1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

ONLY buying Male & ONLY buying Female Dolls

Jun 9, 2010

1. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

Yes. I only buy male dolls. Mostly because in my RP world where they're from, it's solely populated by males, aside from a few female characters that are relatives of the main characters which are what I'm dolling. Since the mains are all male, all I want to buy are males.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll?

If I could find a female doll that fit one of my side characters, a demon woman named Thiera who's the mother of a demon I don't plan on dolling, I might. But it would have to be the absolute perfect face/body/beauty/haughtiness combination for me to have it. Thiera is notoriously difficult, being that she's gorgeous, powerful and a matriarch. She would need a really perfect sculpt.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you?

Yes. I prefer the male shape and look more than the female, I never could figure out why. Female dolls just strike me as ugly, I don't know why, because sometimes when you put the same head on the male body then it just clicks into place.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?

I already have. I have a BBB Sprite head on the RS boy body because the face was perfect for my Star elf character, and I knew that Dennis wouldn't mind adjusting it from the BBB girl to the RS boy. That company is awesome like that. So yes I would, if I found a female head that looked perfect I'd put it on a boy body in a heart beat.

2. I have to have a variety and a balance. I have a boy MSD and a girl MSD, and a boy SD and a boy Yo-sd; the next two dolls I'm looking at getting are a girl SD and a girl Yo-sd. I like being able to have both genders to clothe and create different photos with. I honestly think when I get my SD girl and Yo-sd girl, I'll probably be pleased enough on dolls for quite some time.

3. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I have a mixture of "biological" females and males as well as one post-op female. I like the variety of having different gender dynamics going on with my characters. I will say though that I have more female dolls than male dolls (4 males, 10 females).

Not really. The sculpt of a doll is what makes them appealing to me.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?
      If I had anymore characters planned, possibly. I have a Narae head coming in at some point, but I would consider popping her on a male body if she is kept. I think there is a fair amount of fluidity with most sculpts in terms of what gender they can be.

4. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Well, so far I'm only buying male dolls. They're just more appealing to me somehow; I haven't come across any girl sculpts that I fell for as hard as I've fallen for the boys.

Yes. I am considering buying a MNF Shushu at some point. She's the only female doll I've seen that I've also thought "I might want that doll."

It's not the sex that my decision depends on, it's the sculpt. I just tend to like the boy sculpts more than the girls.

Maybe, if I thought it looked right for the character.

5. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

So far, I got three boys and one tiny girl. In general, I'm more into boys. But that might just be due to not having found a girl-sculpt, yet, that calls out to me "buy me, buy me RIGHT NOW!!!" as the tiny girl did. *gg*

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of d
      oll?

Yes, see above. If I found a girl I really, really, REALLY liked, I guess I would get it. Not anytime soon, though. I'm lacking the space for yet another large doll. And I'm not really interested in MSDs. Most of them look way too cute for my taste. Meaning that I like to look at their pics and I'll go "wheeee, cuuuuuute!" but I don't really feel like I wanna own one, too.

Don't think so.

Don't think so here, too. When I get a boy-doll, I prefer it to look distinctively male. I'm not into boys that can be mistaken for girls easily.

6. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I lean towards guys, but there are some girls planned for the future (they'll still be heavily outnumbered though).

No idea, honestly. Don't get me wrong, I love both the male and female forms, but I suppose the male bodies + sculpts in general are just more appealing to me (or I have a weaker resistance to them? :lol:). A lot of my OCs are male too, but dunno when that happened – my first 'set' of OCs had a 1:1 male:female ratio

If it worked. It'd most likely be a female-to-male thing though. My tastes in male sculpts range from girly -> obviously manry, although the effeminate ones tend to hit me harder. I was wanting a male IH Jessica at one point (still do), but I have no idea how I'd go about doing that and I've been trying to slim down my wishlist...we'll see > <;

7. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Most of my dolls are male or sculpted genderless but assigned (by me) male - I only have 2 females of 18? (I think? :roll:) dolls, counting OTs.

Why? I think the reasons are complex. I know I got 'into' dolls after my father died very suddenly, so maybe it is a way of subbing for the loss of the strong male supporter in my life. Fully-detailed make dolls are so rare in western culture, it's an additional cachet of 'exotic' attraction for asian dolls. I find the male form elegant and beautiful, and I have always found men easier to 'get along with' than other women.

I have two ladies, and am considering a couple more. I prefer very unusual sculpts for my females, though. I've often thot it might be fun to make pretty dresses for a more-standard lady, but there hasn't been one yet that piques my interest.

I am definitely more-interested in male dolls. However, I believe gender is more of a spectrum than an opposition.

I've already done this - my BBB Tigerbaby is a Pixie hed on a male body, and I find the combination delightful! Gender-swapping heds is a great way of getting a broader range of characterization in dolls; I've often thot my DR Rad. Coreco (the most 'masculine' doll I own, probably) could also make a beautiful woman with the right choice of body and faceup.

8. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

So far, yes i have only purchased female BJD's, and my next couple to a few purchases planned are female. Why? i find girls prettier, the sculpts are softer and in general i find that more appealing.

Yes. I have considered buying a few different guy dolls, but when it came around to when i could afford a boy, i found the interest in it to have been a temporary infatuation and decided not to purchase one that i knew i wouldn't bond with.

Nope. (yes i realize this sounds like a contradiction to my first answer) A dolls appeal to me is based solely on the sculpt of the face and the body design. This is actually why despite being more pose-able i have not purchased and do not intend to ever purchase a double jointed doll.

hmmm actually yes, there are some female sculpts i find particularly masculine and vice versa that made me think " i wonder how'd that'd look if....."

9. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      So far, I have bought only boy dolls as the story I'm planning mostly involves boys~

Possible especially for tinies. XD Considering adding one to my collection but well... depends on if i come across the "right" one.

Yes but not necessarily. I can see a cute tiny girl (like those from Leeke or the cake pixies from Angell Studio) and still loooove them to bits.

Don't think I would. Tho i might get a doll that can look both male-ish and female-ish. I do have a story in mind for a doll like that though. XD

10. I'm a little uncertain how this is a debate as I don't see anything 'wrong' or 'puzzling' about choosing to only collect one type of doll (be that all boys/girls/elves/tinies/etc.), but here goes anyway.

Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      At the moment, yes, I only collect male dolls and this is based after the simple fact that as they are based after pre-created RP characters, all those characters that I feel are most important are physicallly male. While I have created a handful of female characters, some of them in very important roles, I've never felt attached enough to many of them to justify spending the amount it takes to turn them into resin form in the same way I do male characters, most of whom I created long before any of the women and that may be a contributing factor.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite sex of doll?
      While I am undoubtedly more attached to my boy dolls/characters as opposed to any of the girls in my head, there is plans for at least one female doll in the future. This was a mixture of both enjoying her character as she's the only female I've ever created that's managed to grow into an individual I actually care about, as well as finding a sculpt I simply adore.

I would have to say yes if only because I've only ever found one female sculpt that's truly grabbed me (see above answer, this was one big reason I've decided to shell this one character as it's so rare for me to actually fall for a girl doll). Most girl dolls just don't mesh well with my tastes, either having too large of eyes and sweet expression, while the more pouty ones are usually very stylized or very realistic. The few I've found that don't fall into these categories just don't have that particular spark for me.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite sex)?
      I don't see why not. Two of my dolls' heads come from companies that don't even make bodies and could technically be made either way (and I will admit the Elysium Jamie head looks extremely feminine in his promo shots). My Glorydoll Mitsuki is offered as a girl from the actual company using the exact same head sculpt, so I suppose in a way I've already done this. Most of my dolls are so adrogynous I'm sure to most people it wouldn't make an ounce of difference if one of them ha a female intended head sculpt.

11. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      So far I've only 2 boys at home, only because they were main priorities in my storyline, but I'm planning to bring back girls eventually :D

Of course! I'm more towards girl tinies because they are just so precious, but recently I've gotten much more into SD girls as well though I'm still not as crazy as I am over boy sculpts xD

I think subconciously yes?

I guess I would if the character was a boy with a feminine face or vice versa.

12. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I wouldn't, mainly because I have boy characters, but I feel like having all girl dolls would be boring. (Even back when I had Barbie's I always bought at least one Ken doll). Same goes for boy dolls, I think I just like to have a nice even balance.

Not always, sometimes there are dolls that I wouldn't like as a boy or a girl. It's mainly the sculpt and the way the doll is 'carried out', that makes me like a doll. For example if you have a doll that looks mainly but is a woman, and her makeup and clothes match her character she doesn't need to be a boy. Even with a mainly face. Does that make much sense to anyone? :I

I would, unless I have a male/female character that acted feminine/manly. If there happens to be a boy face that looks like a look that I'm going for, but the character is female, I will buy that head and make it a girl; and vice versa. So I guess for me it's mainly all about the look I'm going for, and the sculpt that the doll's have. Not so much the gender the doll companies give them, I suppose that's what I'm trying to say. >.<

( I only have one doll right now, so I don't really think that classifies me as having one gender of doll, or only interested in one gender of doll, because I don't have a 'range', if you will, yet. Like if I had two female dolls perhaps then I'd have the say that I only buy one gender of dolls, sorry I have turned this into some kind of essay!"( )

13. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I'm only interested in owning girl dolls. I live with two boys IRL and get enough of maleness that way, lol, though I do occasionally fantasize about getting a boy doll and make him gentle, timid and nerdy... which is what my RL boys AREN'T.

However, when it comes right down to it, if it doesn't belong in a dress I'm not all that interested.

