1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

ONLY buying Male & ONLY buying Female Dolls

Jun 9, 2010

1. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      No. Although I have all girls at the moment (except one male anthro who is technically genderless, as he lacks boy bits), I find male and female dolls equally appealing. I have plans to get at least one male human.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll?
      I do. As stated above. I'd love to have dolls of both gender.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you?
      No. I decide by sculpt, not sex.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?
      I have no plans for this at present. But it is something I'd consider.

2. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? I buy both male and female dolls, but 's funny...the males usually end up sitting on a shelf. It's the female dolls I dress, carry around, and interact with more.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? N/A

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? I guess it must play a large role. I base most of my dolls on RP characters of mine, and most of those are female.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?

You know, I've considered it, but it just doesn't feel "right" to me for some reason. Hell, I have a hard enough time telling girl BJDs from boys anyway. XD

3. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I've bought both genders however it seems that I only like females. All of the male dolls I have bought have been since sold but I've sold females as well. Currently I only have female dolls.

Because of my past experience with male dolls I probably won't. There aren't really any male dolls that appeal to me.

I wouldn't say it is more appealing to me, it's just that I prefer females.

Yes I would. I actually want a Volks School A girl.

4. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I think I'm strongly biased towards getting female dolls. >3< I just like their bodies, they're so interesting. Males are interesting too, but the curves of girls just constantly blow my mind. XD;;;

I would like a boy doll or two eventually. I see why people get them, they can be so cute. But for me they would really have to be special and have a cool body.

Um.. XD;; I don't know how to answer this question. Do you mean like, if there were a boy and girl of the same sculpt, would one be more appealing? I don't know, I think that would depend a lot on the specific doll.. I mean, what I like about a lot of girl dolls is an inherent part of their sex. I like them BECAUSE they're girls. So if they were boys, a lot of the reasons I love them would be gone. There are boy dolls I love too though, and that can also have a lot to do with their boy-specific characteristics, or with how the face sculpt looks when you perceive it as a boy rather than a girl. (Certain features can say something totally different on a girl.)

I just bought a girl doll with a head that seems to be mostly a boy head. I don't want a really girly character, (all the girl Minifee heads are sooo girly) and it was the only head with a really cute smile. :3 I like a lot of girl heads on boys, too. Some don't quite work, but a lot of head/body mixing can make really cool looking dolls. (Someone mentioned Zaoll boys.. I love those too.) I like androgynous faces on both boys and girls.

5. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      As of this moment, I only have female dolls, but that's mainly been the luck of the draw - I've gotten them off the MP so it has depended on what was available with my current funds. ^^

I have hopes for a couple of male characters, but I haven't found the right sculpts for them yet. But that probably also has to do that until recently, I had only seen females in person.

Not really.

Depends on the head, the character in mind, and whether or not it screams to me that it needs a gender change.

6. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? No, I buy both boy dollies & girl dollies. Currently, I only have one BJD, and she's a girl. However, the next BJD I get will be a boy. I like to have equal amounts of male and female dolls--balance, harmony, yin & yang--it's all good.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? Not applicable--see my response to the first question...

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? Strangely enough, yes. I am way more partial to boy dolls. I suppose because I always wanted a brother when I was growing up. And the only dolls I ever had was Barbies and other girl dollies.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? Hmmm. I don't think so. That would just be too weird for me.

7. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? I have ten full dolls and three floating heads, and only one of those is female. One of the floating heads may eventually be a girl, too, and there are girls on my wishlist. However, most the characters I want to shell in resin are male, and thus most of my dolls are male.

Yup. I have, and I definitely will in the distant future.

More or less. Well, I've seen some female dolls I think are just incredible - lately Iplehouse's ladies are blowing me away - but I don't get must!have! with them. Also, I'm afraid of the potential clothing demands of girls *L*.

I have plans for two future girls with heads originally designed to be male, so definitely yes.

8. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? Well, technically I haven't bought one yet, but the ones on my list are all female.

