangaNEXT to sit with me while I sell art -- now I'm not so sure. He's coming with me either way, but if all I'm gonna get from the BJD crew is scorn for having a "cheap" doll, then why should I even put myself through that? =_=

17. Myself, I say save save save for the expensive one. The fact is, even if you like one, you'll still be longing for the expensive one that you love. I tried doing that - big surprise, couldn't bond with the less expensive replacement. It's well worth saving for the one you adore. However, that said, I'm all for getting the doll second hand on the board. With a good seller, you'll get the same quality, and often a more unusual faceup, for a decent discount in price.

18. Well at least how I see it--why can't you bond with a doll you like now, then save up and ALSO bond with a doll you love later? Dunno 'bout the rest of you, but I've got room in my heart for a variety of things and... I guess it doesn't make sense to me to hold out for rather than slightly delay the arrival of the first 'expensive' doll when a cheap doll appeals.

19. While a few of the cheap Chinese makers are producing dolls that I find attractive, I admit that I generally don't believe someone when they say they purchased a Dollzone doll because they loved the sculpt and thought it was beautiful.

I think there is a difference, however, between an inexpensive doll and a cheap looking doll. Unfortunately, most of the most inexpensive dolls are being bought by people who generally don't shell out the extra money to make their dolls not look cheap and poorly made. People who only want to spend $100 on the doll generally don't want to spend the money it takes to complete a doll in an attractive way. This is where all of the Chinese company dolls in sock dresses with poorly done faceups and cheap acrylic eyes come from.

I am all for saving money where you can in this hobby, but I would never, ever do it to the point where my dolls look cheap.

20. I personally saved for the doll I loved. It took me miles longer and I spent nearly 2 years choosing it.. but now that the order is through I have NO reservations that this is defintely what I want.
      I could have bought 2 dolls for the price he cost me, but I would always be dreaming of him. So I thought to spend the most I'd ever spend now - then if I happen to have the pocket money I'd be more inclined to get the cheaper one that I really liked after. Of course that leads me to the heinous crime of convincing myself that I can afford anything cheaper than the one I just got!!! haha..
      If you have the money I think its worth treating yourself to few and rare treats than surrounding yourself with lots of little things. But thats because I grew up in a poor environment and only had lots of little things. Now I'm earning I want things which will be precious to me for longer.

In my experience the things you love over like are far more cherished.