1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

ONLY buying Male & ONLY buying Female Dolls

Jun 9, 2010

1. Hi I'm female, but I found this an interesting thought so I hope you don't mind if I chime in.

Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll?
      If you had asked me this last week then I would have said yes, I do only buy one gender doll, and it's female. I don't think it's because I am particularly biased, but none of the male sculpts I ever came across particularly appealed to me. Why spend so much money on a doll that you're not feelin the love for? I think it's mostly because although I appreciate my friends male dolls, the majority of male dolls seem to me to be kind of feminine (not that this is a problem) but I've always just thought, hey, if I want a girl I'll get a girl. But then I'm more character driven then sculpt driven. If I had a prettier male character I might invest in a pretty male doll, until then I'll stick with my estrogen. If I was going to buy a male doll, he would have to be more rugged and beard I think, but I have yet to have a character impress upon me enough to invest in another doll just yet.

Although I have recently bought a YoSD but I think because his sculpt is more childlike, they tend towards androgenous look that children have. Cute is always cute.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you?

I'm bisexual so gender has never really bothered me either way, as I said I am more character driven I think, comes with being a humanities student no doubt. *sigh*

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?

Yes, but only if it was THE head. You know the magic head, the one which is the only one that is capable of holding the personality of your character. But I often see dolls where I think, oh it's a girl but it would make a nice looking boy or vice versa.

2. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      No, I have more boys than girls but...I think it is nice to have a variety. Plus, sackback dresses look way better on girl dolls.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll?
      N/A

I like REALLY sexy looking girl dolls (IH Jessica for one), and more on the side of femeninity in males.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?
      I have got a Luts Lishe boy, a DZ Feilian boy and girl. I think most moulds can work as either gender.

3. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      No i started with guys but now i love the girls more
      of course i allready did but more girls when i promise only boys
      mmm maybe
      of course i would if it looked like i wanted, why not

4. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? My dolls are mostly all male. The male dolls appeal to me much more than the girls.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? I have bought two DD girls I like very much. I've thought of getting an MSD girl but it's not totally concrete at this moment. Strangely for me, I always put my boys first when it comes to buying clothes, wigs, and other accessories. The girls come last:lol:.

Of course.:D I'm a female and I love the overall healthy looking male physique. If the mold of the body and head is made real well that really appeals to me.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? Yes. I've seen Volks SD13 Madoka girls head modded and put on an SD13 boy body. I've been wanting a mix like that for a long while. Though the Madoka mold is female, it looks great as a guy.:)

5. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I only have one doll so far (and he's still on the way) but if I do eventually buy more I probably will only buy boys--and probably because..well I'm not sure exactly, but it probably has to do with the fact that I'm into anime and I'm used to seeing pretty boys, and I like them more..and the girls are pretty too..but..well I don't know >.>
      no, probably not
      yes, I think the girls are really cute/beautiful..but I definitely find more appeal in the boys, and I'm drawn to their faces first when looking on websites
      Possibly if it was androgynous enough (although the boys already are anyway >.<)--basically I wouldn't be against it

6. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I buy both, but I prefer girls. I'm a lot more picky with girls than boys. Girls have to be perfect, where I can just like the boy 'enough' and it's fine. The only reason I have more girls than boys right now, is because when the economy got bad and I needed the cash, I sold my boys first, as I didn't like the many more boys as much as I liked my handful of girls. As for why I like girls, I just prefer the way the female body translates into a doll. I think the girls look very organic and curvy, so they pose naturally and comfortably, where boys seem a little too boxy and stiff to really look natural in any more than a hand full of poses, especially more muscular ones. And hell, I'm a straight woman but I find the female body a sexier form.

I also get most of my dolls with the intention of embodying one of my roleplay characters, so gender of course is important there. Although I find myself more interested in getting the girls together first. Sometimes they end up being something else, but my dolls based off roleplay characters tend to last longer in this little gang.

With tinies, it makes no difference to me really, as when I was that age, I was very non-gender-conscious. Boys and girls didn't have a difference to me simply because at that age, it didn't matter. They are unsexualised and gender holdes very little importance. My own feelings at that age translaste directly into the dolls in this case.

Definately.

Not all on it's own, but if I fall in love with a female sculpt, I will most likely own it in a very short amount of time. I'm more entranced by female ones. Male ones, I never seem to love as much on first sight, and sometimes wait years to strike him off my wishlist. Girls just seem to be 'perfect' or nothing. Boys I can love, hate and everything in between. If I like a girl doll though, she is more appealing than the boy doll I like as well.

I have done. I was one of the winners of a Senior Delf Azure. I ended up being dissapointed with him when I first got him and gave him a rubbish face-up. A friends offered to paint him though, but after months she still hadn't got to it, and by then, I'd seen a female Azure Luts had exhibited at a doll show. In love with it, I asked her to paint my Azure as a girl. She is now one of my favourites. Although that face-up was recently damaged, I wouldn't have her repainted as a boy anymore. She is most definately a girl to me now =)

I would do it again too, but I would use a similarly androgenous sculpt if I was turning another boy into a girl. When I see certain male sculpts being turned into females, I can't help but think they LOOK like drag queens. I think the sex change works much better he other way around for this reason, as the effect of a soft jaw and high brow only makes a girl-to-boy look young.

7. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Technically I only own girls, so technically yes. Purely coincidence though. My Mate on the other hand only likes girls, and rightly so- he doesn't want to see a nude male if he doesn't have to. I think his only exception was Volk's Link doll he said he might get me in the future, but otherwise if he were to help pay for a doll it'll probably be a girl.

I personally have. There are a couple boys that I do happen to like.

I generally go on a specific doll by specific doll basis, you could put two girls next to each other and I could hate one and love the other, I don't think I really rely on gender to influence my purchases. I do find that I prefer more females over males but my judgment isn't usually solely based on gender.

As in, getting a male head and putting it on a female body (or vise versa) because it looks better? Yeah sure, why not? If I like the head sculpt enough I probably would.

8. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      currently, with only 1 doll, and 1 incoming head, bith male, yes. i like male characters more than female ones, and guys just look better to me. the fact that i like male fashion better probably adds to that.

yes. but most likely not anytime soon. especially with me being a student and broke. i do like certain female sculpts as females e.g. cp soony, napi chesi and some male sculpts as females, e.g. breakaway. but i don't think i'll ever get a BA. haha.

yes, definitely. i'm more attracted to male characters, maybe because of the way females are always portrayed as weak or too headstrong and generally stereotypical to me. though the same can be said for males, i find that i don't hate the stereotypicality so much. biased? definitely. the male body's lean-ness and muscles also appeal to me more that females, especially the mature females.

done that. my first doll is a dreaming lishe boy. to me, i think a lot of female heads look nicer as males. but frankly, a lot of heads are androgenous so it doesn't really matter.

9. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

At the moment, I only own one tiny female doll, but I have a long list of large male dolls that I want in the future with fewer female dolls.

Yes

No, both sexes are equally appealing, but I think I have a love for the larger male dolls because I find them attractive ^^ And that's not meant in the wrong way...

It depends, if I could get the head without the body then maybe. I haven't really seen a head I would use though in this case.

10. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

No. I started out with mostly boys, but that's just because the characters I wanted to shell first were all boys. Too much slash, and all that.

Nope. I'm way pickier about girl dolls so I have less of them (3 to the 5 boys), but the girls are more spoiled.

Yes. I've done it both ways, bought girl heads to be boys and boy heads to be girls. Not so much because any of them looked like the opposite gender but because they were all so androgynous it didn't matter which body I put them on, they looked great regardless.

11. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

No. I currently have 3 boys and 5 girls and one female head. I am wanting to acquire another MSD male and a 65 cm+ male and then the numbers will be almost equal.

NA.

I find that I tend to be more attracted to females in general. It has been easier for me to find females to fit my characters. I love manly male BJDS, it's more that I just haven't found the exact right ones yet. A friend of mine who lives close by is opposite of me-she prefers the males to the females and has several big boys. So together our crews balance out nicely!

I have already done so-my DIM Happy girl, Danica, is actually a Sergei head on a girl body. That was sort of chance-I got the head first and decided it would be whatever sex the next body that turned up on the MP was.

12. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

I have an even number - well, I have one human boy, one human girl, and 3 cats that I call "him" but I don't think gender even really comes to mind for me when I look at them since they're Pipos and totally gender neutral. I've always favoured male cats in the past because their personality is nicer, so that is probably why I call them him. xD But I digress. I used to favour boy dolls only but then I realized I found them incredibly boring - I had/have no interest in crossdressing so I could never buy anything fun like pretty wigs or pretty dresses. So I sold off the boys and eventually totally swore off mature dolls all together because they can't dress as childishly and immaturely as a YoSD can, which is what I now own. I always like a doll to have a "companion" and I like that companion to be a compliment instead of the same, so boy-girl pairings come naturally. I'm buying a Nappy Choo next and I wonder if he (already determined to be a he) will end up needing a companion since I favour boy babies most of the time (dressing them in dinosaur stuff is fun! :D) and I wonder whether it'll be a boy or a girl companion. I sometimes think I'm just going to get another Nappy Choo and call it a girl. <_< Twin Choos... Anyway, with that, I think my train of thought has derailed, crashed, and burst into flame. xD

n/a

Well...I don't necessarily favour one gender over the other, so no. I favour younger dolls so it'd be a lot more likely that the age and size of a doll would draw me to them, not the gender. Since my appreciation of the male/female form isn't even taken into consideration here since my dolls are kids, that isn't important (though in mature dolls I am more likely to like the male form since I am a heterosexual female and I greatly enjoy the look of an attractive male) and since I don't even consider dolls larger than 27cm these days, it's hard to even consider which gender doll I find more appealing. xD It's all about balance for me these days so if I did find another 27cm sculpt I liked, gender wouldn't be an issue, I would like it regardless and I would then find a doll of the opposite gender to compliment it.

