1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Our dolls shopping vs. our own

Mar 30, 2008

1. Buying for my doll is as hard as buying for myself. I have a Feeple body...stuff doesn't fit her off the rack well. Stuff doesn't fit me off the rack either...because...well...of my rack. Plus I have to wear like $80-$120 bras and that's for plain jane practical ones. Erugh. I prefer to sew for her though, easier to fit her than myself and I'm still learning. My style and what I like to see on my doll though are two different things and I'm hardly living though her. I like Rockabilly and I dress her...well...however I feel.

2. Funny that I was just thinking about this, too.

I definitely buy more for my doll than I do myself. It's not exactly "easy" to find him something to wear (especially with my budget!) but it's 100 times easier to buy it, put it on him, and then be generally satisfied with it. With me, however, I have an odd body shape: Big boobs, small waist, big hips; and I'm barely 5'3, so pants always drag on the ground & if I buy a size 10 in pants, they'll generally be baggy in the thighs.

... what I'm trying to say here is that it's incredibly frustrating to buy something I like for myself, so I tend to stick with what I have in my own closet & just go clothes hunting for Lucciola (my DoD Yen). Yes, I sometimes wish I had a flat chest and no hips so I could fit in the clothing I actually like (boyish stuff, gothic loli clothes; the latter is hard to wear because of where I live & the former fits me all wrong) and feel comfortable in them, but there's not much I can do, so why not splurge on my doll instead? :)

3. Hm, I think shopping for my doll is harder than shopping for me. My body shape is overall fine for me(except the chest, some tops won't fit over THAT part. >.>; ) and I'm an "alternative" clothes person, so I just wear what I want. I get laughed at and pointed at a lot but I'm not going to stop doing what makes me happy. ^_^ If people want to make fun of a girl's acid green tights, hey that's their choice.
      My doll however, is a slim mini and while the choices are expanding, the clothes the character would like to wear aren't available yet.

If I had it my way, I'd walk into a store and say "I'd like this skirt in Unoa sized too please." but that's NEVAH-GONNA-HAPPEN. :lol:

4. I'm a scrawny tomboy, so I don't like shopping for myself. I think it's boring. I can wear pretty much anything. As for my soon-to-arrive doll, he's going to dress just as I would if I was a boy. I've bought a few things for him already, but I plan to make everything else myself.

5. I would rather make my dolls look nice - I dress the girls in things I wouldn't be caught dead in but find attractive. I get a little jealous because my DoT girl currently has a pair of pants that fit her like a dream... while I am stuck trying to find real-life pants that are actually made for people with small waists and larger hips. We both have similar hip-to-waist ratio but she's the one with the nice-fitting pants!

6. i would have dress differently if i have a body like my doll...but it only in my dream...but it fun if your going shoping and trying thing on to see if you really fit it is fun..but it not fun after two to three hrs. but if i really want to dress like my doll i would go look for something similiar or make it..lol and i would definately look for more doll clothe because it so fashionable and interesting to look.

7. This is a very interesting topic.

I belong to several 3D art communities and the same topic appears in the forums on a regular basis. And in general, Vickie has a fabulous wardrobe, and her owners do with out ;)

My BJD's are all boys, and I can finally live out my fantasy of having gorgeous males who dress like manga characters. With NO complaining on their part. Bring on the boas!! And the leather hot pants!! And the fur coats!! So yes, my dolls are going to be dressed a lot better than me. But then, they are alot younger and better looking than I am too.

8. *shrugs* I recently decided to become a full-time loli, so for money's sake, I'm making all of my and my dolls' clothes except shoes. I've never had problems with sizing, and should have even less now. Sewing is a wonderful thing <3

9. Do I live vicariously through my dolls--some--when it comes to fashion. I'm an older collector and I no longer have the body of a 20 something, and I'm at peace with that.

