1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on 'touching' a BJDs face?

Jun 28, 2016

1. I touch my dolls' faces all the time haha... mostly stuff like caressing their cheeks because they are just so adorable. Of course I'll only do it with clean hands cause I wouldn't want to smudge dirt or grease or anything over them if I can help it.
      I do my own faceups and haven't done one that is simply perfect and godlike enough to say "I must preserve this as long as possible!!" so I don't really care too much about wearing off a faceup and having to do it again a bit sooner.
      When handling my dolls for faceups or maintenance I just grab the backs of their heads.

2. I hate when someone touch the face of my dolls. When it's me the person who made the faceup I always touch because I won't feel bad it something happens with the make up, but when I didn't paint my dolls I try to don't touch. I don't have this bad feeling when I touch some part with body blushing, even when I or other person made this lol

3. I usually use their chins, ears and wigs to be able to pose their heads, but for other peoples dolls I wouldn't risk it unless I asked specifically how THEY choose to do it.

4. With my own dolls I'm not too careful since I've done all the face ups so far, so if I mess it up somehow I can redo it. However, I'm sure if I commissioned a nice face up from someone else I would be far more careful with it since it would be much harder to fix.

5. I touch the face of my own dolls pretty often. I've never noticed any negative side effects from, I just occasionally wipe down their faces and they look as good as new.

6. I touch my boys faces a lot, especially on David as his long hair gets caught on his face a lot!

7. I wouldn't touch someone else's dolls at all without asking, but for my own I don't really think about it much.
      Sometimes I touch the face and sometimes I don't, but I usually grab the ears when I want to move the head.
      Grabbing the nose or something would be kind of silly though x)
      I do the faceups myself though so that might be why. I think I was a bit more careful with the original faceup he came with.

8. I touch my dolls' faces-- though I'm probably able to be so casual about it because I do my own faceups. If anything goes horribly wrong, then I'd be able to just redo it.

If I were trying to preserve a company faceup or a comissioned faceup, then I doubt I'd touch their faces as much as I do.

If I know I'm going to be doing a LOT of face touching (eg. A posing session), or if I feel my hands aren't clean enough (even after washing), then I do wear cotton gloves.

Moving the head doesn't involve a lot of face touching though- I usually sort of cup my hand around the back of the head and have my fingers on the ears or temple ish area, sometimes even on the wig itself. That's just how I do it, though!

9. I don't touch them without gloves on. I wouldn't touch their faces even with gloves on.

10. I'd never touch someone else's doll's head. However, I do with my dolls when posing them.

11. Yeah I touch their face, and this could lead to damage of their makeup, so from time to time I just change makeups.

12. I handle them by their ears. I wouldn't dare to touch a face directly. Faceups cost too much money & it's not like you can commission someone today and get the head back tomorrow. It takes a while. Gotta take care of what you have. Not saying that by touching their faces you aren't taking care of them... but you know what I mean.

13. The majority of my dolls are LEs with company face ups. I try very hard not to ever touch their faces. I consider my dolls to be collectors items, not toys, so I'm very gentle with them.

14. Try to avoid it as much as possible, so will use the top of his head and chin or ears to move his head.
      Other peoples dolls heads I wouldnt touch at all!

15. I'm very careful not to touch the faces of other people's dolls, but with my own I don't really care unless I've just been eating/put on lotion/ect, in which case I'll wash my hands first. My one boy has a very loose wig with lots of big curls, so touching the wig is sort of a no-no, so I pinch his chin on either side. He's due for a new faceup anyway, and I'll probably be a bit more careful after he gets it.

It's not as if I go about meaning to handle my doll by the face, it just sort of happens sometimes and I don't fret about it too much. Occasionally I do like to give their noses or cheeks a gentle pat with one finger, but not super often.

16. I touch Vince's face all the time, tbh. I'm a little more careful with the others because I did a better job on their faceups, but sometimes it's unavoidable with Pete, too-- if I have to put his tight-fitting wig back on, his face is getting touched. I just try to avoid his more detailed features.

And being as touchy as I've been with Vince's face just because he had such a faint, indistinct starter faceup for so long, I will probably continue to touch his face all the time when I finish redoing it, but... then, if I mess his face up, the nice thing about doing my own faceups is knowing I'll be able to fix it. But right this second, he's blank awaiting a new faceup so it doesn't so much matter and I can poke at his cute little face just because.

(but I would consider it the height of rudeness to touch a stranger or new acquaintance's doll's face! I live with my sister and I wouldn't even touch her doll's faces without permission unless it was somehow the only way to save one from taking a nosedive, or if I was helping wipe them for repainting)

17. I only touch their faces when my hands if they are clean, and even then it's normally a small tap on their nose!xD To pose them I just turn their head by holding on to the back of their heads.

18. Well, I'm a bit careful with Thranduil because he was given a face up by Modoll... Tom was all painted by me, and I want to make some mods at some point anyway as I'm not happy with his mouth. I was a bit heavy handed with the brush! I do touch them, though, as do my parents. I'm not too careful because I want to enjoy having them. I don't see the point in spending all the money and then leaving them in a box.

Iker is a special case, because he was a custom commission. The minimum order from the casting company was 10. Therefore, I have ten heads! I did a face up on one, and, well, I'm probably less careful with him than the others simple because I have another nine!

19. so far, im pretty liberal with touching my own dolls faceup (i mean, at the moment i only have a floating head with a faceup, so i dont know about when it comes to posing the head)... i just make sure my hands are clean first.
      i would never touch another persons doll without their very clear permission though. i probs wouldnt even touch the face even if the owner said it was fine, haha!

20. My doll had a default faceup at first and I was careful, but I didn't worry about it too much. But now that she will have a commissioned faceup, I'll definitely be stressing over messing it up D: I will be treating it as gently as possible, I want it to last ^^ I haven't been to a meetup yet, but I think I would either ask the owner before touching or I would just look. I would never touch someone elses doll without knowing if they'd be ok with it or not, hopefully they would do the same for my doll.