Sure, not a problem on principle alone but I seem to not like hybrids very much for some reason. Not that I don't like other people's hybrids but I wouldn't want one of my own. It would feel wrong, somehow, too patchwork and incomplete.

13. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      It looks so. Out of the five dolls I have at home four are female and one is a genderless fox that still sort of feels more feminine than not. This is just because I am more attached to my female characters rather than male characters, not because I prefer one type of doll over the other. Yet, I do plan on buying at least one male doll somewhere in the future.
      Currently, there are just a couple of sculpts that actually look masculine to me and could represent a 25-28 year old (the age most of my characters are). And since the characters I have in mind are not twins, I have to either wait for new releases of just play around until I find a good solution.
      See above.But basically I do. Provided I find the right guys who aren't 80 cm high.

Not really. It's much more about the sculpt and if they fit the characters I have in mind or not. Nothing more.
      If it resembled my character that much then yes, I would.

14. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      So far I only have female BJDs (though I have several off-topic male dolls, but I have even more off-topic females xD). I'm not into male fashion, so girls're more fun to get clothes for and dress up, and I like the female form (my girl is a Dollfie Dream Dynamite, nuff said ;)), and I like my dolls to be cute and/or beautiful which girls are! :3

Yes, I have two boys on my wishlist. They're WAY down in priority though. I like male BJDs just fine, but the ones I'm interested in actually owning are few and far between.

Definitely, since I wouldn't have as much to do with them, since they wouldn't be as fun to dress up or make wigs for.

I already have, sort of, I have a floating head that's an androgenous mold, B&G Sky/Freya. Most people with that doll get the male version, but to me she's all woman! :D

15. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I have only two right now, but they're both male. Not only were they at the top of my list to dollify, I.. well, I just think they're more attractive. Probably has something to do with my sexuality :V

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite sex of doll?
      I changed the wording in this question from 'gender' to 'sex' because they're different things, and the answer is I'm not sure. I want a (sexless) Puki to turn it into Delirium of the Endless, and as far as I'm concerned, Delirium is also sexless, though her gender is female. And I would only buy a female doll for another (maybe two other) characters IF I found the perfect sculpt for them... but unfortunately, most female dolls look the same to me...

Why, yes it does. Girls totally turn me off unless they have a really really eyecatching style and/or color scheme.

Many boy sculpts are very feminine, so it's possible that I might. One of the characters I may dollify is not a very attractive girl (and is a bit transgendered anyway), so she'd probably be getting a boy head if I found the right sculpt.

16. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? I think this might sound strange but as person who never looks at gender in real life, I tend not to look at it in dolls. If im looking for a male character I'll get a male or if I need a girl I'll get a female. thats the only time I ever look at gender. I really love both Male and Female dolls equally, however I do have more females than males only because the characters that became dolls were mostly female. I have 4 girls, and 2 boys and a male floating head.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? See above.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? Not at all. I never look at gender. If it appeals to my sense of beauty then I like it!

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? Sure, I've thought of it. After all Migidoll Jina makes a beautiful boy or Girl! SO do many Cp sculpts! I'd love to have a Jina boy or an El Girl ^_^ And I have an Oasisdoll yaoyue but she makes gorgeous boy! I believe someone has one here on DOA so yeah I'd go for it if My character was suited to a specific mold.

17. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes, only boys. Because I've try few times buy a girl, but I have to sell then, because for me they are ... boring (don't kill meh! D:) simply - they're not excited at all ^^; true, girls got more cutest stuff and all, but boys looks better :3

18. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I tend to buy more females than males... its not entirely intentional... I just think girls are more attractive than males, and since Im not making any fantasy/yaoi fanfic/photostories, I am not obligated to get male dolls to embody 'characters' that I have preconcieved.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? I have one or two (actually no, just one) male doll, and I have him because of his unusual resin hair, which I think is awesome. But if he did not have that hair, chances are, I wold not own him.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? Yes in the sense that boobs and hips look much attractive than the lanky twigs that are 99% of male dolls.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? Possibly. But really, I am a 'body' sort of doll collector... I find doll bodies I like, and am typically THEN looking for doll heads that go with them. So i really dont expect this situation to arise for me.

19. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? I have all girls dolls at the moment, but that's mainly because it's just what I'm more familiar with. I am considering adding a boy to my brood at some point.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? Absolute. I really would like to get an Iplehouse boy, but funds are low at the moment and so I'm going to hold off for a bit.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? Not necessarily. I think both sexes of dolls are beautiful but I just happened to start my collection with girls first.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? Sure. I've considered doing that with a BlueFairy doll.

20. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes I only buy male dolls, I find them more interesting to dress up and see how
      far I can go with them to make their character interesting. I might do some genderbending.

I have a few times but they never worked out, I somehow seem to not be able to
      work with the female body, the way they pose and carry themself just irks me.

It does actually, most girl dolls don't do much for me, they are one in a dozen, though
      some do jump out, but those are very few. Male dolls come in so much more variety to me.

Oh I have, also bodies that I modded into male, and they look(ed) amazing.