1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Only allowing yourself to buy "cheaper" dolls?

Sep 30, 2007

1. i was just thinking many of these things last night, when i checked out Resinality forums. because this 'discussion' is there too.

tell you what. i work about 25 hours a week, and make rent, meds, bills, and food with some left over. my daughter is mentally disabled and that costs me. i saved up enough for that Bobobie that i grew to love by seeing owner photos. at first i hadn't liked the mold, but figured i'd go with the 'cheaper' doll... because just once i wanted something nice for myself. then i saw _MH's Apollo and knew i could finally have something really beautiful.

sometimes i see posts like 'china BJDs are really bringing everything down', or posts that mention particular companies. after a while, it really did start to get to me. god forbid if i ventured out of my boring life and went to a meet, would i just get the 'cheap doll stare'?

yeah, all in all mister doll has cost me around $300. with wig, fully clothed (thanks to a newbie pack and some cute pants) and glass eyes. i can't boast about that. that's, what, less than a naked MSD size of most other companies?

i dunno. i guess my rant is useless.
      but sometimes i feel like since this is an online forum where people see the doll, and then a username... they only see the doll. it's very hard to see the person behind that doll.

i want to make mister doll the best he can be, but i'm not a millionaire.

will i buy another Bobobie after this, even if i have more money?
      you bet i will. BJDollMall was wonderful to work with, and i hear only great things from Bobobie owners themselves.

well, thanks for reading,
      T

2. One of the things that helped me make up my mind to hold out for a more expensive doll was the resale value. I love that they really don't lose that much value if they are kept well.
      For me it was like having a safety net. If I happened to be wrong about loving my girl once she got here I can see by looking at the boards here on DoA that I could recover a good part of the money I spent on her. It's a huge bolster.

3. I think you make a very good point here. At what point does love and pride for your doll turn to guilt because of the cost? That's not applicable to everyone, of course, but I would hate to buy a doll, then always look at her in terms of what she cost me rather than the joy she brings. That comfort level is different for everyone.

4. Im always worried about the cost of dolls... I worked out yday how much Adrian is going to cost me, it was around 700/800 dollars, which is quite terrifying, as I technically shouldnt be spending this much on a single object! BUT at the same time, hes something I truly want and will put in a lot of effort to have. Its a bit of a double edged sword ><

5. Frankly, I find this attitude distressing. Just last night, I was looking at a Dollzone Tintan in the Gallery and thought she was beautiful - faceup, sculpt, and all. That Dollzone dolls don't appeal to you is one thing, but to find it unbelievable that someone else might think the dolls are beautiful is entirely another. I think Tintan and Feilian are among two of the most unique and attractive sculpts that I've seen on this board and I love what many of the owners have done with them. Really.

6. It could be thought of as equally distressing that she's not allowed to have her opinion? :sweat Not everyone has to like everyone else's dolls, and no one needs to approve of anyone else's choices (or in turn have their choice approved by anyone else). I've never seen Kim bash anyone or their doll, so I don't see how her opinion even affects anyone else. There's no point in asking people to discuss their feelings if they're not allowed to have a differing opinion from what would be the nice, PC response.

7. hmm...

I have to admit that i do seek out 'cheaper', or should I say more 'cost efficient' companies first before I go to the doll-mogules. but in the end, I usually go with what doll i like more, aesthetically and at the same time is a realistic choice based on my financial needs at that time. :) Right now, since i don't have a lot of cash to throw around for dolls, then I go for the cost efficent ones that are aesthetically pleasing. Because i'm sure everyone knows there's a huge difference between one "cheap" co. and another conserning looks. others fail at life while some look just as good as the mogules at half the price.

:D

8. This is going to be what i feel on the subject.
      Personally for me i buy dolls i find appealing, and untill now ive brought what i considered a good price for a bjd (between 500-600). Ive never brought the cheaper dolls because to me i dislike the molds and i do find they look cheap(my thoughts NOT yours).
      I've now decided to finally allow myself to buy a few dolls ive never allowed myself before because of the price. Yet ive found i havent been happy with my slightly cheaper ones(eg luts) and the calling from volks can't be ignored any longer. So i say buy what you want but dont just buy the cheap ones because there cheap buy them because you love them. In the end i do believe you pay for what you get with everything in the world.
      You buy cheap pots and pans the non stick comes off in a few months, spend a little more they will last longer. Buy a cheap doll... theres a reason its cheaper.....

9. I think Krissy is distressed about this note that the poster doesn't believe others buy DZ's because they love the sculpt. (Generally) :sweat

With the discussion, sometimes people can only afford what they can afford.. Especially if they are new to the hobby and don't know if it's for them or not. Getting a less expensive doll is a good way to get a feel for the hobby. I really don't see the need for such negative stigma for "starter" dolls. If not for "starter" dolls, some people would not have found the joy or talent they may have developed from their "starter" doll. (Or even some who end up to be wonderful seamstress' and face-up artists!)

I do not believe that the joy that someone gets from a less expensive doll should be looked down on by those that think the person is less serious for having a certain doll.. (Goes back to doll-status, I suppose? And the car analogy) I do not see what sense that makes. A person that actually loves the sculpt should not be bundled together with those who just want to go with a passing fad. (Which is a bit different than a "starter" doll)

I could have very well purchased another 400$-500$ doll to go with my DOC, but I wanted a DZ Meigi. I bought him because I loved the sculpt and he won out over the other dolls I was browsing from more popular companies. His droopy little eyes and funny little frog lips.. Makes me happy. :lol:

10. I'm kind of divided on the matter. Personally, I would never buy a cheaper doll-but that's me(and I'm by no means rich-just a college student but I'd rather save twice as long for that dolls I really, really want). On the other hand, I can totally understand you want in on this amazing hobby and just can't justify spending more than a certain amount-that is fine. But please, please don't assume I'm an elitist because cheaper dolls are not my thing. It's okay for you(generic you)to say 'for the price of that Cecile, you can get 8 Dollzone's!' but it's not okay for me to say 'I prefer my Cecile over any Dollzone in the world'? It's not people getting cheaper dolls that annoys me, but the attitude that sometimes comes with it. When I see a person with a cheaper doll(at a meet-up for instance)I generally avoid them because I'm afraid they'll make snarky remarks because I like Volks.

Live and let live, I say. I'm perfectly fine with you getting a cheaper doll, if you don't give me a 'god she must be a rich bastard' look when I ooze over my more expensive doll. It's quite annoying to be portrayed as an evil elitist when these 'elitists' are doing exactly the same thing as you: getting the doll they want.

FYI: with 'cheaper dolls' I mean Dollzone, Fantasy doll, Angel of Dream, that category, I don't see CP or Dream of Doll as cheap($500 is a bit too much to be called cheap, I think)

11. My apologies. I was merely expressing concern that there are some who believe that anyone professing a preference for a particular doll's sculpt must be lying. Of course Kim's welcome to that opinion. I must've misunderstood what she was saying. :|

12. I'm going to keep this in mind while i write this post. Please do inform me if my post seem inappropriate and please remove if necessary.

I really do respect your opinion and i really hope you do not take any offence from my statements.

Firstly I personally and i'm not going to say all DollZone owners. 101&#37; honesty i bought my DZ Mo simply because he was cheaper. At the start i decided not to be part of DoA until i had a doll so the 3 months after joining DoA.

Let's face it, it's very easy for one to say 'if you really want it then you'll find all means to buy it.' Yes it's true but how true can this be? On my personal level, i saw DZ in the shops. At first i think i saw a Volks first then Luts then DollZone at the toys plaza. I couldn't tell which was the more expensive type, i just remember being captivated by beautiful red eyes and white wig. To me that day two dolls captured me, Volks Tony and a Dollzone mini.

I don't remember which mold it was but i was fascinated, only 2 dolls ever had that effect on me. When i saw them i thought i can't ever own one, at least not right now. When i found out the price, i figured my mother would be more acceptance (not ever...) so i decided to go on it.

Before he came i was worried that i wouldn't like him and i regretted ordering him hoping maybe i should have just bought El from Luts (by then i found out about other companies) I had a moment in buying a DIM Persia but he was sold out... lovely limited. Anyway if i didn't like him i would have sold him right away. After receiving him i met my friend's DoC, more expensive than my DZ. So i could compare quality. As much as i like Bee-A i found out slowly i really love my DZ.

Personally i would not fork out $200+ on an outfit for my dolls, simply i would not spend that on my own clothes (well maybe... mine are expensive as it is) but i prefer to design and make the clothes, which is my hobby part of this hobby. I refuse to dress my dolls in anything that looks like it was part of a sock previously, the worst top i made him was when i needed a new top and my sewing machine broke down. From then on, i care very much about how he is dressed. I like Kim would not want my dolls to look 'cheap' but he is inevitably 'cheap' in the cost.

At the end of my story, even if i bought my Rae because he is financially acceptable in my household (the golden rule of spend what you need not on stuff you think you want) i can honestly say, i fell in love with his face afterwards. He is remarkable in real life (in due for a new face up... my fault made him dirty... head doesn't come off easily) if he wasn't i would have sold him. Just because i'm that kinda person.

Plus i'm a SD size kind of person, each doll i like at all 50cm+ but a little boy made his way into my hear alongside a small little girl. What can i say? For someone who prefers big boy dolls and would never dream of anything else. A Shushu and Mowan creeped into my life. Must have something right going on there. Oh i picked Mo at the start also because of his eyes and smile. Something about him made me go 'want'

Oh and one last thing... they're dolls! Sometimes i reckon we take all these too seriously

13. Re: Krissy & Kim, but I think it has relevance in broader terms...

It seems like two sides:

'I don't like x, so I don't believe anybody else does, either.'

and

'I like x. Why can't everyone accept that I do?'

14. I'd just like to make one more note... I wonder if anyone else suffers from the same syndrome I seem to have. I tend to fall in love with "unloved" dolls/sculpts. Whether they are disdained because they are inexpensive, or just because many don't like the sculpt, I always find myself drawn to the underdog. When I got my Belita, I had only seen a few here on DoA, and it was kind of a lesser-known sculpt. When I bought my Juri 06, it was at a time when many people I spoke to told me how much they just didn't care for the sculpt (lips were too big, expression was "clownish"). The more I looked at the Juri 06, the more I began to love the expressiveness in that smile that many others did not like. I bought my D1 Sophie at the beginning of the recent Domuya sale. At the time I was only able to locate one other Sophie on DoA. (Now that the sale is over, they seem to have multiplied though!) I thought she was so lovely, and I felt sad that so few people seemed to appreciate it. I don't do it consciously to spite anyone, but it seems that when people start to disdain something, I fall in love with it.

(I have a similar problem with broken or damaged dolls, and as my customizing skills grow, I hope to someday become a doll "rescuer"... buying damaged dolls and restoring them.)

That being said, I do have some dolls that aren't underdogs. About half of my collection are dolls that are "popular", that I purchased simply because I love them. But I find myself developing a soft spot for some of the dolls people seem to discount solely on price, people who can't see the beauty in the sculpt.

Oh, and a local friend of mine has a DZ Shoyo that she loves to pieces... not because of her price tag, but because she's possibly one of the most adorable dolls I've seen in person. (I just love the Shoyo smile!) To me, she's easily as cute as any Minifee Shushu or Nono I've seen. So to say that people can't love DZ dolls because of the sculpt... well, tastes differ. Personally, I'm not a big fan of many of the Volks sculpts (though I do love the F-08 and Anais), as the styling on many of them just don't appeal to me. That doesn't mean I don't think it's possible that someone else might love them. It doesn't mean that they aren't great dolls. They're just not my personal preference.

15. I'm backing this up. This kind of happened to me, and only now I'm able to buy the doll of my dreams (which is more expensive than I could really afford) after I sold the two other dolls I held most dear.

16. I see nothing wrong with the less expensive dolls (ain't none of 'em cheap if you ask me!). And I fully support anything that makes this hobby more democratic and enjoyable by more people because I think it is a fantastic creative outlet. Unfortunatly (for me) I seem to only want expensive dolls for myself but if I ever saw a doll on the lower side of pricing that really struck me I would jump right on it! :)

17. I'm with the Font Bandit--I love the leftover dolls:-) I love to look at the dolls that are Limited and rare and fabulous, and I am happy for the owners. Knowing I can easily replace a doll, paint it, mod it and whatnot, make the hobby more fun. I can carry them around outside for pictures without stressing. And whenever I want an expensive doll fix, I log on to the DoA galleries! It's all good.
      LOL, and here I look back from years later and I have probably spent enough to buy several Volks LEs when you add up wigs, eyes, and whatnot, and the sheer tide of little guys marching around here. And my favorite DollZones are no longer "the cheap ones", alas. I am glad that I started with an inexpensive doll--it let me learn what I liked with less anxiety, and it's taken me years to hone in on what qualities I really value in a doll. And there is a tremendous range of collectors in this hobby--people who want companion dolls, people who want art projects (me) and people who are investors as much as doll hobbyists, and each kind of doll person wants a different doll, and has a different idea of what price point is appropriate. I have to say there are some "cheap" dolls out there that are gems of workmanship and design, and some very pricey ones of little artistic merit.

18. I find it irritating that people seem to make assumptions about a person based on which dolls they own. How can someone possibly know anyone else's motivation for buying a doll just by looking at (and judging) their doll? On this forum, I have seen less expensive dolls made up and clothed beautifully, and outrageously expensive dolls badly made up with terrible clothing. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I mostly have older, more expensive dolls, but would not hesitate to buy a "cheaper" doll if it appealed to me. I really don't get the whole snobby "elitist" thing; maybe because I'm in it to have fun, not concern myself with where the hobby might be going, or how much other people pay for their dolls. I actually don't consider any of them cheap; some are just a little less expensive.

19. I started out buying Volks dolls only, but there was something about the face molds that turned me off and the cost of them well you know...credit card was smoking to say the least, so I loved the Korean dolls, and I have not looked back since. I do find Bobobobie to be very cute and adorable...even if the price is under $200 it's still a wonderful doll only the owner will cherish and love and heck with what other people will say.

20. Well, this sounds more like you just found the style you liked rather than just the price? But sometimes they go together I guess. I personally enjoy both Volks and dolls from Korean companies. That, and two of my Volks dolls, my standard Mimi and my Sara boy, cost about as much or less than my two Korean beauties.

I think this goes along with what Krissy and Raouken were saying. You can't really know why a person likes the doll they do. Someone may like a cheaper doll because they actually like the mold and someone might like Volks dolls because of the molds and not because of the price as a status symbol. This doesn't mean you can't like their dolls or think the molds aren't to your taste, but the dual price elitism thing can be frustrating.