1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions about Obitsus - Pros and Cons?

Sep 3, 2006

1. I love my obitsu body. I had some issues with it at first. I originally got it used and the hip joints were so tight I could not raise the legs forward, and the internal part broke on my way to a doll meet up. I was able to order the correct parts for my doll from parabox (junkyspot didnt have the ones I needed) and install them. Now my girl poses like a dream. I originally bought a custom painted eyes head that was finished with a wig off ebay. I love the look of here even though she has had some accidents, and her wig has gone insane! Recently, I got a Gretel head, and you must have the plastic washer thingy to install it. I also got the option hands for her. They are especially fun when you want the doll to hold a sword!

My girl poses like a dream (now), she has wonderful expression, and I am not afraid of her like I am my Dollzone Yuu. I sew for her, and she holds still while I take her measurements.

The only problem I have with my girl right now is the staining! It is BAD. Many dark clothes stain, so everything has to be lined with white fabric.

She wears MSD sized shoes easily so far. I have not tried getting her any crazy tall boots though. Just little mini converse and addidas style shoes. The Obitsu made shoes are a rubbery vinyl like material that is a pain to get on and off without aid of a hair dryer. They are kinda silly looking, floppy on the end of the foot because they run big in the foot and small in the ankle, and they dont have real laces. I get my MSD sized shoes from MimiWoo on ebay, and so far it has worked out well for me. It is also nice that the shoes for her are so cute and cheap (unlike for my Yuu)!

Which remindes me, when changing any part out with an Obitsu -Even removing the head cap from the Gretel head- It is EASYER when you heat things up with a hair dryer.

I have both a large and small bust for her, the large one is safely kept away in a plastic baggie. If I ever re-sell her though, I would have to buy her a new lower body covering piece because her bum is so dirty. I don't care for the big bust as much because the boobs are just too huge for my taste (being smaller breasted myself it could just be a tinge jealousy...).

2. I have to say that as a "starter doll" they are not bad. I got Satori because I needed a model for my costume history class and bringing in full size examples is difficult and expensive. So the fact that I pull her apart to get ther dressed is a big help. I like both the Gretel and Hukura faces too. The DD does not have a face that I like but the body is bueatful. Satori's legs are about one "head" to tall (for those of you who remeber figure drawing from art class).
      Anyway, my husband does not know it but I'm sure that Satori will not be the last one I get....;)
      I would love to see a great pair of jeans on the market for her among other things. She would look good in any floor length coat as well (leather maybe? but any fabric would do).
      Kimonos that are long enough would also be nice!
      Good luck with your project!
      Eliz Ives

3. I -love- Obitsus. I saw one at a meet, and have been lusting after one since! They're just... wonderfully poseable, and the Gretel head is just -precious-. ^^ I love the body, too, and the fact that she's less expensive, which means I'll be more willing to try new things with her. ^^

4. They do have week piece that can break, but it doesn't seem to happen to a large percentage of the dolls. I don't remember seeing more than one post about a broken joint.
      The "bones" in side the skin are sturdy, too. I wouldn't let a toddler handle them, but I let my 9 & 11 year old girls play with my Obitsu all the time. No breakage.
      I've seen a lot of posts about resin fingers or joints breaking and joints chipping. I think anything that gets handled a lot runs a risk of being damaged. Rest assured, Obitsus are a high quality doll and can handle being "handled"
      Susan

5. The only part I ever broke was the waist/pelvis joint. I thought it was because she once fell out of the car as I was getting out with her (ouch!) & it had a fine crack, but it may have just been a fault, as Parabox replaced it for free when I told them what happened.

That was a solid plastic internal part. As her hands are soft like a DD, there is little chance of breaking her fingers, &, so far, after taking a DD1 apart last night, I'd say her joints are stronger with less likelihood of breaking at the wrist, for instance, like my DD1, who came with a broken wrist-joint.

Lucy

6. I have just got my first doll - Lottie. She is an obitsu with a custom Haruka head and I just love her to bits..... possibly literally (!) as she seems to have developed a wobbly leg :...( I have had a good look at her and tightened her screw but no luck. if I hold her up in standing position her left leg just kinda... swings!!!
      Can anybody help please??? thanks!!!

