1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Our dolls shopping vs. our own

Mar 30, 2008

1. I wouldn't say that I live vicariously through Allison. Sure, if she were real, we would be about the same size, but she would be so smiley all. the. time. And yeah, she gets some cute clothes that on normal humans, you would go, "Oh, no, honey, you should NOT be wearing that today." I tend to shop and look at doll clothes more because I don't feel the need to buy clothing for myself. I'm the traditional wear jeans and a t-shirt kind of girl, so that's what I wear almost every day of my life. This would, of course, make Allison more fashionable than I am and much for girly for that matter since she's going to be the one wearing dresses and skirts all the time. If I had an unlimited amount of money for myself, I would do a wardrobe change completely. But I don't, so I stick to clothing my doll instead.

2. Yes, I admit that I clothe my dolls in a way that I would like for myself if I looked more like them. But I'm not skimping on my own clothes for them, I just don't feel the need to buy myself new things all the time. And really, I do have far more clothing than they do anyway. I have more shoes, and more outfits, because I have collected them over a longer period of time. Maybe in time they will have more, but since they don't change clothes every day, still probably not as much as me :kitty2

3. This year I spent more money on my dolls than on myself, for sure.
      Still I have a nice full wardrobe and really felt no need to buy more for me. Although I bought a nice dress.
      Thing is, my boys specialy seem to be lacking some nice clothes so I'm looking for them.

4. i've spent too much money of myself in the past, as a matter of fact i have a large closet full of clothes that i don't even wear, i had decided even before i started this hobby that i would stop buying clothes and such for me. i was bored, right now is not like i need to get anything for myself, so lately i've been spending on my doll what i would have spent on myself

5. well, buying clothes haven been always a headache for me,its difficult to find clothes that fit me, and what fits me and i like is usually quite expensive. so most of the time i wear whatever i find that fits, so i have never been able to build a specific style or look for me, as i would do with my dolls.
      buying doll clothes could be quite the same, but i have developed my sewing skills quite enough to be able to make clothes that will fit their personalities really well, so that makes things easier.
      most of my dolls are girls, so i cant say i would like to dress like that, my brothers jokes saying ill probably dress my kids one day the same way i dress my dolls, would love too!, and then he ask if i would have liked being dressed as i dress my dolls when i was i kid, i think i probably would have complained XD

6. I have a particular style that I like to wear (vintage/retro) and that woulddn't change if I had a doll body (except maybe slightly shorter skirts). But it's definitely far easier to get clothes for dolls than my clothes. For a start I live in NZ where availability of "petite" clothes is scarce at best so there's that problem. Then doll clothes aren't as mass produced as human clothes are and mass production makes the products lower quality and it's difficult to get fitting clothes. As well as that human clothes are majorly affected by trends which can be a pain if you don't feel the need to wear what other people do.

But I do tend to dress vicariously through them (in my head for now) because they can buy and wear anything and I just can't. I also look at doll clothes more but that's mostly because I don't have to go out to do it, I don't have my first doll yet so I can't spend money and it's easier to look at doll clothes and tell how they'll look on a doll than it is to look at real clothes and know how it'll look on me without trying it on.

7. It's nice that Dolls can wear anything. But I don't live through my dolls.

If there's anything you really want to wear, you can always custom-order it through a tailor. Expensive, yes, but so are dolls =P .

8. you mentioned that instead of buying nice clothes for yourself, they buy them for your dolls... As far as I have seen, doll clothes can cost MORE than human clothes

9. Personally, I would never prioritize buying doll clothes over my own.

Dolls can wear the same clothes all day, while we can't wear the same shirt to school everyday.

It's true that doll clothes can cost more than human clothes, but that's more because they're niche and not because the materials/workmanship is better. A nice silk shirt can cost much more than most Dollfie outfit.

10. I much prefer to shop for my dolls. It's SO much easier! Most of my dolls are standard generic SD size, so it's pretty simple to just get anything for them. The only issues are that my AoD boy and girls are rather well endowed, which is sometimes an issue, and my IMPLdoll boy is so tiny, most clothes are big. My Yo-SD Asleep Eidolon is 30cm and very chunky, so he needs stuff handmade usually. It's still not THAT bad.

For me....I'm that weird size where junior clothing is too small or straight up and down, ladies shirts are too short and small in the top and the waists and hips are too narrow, and plus size arm holes and thighs are too big, waists are too tall, busts are too small when the rest of it fits....it's such a pain and completely discouraging and after a day of clothes shopping, I'm usually in tears. I hate it. Dolls are so much more exciting and fun to shop for.

If I were built like my boys, I'm sure I'd have an entire wardrobe of sexy clothes! But I'm not...so I just enjoy them instead.

11. Its true , my doll gets more stuff than i do. But.... I am very picky w my things anyway. LOL

12. I definitely buy more clothes for my dolls than me. I wear all black and heavy accessories. I just hate thinking about it. I'm just too lazy to have a ton of options and try to put together something that matches. It's way more fun just to put cutesy things on my dolls! :)

13. I suppose my dolls have more options for what I can buy them, as fit isn't an issue (they're pretty standard sizes, I guess odder sizes would be more difficult). But though I like looking those things, I actually haven't bought much yet... I feel too guilty about spending so much for tiny clothes. I do think, though, that at least Flea's style is sort of how I would dress my child... I think if I had/ when I get and older female doll, she might end up wearing what I would wear if it looked good on me and nobody was judging. Obviously, I wouldn't put a style on my doll that I didn't like, so I don't think that's irrational.

14. hrm, My dolls and i have hard to fit bodies. I am an amazon type- tall and thick, but not chunky. I prefer for all stated to get 2 pieces, its easier.

15. Hmmm... well... a few months back I'd have readily replied that my dolls' shopping > my own. However I really like the inbetween solution.

Yes, I'm always excited to get things for my dolls but it made me immesurably happy when my grandmother surprised me the other day and bought for me the loveliest sweater I had said i loved I don't even remember how long ago. That being said. I love shopping for myself just as much and no, I don't have a perfect figure on top of being on a diet which means what fit me yesterday won't tomorrow (half of my wardrobe is already being retouched by my own hand so it will sit on me as I lose weight) and I'm also quite short so the length of most things needs to be shortenned by hand again before I can wear it, but that doesn't mean I don't have to look good or that I should neglect my own shopping in favour of my dolls'.

16. I do buy more stuff for my doll than do for myself, anytime i get a smig of money i immediately buy her something new >,<
      but i don't live through her, i dress her in the same crazy fantasy/lolita/urban clothes i would wear in real life
      ...totally different story for my boy doll that i plan on getting lol ^///^

17. does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      maybe, I dress her how I would like to dress (if I could afford to, which I can't so she does)
      does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself?
      it's easier to find her clothes that I like and they are more affordable/don't get dirty/wear out as soon as my clothes would so that's why I shop more for her than for me
      does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?

I guess so, but if I had all the money in the world then I would dress like her too
      would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?

no, I would dress differently if I could afford to dress myself like my doll