1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

ONLY buying Male & ONLY buying Female Dolls

Jun 9, 2010

1. Im glad to know I'm not alone with my thinking, im thinking of putting a certain boy had, on a girl body, I'm glad it has been done before, so I don't feel strange :-) :-) I wish someone could post pics...

2. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I tend to prefer male dolls. Not sure why, I just think they're cuter? Though girls are cute too. I just find something appealing about the boys.Maybe it's because growing up, I was so used to Barbies and dolls in general being female, the idea of a male doll just seems more interesting and exotic to me.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll?
      Of course. :) Though the only females that I've ever had the "I would like to have her/ooh, I want!" emotion from have been mythical or fantasy based ones, such as elves and centaurs, and fox girls. I don't think I'd ever want a regular human female doll. But that opinion could change as well if I ever find a female that I fall in love with.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you?
      Maybe? I'm not sure... I know that generally when a sculpt has a male and a female version I'm always drawn to the male version of it even if their sculpts and face-ups are practically the same.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?

I guess? I don't see why not. :)

3. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes, I only buy boys, that's because most of my OCs are guys and I've already tried with one of my girl OCs and everything didn't go as well as I expected, so I sold her:(

I may do it with other characters and in other size than the one I got for my girl, but I doubt so

Yes, I prefer boys but I've already explained why, I guess making male characters is more appealing to me after all:sweat

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?
      Yes I would if my character needs to look girly or if it fits with him:)

4. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I mainly buy girls, but usually end up buying a boy so I can dress them as a couple in the same theme. There usually end up being 2-3 girls per guy! :)

I tend to like girls because of the frilly ruffles and gowns I dress them in. I also tend to like mature, realistic sculpts and there seem to be more girls than boys that fit the bill.

Possibly. I've seen it done with great results, though haven't ventured to do it myself - yet.

5. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      When I first started collecting BJDs I swore that's all I would do. I did too, resisted all the girls, wasn't really impressed with them and had no interest. I was into putting my own characters into dolls and at that time I mainly only had guys running about in my head. But then I saw Soom Topaz.

Soom Topaz changed it for me. I fell for her. She was my first girl and only girl for a long time till this year. I just started to really want some girl dolls. I think my denial of liking them was finally beaten down.

It all depends on the character for me now and their sculpts. When I first started collecting it was gender yes, but that was kinda silly considering how now I want some girls that aren't available now. I feel like I selfishly denied myself wonderful girls.

I plan on actually doing this with Minifee Mirwen. Two heads but one female body and one male body to make twins. The boy of the twins is actually going to be a crossdresser as well so...yay~ Other then that, I have a boy bory head I am considering putting on a female body. Then I have two 2013 Summer Event Luts SDF heads that I was going to make one a girl and one a boy as well.

6. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes
      Only girls !

Yes since 1 month
      I am considering the idea to have a yosd or tiny boy

i
      t's easier for me to customize girl than boy
      I don't know why
      perhaps because I'm a girl and I had only girl doll in my childhood

yes
      sometimes a head can be customized for both sex

7. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I've only been interested in boys at this point. They're just more what I'm attracted to aesthetically, and I enjoy looking at them more. There's just nothing in a female doll that I can connect to, if that makes sense. It's the same with female characters in general, I'm more able to find a connection with male characters, though there are a few exceptions. If I saw a female doll that truly grabbed me of course I would buy her, but it's easier for me to find boys more interesting on a personal level.

I would definitely, and I have considered it before. There is one beautiful doll on Souldoll named Shiva that I want, but she also has four arms so maybe it's not the best example...?

Yes definitely.

Yes! I actually have a few dolls in future planned that work best with the sculpt of a female head instead of a male. [Particularly the Dia head by Soom]

8. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

My first BJD hasn't even arrived yet, but I can say that I'm only interested in female BJDs. A lot of enthusiasts nowadays prefer male BJDs, and that's up to them, but I never really understood it. I like girls because you can dress them up and play around with their face-up and such, but with boys, other than maybe a tan or contouring you can't do much. And their clothes aren't nice either. Plus, male sculpts are either terrifying or too feminine...

No, haha. Reason stated above.

Yes. ^

I once did actually. Bought me a Mu Ran from 5StarDoll a while back because he was such a pretty little girl lol! Also, they provide the choice for either a girl body or a boy body, but then I changed my mind and got a refund, hehe xD; Not because of the female/male thing though, just found a better option!

