1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Oops, did I just buy that?

Jul 28, 2010

1. This has definitely happened to me before. A few times actually. XD Once with a puki and another time with my Elfdoll Red...and with one or two others I think. It is really strange, that half-awake dreamlike trance you get in. It's just...click..click...click.........wait. Did I just buy that doll? o_O;! I've never regretted an impulse buy, though a few times I have sold the doll later on. It was never out of buyers remorse though, just because of bonding issues, or because I wanted to remold the character as a different doll. :)

2. The only doll I've ever bought completely on impulse was Karru, my tanned Shiwoo... but even then, it wasn't all that impulsive. I'd sort-of casually watched that doll linger in the DoA Marketplace untouched for months, and then through two cycles on eBay without a bid before his owner listed him one last time at a price I just couldn't say no to. I didn't have any plans to buy a tanned doll. I knew I'd be too paranoid about the resin to ever do much with one... But there he was, and so I bought him anyway, and I have absolutely no regrets about that.

Now, eyes on the other hand... I am a doll eye FIEND. I'm very bad about doing that "Oh, that's a cool color." and buying a set in one of the sizes I use most often, having no idea who'll end up wearing them. If anyone. As a result, have an entire box full of spare eyes. Tons of the things, from inexpensive Chinese eyes to antique blown glass to urethanes...

Since I don't buy many new dolls these days, and my crew all have defaults that I never change, I have no idea what I'm going to do with all of them. Aside from pulling them all out once in awhile just to look at them, like some kind of dragon's horde, anyway. XD

3. Ha, I feel your pain because I have done this before but luckily for me it usually happens right after I adopt a doll out and I go through the "missing her" phase. And $20 for food, huh? How do you feel about Ramen noodles? That's what I lived on in college. They're cheap and filling! :)

4. No, I've never done that. It would be so easy though wouldn't? lol I always plan my dolls out for a few months before I 100% set my heart on them.

5. I just did it....and he is very expensive (for me) I was in a panic and I couldn't even sleep worrying at first.:o But I love him very much and I will sell things to help pay for him!;)

6. I usually do this with floating heads or wigs, maybe eyes... never a full doll though! It's bad enough when I rush into buying a new head and then realize later that I absolutely have no use for it whatsoever- but to buy a full doll that way would probably give me heart failure... >.<

EDIT: I just realized that my second doll was pretty much that- I'd planned to buy him, I spotted him for sale on the MP and he was the first thing I'd ever bought from DoA...

Then I also just bought a Mr. Hat head on impulse... I mean... it was there... ;)

7. I definitely just impulse bought a dyed OD So off the MP. But come on, she was $50. Awesome deal and I can turn her into Midna from Twilight Princess.

8. My impulse buys are generally for the clothes (DollHeart Fukubukuro... sweet jesus... I bought 7 over christmas and thought later, man did I really buy all of these?) My soom Glot was kind of an impulse buy. My justification was: mini Beryl, BUY IT!

I haven't regretted it yet ^^; I'm trying to rein my spending in though, I may have to give someone my card to lock away since i'm trying to get back to college. I will need my monies Lol XD

9. heh heh Just last night I impulse-bought a Little Fee Dark Elf Soo. Well, DES is my favorite sculpt, and I'd been wanting one, and someone was offering a fullset on the MP last night that included everything but the outfit for a very reasonable price. So ... I bought (please note I was NOT half asleep at the time. So I have no excuse other than I wanted her XD ).

Last month it was an impulse buy for a Souldoll Little Kimmy, who is one of the very few 1/6 Obitsu-scale male dolls in existance and has been discontinued for a long time now. I snatched him up right away because that was the first I'd even seen one up for sale. I wasn't even looking for him, he was just there, calling me, telling me I'd regret it if I didn't take him home.

Oddly enough, even though I'm constantly looking at clothes for them, I a bit more reluctant to impulsively buy clothes than I am the actual dolls. I'm weird that way. ^^;

10. In pretty much all aspects (dolls mostly included) I'm physically incapable of impulse buying (I can stand for fifteen minutes looking at a bracelet I really like, checking the price tag every once in a while and then leave the shop without it because I just can't justify spending money on a lot of things). However, when I fall in love with a doll that's pretty much it. Which wouldn't be that much of a problem of it wasn't for the DoA marketplace and rare dolls that are a 'now or never' buy. I gave up my 'wait until one doll is complete before buying the next' rule to get two dolls and a head. I have two naked dolls, two bald ones, two eyeless ones and one without a body because now I'm broke >.>

