1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Our dolls shopping vs. our own

Mar 30, 2008

1. Yep. I'm another one that dresses my dolls in a way I would never dress. My female tends to wear skirts and cute tops and I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinda gal all the way. Not to mention, I'm a squishy girl. ;)

If I had a body like my dolls, then I still think I'd be in jeans and t-shirts. It's just what I've always been comfortable in.

2. Interesting question...

If I had a body like my doll (who will be arriving soon...) would I dress differently? Maybe, I would put on a fancy piece during special occasions - otherwise, I'll probably dress up the same way.
      Although, most of the pics I've seen here are of dolls wearing street-safe and normal looking clothes :)

BTW, I am lightyears away from having a body like these dolls XD Although, I have cosplayed as Tender Shall on a couple of conventions. ^__^

3. Personally I have a hard time imagining myself paying more for my doll's clothing than my own. If the doll was life sized, maybe I could my way around it. But for now, while I wait for my first doll, I can see myself sewing her clothes over buying them.

I don't think I'll live through my doll, though. I wear weirdo clothing as it is so I can only see my doll reflecting what I wear instead of wishing I could wear her clothes.

4. Oh I definitely live vicariously fashion wise thru my dolls! I'm old, fat & far more into comfort than style for myself these days but I've always loved clothes, especially historically inspired styles, & I can indulge that completely thru the dolls. They've also taken over my shoe fetish. When I was young & had good feet, I owned dozens of unusual shoes & boots & ruined my feet forever by wearing them. Now the dolls get them but I don't have to worry about them getting heel spurs.

And yes, I shop much more for my dolls than myself. My life is simple & I don't need much beyond jeans, sweats, a few skirts & nice tops so I'll usually do 2 shopping trips a year for myself during clearance sale time & restock what I need. The dolls get new stuff almost every week it seems.

Fashion forward? Not really as my taste in doll clothes runs to vintage & fantasy inspired designs. They have their share of minis & such but I find they don't wear them much. And the boys are off in EGA land, not a look I've ever seen in person around here. (We were the old school punk/goths back in the day.)

Even if I had the perfect body, at my age I probably wouldn't dress much differently. I've been thru it all the first time around, minis, cropped tops, glam rock, goth/punk, beads, bellbottoms, camo, leather, etc & feel no need to relive those looks. They were fun, young & truthfully, a lot of work to keep up. So give this old lady comfy, lounging clothes & I'm happy. (Though I wouldn't mind pulling out the Sak's 5th Ave long leather skirt, Victorian lace covered bodice, cropped leather riding jacket, lace gloves, high heeled Victorian style boots & top hat once more...)

5. Being the advanced age I am right now I know I would never wear even a small percentage of what I get my girl, would love to at least be able to look sexy in a dress, but I can face the fact that ship sailed long ago. But shopping for clothes for me has been esp the last 10 years pretty basic, get what is comfortable, warm, cool whatever the weather and my body could use. But my lone girl is very spoiled with stuff I could wear, T-shirts and hoodies and jeans to what I wouldn't dare wear, sexy leggings in wild prints, boots in loud colors, and recently a top that is kind of sheer and she doesn't wear a bra or panties, shameless. LOL But she is my alter ego, that piece of me in spirit that is loud, proud and sexy in any thing!

6. In a way I live vicariously through my dolls, in that I dress some of my girls in things that I would never dream of wearing in public. I have a fairly decent figure, and could pull off most of the looks I like for my dolls . . . but in our society, there are some things you just can't wear nomally, like frilly lolita dresses and medieval gowns. ;) So my girls have a style I wish I could wear, but they aren't exactly "fashionable". Shopping for my girls isn't always easy (SD girls are chunky for BJD's, lol), but it is still WAY easier then shopping for my short curvy little self. xD My girls may get more "fun" clothes, but I probably get clothes for myself more often. Doll clothes don't wear out, and I only have so much room!

I admit that one of the biggest appeals of BJD's is that they aren't so skinny like models are, or at least not all of them are. Honestly, Barbie and Tyler type dolls rub me the wrong way and sometimes make me feel like a rather large bovine animal. :lol: Some BJD's are a little too "supermodel-like" for me to really like as well, but my SD girls have nice figures that don't aren't too unrealistic. No tiny waists and push-up bra boobs on them!

7. i'd dress differant if i could find more clothes i liked, or enjoyed public shopping, i only enjoy shopping online. and even then, im not too bothered how i look. my dolls have personalitys and i love to express that (and all the clothes are so cute!) my personality is i dont care how i look really, so, yeah XD

exactly. id love it if i could wear lolita dresses but like...its not worth the stick. so i just..buy them and dont really wear them ^^;

8. Yeah, it sure is fun to shop clothes to your doll, but the wallet sais other. >_>
      I'm on a budget since I'm not made of money and I'm reeeaaally cheap. XD
      And, to be honest, some dollsclothes are bit to expensive, I understand that they cost that much because they are handmade and someone else gave up their time for it and blabla! But seriously, some of the dollsclothes costs more than what I'll ever spend on myself, and I simply think it's ridiculous sometimes-
      So that's why I make my own dollclothes. I only buy shoes and wigs. >_>

9. I've never found shopping for clothes particularly fun, so to ramp up the interest factor I tend to shop in charity shops nowadays for myself. As a result, I often end up picking up clothes which will never fit me, deciding that I like the fabric, and buying it to pare down into doll clothes. My boy's wardrobe is getting increasingly eccentric!

10. Maybe it has to do with scale a lot of the doll clothes that are costly have very intricate things done with them and working in a smaller space is much harder than working in something that is bigger.

11. I dress my dolls in stuff I would never wear and on the same hand that I do wear. I make about 90% of my own clothes and about 70% percent of my dolls clothes.

But lately I have been buying more for my dolls then myself.

12. First of all, this about my planned girls, seeing as my current girl is 4 inches tall. :)

Do you live vicariously through your doll? Yes.

Do you shop for your doll more than for yourself? I wont, I really like to shop for me :lol:

Is your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself? I considder myself pretty fashion aware, but I cant dress in most of the fashions because I'm not a toothpick. So in a way yes.

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll? Yes.

13. As a skinny teenage girl at an arts high school, I find I dress as interestingly, if not more interestingly in some cases, than my dolls. I change my hair more often than them too. I am no vicarious being when it comes to fashion! I buy more clothes for me than my dolls. XD

14. My dolls are harder to dress than I am!!!!! My MSD is very slim...my Baha has a butt...and my So-Ji also has a rear :) It's not easy my friend :) My PpoPpo will be the easiest by far.

15. All the clothes I'm considering for my future girls I could wear myself (normally I wear jeans + fitted t-shirts or v-necks with camis underneath and in warm weather I love minis + leggings). Some things (like lolita dresses) I wouldn't wear on a day to day basis, but once I make my dress for an upcoming convention I might wear it out a few times for the fun of it. But really, this is all because I'm 16 and fairly thin. And most of the styles I like are related to Japanese street fashion (or US fashion, even), and a sixteen year old wearing stuff like that wouldn't look too odd. And sadly my dolls will probably never have a wardrobe like my own. I can't (or at least I can't yet) justify spending more money on doll clothes than clothes for me. I like clothes >.<

16. Wow. Now that i think about it, i spend more money on doll parts and accessories than myself 6___6; i practically go clothes shopping only once every 4 or so months... X___X omggg... If i have a body like my doll?... eerrr my dolls are all guys lol so err no even to the thought of that lol since i am i girl. I think i should tone down and spend more on myself now, since i'm starting to take more interest in korean fashion =3=;

17. I admit, Im planning to spend about 50$ on my dolls clothes when she arrives and I wont spend more than 8$ on any of mine (No really AZ mills has the best sale racks, so why buy anything else?)
      Lucky for me I lost over 40 pounds and I fit in mostly everything just fine now but I remember how it was before, I still had no trouble finding cheap clothes just cheap clothes that fit. For the record I did not buy additional dog clothes at that time (My iggy is my live perfect doll of beauty.)

18. I have a lot of fellow feeling for you Gwydion;)

Do you live vicariously through your doll?
      Sort of. I can make myself about anything I would care to wear. I'm currently working on a brocade ball gown for myself and a matching doublet for my husband. The problem is that these are not practical everyday clothes that I could wear while working. Like Gwydion, I wore outrageous clothes when I was younger, I had a walk in closet full of funky fashions and a ton of shoes. Now, I dress differently. I need warmer clothes in the winter and cooler in the summer and rarely wear artificial fibers. I have to wear really supportive (UGLY) shoes and I have no patience for ironing anything. With my dolls, they don't have to have clothes that respond to the practical aspects of life and they don't make clothes wrinkly either (being made of plastic, they are also fine with plastic fibers :lol:)

Do you shop for your doll more than for yourself?
      No, I spend a lot of time finding/making myself beautifully made wool sweaters and loud summer pants.

Is your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?
      Yes - fashion forward clothes tend to be hard to cook in and nurse sick children in. My dolls job descriptions are to sit around, be pretty and play dressmakers dummy.

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?
      Frankly, no. My sweaters and turtlenecks and jeans might be a snugger fit, but I would still wear them because they are easy to care for and warm.
      Susan

19. I definitely shop more for my dolls than I do for myself, because it's simpler and more fun. I hate the trying-it-on part of shopping, and because dolls are mostly standard in their sizes, as hinoto said, then that part of the process is mostly bypassed. Not to mention, dolls don't get uncomfortable in clothing the way I do myself. If something is itchy, or has a tag that scratches on me, or hugs me in the wrong place, or I feel like I'm falling out of it, I don't want to wear it, cause it's not comfortable. My dolls aren't quite so picky as that... although sometimes it seems they definitely have their own opinions about their clothes, the way they fight putting certain things on by being floppy etc.

I probably DO live vicariously through my dolls a little bit, in the fact some of my dolls' characters embrace fashion styles that really are not me. But, it's almost as if I get to sample them through my dolls. So, it's fun!

I don't think I'd be any more fashion forward than I am no matter what, however. It's not my body type that keeps me out of more interesting clothing like my dolls have, it's more a matter of comfort-first, plus dislike of trying on clothes, and then of course the cost. I spend a lot more on clothes for my dolls than I do for my own clothes, but if I wanted to get people clothes of the same "specialty" quality as those I get for my dolls, I would actually have to spend a lot more.

I think doll clothes are more expensive than they ought to be, I admit, and sometimes I cringe at what I spend for these tiny clothes when I spend less on my own stuff, but on the other hand, I realize I'm a bargain-basement clothes shopper for myself, and plus you can still get a nice, say, Gothic Lolita dress for your doll a lot more cheaply than you can get one for yourself, i.e. specialty clothes for dolls may seem pricey, but that's only until you look at specialty clothes for humans.

20. I'm pretty sure that she will own more shoes than I do^^
      I like shoes, but human shoes neet so much space, so my doll will have to compensate this.
      But as I love shopping in real stores I won't order many clothes for her online.

That's my idea, but my doll hasn't arrived yet.