1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Our dolls shopping vs. our own

Mar 30, 2008

1. Yes, I have definitely bought more clothes for my doll lately than for myself, but that's because I already have a ridiculous amount of clothes, I don't need anymore at the moment! *_*

2. I'm one of those who can't stand buying clothes for my dolls... If I see something I -really- like, I want it for myself. And when I see something for my dolls, I look at the price.. I'm kinda cheap AFTER I've bought the dolls ^^; "Can it be made by me?" "Why does this cost SO much more than the same thing MY size?" etc. I know that dollieclothes are handmade, and that's one of the reasons they cost more.
      Anyways.. I usually buy clothes for me before I buy anything for my dolls. My own body and appearance is more important than my dolls. I love clothes too, so I buy them quite often. ^^; But the result is that my dolls "walks" around with the same clothes every day.. I hope to change that when I go to Japan. Then I can see the clothes "live" before I buy them. It's not easy to live in the middle of nowhere XD

BUT! Since I really like to design children clothes, I will sew alot for my dolls. So everybody's happy in the end. :3

3. (nods in agreement) That is one of the things I'm grateful for - that I can sew, and have a lot of experience making clothes not only for my daughter, but for numerous dolls as well.

I am fortunate in that I can look at a picture of an outfit I like, and am able to create a reasonable facsimile - with my own personal changes, of course. ^_^ The clothes I make aren't exact copies, but I'm pretty good at capturing the spirit of the design.

I also look at clothing catalogs and magazines for fashion ideas as well. Must keep my girl looking her cutting-edge best.

I also make my own jewelry, and make it for my dolls as well. That's another item I don't have to spend money on.

About the only things I can't make are shoes and furniture. Although I've made shoes for antique and antique-reproduction dolls, I don't have the know-how or the equipment to make them for Ryung. Maybe that's why she has the shoe-fetish she does.

4. Funny thing
      I consider $45.00 is expensive when I shop for myself.
      and $120 is reasonable when it came to my doll.

I guess becuz my love to my two boys, $$ isn't the issue anymore.

5. I love clothes. My doll loves clothes. We have both blown our wardrobe to pieces by stuffing. :lol: Its just as expensive to buy her clothes as it is for me. Its just a bigger guarantee that hers fit than mine. *feels like a hippo*

6. *laughs* My dolls get more clothes. I can pretty much do with 100 dollars a year for myself. I guess it's because my dolls can wear all the ridiculous leather strapped outfits I wouldn't dare wear myself XD

7. Having had the opportunity to try and sew for my boys and to try and sew for myself, I can definitely say that for me, sewing for my boys requires more skill and more patience and more creativity than it would take to make myself the same thing.

Paying $30 for the nice button-down my boy is wearing is worth it to me as I would have to spend more than $30 in materials, time, and effort to attempt to make the same thing and with less success.

For myself, I'm willing to spend more (I guess that makes me the odd one out) if I think it's worth it. Doll or me, it has to be 'worth' the price point for me to purchase it.

Cheap material and cheap presentation and cheap look == not willing to buy no matter the price.

Nice material and good quality presentation and good look == willing to buy or willing to consider buying... IF the price is right.

8. No... My wardrobe is pretty fairly sized...
      but then again so is my doll's wardrobes. haha....
      But i guess i do live through my dolls at least a bit. =)
      I guess i would wear the same if i had the body of my doll o_O
      i already wear pretty weird things

9. I love shoes - I've got shoes for everything (abt 15 pairs of evening shoes, not to mention all the other shoes...close to 100 pairs). My boys love shoes also, and I just bought a pair of 'glass' slippers for my 'uke' boy. And I don't care what they cost if I like them.

Clothes is a different thing. I love clothes, and my boys love clothes, but I'm not willing to pay as much for clothes as for shoes...luckily I've always made clothes...but I don't dress constantly in silk as my boys do. Such a good thing that they are minis..

10. How interesting! I tend to make all my doll's clothes. I have 4 children, so nuying clothes for them is enough!

11. I keep trying to make dolly clothes but I am just not very good at it so end up buying them something I'm not embarressed for them to be seen in.
      I do spend more on doll clothes and kids clothes than for myself.
      I already went through a phase of being addicted to buying the kids clothes so I have sorta calmed down now and don't go overboard with the doll shopping, though I have amassed quite a stash. It is much easier to shop from the armchair.

12. My BJDs are spending me out of house and home. God knows how long its been since I've had anything new! :( (that includes clothes, manga, DVDs etc. I think the last time I got any new clothes was 5 or 6 months ago! *_* )

13. I dress gothic and gothic lolita, when I have the time and drive, (it's hard to WANT to dress up in this town) but I need more clothes in general. So when I get a girl, I'll dress her in goth when I can, because it's what I like to wear. Maybe buy her things I can't afford (like big black boots), and put her in skirts shorter than I would wear.

Boys I'll dress in old fashioned clothing, or things I dream about seeing real boys in (teenage boys can't dress themselves. It's depressing to see that, when you enjoy dressing up and being flashy as much as I do).

If I had my doll's body? Hell yes my clothes would be shorter and tighter. Say what you want, but I'd love to be able to wear these things and feel like people were looking at me because I looked good (or like a slut. I know what I am, they can think what they like), than because I look uncomfortable and awkward with myself.

Though would having my doll's body mean never having to shave?

14. i do what some of the others here do as well, which is dress up our girls or boys in things that we would like to wear or what we wear.

i find its easier to shop for Nabiki cause overall an SD is and SD is an SD....most of the clothing fits her no problem (maybe not as much now since her bust grew like another size haha) but when i shop its so hard to find something that looks good on me because everything fits so different or it looks great on the rack but not so good on me....

