1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Our dolls shopping vs. our own

Mar 30, 2008

1. Nah... the only issue I have with shopping for dolls versus shopping for myself is that the cost of my dolls accessories is literally in scale with the cost of my own ie: 1/4 doll shoes $50, 4/4 me shoes $200.... I am very very bad, on the upside I do make the majority of my own clothes.... and as of now my dolls too....

2. i never buy stuff for me, clothingwise. LOL I tend to have the same things forever.

3. I rarely shop for myself now. It could be because I wear lolita clothes when I can and I prefer to wear anything by Angelic Pretty. And that can get pretty expensive itself. I do, from time to time, buy something from Wal-Mart when I'm there if it's cute and it catches my eye.

4. does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      Not really, it just means we dress differently on most occasions.

does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself?
      Well, yes. Although if some of the doll fashions were more readily available in human size that would probably change. As it is it's hard to get most of the japanese fashions over here though not the dolly size ones. :)

does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?
      Absolutely not. I pick out or make the outfits so I feel like I'm showing off my sense of fashion by putting them together and on my dolls.

would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?
      -lol- Yes! I'd have to hide my joints. No seriously, I dress a lot like my dolls anyway but to be realistic if I had a body like Ryou not only would I dress different but I'd probably be in a different profession.

5. I am a bit of a clothes-horse. I love 1940s tea dresses, 1920s flapper dresses, 1970s flairs and 1930s platform shoes. My real passion is the wild west, I love prairie boots and dresses and I look like an extra from Doctor Quinn when I wear the whole garb :) I also love fashion from the 17th century and try to incorporate a lot of that into my every day wear, like huge pearl jewellery. I like picking and choosing from different eras and I'm finding it easier to do that in off the peg human clothing, whereas with dolls I have to make a lot of it myself if I want it that badly.

I find some of the dolly clothes available sort of limiting, especially for my boys. Zee lives in a pair of jeans, a hoodie and Vans most days, because I've been too lazy to sew for him lately (in my defense, I'm waiting on some good trouser material to come in), I also loathe a lot of the shoes available for boys. The formal shoes look too uncomfortable, and I'm not fond of the Goth boots with chains and crosses and flames all over them...so that leaves trainers :|

6. I dont think its hard for me to shop for myself. I have a girlfriend and she'll just picks out the same things I like!

But when I shop for my girl Miyana, i just like to buy her things I won't be able to wear or what my girlfriend can wear. So I lead the simple way of shopping, just cos im a guy

7. For me, there is hardly a difference.
      Because I can hardly find any clothes in stores that I like, I sew them myself. (sometimes I buy clothes, but it's quite hard to find anything that really fits my measurements and my taste)

For dolls, same. I can hadly find the clothes that I want for them, so I sew them myself too. And I have a lot outfits in the same style and from the same fabrics as my dolls.
      I love my dolls to have the same clothes as I have. :)

8. Well...my dad buys my clothes, but he would never buy something for my dolls.
      That's why I'm spending my own money for my dolls XDDD'

Does Cosplay count?
      'cause much of my money is spend for cosplay stuff...

9. OMG! I'm the same way, not growing much *is a midget* helps a lot :)
      I still wear my elementary school uniform because it's comfortable, not stupid looking and all/90% of my other clothes are old too because I hate clothes shopping for myself too unless all my other clothes fell apart.

10. I actually have to say that my dolls have a very poor wardrobe compared to mine :sweat
      Like people said before I just can't seem to find the perfect outfits for them,(shakes fist at SD stuff) so I tend to make most things myself. And yeah I have a lack of time so it takes a loooooong time to finish stuff.
      So now and then I buy something for them because they deserve it :)

And if I had the body of a doll, that wouldn't be a good thing...I could wear everything I've always wanted!! lol

11. does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      Sometimes I think so, but casual works best for me and my dolls express the flamboyant side.

My dolls get more in the way of clothing than I do. Shoes, socks, etc. The only thing I splurge on for myself are Doc Martens.

does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself? Of course!

You bet! I could do the *Marlene Dietrich in a suit* look.

12. LOl..exactly I make alot of my own clothes but I am right there with you. I dont make alot of clothes for myself and spend more time either making clothes for my dolls and looking for things for them since I would rather spend the money on them them myself.

I sometimes put them in outfits I would never wear in RL like leather pants lol....Nor do I want to wear leather pants hee hee...

13. I admit whole-heartedly that I live vicariously through my girls. They're thin and buxom and can fit in one-size-fits-all. I, myself, have to steer clear of regular stores at malls and head to Torrid, Lane Bryant, or Ashley Stewart. I love shopping for myself, but it is a heck of a lot easier to shop for the girls! They can pull off nearly EVERYTHING! Where-as I look ridiculous in anything that shows the pudge at the back of my knees!!!

Doll Spending > Self Spending

unless you count food and entertainment toward self spending...