Yeah, I guess so. I wouldn't put a boy in a dress. I don't mind if real boys or men do this IRL, but I just wouldn't do that with one of my boy dolls, haha.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? Maybe, but I'm one of those rare types that see boy heads and think they LOOK like boys, so if I put one on a girl body, I'd still see a boy. This hobby has its own visual language when it comes to gender. Not everyone learns it very quickly, but I've had a few years...

Raven

14. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I only buy male dolls for several reasons. Most of my major characters(if not all) are male. I find the male body more pleasing to look, if I wanted to see a girl body, I could just look in the mirror. I also find it to be a lot more fun to dress male dolls. Sure, you have a lot of options with female dolls such as lolita, punk, and crossdressing(which if you ask me isnt really "crossdressing" because girls already wear pants and tshirts and tennis shoes), but it takes a lot of creativity and thought to dress a male doll in truly unique, interesting clothing(assuming you dont just dress them in average or punk clothes). Besides, I think that the girls are just TOO pretty. It doesnt seem natural, though I realize the same can be said for the guys. :)

No, never, unless me and my friends actually get doll versions of ourselves, but I don't think that will happen.

Yes, definitely~

Oh gosh yes. If I see a sculpt I like and its a girl, I have no problem gender bending~

15. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I have a mixture. Mainly because I just collect, and I like both genders. The dolls aren't based on my characters. Each gender has its own unique and equally beautiful aspects.

Nope.

Nah, I don't think so. I've been in the hobby long enough to see a boy in a boy sculpt and a girl in a girl sculpt, so it would be hard for me to see a different gender in that doll.

16. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes I am guilty of that :lol: My crew is guys only.
      The girls aren't just that appealing to me. I think guys are more versatile when it comes to styling and dressing them. And with the right face and clothes you can get a very interesting outcome. But maybe also because most of my OC's are male as well as the people I get my ideas from.

Maybe. But it would involve a very very long seach for a good sculpt. 'Cause I like the SD females better, but I'm not planning on owning an SD. And see last question.

To me, yes.

Absolutely! When I come across a girl sculpt that I really like, my brain always thinks something else.
      "She would be a very pretty guy!"

17. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I don't because I like dolls in general, if I see a beautiful sculpt it doesn't matter which gender it is, and I'm in love with the different styling possibilities in both genders.

Not really, as I said I like both genders for different reasons and I look for a beautiful sculpt. For example things like being tender-eyed or having big lips are things that make a sculpt more appealing to me. For me it's not about the gender but about the way the are executed.

Definetely, I think a lot of sculpts ( especially MSD ) are gender-neutral: it depends on the face-up a lot. For example the DOD dream head: it's supposed to de a guy and it can be really manly with the right face-up, but when I got it I looked at it I saw the lips and I thought: Girl! And with the right face-up she is now a really feminine doll, the opposite is also true there are a lot of female sculpts out there that could be an amazing sexy guy. I believe a face-up is more decisive for the gender than most sculpts (unless we start talking EIDs or something, but I said MOST sculpts).

18. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? Well, so far, I've only go female dolls.But thats only because I didnt see any male dolls I liked (or could afford). Most male dolls I could afford, all look either too young, or too female. And if I get a male..I want him to look manly! lol XD Or at least be able to look at hime, and know he's male.

Of course, I have been looking around a lot at male dolls. Trying to find ones I really like. And I've got quite a few on my wishlist now. The only thing is, the only male dolls I like, Are SD size, I only have MSD as the moment, so if i get SD, I will definatly be getting more to befriend him XD. But as you all know SD's are more expensive, so its going to be A LOT of saving..and a longggg time, before I get any. :( *cries because she's broke*

I was always more appealed by the female dolls, because they all look so cute and beautiful. So I fell in love with them. But Lately I've been majorly drooling over some male dolls. So I'm more appealed by them now.

Maybe, Who knows. I doubt it at the moment. but if I felt I wanted to, and could afford it. Why not?

19. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

I have a large collection and most of them are girls. Most of the boy dolls on the market do not appeal to me, probably because I am not into anime and many male dolls seem to have that stylized androgenous anime look. I do have several male dolls, but I am very picky about the ones I choose.

I have one or two more male dolls on my wishlist. It's not that I refuse to buy them, but there are many girl dolls that I like better.

No. I just like what I like.

I might if I liked it enough to make it work for me.

20. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      98% of the time I only buy female. I simply can't bond with males. I got in to this hobby for the cute factor. I'm mostly in to YoSD and I'm drawn to the cute, frilly dresses and everything. >3<

I have before and it's not worked so well. I ended up selling the doll. However, I have gotten a SD boy head now. I am hoping to bond, because he has a complex character, which I may think boys need to fit in here. My girls are just fricken cute and I buy because I want. With males, they have to have some other sort of draw, for some reason!

Yep. I love the cute little girls around my room. I'm really in to 'kawaii' culture and lolita, so I think this draws me to the girls.

I personally wouldn't, because I don't find many male molds feminen enough. But if I ever were to have to choose, I'd do an Anette boy! That is, if I were more drawn to males.