I adore fashion and costume design--high fashion and period costume. I used to wear so much fun stuff that would just look silly on me now. It's so much fun to create the costumes and dress up my dolls. And I can go anywhere with that--fashion, period styles, goth, mystical-fantasy--the options are endless. Maybe a little is vicarious, what I would wear if I were younger, but mostly it's my creative outlet--it always has been--to sew for my girls and my dolls.

I spend money on wigs and shoes, and stuff I don't want to make, like maybe a man's tailored suit. I still shop for me, I like to look pulled together and well groomed, but it's so much more fun to shop for my dolls and my (real) kids. That's natural though, I think as we get older.

10. Nope. While my dolls do have a fabulous wardrobe, I'm never going to put an inanimate object before myself. :) My wardrobe is always going to be even more fabulous and well-tailored than that of my dolls, no matter how hard I am to fit.

11. Sure I live vicariously through my dolls. I'm a teacher and if I ever showed up to school in some of the wigs and outfits I put my resin beauties in, I'd be fired!!

Would I dress the same if I could or had their body? Hmm I probably wouldn't get the face tattoos I have on some. And I don't know think I'd wear the crinoline - gets in the way. Some things I would and some I wouldn't.

12. Urm. I do all my shopping at Primark (british clothing chain that's known for being amazingly cheap) so my dolls clothes end up costing about twice what I'd pay for myself.

ie: Yesterday I bought myself a really cute shirt that cost me about $4-$5
      Yesterday I bought my DOLL a pair of jeans that cost $20 plus shipping.

I bought some slip on pumps for $8, then also went on eBay and bout my DOLL a pair of shoes that cos $9.

I'm not so sure my priorities are all lined up..

13. Oh, someone else who suffers the same cruel fate! I am totally hourglass shaped. If I wear those low-slung jeans I look like a muffin, but NOWHERE can I find high-waisted, well tailored jeans. It's a nightmare.

14. I haven't had my boy so long, but I enjoy making him things that I would like to wear. I personally agree with Ravendolls - I can be really perfectionist about my outfits, which follow the theme of all black: skinny jeans + same old pair of trainers + a t-shirt. it's fairly unusual to see me in anything else, but i can be really picky about what t-shirt to put on.

So: do I live vicariously through your doll?
      Perhaps slightly, because if I was a boy I think I would wear things that just make people wonder if they should comment. Right now, by doll has lace armwarmers on - if I was a guy, I would wear lace armwarmers!

Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself?
      Don't think so... At the moment, I am spending the leftover money from buying him on his clothes. I don't plan to buy another doll anytime soon and I have decided to get him some really nice, versatile things. This means that he has more money than me at the moment if we count the leftover money as "his clothes fund" and the money in my purse (without going near my savings account) as "my clothing fund". I spend MUCH more time browsing for his clothes than for my own.

Does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?
      Not really - I want to get him the kind of jeans and things I like, knowing they will suit him too. I also go into charity shops - I have a beautiful, lacy jacket that would have cost me much more than a few pounds in a loli shop - I can't do that for him, they don't do MSD sizes. I would say we're about equal, really (although I can't find myself any big heavy non-leather boots that I like as much as the ones I am buying for him).

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?
      If I was a guy I would dress in ways that surprised people. More than my girl-fashion surprises people, because even though guys can wear makeup and nailvarnish these days and not get locked up, there are still many many expectations from gender. I hate the fact that because I am a girl, people expect me to be interested in fashions, clothes, makeup, and if I was a guy they wouldn't. I was a tomboy when I was younger and generally wear guys fit Ts - if I had a big boobed girl-doll body, I think I would be horrified and dress like I do now so as not to draw attention...!

