1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on 'touching' a BJDs face?

Jun 28, 2016

1. I find that I don't mind touching my doll's face, albeit carefully when I do, to position them the way I want. Faceups are pretty resistant so I don't worry much about it.

2. Sometimes im tempted to poke a cheek ( my girl maxine just looks so darn cute sometimes i cant help it :3 ) but rarely do i do this. Mostly if i have to move the head i turn her from the side or the bottom back of the head.

3. I feel it's rude to touch the faces of other owner's dolls. With permission, sure go for it, but I don't. I'm a bit paranoid I might smudge the face up or whatever, so I just don't. For my dolls, I don't like other people touching their faces. I don't touch their faces either, unless I have to pose them (I nudge their chin, or grip the top of their heads, but never the face).

4. I don't touch mine if I can help it and certainly not a doll that belongs to someone else. But I'm also not tempted to do it either. I just don't touch people's faces and I guess that habit trickled into doll world.

5. Sorry to ask this, I'm new to BJD. But judging from how everyone is responding here, I can't help but wonder does the face up come off easily? I always thought it would be quite durable...:sweat

6. They can be pretty fragile, and even the more durable ones get dirty over time and are risky to clean. Most methods used for cleaning the dolls can damage or remove the faceup, so not touching the face is as much about keeping them clean as it is about not damaging the faceup.

That aside, I do get a certain naughty amusement out of rubbing my hands all over a doll's faceup (if it is mine or is one we are removing that day)

7. @ eleniel Thanks for answering...so what's the best way to clean the face IF they do get dirty without wiping the whole face up?

8. i will screech if anyone gets close to my dolls face

9. grr... i hate it esp. when other people plaw with their wigs too... so in really not okay with em touching my dolls face... i also do face ups... so its important to keep em with their face mask to protect their face ups

10. I try to avoid touching my dolly face-ups as much as possible although I have occasionally lightly touched them when having difficulty getting the head on or off and there have been no problems. If the face-up has been sealed adequately then lightly touching the face-up shouldn't damage it.

11. I haven't had a faceup done for my boy yet, but I know with my friends dolls she tries not to touch the face too much in case the faceup comes off or gets damaged, but she doesn't seem to mind them being touched where there isn't too much paint. I think I would probably be the same just not touch any of the heavily painted parts of anything that could be easily damaged. He has giant ears too so I would probably move his head into positions with them mostly haha~

12. I don't normally touch the face ups of my dolls unless I'm removing a speck of dust or hair out of the way. Sometimes I will use gloves. When posing I will move their heads by holding on to their ears. I try to avoid touching their faces as much as possible. Scared my cousin the other day when she tried to move my girl's bangs off her face :sweat She made me feel pretty bad even though she understood why I did it.

13. I don't touch the face on purpose. I almost always end up touching the face when I change wigs and eyes though. So far I haven't had any problems.

14. I would never ever touch someone else's doll's face on purpose, but I'm very relaxed about my own. I do try to be delicate when I'm moving their heads around or putting on wigs but sometimes I just kind of want to touch my dolls' faces. I'm a pretty tactile person and sometimes I can't help but touch. They're mine though, I've painted them myself and their faceups have held up very well to me being touchy feely. I do wash my hands if I'm going to touch my dolls though.

15. I'm very very strict about not touching my dolls' faces. I don't do my own faceups so I would really like to make sure the ones I have will last. That being said, you bet I put my grubby little mitts all over my blank heads and I especially adore booping their noses. Somehow it's just so satisfying. :sweat Gotta make the most of it while I can!

16. I don't touch faces either, be they my own dolls or someone else's. I do my own faceups and I know they take time to do and I wouldn't want to ruin someone else's. I have friends who are very rough with their dolls and touch faces without regard, even when it comes to my dolls and they have suffered for it as well. It's really frustrating... I usually move a doll's head using the sides of their heads, their temples, their ears, underneath their chins or the line of the wig cap that sits on their foreheads.

17. I do my best not to touch my boys face, moving his head by holding on to the back/top. He's got a factory face-up and it's part of what really drew me to him, I would be devastated if it got damaged. That being said, resisting the urge to stroke/touch his pretty face is so hard, I just love him so much!
      As for other's dolls, I feel uncomfortable even holding them. If mine is so precious to me, it would be the worst to accidentally cause damage to someone else's doll.

18. I try my best to avoid touching their face cause I would like to maintain their faceup as long as possible.
      For my own dolls, I do touch it sometimes to dust off stubborn particles but I would make sure my hands are dry first.
      When posing, I generally move the head by holding the sides/ears, chin, temples.

With someone else's dolls, I just avoid touching their face/faceup entirely.

19. Nope nope nope. To pose a head I pinch hard at the temples overtop the wig. It’s not worth it. I like to keep my dolls out where I can handle them and I don’t need a layer of grubby finger oils acting like a dust magnet. My oldest face up is 10 years old and may have slightly faded pigments and a hint of shine at the nose from travel abrasion, but is otherwise still beautiful and that is no accident. I do my own face ups and handle my dolls plenty. But I’m also busy and don’t like to make more work for myself than necessary, so the faces are a no-go zone.

20. I touch their faces as little as possible. Just to put on wigs and remove dust.