1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Others holding your dolls - HOW TO POLITELY SAY NO

Jun 21, 2010

1. Thank's so much for the idea of saying 'no' . I got unopleasant experience with a person in my dollmeet.
      She didn't touch my doll but she tried to demonstrate a necklace using velvet robe which the fraction of velvet sprinkles on the head and neck of my doll.
      I was dropped jaw and couldn't say anything...too shock...she also picked a inappropriate place for dollmeet just bcs cheap food. I thought we were going to move after she had 'cheap price' lunch but apparently not.
      The place was also a little bit exposed with sun (and it's asia...duh?)...I was too shock that I couldn't say anything
      She treated my baby with no respect. I don't want to hv dollmeet with just with her again.
      She doesn't hv a doll so far I know...I don't think I want to meet her again even if she has one already. I ignore her now, too...

2. Ugh, I have had an awful experience with other people handeling my dolls
      Once I made a dress for my doll for a school project and brought it to school. Everyone wanted to hold him (yes him) so I let him go around the room, but I told everyone to be careful.
      Next thing I new, a girl in my class was holding him upside down and his legs came unstrung and he flopped to the floor. Automayically I yelled 'what did you do?!' as I ran over to collect his leg parts.
      Thankfully, in the end, he was fine and the girl in my class was extremely apologetic, but now I really don't like to let others hold my dolls unless they are doll collectors too or close friends who understand how much my dolls mean to me.

3. I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but I'm going to say it anyway.
      Do NOT tell someone the price of your doll. That is the perfect opportunity for someone to go "OH RLLY?" And snatch it out of your hands and run.
      If you are going to say the price, follow up with "And don't even think about taking it because you won't know where to re-sell it". Or something of that nature.

I usually don't have a problem with someone holding my doll at a convention if we're in an enclosed area and I tell them a few things first. 1. It's fragile, be gently. 2. DO NOT touch it's face, or I WILL smack you with *insert cosplay prop here* 3. If you try and run, so help me God, I will rip the bones out of your legs so they're like noodles and you'll never walk again...*SMILES*

If that doesn't really freak them out and make them be careful, I don't really know what will. ^_^;

4. Well personally I feel the same way about ppl holding my girls, but I don't venture out with them much anymore so its less of a problem for me.

I think that you can say what you planned on saying if you are most comfrotable with that, I would also recommend saying " 'Alice' is very special to me so you can look at her but please don't touch." Or something like that. I think that as long as you don't freak out on someone then I think they will be more then understanding. I often times have to tell ppl not to touch my girl's faces, I don't get what they do that but they do.

5. i know that a meet-up i was at when i first joined the hobby some years ago, and a woman came up with her kids, and started asking about the dolls....one of the girls let the woman hold her doll, and the woman accidentally dropped the doll on the floor...from standing height....
      The doll was not damaged, but i took that as a lesson learned. I don't let just anyone hold my dolls. I explain that they are very expensive, and that i just wouldn't be comfortable with it. Usually people are fine with that. Haven't had a problem yet.

6. I'd probably stick with the approach of "I'm sorry, but she fragile, and I don't feel comfortable with people I don't know handling her."

7. I think parents of newborn babies face this same problem....

I would just say "I don't let people hold her".
      so that way they dont feel target

8. I usually say: display only, please do not handle. Or, sorry, but she is not for playing with. If a person really wants to have a hold, I ask them to put on cotton gloves. I put things away, or out of reach from little hands that don't understand.

9. I would stick to "I'm sorry not right now, thank you though".

10. I guess I just wouldn't bring a doll to a venue like that ^^;;... I'd get annoyed by all the curious people.

11. Just say no thanks in a polite but firm tone. No need to go on about how expensive and special and dear your doll is. A simple no is all you need. If the person persists and is creepy about it, try your best to ignore them and move away. People at cons can get a little weird with cosplayers- touching and taking pics without permission and stuff. So practice saying a no nonsense, firm NO before you go; you might need it more for you than your doll!

12. I think people with other bjds would understand if you just said, "Please don't touch".
      I think they should ask first also. I think just walking up and holding another doll is kinda rude.

13. This would be my response. :)

14. I have a spare pair of cotton glove with the dolls so if someone insists they can hold them. However no face touching Period

15. I would just say 'no, it's fragile and breaks easily when handled.'

If you are showing the doll to someone (you holding, them looking) remind them to not touch the face. To non bjd people it is not obvious the paint could be damaged and they probably have no idea it's a bad thing to touch the face.

16. Well, I'd just flat out say "No." But, you could say "Sorry, no. My doll is extremely fragile." or some stuff like that.

17. I'd just say "No, please don't" in a polite and firm way.
      If they keep insisting I'll just walk away, or tell them that I spend a lot of money on him and he's very fragile.

18. I would typically refuse to let someone hold my doll if I could see that they didn't exactly know what it was they were dealing with, and I would politely tell them: "I'm sorry, but he is very fragile, and I am not comfortable with others touching or holding him."

19. I usually am pretty okay with people holding my dolls but if i see someone who just wants to joke around or might, for whatever reason, not be careful with them I'd decline by saying "please no, i'm not comfortable with others handling him because he's fragile" or something to that extent? I think that's the easiest thing to say really.

20. I love both of these and would probably use them. They're funny and I think people would enjoy that.