15. do you live vicariously through your doll?

hmm, i don't think so~ ^^; i mean, i would wear what he wears if i were a boy, probably. maybe ? but i just love scene kids and men in suits, so maybe i am just making him look like my ideal man, LOL. xD

do you shop for your doll more than for yourself?

yes, but i think a big part of that is because i'm lazy~ usually when i am online i browse around and i can just click the things i want for my doll. i suppose i could do the same with human clothes, but i prefer to try things on if i can ! and then comes the lazy part, so i don't. xD;;;

does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?

hmm~~ i think i have a pretty good fashion sense; so my fashion preference transfers to caleb. he'd probably argue that he is more chic than i am, but hey. xD

would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?

wellllll~~ caleb is a boy, so i don't know if that really applies. xDD LOL. i think if i were a boy i'd probably wear stuff like he does. but my body type is slim, i have average/smallish boobs, and an "apple bottom". i am just a bit lazy, so i don't have closests full of awesome styles. xD;

16. Does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      I may use him to express another side of myself, but I wouldn't say living vicariously, since I waill always be priority #1.
      I'm gonna say no, because I don't anticipate spending more than 200 on my doll's clothing, whereas thats maybe 1 outfit for me.
      Hahahaha no way! I have my own style that nobody can touch.
      Considering that my body is quite similar to the doll I want I think that we'll be dressing similar, after all, I wouldn't put anything on my doll I wouldn't wear myself.

17. Does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      i actually think i am pickier with my doll's clothes than with my own.
      i'm always looking for specific things for them and have a good idea of what i want. when shopping for myself, i just kinda pick out what i like as i come across it. Me and my dolls wear the same style of clothes so I don't really feel like I'm living through them.

I don't really shop more for them. It's probably equal, but I spend time making clothes for them so it probably tips in their favor.

Sort of... some of them are real "trendy" but others wear more traditional stuff. Also, they will wear just jeans and tshirts like me. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

All my dolls are boys, haha ^ ^;
      If I had a body like one of the GIRL dolls, maybe. I usually wear what I do because it's comfortable, not because the way it looks. I won't wear something that looks bad, but also if it looks good but it uncomfortable, i won't wear it either.

the thing i am most jealous of in terms of clothes is how good the length is on pants. I am exactly 150cm and pants never fit for me! Even the short size jeans are about 10cm too long. But I have big hips and I like to wear my jeans kinda sagging so the waist is never big enough if the legs are short enough! I can never win both.

18. I feel awkward answering this. I used to model before I decided I didn't want to, and I got tattoos. I would have gotten a job in California, had I not done that.

Through my dolls I tend to let them wear what I would design. I wanted to be a fashion designer. For some reason I just couldn't design practical clothing, so through my dolls I want to make things that I would want to wear, had I created it for myself. Graphic Tees even having different graphics than I've ever seen and such.

Do I live through my dolls: In a way, they are bits of myself or what I wish I could be.
      Do I shop more for my dolls: I do because well I have to many freaking clothes. At least theres are smaller.
      A little more forward: Yes! in so many ways.
      Dressing different: I kinda do have a body like my dolls. I'm just not as tall as my doll would be.

19. I definitely live vicariously through my doll. She has a lovely wardrobe, a beautifully-appointed 'apartment' surrounded by beautiful object d'art, a lovely body, flawless skin, and her whole life ahead of her. Why would I not?

Since I make her clothes, that isn't a cost consideration, but she does have a shoe fetish that I do not share. I have a few pairs of shoes, mostly utilitarian. Andrea has over a dozen pairs of shoes, boots, and sandals, and she still wants more. Sadly, I've spent more on a pair of shoes for her than I've spent on myself. Of course, I shop at Payless and Walmart for my shoes, so that's probably not difficult.

Is she more fashion-forward? A little, I guess. Andrea kind of falls into the 'mini me' category, so I dress her in a lot of romantic-style clothes and sharp suits. She does have better accessories and jewelry, though.

20. i dont think i spend more money on the doll than myself because when
      i look for things for my girl its normally a particular item i want for her.
      so i put money aside for it. and use money at the end of the week for going out or clothes.
      im pretty well balanced :lol: but then again buying for me and for my doll both make me happy :D