1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ordering Clothes Before Ordering your Doll?

Jul 2, 2010

1. I like to look around and have an idea of what types of clothing I'd like for a doll before getting it, but I wouldn't actively order the clothes until I order the doll, because I could always end up changing my mind about the doll or it selling out or something. If the clothes sell out I'd just find something else, then.

2. I like to order at least one outfit before a new doll arrives so that they're not naked (if they come in a different size than I have), but anything more is a bad idea for me! I can only come up with small ideas for a personality before a doll comes, so I can't tell for certain if a certain outfit will ''Fit'' a doll until I actually have them!

For example I ordered Elda a Lolita outfit and a white, sheer sundress the same day that I ordered her and when I finally got to try the pieces on her, they didn't fit her personality at all! The dress was too modern and the Lolita set was just, not her. She had to wear a big sweater until I got her something more fitting!

3. I would say no. Sometimes, you get smitten with clothing and then problems arise when the doll comes. When worst comes to worst, you might not end up getting the doll so in the end you won't have a use for the clothing you bought. ;(

4. Maybe some dollie underwear with elastic for the arrival?

5. I got some clothes for my latest doll before she arrived, the fit is good as I had checked but I'm planning to change her style.

6. I always order a doll first, and then order one outfit so when the doll comes it doesn't have to be naked.
      But I like to wonder about outfits that would fit dolls in my wishlist and keep an eye on them in case I have the chance to buy the doll xD

7. I ordered some of mine with the company's own clothing, so it should fit well with their specific body type. But with companies that don't have the clothing I want, I'd wait for the doll to arrive first before buying clothing from other sources.

But I think you can do it in whatever order you want to be honest. It's just more risky to have the clothing arrive way earlier, and not being able to try them on the actual doll. By the time the doll arrives, if the clothing doesn't fit even though you ordered the correct size, it will be too late to contact the clothing company about it.

8. I ordered clothes along with my doll and the only thing I was worried wouldn't fit were the pants. They actually fit quite well and I really like them. The one thing I did do before I had my doll that I wouldn't do again was commission an outfit with just the basic measurements from the company site. I was fortunate the doll got here before the outfit was made because I doubt it would have fit correctly without the additional measurements I was asked to supply. The nice part is I have every measurement needed for any future commissions.

9. It also depends on whether the clothes are made for your particular doll, or another company's doll in the same size. I'm waiting on a Soom Teenie Gem, and I'm too nervous to sew many of my Littlefee patterns before she arrives because I know they'll be a bit sort in the torso (but not HOW short). YoSD-specific patterns are few and far between, but aside from a slightly more protruding butt, YoSD's are just the right size. (Can you tell I've become obsessed with finding JUST the right patterns?)

On the plus side, since I'm sewing and knitting outfits instead of buying them, I can always sell off the extras to people whose dolls they WILL fit.

10. I usually order my doll and while I'm waiting for them to arrive I shop around for items that will be his or hers when they arrive. I've yet to bond with a doll that I didn't buy items for before their arrival. It actually turned into a silly superstition now at our home, I have to purchase atleast one item to offer to the doll when they arrive or a terrible non-bonding curse will strike.

In all seriousness...only buy items if you are sure you are purchasing the doll and if you're sure about the style he or she will be wearing. Be cautious and only buy items that are confirmed to fit the doll or you might be in for a nasty surprise.

11. I'd buy something for them before they arrive, there's nothing worse than having a naked doll lying around until their clothes get there too. If anything happens such as your clothing order getting lost, you'll have to wait even longer to re-order the items to finally clothe your doll with.

12. My first doll arrived before I bought any new clothes for him and he was just in secondhand stuff from my gf for a while...

I've ordered a doll chateau Lance but because his body is all weirdly proportioned, I've bought lots of fabric and tiny buttons to make his own outfit when he finally arrives! Old fashioned nightgown, here we come! :D

13. I bought my doll first, but I did actually really get into it once I saw some clothing on Etsy. I almost bought the wrong clothes for my doll to because I had no idea what MSD or SD or YOSD meant! XD

14. I always buy at least one outfit before a new doll arrives. I don't want to display them naked and they all have different styles, so I prefer if they don't have to borrow something.

15. The longer the wait for the doll, the more stuff for the doll I end up bringing home. Something about the anticipation in the waiting that makes me lose willpower and I just manage to amass stuff....LOL!

16. My parents think it doesn't make sense to buy clothes and accessories for a doll until i ACTUALLY have it....however I think its a good idea to order clothes for your doll as your waiting or when you order the doll ^-^

17. I have a doll or order right now, and this is the first time I've started buying things for her before she arrives. I know her size, as I saved a copy of the size chart from her order page, so I know all her measurements. I make sure the clothes and shoes will fit before I order anything. I also know what my doll's character will be this time. I usually don't have a personality or character in mind this early.

18. I wouldn't buy things for a doll until it was actually on order or layaway. Too much chance that I might change my mind. Plus what you said about saving money for the actual doll makes total sense.

On the flip side, I have decided to buy a doll because I had clothes and shoes that would fit him. I made an extra outfit and bough extra shoes for my doll Genesis, and then decided that I loved the extra outfit so much that I wanted an entire new doll to wear the outfit. So now I have future plans to buy a doll based on an outfit I already have. Crazy, eh? LOL

19. I order things that everybody can wear and then maybe a few pieces for them that might fit their character.

20. If I buy clothes before the doll, I would buy the basic stuff only (white shirt, black pants) because without having the doll first I won't know the personality and the personality often chooses the clothes to complete the right style.

If someone makes the character before buying the doll then buying clothes first sounds right but I never create my characters first, I let the doll tell me who they are and they need to be in my hands for that to happen.