1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on 'touching' a BJDs face?

Jun 28, 2016

1. I do this. Or at least try to have one hand gloved when handling and a free one if I'm struggling with a wig. *_* My gloves also stay with my doll's clothes so I remember to wear them. I always wash my hands before, too. 'v'

2. I'll touch my own doll's faces, sometimes you kinda have to to get head caps back on or position the eyes right or even just to brush a bit of fluff off but I don't think i'd touch someone else's doll. I mean it seems rude and you just don't know how well sealed it is or how dirty your hands might be.
      I do my own faceups so if I do smear anything, I can just fix it and it's mine so who cares? but someone else's stuff is someone else's stuff, I wouldn't even handle someone else's playline doll unless they said it was okay. Not my property, thus not mine to fondle.

I use the chin/jaw to move the heads, or the top of the head haha. Just because it's the best place to get that kind of grip. But yeah, i'm not too fussed about touching the faces of my own dolls, I know they're sealed and i'm not gonna be like rubbing them or something. The seal should protect from light touching/handling.
      But it's just rude to go all grabby hands on someone else's stuff. Not yours, keep your hands off.

3. As being a very new BJD owner, I'm still very careful with my boy's faceup. It's a factory faceup, and it seems much more beautiful than anything I'd be able to paint on him right now, so I want it to last as long as it can until I'm prepared to do my own faceups. If I need to move his head, I usually grab him by the temples, over the wig, to move it. I don't touch his ears or even his chin out of fear of scratching something or wearing away the sealant. XD He has body blushing, and it's wearing away a bit around his joints, but I'm not too concerned about that, as I work with pastels as an artist already and feel that blushing is a very easy fix.

4. My favorite boy was just repainted because his eyebrow was dirty and worn away in places from years of me not being careful enough smoothing his bangs out of his eyes. :doh It takes time for the damage to accumulate enough to be noticeable so it's easy to get careless, but touching a faceup you want to keep as little as possible is good policy. I try to remember to move their heads by holding their heads behind the hairline.

5. I try to move heads with or behind the ears (I don't have anyone with a faceplate), or by holding in a spot that's covered by the wig. I tend not to touch their face-ups unless it's to brush something off, like a hair or dust. I've programmed myself so well that I even hesitate to touch blank faces...

6. Count me among those who don't touch their dolls' faces. I move their heads by grabbing the top of the head/underside of the chin. I'm OK at faceups but not brilliant at them, and also very picky about the exact expression I see on the doll's face, so it takes me a good bit of work and several tries before I get their faceups exactly the way I want them. Once I am finally happy with it, I want it to last as long as possible!

I'm also not a very tactile person when it comes to my dolls; I don't hold them/cuddle them/touch them in any way past what's necessary to move or pose them or dress them, so their faces are no exception to that. So I guess even if the faceups were 100% permanent I wouldn't touch their faces.

7. Touching my own dolls Faces : Yes, I do this a lot but I do tend to rub sealant off their chins and the point of the nose.

I never touch another owner's dolls on the face, or hair. I will politely ask them to move them to move the hair out of the way if I want to see the face up.

8. I'm kinda picky about faceup, so I really don't touch the face.

9. I am someone who's kinda rough with their dolls in general, but I try to be semi-careful with faceups. After a period of time I usually see the typical wear spots on the point of the chin, the nose, and sometimes the lips. I'm more careful with my dolls that have custom faceups by other artists. I have a couple with defaults that I was trying to keep intact, but one of them suffered cheek and forehead damage from their face mask rubbing their wig onto their face. So in an effort to protect his face, he got more damaged. XP
      When handling them, I usually grab them by the ears, or under the chin (by the neck joint) and the top of the head.

10. I don't really touch my babies faces too much, but I have been guilty of 'booping' noses from time to time. I don't want to destroy my babies but I also don't want to spend the kind of money that goes into this hobby just to store them in their boxes or high up on a shelf where they will never be touched. *shrug*

BTW @Wolfie Pie I LOVE your avi! :love
      Hmmm... now I have a hankering for an Uta BJD xD

11. I never touch their faces other than to perhaps move a hair before taking a pic. I always hold the heads at the sides or under the chin and top, or anywhere except the face area.

12. I don't touch their faces any less than I touch the rest of them.

Teddy

13. I SEE U TALKING ABT ME AND NICKY LMAO /stalks all your comments
      but yeah i try not to touch his face if i can help it, but sometimes it just can't be helped! since i was the one who did his faceup and i plan on redoing it eventually, it's not that big of a concern to me.
      i have chronically sweaty hands, so whenever i feel inclined to pet his face i usually use the backs of my hands or fingers, because the skin there is drier and would probably have less oil/grease/dirt ^__^

14. To move the head, I usually hold the top of the head, with my fingers behind the ears and tilt it that way. I don't really touch the face; if there's a spec of dust on it, I wipe it off with a suft brush. Since I don't do face-ups myself, I have to be careful. Don't have a money-tree at home, sadly ;).

15. I'm another one who does all my own painting so I'm not really worried about damage to my own dolls' faceups. I wear gloves during the process of painting them but after that they're fair game :sweatthey are painted from top to bottom and something is going to wear off eventually. If other people are interested in what their texture is like, I have a sacrificial practice head that I keep around for everyone to grope to their heart's content.

I'd pretty much never touch another person's things without their permission, though (just so it doesn't seem like this philosophy extends to others' dolls) unless it was in immediate danger of being damaged, and even with permission I would still try to avoid touching anything exposed that was painted, everyone has different rules about how their dolls are handled and I'd rather not take chances.

16. I usually adjust their head with the wig and ears.

17. I used to adjust head position by grasping my boys with a thumb under his chin and the forefinger on top of his head. Then I noticed one day that the sealant on his chin was wearing off. Since then, I only adjust the head by grasping him by the ears for all my guys.

18. Normally I'd move their heads by holding the sides of their head, the top, and/or under their chin.

But sometimes their face might get a little dusty, and the dust is annoying so blowing it off doesn't work, so you need to touch their face to brush the dust off.

19. At first, I was extremely nervous about my boy's face being touched. In fact, I maybe was TOO delicate with him. I literally freaked out when my sister laid a finger on him when I first got him out of the box. Now, I think I'm more comfortable with him and I do touch his face whenever it seems necessary. I usually turn his head just by holding the back of it, since it's a little habit that I've developed when I was too nervous to even brush the dust off of his faceup. >_<

20. I try to refrain from touching their faces
      I move them by touching the top of their heads or chin