Maybe, but probably not. They don't appeal to me as much.

Well, yes and no. Am more appealed to girl bjd's since I think there is more that can be done with them, style wise. I love dresses and head-pieces and all that! Plus all the characters in my head are female. ^^

Yes I would. I've seen some really cute boy heads that I think would really work as a girl, but haven't even considered them because they are on a boy body.

9. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes, I only have male dolls so far and almost all of the BJDs on my wishlist are male as well.
      I believe I only do this because most of my OCs are male, or at least the ones I like most are. And only these get made into 3D versions of themselves since I don't want to put a bunch of characters I don't really love all that much into such expensive shells. Well, and I simply like dressing boys more.

Mmmh, yah. There's .. I believe one female doll on my wishlist right now and I really really want to get her eventually. Aside from her though .. probably not (in the near future).

No, not at all. When I like a head I like it, no matter what it was meant to be originally, boy or girl.

Yes, I just got a Dia boy (I believe Dia was there before Sard came out, so she's the original mold) and (s)he makes such a great guy, omg.
      There's many girl sculpts I prefer as boys to be honest, like Migidoll's Jina or Soom's Amber. That might be because I love androgynous boys though. In real life and in doll form ^^

10. Ugh...computer ate my reply!

1.) So far, all the dolls in my collection are girls. I like girl dolls. Just do...I don't have a wishlist for dolls, really. When I see a doll I like, that's it. I work to get it, and there's no list.
      2.) Yes, if a boy doll appealed to me, I would work to get him. There are actually a few Ringdoll boys who look like they would make good friends for my precious...but, haven't thought about taking the next step yet.
      3.) Not really. it's more the aesthetic. I like androgyny in guys, and I'm finding plenty of that in BJD-land. It's really awesome.
      4.) I might, but I don't know that much about putting dolls together...

11. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I am partial to females, really I have two male dolls one of which I am currently trying trade. I guess I am partial to females as that is my preference for drawing and most of my characters are as such.
      I find that many of the male dolls are too effeminate for my tastes, or too bulky and creepy looking. I find it hard to find a happy medium between the two, hehe.
      Not really, Most of the dolls..male and female I have seen look feminine to me.
      Of course, anything is possible!

12. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I own all boys so far. ...I don't really know why or how, it just turned out that way. I guess I find them more appealing? I really don't have a clue O_O.

Actually, I'm *most likely* getting a girl doll for my birthday. It was never the fact I didn't like girl dolls...I just never got one. :3

Kinda sorta. It depends on the character I need at the moment. I guess I don't like seeing girl characters as much as I like seeing male characters, so I created all of my characters to be male so far. *shrugs* But now I guess it's time for a female. I need some feminine charm in my room. &#9829;

Oh yeah. I see a lot of male sculpts that would look good as girls, and a lot of girl sculpts that would look good as boys. A head's a head and I'll stick it on any body I find more suitable >w<

13. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? Yes, I only buy girl dolls. I just like girl clothing better, I guess. Their fun shoes, dresses... even as a kid I had a jillion Barbies and one lonely Ken.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? I did buy a boy BJD once. He was absolutely gorgeous but I discovered I just didn't play with him much, I just wasn't interested. Someday, who knows, I'd buy a boy doll again but for now, they just don't hold my interest.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? Yes; my blue fairy Jerome is a girl. Blue Fairy DID release Jerome as a head only, made up like a girl, and you could buy the body separately so that's what I did. I also bought a chiwoo head once in the hopes of making a chiwoo girl but man, the proportions were ALL wrong, that was one effed-up-looking doll, so I sold the head. I learned that not ALL heads are interchangeable - sometimes they are just the wrong scale, even if the features seem feminine to you, the scale doesn't always work.

14. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

I do have both guys and gals here... though the girls are outnumbered by about six-to-one.

I tend to simply buy sculpts that I like, without really letting the male/female question concern me.

NA. I buy what I like, male *or* female.

Like I said above, even though I don't intentionally seek out one gender over the other, it's pretty clear that I have more of an eye for the males.

Two of my 1/3-scale girls are actually male head-sculpts on female bods... A Sleeping Yder "dreaming" mod and a Nanuri '08. I don't have any "girl-heads as guys", which seems to be the direction most gender-switching goes in this hobby. :lol:

15. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes. I only have male dolls and all the characters I have in my head are male.

I started a thread titled All Girls or All Boys a while back becuase I was confused about adding a girl into the mix. There were a couple of girl sculpts thast were tugging at me. I am not fond of the mature girl whatsoever, but I was thinking of adding a little girl, but I have since changed my mind. I just dont see her fitting in, and I really dont like the female couture as much as male.

Absolutely. The male doll in my opinon, is much more intersteing.

Perhaps....

16. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I currently only have male dolls. Female dolls just don't interest me. My dolls are also characters in the novels I write and since I write m/m erotica....

There is one female doll I would buy and even then, she wouldn't be typically female as her character is hermaphroditic. The only reason she'd come home was if I had extra cash on hand and wanted to complete one of the character families I currently have. If I never end up purchasing her (I know what sculpt she would be), I'm not going to be upset over it.

Generally? Yes. If I see a girl doll, I'll skip right over the pic and not bother clicking on the link just because it's a girl.

I was actually going to do this with an RS Ju head on a boy body for one of my characters. Then I realized that I kept coming back to the Doll-Love God-Enjoy sculpt and that sculpt was much better suited to the character. God-Enjoy is also a girl head, BTW. But, the girl head on the boy body works most excellently for this particular character as he's very ethereal looking and most boy sculpts don't have that... something needed to pull it off. It took me a while to realize this about that character, but once I did, it made picking out his sculpt so much easier.

17. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I don't if I can help it. I'd love to have my collection split evenly between girls and boys. However, I started out buying boy dolls, but that was purely coincidence and availability XD

Nope. Once I found some girl dolls that I liked, it was even. As long as a doll has the particular characteristics that I like, then it doesn't matter about the gender.

Nope- I really don't like doing that for some reason. I've very rarely liked a head that would look better as another gender, and I've never liked the dolls that have heads of one gender on bodies of another.

EDIT: there is one change to that, a Luts Delf Annette.... I really love her sculpt as a boy, but I don't know if I'd actually buy one and do that with it... >.<

18. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

I suppose I have although it's been unintentional. I don't think I've ever even owned a boy doll; although, many of my irl dollie friends have exclusively male dolls.

I've considered it several times but I always end up with the female counterpart or the same sculpt on a female body. Perhaps it's a bias towards females? At the moment, I'm content with my one female doll but I'm considering a male companion once she's all set and stopping at just two dolls.

The sex or gender of a doll doesn't consciously make the doll any more appealing for me although I do seem to have a preference for females. It could also be that I fancy female clothing over male clothing which goes in tandem with having a female doll.

I certainly have and would be more then willing to do so again.

19. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I have both male and female dolls, but I do prefer males.

At some point in this hobby, I finally saw a girl doll I liked as much as boy dolls. It took me some time to decide and buy her, but I did, and I love her ^^ She's a DT Elysia.

I would say I'm more sensitive to male beauty :) or maybe not really male but androgynous in looks yet male.

I already have :) I made a girl of delf Harang, she belongs to my husband.

20. I don't know why. But I have always loved girl heads on boy bodies. I think they look too cute! Have you ever seen an Elfdoll Hazy boy or Soah/Sooah boy? I always find it a bit disappointing to find girl heads that just don't fit on boy bodies. I guess what appeals to me is that you can take the head and make it more masculine. Rather than it being far too masculine and trying to make it more beautiful... Which is unfortunately how bjd companies tend to make female heads (they make them beautiful), but not males (they make them masculine/vaguely "mean")... I want happy dolls, not so much the vaguely cynical ones.