1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on anthropomorphic dolls?

Apr 4, 2017

1. I love anthropomorphic designs, if they're done well.
      I'm particularly taken with centaurs and digitigrade dolls (centaurs especially).
      I also really like aquatic characters and insectoids, which are often really creative, weird and have beautiful colour pallets.

2. I love insectoids! And things which looks cool and ugly at the same time, haha
      I'm kind of bored with the whole human+cat ears thing (i just wouldn't get them myself) But i love strange-looking mixes of human and animal, kind of chimeras!

3. I love them. All my dolls are anthros. I think I like them the most because I grew up with Disney and loved the movies they did with mostly an animal cast. Robin Hood come to mind.

4. I love anthros, but my gripe is all the cat girls out there are so delicate and have petite paws and muzzles and they are lucky if they have clawed hands. I want a savage cat girl, more of a weretigress. Give me a big cat like muzzle, large pawed feet with digitigrade legs, and clawed hands. I want a cat girl that could tear your throat out, not one that can just sip milk out of a tea up while batting her eyelashes.

5. I think they are super cool if done well, I really want Carol from Doll Chateau.

6. I think any Athro with a well thought of design and personality can be the best doll out there.

7. There are a lot of dolls in human form and there are people who want something new. It seems to have been developed to meet their needs. I like that particular form.

8. I really like them in other people's collections because they often get such creative styling and seem to bring out people's best stories. I'm still undecided for my own collection though. I have a small kitty anthro but she's neglected. If I ever get another, I think it would be a large SOOM boy with hooves. The option parts nekomimi on my current dolls are considered costumes. ;)

9. I think the small dolls from Pipos and Dear Mine are very cute and I thought about getting some, the only thing that stop me is that they would be just pets and not full characters. So I'm afraid of ignoring them. On this area I prefer kemonomimi, humans with animal ears and tails, than a animal head and paws.

10. I like some of the cat and rabbit ones, and I've seen a couple of little mouse anthros that are quite cute. The DC insectoid ones really creep me out though *shivers*. Reminds of that old classic movie The Fly. I don't have room for many more large dolls which I really love, so I'm developing an interest in tinies...so there well may be a few anthros in my future too.

11. I love anthropomorphic dolls! I wish there were more with really anthromorphic proportions though, like with full digitigrade legs and bigger hips (exactly what I couldn't find for my bunny boy) and actual well-sculpted paws instead of either little nails that don't really make a difference or ugly oven-mitt-looking paws. (I like the legs on Soom Shale; he's super cute.) I also have a strange fondness for human bodies with animal heads, like the Homme Lion at Dollmore. They remind me of ancient gods. :3nodding:

12. I think they definitely have their place. Some can look better than others to my mind but I think it'd be hard to find a sculpt without at least one die-hard fan. Some freak me out a little, though.

13. I love them! So much in fact that my next human dolls are gonna be Furry and Therian characters :kitty2

14. I'm super picky about them too, so many of them end up in that too-human looking uncanny valley...Dearmine cats all look like someone just stuck a cat snout on a human face in my opinion and I find them very off-putting @___@ Those off-topic Hujoo SD sized animal girls creep me out too for the same reason.

I've found that I really love anthro tinies though! Cocoriang's Tobi and Mocka are pretty high on my wish list along with one of those tiny sio2 kittens and Dollzone's Mini Kitty! I also agree with @KiyoshiSenshi about the full on animal heads on normal human bodies, I'd love to see someone make like an ancient egyptian god styled doll like that!

15. They're why I got into bjd. There are enough human things in model kits, statues, and even off-topic dolls like Azone's stuff to scratch the itch. More anime girls with cat ears than I can shake a stick at. But I can't even name ten full anthro toys or statues outside of real bjds.

Still trying to decide between Dear Mine and Pipos though.

16. I think they're neat to look at, especially the odder ones like insectoids and reptiles as others have mentioned. I do share some of the mentioned pet peeves, such as redundant human ears and breasts where they don't make sense. I don't know if I'll ever feel the urge to own one for myself, but for now i enjoy seeing what others do with their creatures.

17. There are many that are really beautiful, but they personally are not my thing to collect or own for myself. I can (and do) appreciate the ones that are owned by others, though.

18. I'm not a fan. But then I don't really like that aesthetic in art, either. I've always been fascinated by the human form, and faces, in my drawing and other crafts and so it's that aspect that drew me to BJDs.

That said, some of the more unusual ones, like the spiders and an elephant I saw recently, are oddly fascinating. I can see where the interest lies. I think I prefer them more to the sort of completely human but with cat like features.

19. I like anthro dolls, but as someone above said I'm a little picky. Basically an anthro doll has to appeal to me in some way just like a non-anthro does, usually with a cute or interesting face that catches my eye. If they happen to be anthro that's just a bonus in my eyes, something that adds uniqueness to the cute face. That being said, I haven't found too many anthro dolls that tickle my fancy. The ones that do catch my eye are usually part cat (I love cats), but not always. I love Doll Chateau's Elizabeth, for example, and she is definitely...NOT a cat doll!

20. I love them! I try to not get too attached to smaller anthro dolls (what would I do with them??) but I’ve been tempted by the bigger ones. I adore human/animal hybrid dolls. Taurs being my favorite but anything with hooves usually is love at first sight haha. I like paw feet but they have to not be overly cartoony with those big ol bubble toes. I hope to have a lot more human/animal hybrid dolls in the future.