1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

ONLY buying Male & ONLY buying Female Dolls

Jun 9, 2010

1. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes, I only buy boys. Girls just don't have the spark. I have more personal theories on why, but my girlfriend is all the girl I need.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll?
      I have bought the opposite gender, and it was failure. If a girl doll managed to really steal my heart I might.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you?
      Yes. I hardly even look at female dolls.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?
      I have considered doing it, but don't because that doll is waaay down on the list.

2. What a bunch of curious questions... Interesting, though, I hadn't really thought of it.

Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

As a matter of fact, I own just two dolls at this time, and it's one of each gender. My first one was a girl, but just because I wanted to make a fairy. The second one is destined to become Sephiroth (commision to my mother of all people...).

Depends. I'm not collecting BJDs because I want chibi-boyfriends (however attractive they might be... Damn the sculptors for making them so handsome lol), I just like the dolls. Seeing as how I own very few of them, I cannot really say I find one gender more appealing than the other, but it's true that I've got more male characters to model in mind.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?

I've seen a few female heads that would look lovely on a male body if you want to create an anime-looking bishonen. I was suggested to create a Shuichi (from the anime Gravitation), and when I couldn't find a male head that I liked, I went looking for female heads. I've given up the idea now, but I remember finding a few I liked.

3. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

Guilty as charged! I only buy female dolls. I just like the aesthetic of sexy and/or cute girls. From an artistic standpoint, I've always had more success with the female form - it may stem from that. I am attracted to males, but to me the attraction doesn't carry over to this hobby. Resin penors just kind of freak me out. :huh?: Moreover, the androgynous nature of resin boys just kinda makes me not want one..."It's a trap!" or something? (Iplehouse would be an exception. Those are definitely men :sweat)

I would consider purchasing a male doll, yes. I -have- considered it. I don't think I could bond with anyone larger than MSD-sized though. For me, a male doll must be cute (loli-shota kei?!).

Yep. I swoon over dolls of both sexes, but my heartstrings are tugged the most intensely by breathtakingly beautiful female sculpts (Oh, Amber...stop it~!).

I have done this, actually. :sweat I put an AoD Jimi-2 head on a female body, because to me he just looked like a girl. When she was finally together, I couldn't get over the fact that no matter what I thought, it was a -male- head on a -female- body. HANG-UPS!

That's my preference. I understand why people from both camps feel the way they do though.

Edit: Shikatanai's comment on the chibi boyfriend thing kind of struck a chord with me. I feel about the same way - sure, the guys are handsome...but meh. I think if I were still the yaoi-obsessed single lady I was a few years back my preference would be vastly different. My tastes have since changed though. Also, I don't think we get to see much of the other side of the coin here on DoA. There is always Danny Choo and his Dollfie Dream daughters. I think that is kind of the same idea, non?

4. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes, right now I am only buying female dolls. The main reason is that I find the female form vastly more attractive than their male counterparts.
      I might consider buying male dolls if I decided into setting up certain scenes.

Yup, as stated above, the curvy female form is much more fun/frustrating to work with. That and there is a large amount of different types of styles to try to portray on them.

Since, I am relatively new to the BJD scene I cannot say much on this point. Possibly would be my best answer.

5. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

If you put aside the tiny, which has a sexless body, all my other dolls are on male bodies. Now, my second doll was originally meant to be female, but, because of the lack of posable female bodies at that time, I got him a Luts Delf boy body, thinking that they could fit into female clothes anyway. But then I ended up in a situation with a male head on a male body and realised that the girl wasn't going to happen. :\ He still wears pretty girl clothes, though. 8D

Now that the selection of posable female sculpts has greatly increased... I still found it hard to find a body that I liked. When it comes down to it, there is a greater selection of detailed male body sculpts than female ones, so it's easier for me to like a guy than a girl (for their bodies). Bodies are very, very important in choosing dolls, for me.

SID Yur~! T_T She totally grabbed my heart, but I've reached my doll-buying limit for the year. The SID body is actually pleasing to my eye to boot~<3 Still, if I had a sudden windfall, she'd probably only be third on my list (and not to mention, sold out. OTL), with two boys taking precedence.

And I do have a tiny girl, because CustomHouse was having a sale and I wanted a girl who could look diabetes-inducingly cute in foofy dresses that look better on tinies than on SD-sized cross-dressers.