7. I plan of getting an obitsu body and Gretel head. I like my resin BJD, but it will be nice to silence the little voice in my head that is alway yelling "BE CAREFUL, THAT'S AN ENTIRE PAYCHECK YOU'RE PLAYING WITH".

8. Is it the ball at the hip joint that is loose? If it is you will have to push it back on to it's post. Just apply some force and give the joint a small amount of twist as you push it back together. There is a dip on the post and a ridge inside the joint that have to meet up, and if they don't the leg tends to swing. Just grip her thigh with the leg in the normal position as you do it so that you have the best leverage. I had that problem with my doll after I replaced the internal hip post and external hip joints on my doll.

It was my dad that figured out how to get them to pop together right. It does take a little force, but the key really is to twist it a bit. It seems scary and counter-intuitive but remember that if something breaks you can always (and very easily) order more parts! Heck you can even build a doll from all the spare parts available, but it would cost more than just buying the doll whole...

Good luck! :)

9. Oops, Double post! Yikes! :doh

Please delete me.

10. I have a 60cm Obitsu 2 part soft body. I love her. I wanted a highly poseable doll that has a mature body shape. She fits both well.

11. Thanks so much FunnyLori!! I appreciate your help. The ball joint looks OK form the outside but it does sound like that is what has happened and that it isn't immediatly obvious from looking at her. I will have to (eek!!!) o-p-e-r-a-t-e!! on her later and see what's what.
      I'll let you know how it goes!!
      Thanks agian (hugs)

12. :D No problem! (hugs back) Mine looked okay from the outside too. It is so hard to tell until you give it that good push and then you really notice the difference. The only tiny bit I noticed was the joint seemed a bit too far out of the skin socket area.

The operation may seem scary at first, but she will pull through just fine I am sure! Just try not to stress the internal upright supports too much. A good firm grip on both hips is the best way to get the most leverage and avoid over stressing the other joints.

:) My Obitsu says that her operation didn't hurt at all! And she's had a couple of major ones. ;)

13. Obitsu's are huggable! That is one point I haven't heard made yet. They are much more cuddly than the hard bony resin dolls. Just don't squeeze them too tight or you will get poked by a few bones... ;)

14. That sounds exactly what the matter is then!! That joint is ever so slightly sticking out compared to the other one even though it feels like it is all the way in there. :) and thanks for the reassurance from your Obitsu (what is her / his name?) Lottie has been very scared about it although she is putting on a brave face for me!! I have only had her a couple of weeks and I was so upset thinking she had broken already. I would still love her though. and yes, they are very huggable! :love
      I will prepare an operating theater......!!

15. Her name is Tohru Honda after the character in Fruits Basket, but my friend Brady insists on calling her Vanessa because she looks like our friend by the same name. :) My dolls are named after characters from fruits basket, but they have yet to actually act like or become anything like the characters. :)

Here is her mug shot.
      [​IMG]

16. She is beautiful! :love Lottie says thanks for the support!! :)
      Well, I have tried to operate and I am sure you are right about the hip joint but for the life of me I can't get it to pop back in :...( I have tried to twist it and push it and squeeze hips together and compared it to the other joint and lined them up the same but it is just having no effect. She has also marked very badly I have just found from her black socks :( Does the MSC eraser work on Obitsus as well??
      Sorry for all the pathetic newbie questions.... I can quite happily cope with my kids being ill but when it comes to Lottie I am a paranoid first time mum all over again!!!
      Thanks so much for your help.

17. here is the link from Parabox on disassembling your doll
      http://www.parabox.jp/eng/faq/faq1.html
      Maybe this will help you diagnose and fix your doll ;)
      I have used the Mr Clean eraser on my doll and it worked well. You might also try the Junkyspot forum. They are all about Obitsus and very helpful. Here's the link for the 60cm part of the forum.
      http://www.junkyspot.com/OBITSU/forums/index.php?showforum=6
      Susan

18. i never really seen an obitsu in person i have for resin balljointdolls, R they really good to work with?

19. I have never handled one. But their bodies look so simple, they lack detail. I've heard though that they have great posing ability:lol: