1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ordering Clothes Before Ordering your Doll?

Jul 2, 2010

1. Personally I make my own clothes after the doll arrives, but I make sure that I have eyes and a wig waiting. Half the time the wig doesn't fit if it's from another company, though: (a good example is my Crobi Gillian, who's stats say he wears a 9/10 wig, but his head is actually just barely 9 inches and the 9/10 wig I got him is too big!) Also, so I don't have a naked boy lounging around, I'll order a pair of underwear, socks, and basic shoes from the company I buy him from, that way I know they'll fit. Even though dolls in the same sizing group can have similar measurements, the clothes fit can be very different. (another example: I had all my SSDF's measurements, but when he arrived found that he was... well... rather well endowed and so needed more room in the crotch than my other boy who has the same size hips and thighs.)

2. This is really excellent advice for another reason, too: if you get another doll around the same size in the future, more neutral clothing can be used for them upon arrival, too. I have a bunch of simple, basic pieces that can be used by a number of my dolls for this reason, actually.

Plus some of those pieces work for anything -- have a great top and no bottoms, those basic jeans or black stretch leggings suddenly become even more amazingly useful, even as just a 'background' wardrobe item.

Dollmore has a pretty broad selection of super basic items in a wide variety of sizes, so it might be worth checking there. They do a lot of knit pieces that I've had good luck fitting to a number of my dolls.

3. I always sew some sort of clothes for my dolls before they arrive - A good option is always a sock hoodie (Both stretchy *and* acceptable if it's a bit baggy) and jogging bottoms (Elasticated waist and they can be shortened easily). Or, if I'm feeling more elaborate, a juban and kimono. They're both wrap-around, with mid-arm-length sleeves, and can be folded up under the obi to change the length. And nothing says "I was prepared" like having your doll dressed in kitsuke the day she arrives!

4. Well, I've had my two boys for a few days each, and one has underwear and the other is still naked. I wish they had SOMETHING else so I could take some picture of them for my avatar, but no, they are both nudie patootie. I'm glad one of my boys at least has underwear. I would recommend you buy something cheap and overshoot as far as size goes, which is what my girlfriend did for her doll and now she has clothes. At least buy them some undies! Underwear is at least stretchy and will be very likely to cover them up.

It will only do you good, however, to find out all the measurements of your doll and keep it handy when browsing the internet. If you know about your character, you might as well buy some cheaper clothes before the doll arrives.

5. Is this your first doll? Then I would recommend you buy at least one set of clothes with your doll, if you're buying from a company that also sells clothes, etc.

I wouldn't recommend before, in case you change your mind and end up with clothes that were made for a different size and now they don't fit. It's happened to me a lot, with other stuff not doll-related. But, I'm very indecisive. ^_^;

I wouldn't recommend after either. As someone who bought my first doll without a single piece of clothing, I can honestly say I was very disappointed for those few days/weeks. Especially regarding my first plan, I was also dismayed to realize I can't sew worth a damn. :doh

Good luck, and happy shopping! : D

6. Cause it just seems so weird..
      What is my grandma visits me, go's up my room and sees a naked doll.. with a weewee.. o.O?

That's one of the reasons I want clothes :P

7. @Kornishealthy

Yeah he will be my very first doll :P
      But I think I kinda know what kinda style he's going to wear

;3

8. I ordered my first doll, then bought wigs, shoes, clothes galore ( I made sure they were the right size).
      When I received my doll it made it all the more fun to dress her up immediately - so I would say go for it!!

9. My first doll arrived when I had no clothes for him--and I'd wished I'd gotten some! Luckily, I had friends around for the opening and they had some extra clothes and wigs he could wear for some photos.

I knew the size of my doll, so I could have had clothes, but I wasn't prepared. My second doll arrived before I was prepared, also.

I like it better to have something for my dolls to wear when they arrive. It's actually been a huge relief when I got a full-set and could dress them up right away!!!

So--basically--it depends on YOU. Do you have a good outfit in mind already? I wouldn't just buy ANYTHING, because even cheap stuff cost money. But clothes if you really like them for your doll. If you don't like them, then maybe you'll use them once for the Box Opening photos and that's it--which is a waste of time buying and money spent. Of course, you can always sell clothes on the marketplace if you don't want them, but not always for the full price you paid... but it can still help get money back for things you really would like.

10. I always buy some basic clothes, eyes and wig beforehand, or if the company offer stuff to the particular sculpt and I like what they have, I almost always buy something. I wouldn´t want the doll to be nude, because I think it´s embarrassing even for a doll... ;)

11. Speaking as someone who has 3 dolls, only one of which is wearing clothes, I'd say definitely. Wrong clothes are better than no clothes. What I did for my first doll (which was pretty clever) was to order some PJs and a dressing gown until I'd figured out what type of clothes to get for her. I'd definitely recommend it.

12. Well thats quite normal I think. I even have bought outfits for girl before I decided to buy my first girl haha~Just because that outfit was so cute~

13. I got clothes for my SD boy before I got him. He was my first SD, so when I got his pants and things in I was like "O.O He's huge!!"

14. Thats what I did for my U-i, still waiting for her to ship. But I didnt like her default outfit, so I picked out 2 others from DoD for her to wear.

15. Personally, since I only have one BJD, I have not. I may in the future though. I understand why people do though. If I did, it would really help kinda ease the eagerness for the doll to come.

16. Personally, I'd never do it. Just in case things turned out totally different than what I had thought. I hear a lot of people say that, just because it says SD or MSD, it doesn't mean there's a standard size for all dolls classified as such. Plus, you may have a total change of what you want your doll to dress like. When I get my doll, I'd get one standard outfit that isn't super special so they're not nude all over the place. But I'd work my way from there.

17. First doll, that's great! So exciting. Well, they're all exciting, but the first one gives the most jitters, I think. :P

eta: Doll weewee! *snorts*

18. Well, you wouldn't them sitting around naked, lol. i have JUST enough money to buy her wig, so i am making clothes while i am saving up my money .... it helps my patience and helps with my doll clothes making abilites...

19. I would check the measurements beforehand. It's better to have something that fits than an outfit you won't have any use for.

I usually order clothes with the doll itself so I know it will fit. However, I'm learning to just wait so I can have what I really want commissioned and not waste money.

20. Well, since I make all my boys' clothes, I can make the clothes before they get here. But even if I didn't, I probably wouldn't buy their clothes beforehand. Just like, with the head I just ordered, I'm not going to buy his eyes/wig until after he gets here. I don't reallly see why you'd buy stuff for a doll without actually having bought the doll first. I would at least buy the doll so that I know there's no problem with the money, and then start collecting stuff for it.