11. i read this and i was like "impulse doll buy? nope, just other things" then i remembered what i did last September :C
      I impulsed commissioned from a persons newly open doll corsets thread. for a doll i didn't even have yet. turns out due to problems with the company im never going to get her (angry face) but im not upset with the buy because she did a phenomenal job!

and hey I'll get an sd girl soon enough, if not my friend is getting one soon and she'll be naked (do you guys share doll things too?). for now though my boy has been cross-dressing :P in an outfit barely clinging to his bulky body

12. When I first gained marketplace access I impulsively bought a Kid Delf Ttori head that I think is so beautiful. I still love it even if I bought it on a total whim. ^o^

13. Usually speaking, I'm not the impulsive buyer. My boyfriend is the one who normally will go out and buy multiple little things (Not doll related) and then go "OMG, How did I spend $100 in two days?"

However...I had a little $300 slip not too long ago...

I have two Minifee's already, something that I didn't expect (But Shiwoos are cute, and I need to save them all!). Anyway, one night I was going through the Mp and happened across a Dark Elf Soo, a doll that I had never thought about buying. But...I wanted her, like...seriously needed this doll. So, without a second thought I messaged the person selling her, and then she was at my Mom's house a couple days later.
      My Mom didn't help much, since she spoils my dolls like crazy.

Did I mention, I don't like girl dolls? But now, I have two :D

14. Actually, this seems to be the case with me more often than not these days! I think I'm older, wiser, and more in touch with my intuition, so buying decisions are easier. Rather than agonizing over them for days or weeks, I can tell immediately whether or not something will be worth the price to me.

In fact, I think this can be a better way to wind up with things you like than agonizing over it and trying to talk yourself out of it. I find that my first instinct is often correct. Now I struggle with trying to capture that elusive first instinct before reason kicks in with a bunch of reasons why I don't need it.

15. haha, nope I havnt done that yet but this thread caught my eye because I had a horrible dream last night. I had accidently bought a doll and it was already being shipped to my house before the check even cleard *like that would happen* and then I had this horrible nervouse stomach as I realized the consequences. what the hell would I tell my dad? ( im still a teen so he pays for my dollies). it was a gut wrenching fealing of worry and guilt but then I woke up 8D

16. The one time I bought a doll impulsively was with my ToYou Sara. It felt exactly like being on a diet. I knew very well that I shouldn't, but it felt like the other half of my brain was putting it's fingers in it's ears going 'lalala' and going for that buy-button, pushing all thought aside for 'after' because 'after' there would be no going back!
      I had no regrets about Sara though, but I did feel ashamed about how impulsively I bought her and only told my partner after six weeks or so that she would be coming.

On the other hand, I regret so much not buying Leekeworld Milch in the brief period she was available. But I was 'smart' and doing the 'wise thing' and being careful with my money. Yugh.
      Sometimes being impulsive is the wise thing in this hobby, it's just really hard to know when it is and when it isn't.

LE's are dangerous things when it comes to this and I'm glad that apart from Milch and my CCC I don't seem to fall for LE's generally. I think it would make this hobby more stressful for me as I'm the sort of person who likes to think things over for months if I can before I buy something big.

17. I have managed to avoid this currently. At least in the doll world that is, because I can usually rationalize my way out of it. Hehe. There have been plenty of things and websites I have opened up, looked at, closed, opened back up, looked at and finally closed out just because I tell myself I should be good.

I do however impulse shop with beads. Beads and food. I have a lot of both of that floating around my room. >_>

18. I am usually OK when I am looking at the dolls online or in a magazine, but to see them in person, like at IDEX, and I lose all restraint. I go home open my suitcase and desperately try to remember what my grand total expenditure was. I just can not pass up anything I want when I see it in person.

19. Impulse buying? How else do you suppose I ended up with 13 (with another one on my way that definitely was not planned at any point along the way)?!? :|

It's only really safe for me to browse the marketplace if I don't have any money - because otherwise dolls just kind of have this habit of falling into my possession. It's quite mysterious; one moment there's money in my account, the next minute there's a doll instead....

20. I always tell myself not to buy curly wigs, or not to buy a lot of wigs in general xp

Lo and behold, I bought a white curly wig which is all blaahhh now, but I plan on restyling it xP

I swear I'm about to buy like every detachable ponytail wig ever >< Darn you Leekeworld for having pastel colored-detachable-ponytail-wigs!!!!