14. Does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      Somewhat, yeah. I can't live through them too much because they're guys, but I do enjoy imagining that I could someday look as cool as dolls can.

Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself?
      Sure. I don't like to shop for myself to begin with. I have one work outfit and one casual outfit, maybe three or four formal sets and a couple pairs of shoes. Having a lot of clothing and junk doesn't do it for me.

Does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?
      Of course, XD. Everything is more fashion forward than me. It doesn't take much.

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?
      Definitely. The primary reason why I don't dress like my dolls anymore is because it takes a nice body to look good like that. It isn't terribly difficult for me to find clothes in my size, but because I have such massive shoulders and am somewhat. . .I guess they call it well-endowed in the chest, though it's more of a curse. . .I just don't look good in most things.

15. does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      sometimes. i dress them up according to occasions, events , mood.

yes. i have shopped more for my doll whenever i go out shopping with friends. i would go thinking when i look at a mini ornament."does tis suit my doll? how can i dress my doll using tis?"
      and i realise that there are lots of things that is available in normal shops, which is suitable for dolls. cuz dolls are small size, and there are small cute ornaments which suits them a lot.

does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?
      yes. i try to dress them up in different fashion clothings. i picked up those fashion clothes in magazines. in gothic lolita clothes, even cosplay. i even try to sew their clothes usin my old unwanted clothes..lol

yes i would. ^^

but most of my money is spent on cosplay clothes and lolita clothes ..bleh

16. even though i'm awaiting the arrival of my first doll...

Does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      since it's a boy, only in the sense of having a sexy guy who i can transform in any way i want. :lol:
      Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself?
      i fully plan on sewing pretty much all his clothes. this is one of the things i'm most looking forward to. as for myself, my job definitely emphasizes "image", so i have the perfect excuse to indulge my own sartorial yearnings.

Does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?
      hmm, i would say as far as the "real life" fashion i have planned, no. as i'm no longer in my twenties, there are definitely cute junior fashions which i can no longer wear. but as i said before, being in a creative field allows me to get away with more fashion wise.

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?
      if i were a guy? or is this about body shape? any fashion i turn down is almost always more about age than body shape.

17. Most of the things I would wear wouldn't fit me even if I was skinny; I am a creature of bizarre proportions, quite possibly made out of spare parts if I had to guess. The dolls can have these outfits inflicted on them with impunity.

Shoes... they have some, I have more. And I have fewer feet. I just wander around barefoot almost all the time, regardless, so my endless shoes never wear out, either, and just keep swelling their numbers. I have small feet that makes it much more cost effective to add to my collection than theirs -- gotta love the clearance racks for that. Dolls don't have clearance racks, really. (More's the pity.)

My hair is probably stranger than theirs... sometimes. Had I not splurged on weird colors of hair extensions this past week, I'd be able to say I've spent more on their hair this year than I had on mine for the past ten years, give or take a little, though.

18. I really don't spend much on my dolls because I'm learning how to make clothes so I don't have to buy them clothes. It's expensive and the shipping is killer. Plus the clothes themselves don't always fit my dolls. I bought jeans for Aki and they can't snap together, to much man package I suppose. :XD:

For myslef, I don't really buy much stuff. I wear and rewash the same shirts I've had for many years, same with pants, I only buy new ones when they are ripped on the thigh area. I also only have one pair of walking shoes that I wear for a few months and then get new ones once they tear open on the sides. The only time I really spend on myself is not clothes but things, like books. I mean, I spend more on my two German Shepherds then I do on either me or my dolls. All the eqiupment I have to buy, food, AKC entries that are not cheap, etc. They are spoiled pups, but in a good way. (They don't get away with anything though so they aren't spoiled in a bad way. They CAN'T get away with anything considering they are pretty good size dog, plus my dogs are sport dogs with 13+ titles combined in AKC and Schutzhund, so they have to listen on the first command.) ;)

19. I think I shop for myself pretty much the same amount as I would for my doll. To be honest though, since I dont have him yet I've been searching for some sort of top for him for a while now. :sweat He's going to be shirtless for a while after he gets here unless I get a sewing machine or buy a cheap little top for him.
      Cheap = good
      That's how I normally buy clothes, I'm relatively petite so my style normally consists of what ever isn't flowing all over the floor and is comfortable.
      Sometimes I'll buy my shoes in the boys section!;)

20. Does this make you live vicariously through your doll? Not really. My dolls dress like I imagine those characters would. Sometimes our clothing styles overlap a little, but it doesn't influence what I buy for myself or them (though I would love to have my own Fer....)

Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself? I used to, but I don't have enough money anymore to shop for either ^^;; Both my dolls and I are stuck with the clothes we've got.

Does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself? Again, no. I've already been through my wildly gothic period, and done a fair bit of cosplay. There's nothing that my dolls wear that I haven't/wouldn't put on.

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll? Nope. Well, actually, if I was a man, I may dress a little differently ^_~