For me, the most major problem is boobs. Because I fail at MSDs, I collect SDs, and, for SD-sized females, well, their boobs tend to look unrealistic. And they tend to be big. And big boobs scare me. OTL *has had not-so-pleasant encounters with some* So generally, it's easier for me to like male bodies.

In a convoluted way... kinda. I bought a modded sleeping Yder head with the intention of turning it into a girl. And then I bought a boy body for it. OTL He's still a girl sometimes, since he's supposed to be a technically sexless incarnate of a nightmare who likes dresses... even though he may be the manliest doll in the house.... he's still a girl... really.... *totally in denial*

And I was hoping to be able to put my Chalco head on a female body, but tan skin is hard to match. T_T I would have loved a Spiritdoll medium bust body for him... and I would have modded one of the 'option parts' onto the body so I can get a hermaphrodite and more or less complete the spectrum (male, female, sexless, both). But alas, it was not meant to be...

He'd still totally make a hot girl. His default outfit is half a dress already anyway.

6. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I do now. I actually started out with all boys. But they didn't last long. I realized I was more interested in female dolls when the last male doll I got, I ended up dressing him up pretty girly most of the time and called him a she. Needless to say after owning girl dolls for awhile I think I definitely prefer them over boy dolls. I'm not exactly sure why.

Nope. The last two dolls on my wishlist are girls. If things work out, after them I don't plan on buying anymore dolls, male or female.

More appealing as in more likely to buy or more appealing as in more likely to look at. If it's the first then yes, the gender (among other factors) make the doll more appealing for purchase but I'll look at dolls regardless of gender and think they're gorgeous.

I considered it once, but honestly don't really like the idea. So most likely no.

7. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      No, I have both. All my dolls are characters, so I buy the dolls I need for the characters. I have very specific taste in guys, and don't like pretty boys, so I find it hard to find the 'perfect' sculpt for my characters. I always know exactly what I want my character to look like, and my female characters are usually easier to find the perfect sculpt for. I'm a girl, and I love dressing the girls in stuff that I like but wouldn't wear.

I already have both

Does the sex of a doll make it more appealing to you?
      Well, in real life I like boys, but with dolls I don't really consider gender that much, just the character and what the character needs to look like, so no.

Yeah if I find the sculpt I need for my character, then sure.

8. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

I tend to buy girls. It's partly because I find girl dolls and their clothing prettier and partly the result of conditioning. I was never given male dolls when I was younger so I'm not used to them.

Yes I would. Some of IH's males are quite handsome and I'm looking for a male elf for my March. I'm also considering a Fairyland LittleFee Bisou boy because he's just so darn cute! Which leads to the next question...

Not necessarily. It's faces and body structure that make a doll appealing to me. I've seen girl dolls that I find hideous. Most male bjds I've seen are scrawny and look like girls which are two features that are not appealing to me at all for a guy. I might as well buy a girl and have more clothing options, lol!

Not unless I wanted to make a little child doll like the Bisou. Very young boys and girls tend to have the same plump and delicate features.

9. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? right now i only have girl(s), not necessarily by choice, i would really like to have a male BJD some day, as i once did but he was a lati yellow and i didnt like him... so off he went haha

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? no not really, if i like the way the dollie looks then it doesnt matter wether they be a lass or a lad :3

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? *Edit- oops i misunderstood the question!* ok, yes i most definately would make a head the gender opposite of what its supposed to be :D i do that with my blythe dolls already!

10. I couldn't choose if I wanted to. There are so many great options for female characters and for male ones... I'm probably going to end up with equal numbers of each. And... that's unusual, for me, because when I write stories, I tend to skew towards heavily female or even all female casts. Clearly there's something about dolls, the heavy emphasis on their beautiful looks and inspiring fashion, that makes me want to experiment with both visually, whereas in pure story-character mode I tend to mostly experiment with females.

I actually have chosen a female head for my Volks MSD FCS because I was trying to capture a particular character, and it fit him more than any other head. I don't even think I paid attention to which were male and which were female when I looked at the page; I just looked at the faces.

I suppose with MSD, which really do look like kids, there's less of a distinction in gender to begin with. But I've been quite fond of a lot of dolls where people used female heads on male bodies, even in adult forms. Less so, with the male heads on female bodies.

11. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I'm not sure WHY i have only female dolls but i do. My mother who also owns dolls(all 3 gifts from me) Are male. The thing is i can't see her having a female doll at all. as for me....It's maybe if one of mt other dolls has a child it would be a boy. BUt not an ADULT or TEENAGER boy, just a little boy...

*points above*

I'd have to say yes....

why not? that's why they sell bodys on thier own after all!

12. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I don't buy one sex of doll because I often fall for face sculpts without caring much about the gender
      ^~^;
      It all depends on the face sculpts for me ^.^
      Yes I would! It's quite fun with very astonishing results o_O

13. When I first began to collect I originally wanted mostly boy dolls bc most of my original characters were boys. Over the years I learned that I am happier with girl dolls and they are more successful in my collection.

14. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Right now I have both male and female dolls. The female dolls interest me more, though. However, I tried to sell both of my male dolls, but after some time I realized I was far more attached one of them than I'd realized. My collection looks incomplete without him on the shelf. So, he's staying.

At this point I don't know that I will buy a male doll again. If I did, perhaps it would be a young boy.

Well, I assign the traditionally female gender roles to my dolls in terms of dress and aesthetic so I guess the female sex overall is more appealing to me.

Sure, If I found one that that I thought would make a great girl, I'd give it a shot. These dolls are made to be molded by their owners, so why not? :)

15. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I don't really have a preference for gender as such. I buy what I like at the time. It just happens I mostly like female dolls, so far at least.

Not necessarily. Though, I do find myself preferring the cute female dolls. I like manly men, IE Iplehouse's Tedros, so I tend not to go for the boys that much. They're just to pretty most of the time. I can admire them in the collections of others, but they just don't attract me to purchase.

Funnily, there is a MNF, Ruth, who I would like to get AS a girl even though it's filed under male on the FairyLand site. I just think that she'd make a lovely, boyish girl with the right face-up.

16. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I started off buying more boys but currently am leaning way towards girls. I guess it's because girl dolls are easier to relate to, myself being a girl. Also I have great difficulty styling boys into what I want them to be (often getting frustrated with my own bad choices of wigs and clothes because they can't achieve the look I envisioned.) Girls are wayy easier.

I never really consider gender when it comes to buying dolls, it depends on their face sculpt really.

No, I love the freedom I have to make the doll either female and male. However I'm more drawn to androgynous sculpts rather than sculpts that are obviously masculine or feminine.

LOL lets see.. I have a Volks Cristal boy (girl head on a boy body), Michele girl (boy head on a girl body), and a Shirou T girl (boy head on a girl body). I just realized I own more boy sculpts than girl sculpts even though I prefer girl dolls! XD

17. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

I do, because I base my dolls off of characters that have been rped for a long time and are my favorite characters out of the dozen I've had. I've only had a few male characters and I could never roleplay them properly, or to how I liked them to be portrayed, so that is why I do not have any male dolls.

Probably not, just because the majority of my characters are females and I do not plan on getting any male dolls and creating a character for them.

No, the sculpt of the head appeals to me. If they are sold separately, I will buy the head and body separate or make a hybrid if I do not like the company's body.

Already have done that, lol. I have a Resinsoul An (male head) on a mature Bobobie female body. But if I had to do it again, I would, because the sculpt of the head is the most important thing to me, it defines the character and gives the doll their personality.

18. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Currently I only have girls, but I hope to have a male one day (There is a specific character I want to use). If I ever find a mold that I'd like and can afford him, then I will have both genders.

No. It's all face molds, all the way!

Well my girl Davey is technically a boy head. So I guess in a way I've done this (I think that goes along with the question).

19. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I have yet to buy my first doll, but the girls are more appealing to me. I think it's because I prefer girly, feminine clothes. I'd rather not dress a boy doll.

Yeah. Eventually I bet I'll see a boy that I like.

It doesn't make it more appealing, but less appealing.

Mhm, but it would be because I find adrogyny, cross-dressers, and trannies interesting.

20. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Lack of experience in the "buying" department, but I usually drift toward looking only at male sculpts, at least the ones that do look male enough :P. Though recently I've looked more closely at female sculpts too because I see the potential in modding them to be males XD. But obviously, I like male dolls better, because I dislike more feminine looking clothes.

Yes, I'm thinking of buying a Narae when I win the lottery @_@.

I think so, though I like androgynous sculpts, I prefer the male body and clothing.

Already planning on it~