1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Our dolls shopping vs. our own

Mar 30, 2008

1. Does this make you live vicariously through your doll? Ostrich and my yet-to-be-named Pukisha will dress according to their character type. I don't want to dress like a cat.

Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself? I'd love to! But money is certainly a factor. While both dolls have store-bought outfits waiting for them, it's only because I don't want to waste the time/effort/money/tears trying to make something as good. I fully intend on making 90% of Ostrich's outfits.

Does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself? Do peasant clothes and a cat outfit count as fashion forward?

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll? My MNF's A-line body is only a few steps removed from a boy's figure. If I was as skinny as her I'd probably be in the hospital, which means I'd be wearing a hospital gown. So yes. :sweat

2. Well, I've only got two dolls- only one is female, and she has an immature body- so I don't think I'd want a body like hers :sweat

I'd be more inclined to dress like my boy if I could pull off longcoats and boots. Don't have the body shape for that, tragically. If I had the body for it, I might wear the kind of dresses I've got for my girl doll. Maybe not as patterned as her dresses, but SOME kind of pretty little dress.

I spend more on their outfits than I ever do on my own, regardless.

As far as the living through my dolls comment? No, I wouldn't- they're both representative of characters in a story and dress accordingly.

3. Does this make you live vicariously through your doll? I think I do somewhat. I am willing to buy things for my dolls that I would wear... but to buy them for myself it would cost five times as much! Therefore, I love looking through and choosing pretty dresses for my dolls to buy instead of finding things for myself.

Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself? Money of course is a huge factor, but I find myself looking at clothing for my doll more frequently than I look at clothing for myself.

Does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself? It depends what you are talking about here. I do not think my dolls or I wear/ will be wearing 'fashion forward' outfits. However, my dolls have clothing coming to them that I would love to wear but choose not to because of price (and the way that I see myself, too... it is a factor...)

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll? Oh yes, most likely. I just need to get out of my rut of wearing t-shirts and jeans all of the time. It really is not appealing to me but I do it because I don't want to have to buy myself new clothing. -.-

4. does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      I hate the idea of "living vicariously through my dolls". My dolls are just dolls and even though I like them, I would never buy them clothes if it meant that I couldn't buy something for myself.
      I like clothes and enjoy fashion so I'd rather buy beautiful clothes for myself than for them because in the end, well they stay home in their boxes and I get to go out! ^^

does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself?
      Quite the contrary. It's very hard for me to buy doll clothes because it's so expensive and I always think about what I could buy for myself before ordering something... My poor dolls, I'm so selfish. I'd be a terrible mother...^^'

does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?
      My dolls aren't really fashion forward... The first reason is that I sort of enjoy that they're dolls and can wear doll clothes. I like the cutey-pink-fairy thing for them. The second reason is that there is nothing really fashion forward for dolls. Mostly cute lolita or emo/goth stuff that I hate. Though I came accross Atelier Momoni' stuff and I really like it. They're the best "real looking and trendy" clothes I've seen yet.

would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?
      Well, my body's okay thanks, ahah. Well except for the big boobs. But no, I wouldn't, I can wear everything I want to wear. Well except things that show too much cleavage, but I'd be too shy to wear that anyway.^^'

5. Does this make you live vicariously through your doll? There are two dolls in particular who I will be living vicariously through when I get them. One of them is a character who I consider my alter ego. She's a singer in a J-Rock band, and her fashion sense is what mine would be if I had a killer body (I'm overweight and have small boobs). Some of the clothes she wears I could wear too, but I would have to pay a ridiculous amount to have them custom made, as I'm very tall and big, so obviously it's much cheaper to buy them for my doll.

Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself? Certainly. Clothing shopping for me ranges from embarrassing to disappointing, as my size and height make clothing not only expensive (it's either Walmart or designer clothes, no in between), but difficult to find (it's either made for a different body shape or granny clothes, rarely in between). It's waaaay easier to find lovely clothes for my dolls than it is for me.

Does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself? Yes and no. I'm not fashion forward mostly because of the money situation (if I was rich I could buy much more nice clothing), but I wouldn't mind being fashionable if I could afford it. Certainly it's cheaper for my dolls to wear all the lovely clothes, so it's easier for them. ;D

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll? Hell yes. Heeeeell yes. I would wear all kinds of awesome things if I had my doll's figure!

6. Does this make you live vicariously through your doll? I don't think so. I am at a point were my doll, and my upcoming ones in the planning stages, are more like aesthetic objects than bodies to hold a character or personality. I don't think a person can live vicariously through something that doesn't hold a certain amount of defined personality.

Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself? I believe anyone making a purchase for their doll is making a purchase for themselves, even if the purchase is being made to flesh out a preexisting “character”. You cannot buy for a doll without your own opinions taking center stage. But do I think all those purchases are to satisfy something on a deeper subconscious level? NO WAY.

Does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself? No. More like fashion backwards, honestly. How I dress has nothing to do with it really.

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll? I guess so? I'm just too short to really do most fashions... So many call for a fair bit of leg. I don't have much leg length to spare. But focusing on a doll here... Hm, that doesn't set right with me. Sure, I'd dress differently if I had the body of a super model. I'd dress differently than I do now if I were built differently than I am now. I dress in what I like, what feels comfortable and what looks right on me, that's all.

I don't really believe in this topic at all, though, I'll admit. It seems that it's default to some to assume that if someone has a flamboyant doll, they must somewhere want to be like that too... Or lament the fact that cannot. Can't people just... Like things without getting their subconscious involved? Am I really that empty headed and superficial?

7. does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      Not quite sure how to answer that one...I don't think so. I have a far easier time finding things I'll wear for myself than things that "suit" my doll, surprisingly enough.

Er, no(unless you count window-shopping. I'm not overly fond of women's readily-available fashion at the moment so I rather prefer doll-clothes to stare at). I tend to follow Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs pretty strictly. Hobbies, all hobbies, are pretty low on that scale. That, and right now I'm still doing the apartment-furnishing thing. It and my car come before most anything else, and are currently devouring quite a chunk of my income.

Not really, we're probably close to even. Heck, both he and I are currently on a mission for a really good pair of jeans.

Given that he's a he? Yeah. I'd probably need to ditch what skirts I own and most of the shirts would fit a bit funny...and I don't think I'd find much need for my current underthings, either. (Oh, to be free of the need for a bra...)

8. Well, I can't remember if I've posted in this topic before or not, but I'm bored so I will do it anyway. :sweat

Does this make you live vicariously through your doll?

I'm not... really sure? With Tarot and Blisdon the answer would definitely be no, but for Loa... maybe? Loa is the one who always wears the frilly dresses, and I have always admired such things in human form as well. The only problem is, I have absolutely no reason to own something like that and no where to wear it, so maybe I dress Loa that way because it interests me. When it comes down to it though, I still wouldn't want to go through the hassle of wearing all that lace and frill. It's better suited for Loa, who can just sit around looking cute all day. :)

Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself?

Shopping for my doll IS shopping for myself though. I own that doll. It's not like the doll is whining because it doesn't have enough clothes, I am buying that doll clothes because I enjoy dressing it up in them. It's really for yourself in the end anyway.

Does this make your doll more fashion forward than you would be yourself?

I don't really think any of my dolls are "fashion forward", with the exception of Blisdon, who does have some very cute and fashionable little clothing. Tarot has hooves, and thus has kindof a weird style to suit that trait. And Loa basically wears nothing but cutesy dresses. Maybe if we were living in a fairytale they might be considered "fashion forward", but certainly not in our world. I think I have them beat there. XD

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?

Well, if I had Tarot's body (hooves) I certainly would! Otherwise, no. My body is pretty much similar to Loa's, except more mature, since she is supposed to be a young girl and I am 22. Now if I had big boobs like my friend's Beryl... maybe then I would dress differently! :D

9. does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      Nope, my dolls are mostly boys and I'm a woman. The two girl dolls I do have dont change their outfits very often ^_^

I make a good selection of clothing for my boys. My own wardrobe is slowly getting to be too big due to me loosing weight, so i have to focus on my own clothing right now...

Nope, my boys seem to all have 1 or 2 pairs of pants and a few shirts to share between them... eventually they will have lots of clothing, but for now they can wait.

definately, I would be able to wear more brands of lolita... the only problem then would be deciding to spend the money on my dolls or to spend it on myself... My dolls still have shoes that cost more then all the ones i own >_>

10. Well... I'm definitely more willing to spend more money on their clothes than I am to spend money on my clothes. xD; I wouldn't spend more than $50 at a time on myself, but with doll clothes... $150 isn't so bad. :P

And I don't really find shopping depressing. My problem is more finding clothes that are small enough for me. xD; I'm a size 6 Australian (no idea about US sizes) or an XXS. And a lot of shops don't go down that small. Dx It can be quite annoying.

I suppose my dolls do wear more winter clothes. Because I never get to wear them here and I love them so much.

If I had a body like my dolls... I would dress differently, because I'd be a guy. xD;

11. does this make you live vicariously through your doll?
      I dress up in funny clothes anyway so I don't need to wear their sort of clothing vicariously :)

I sew more for myself than I do my babies :sweat Don't do much shopping for any of us.