9. The Interesting thing about my experience is that I started collecting thinking that I am going have a all-male collection. I only looked at male dolls at the beginning and never had the thought to purchase a female doll. But I was wrong so wrong TOTALLY wrong!!! My first doll was a male and immediately after him I owned a female doll because of her cuteness. And I completely fell over female dolls...They are just adorable in a way that I have never imagined! And there are way more choices of clothes and I love pretty dresses. Now I own two male dolls and I don't think I will purchase any in the future and two female dolls with a long wish list of all female dolls...

10. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I currently have both, but I generally look at/ actually shop for mainly male dolls, and a female sculpt has to really strike me as interesting for me to consider buying her.

N/A
      I generally like male dolls because I enjoy making male characters more than female ones.

I have considered it, but I have not tried it yet. :)

11. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I don't have dolls, but I find I'm only really attracted to the female ones. I just think their bodies are beautiful. I love the female form and it hasn't even really occurred to me to get boy dolls.
      All the dolls on my wish-list are girls.

Sure. I've considered it. But I just don't know that I would bond so well with them. Though I know I have a character idea for one. He will be very similar to the main figure in the painting called "Pierrot s'on va" I think. An androgynous clown. :)

yes. But I've seen some gorgeous male dolls. I'm not sexist. It's just that I find girl dolls more appealing for my own collection.

Yep! Minifee Luka can be either and I plan to own one of those someday. :)

Great questions, by the way. :)

12. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I try not to limit myself by gender, but I do buy more boys than girls. I've had a girl or two in the past, and I now own one. But I rarely come across/buy a girl doll that would be a keeper. I think it's because I find making up male characters so much easier than girls, which is kind of funny because I am a girl. :'D Also I find boy dolls easier to clothe.

Even though I prefer buying male dolls, there are one or two, maybe three girls in my plans. I hope to get them all one day. :)

Kind of, yes. Majority of my characters are boys, so I tend to look boy dolls differently than girls. Also I don't have any troubles finding boy sculpts I like... To me, a lot of the female dolls look exactly the same, I'm way more picky over girls than I am over boys. I'm especially picky about the bodies, there are only a few female bodies I like, but I can find a ton of boy bodies I love. :D

Well, I have an Elfdoll Sian head for my boy Jackson, because it's the only head out there perfect for his character. And it makes a good male, in my opinion. I'm also planning on Iplehouse Asa boy... I sometimes look at the female heads on companies to find possible boys to add to my crew. So yes, I guess I would buy a head of the opposite sex to use on a doll. ;D

13. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      No; currently I actually have a very even split between them, and the incoming/future plans will be maintaining this split. It's not a deliberate thing on my part, either; the characters I wish to shell just happen to be fairly evenly divided between the two genders.

Doesn't really apply to me, since I buy plenty of both genders.

Only in that it makes a difference what character I might use them to shell, not in any other real way. If I can see the appeal of the doll in, say, the clothes of the character, or fitting the style overall that I want from that doll, that's going to be the appeal. And sometimes it won't match the gender given by the company, but if I can change it, then I'll still go for it, if the face fits.

My very first doll was a Bobobie Sprite (female) on a male body; when I ordered my second, he came with a free head in an event, so I selected a head (AoD Yo/You) that looked fairly feminine to me, and an extra female body; turns out, the You sculpt is male, but I still think she's a lovely girl. :) I also have a LTF Pukisha, who is sold as a male doll, but as mine was bought in pieces, ended up on a female body as a female character, and a LTF Reni (also sold male) who fit nicely to a female character I wanted to shell, so again, I swapped them. I also seem to be in the minority on my incoming MNF Sarang, who will be a boy, but who seems to be planned as a girl by most people talking about him/her. Apparently to my eyes, it's about the face shape first, and the appropriate body second.

14. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you
      NO. It is because I love cool male doll, but I also love cute girl, I just enjoy to give different characters and story to them, if there are only one gender I will feel a little bit odd. Also, As I like to custom my dolls very much, I think buy both male and female doll can inspire me more in creating and customizing. Moreover, I like human body line, if the body line is beautiful, I don't care about their sex.

Well...no. I don't care about the official sex so much, I just care what feeling the doll which I like give me.

Yes, although carter(dollzone)'s official sex is boy, but I just think he is a girl. So I ordered a girl body for him.

15. I only have female dolls and have never contemplated getting a male doll. I don't really know why. Maybe it's ingrained somewhere that dolls are supposed to be girls since you're dressing them up. I am open to the idea though and who knows? Now that I've started collecting MSD and SD dolls one if the girls may want a boyfriend.