15. I have some outfits that are similar in fashion to what I would/have get/gotten my doll. Sadly though, I work in an office and though no one would complain, I demand from myself a higher level of professionalism at work than what my desired clothes would be. Granted, things are often casual at work, but I couldn't go around in a leather mini-skirt and corset top with fishnets stockings now could I?

It sucks, since I have a j-rock style haircut and can't dye it some outrageous color or spike it straight up when I'm working. But with my doll, who occasionally comes to work with me on slow days it is easy to buy outrageous outfits and sexy boots when it's not possible for me to wear such things. My doll also has piercings that I would not have myself. Namely an eyebrow piercing and nose piercing.

So, in a way, I guess I do use them for this somewhat. But when I'm outside of work, we can both look pretty "out there." ^___^

16. does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      Well, all my dolls are boys, pretty well, except my Tinybear Coco who is...shaped a lot like me, lol! I dress my dolls a lot like I dress myself - a fanciful and quirky mixup of styles. However, I am unlikely to ever be seen in public sporting only a rainbow sarong, army boots, and a set of iridescent faerie wings!

does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself?
      Right now, yes - I found a bunch of great online shops for plus-sized ladies just as the Canadian dollar rose to the point where ordering from outside the country became not only feasible, but downright desirable if the shipping wasn't insane. I hadn't succumbed to the dolleh-habit yet, so I have a wardrobe stuffed full of lovely things that will last me a good long time: I don't need more clothes! So the dolls get a lot more attention than I do.
      I do buy most of my husband's clothes for him, and I have taken to getting him a few 'over the top' pieces along with his usual jeans and work-safe shirts, so he won't feel left out ;) He's the only guy in town who owns a bespoke-tailored brocade tailcoat and pirate boots, that's for sure!

does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?
      My dolls and I both don't pay much attention to trends: we like what we like and that's it.

would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?

(see above answer with rainbow sarong et al., lol!) I'd definitely dress differently if I had flawless skin that was luminous blue resin, heehee! (My lone OT girl, Coco, is blue) As the rest of my crew are boys, and I'm not so much into putting the lads in dresses, I have to say 'yes'. I wear skirts and dresses almost constantly - even if I am wearing pants, there's usually some kind of a skirt layered overtop, harajuku-style.

One major diff between me and my dolls is with shoes. Dolls never have to deal with great-looking shoes and boots that -in theory- fit, but give you foot pain and/or blisters. That said, both me and my dolls wear a lot of hi-top Converse; I've always loved the look of Cons, and Chucks in 8.5 mens give me happy feets!

17. I just.... never buy clothes for myself. I'm may be spending less than 100$ a year for my clothes, they come from gifts, shopping on my birthday and mom's paying and stuff like that.
      But I don't think I'll buy clothes for my doll, I'll sew them, beacause they're expensive.

18. does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      Somewhat. My doll has a better shape than I do (I'm quite pudgy and NOT skinny!) so I love to buy clothes that fit her well and stuff. I also like to dress her in outfits I'd never wear myself.

does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself?
      Yep. I don't shop for myself EVER if at all. Mom buys my clothes. If she sees something she likes, she'll buy it for me and I wear it. I don't care about fashion on my end, but for my doll, hell yes. $30 for myself seems like a lot but when its for my doll, it's not expensive at all. :sweat

does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?
      Yep! She is better suited to fashion and I can't make clothes for crap soo

would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?
      I'd care more about fashion if I had a body like my doll. Not wear skimpy outfits but at least buy some sexy stuff. I don't feel like that at all, I feel like a porker. :(

19. I'm by no means an ideal body shape and yes have to go to the Plus size section. However I by no means live vicariously through my dolls in what they wear or feel jealous of their perfect bodies. I love shopping for myself and more and more stores are caring clothes that are my style in the plus sizes.

I spend way more money on my wardrobe then my dolls. Right now my dolls are all wearing jeans and t-shirts because their cheep. Also only one of my dolls has the same love of bright colors and cute tops like me.

20. *hangs head* I am in this boat here. ^ It's all about the shoes. Even if I quit collecting dolls, I think I would still keep collecting the shoes. It's a sickness. ;; I mean, come on, DollHeart! Every time I think I've finally bought the biggest blackest shiniest buckliest kinkiest boots that they can come up with, and my collection surely must be complete, they go & put out ANOTHER pair. And I must have it. Then I step into my $5 Goodwill faux-leather oxfords, and I walk down to Coach and buy myself a pair of overpriced but adorable mary-janes. Between me and all the dolls in the house that wear shoes, we have, what, 40 feet between us? There's WAY more than 40 pairs of black boots here, all together, between my closet & the dolls' shoebox. The beauty of doll boots is, they're a fraction of the size & cost of my own, so I can collect more of them. :mwahaha

Actually, except for the miniskirts and cleavage and ponytails, the boys & I do dress pretty similarly. They're, umm, not the ones with the skirts. XD They all dress like boy-versions of me (we all wear big black boots and black t-shirts and leather jackets and PVC ^^). As for "fashion-forward", *cough* most people call the way I dress "totally freaking deranged", which means either 'very forward' or 'out to lunch', I can't tell which.

I don't have any girl dolls; I don't need girl dolls, because I play dress-up on myself! But I love dressing men in men's clothing, so I only have male dolls.... I don't know if you call that 'living vicariously', or 'using a substitute'. Because real boyfriends & husbands always get all cranky when you try to dress them up foxy for no reason, change their shoes four times per outfit, photograph them for an hour, then take their clothes off & dress them again... they complain and scoff and always want things in between, like food or sex. *ptch* Humans.