Haha, no. We're all quite fashion backward.

I kind of do have a body like my doll... but they wear their dresses lower cut than I do though :sweat

12. Does this make you live vicariously through your doll? I can barely afford to buy gorgeous clothes for myself, but I suppose I kind of do live that way through my doll, only because my doll is a boy and can wear certain things I can't...

Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself? I look at doll clothing -a lot-, but I never buy any of it, simply because of the price.

I don't really know what fashion forward is...if it's "what's in" today in the world, then no. My dolls dress in a slightly fancy modern look. Kind of. Usually. They try. But I'd like to think I'm quite fashionable myself in a different way, so no, I don't think my doll is more fashion forward.

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll? ...I think if I were a doll or my doll was a real person, I'd probably be thinner than he is *referring to her MSD*. Although, having a body like his [if I were a boy], it would definitely making shopping a hell of a lot easier instead of always digging through sales looking for XS or size 0 Dx [which is super hard to find]

In the end, I probably spend more on myself because of pricing. I'd rather buy something for myself that I could possibly tailor to fit for about 20$ or less than a 50$+ outfit for my doll...although, that's partially because shipping too, so if I were to buy doll outfits, I'd buy in bulk...

13. I'm 19 and I am wearing things I like and I am diffenetly not live vicariously through my doll (that hadnt even arrived yet! XD)
      Most of things I want to buy for my doll are doll-like. I wouldnt wear them if they were human-sized not because I dont fit into it, but because people do not go on work in white lace-ruffles filled pearl-sewed dress. Or people do not go on studies in kimono.
      But theres also things that I would LOVE to buy for myself if it only was humansized. Usually, it clothes style I wearmyself, so well.
      And also there's things I want to buy for my doll and wouldnt buy for myself because my taste for things for me to wear andв or my doll to wear are slightly different XD And it's not because body difference at all XD

14. ..rock..hard? *giggle, snort* I don't have any dollies so I can't speak from personal experience but many of my friends do. I've been with them as they've desperately searched online for clothing that would fit and befit their dolls. Sometimes this process would take hours of researching to end up with 1/4th of an outfit.

I think it just depends. I can leave a store in under thirty minutes but I may spend a week of searching for that perfect outfit for one of my fantasy dolls. [I can dream, can't I? xD] But then again, I don't have a particularly difficult figure. *5'4'' and 100 lb* My skin is everything but flawless though..^^;

I've found this to be true for dolls as well. Not all SD sized dolls are 58 cm. Some dolls of the same size can be chunkier, thinner, bustier and more asstastic than the last. I often find items with friends that would be perfect for an MSD sized doll, but the item is only available in SD sizings.. Ugh. Which is where commissions come in I suppose. But don't we all have access to a tailor? I also think it's easier to spend a small fortune on a doll's wardrobe than ones own. ^^;;

I do think a lot of us live through our dolls, if not all of us. It's true with child rearing. We want to enable this child with privileges and experiences we, ourselves, were denied. In essence, giving this child a life we would rather have had. It's the same with dolls.. It may not be that literal, but it can be applied on varying levels.

I don't think I'd dress any differently if I had the figure or complexion of a doll. I earnestly don't think so. I arrived at my level of comfort because of extraneous circumstances that aren't directly influenced by my appearance.

To clarify: I'm one of those skinny chicks who doesn't take her shirt off at beaches. It's not the body that makes me comfortable, it's how I arrived to accept my body that influences my perception of it.

15. I'm also nineteen~! ^^

I do like doll clothes..xD But then again, the more bows and lace, the better for me. <3 So you're saying you'd rather fancy wearing these things if only they were more acceptable as a common wardrobe? Or that they're better off for a doll's consumption.

I just wear whatever I feel like, that's how I balance things. The dolls I eventually plan on would have their own preferences for things, some of which are similar to my own. It's like.. comparing a siblings wardrobe to your own. There are as many similarities as there are differences. But then again, I tend to think of dolls as miniature people with lives and such. <3!

16. Nope, I dress punk, and I dress my doll punk, he likes it and I like it! :)
      I have a hard time finding cool clothes that fit me though, so what I can't wear usually he wears it. :sweat
      So I guess I do... :3

17. I say "Maybe". I love lolita, but I would never attempt to squeeze my bulbous rear end into a beautiful BTSSB jumper simply because I would look in the mirror and feel sorry for the outfit. :sweat None of the styles I truly love would look good on me. Hell, I can't even really wear normal clothes. I'm very short and very curvy. If it fits over my massive hourglass hips it's a mile too long. So yes, I certainly fulfill my clothing desires through my dolls, but it isn't like it's the reason I own them.

I hate shopping for myself because of the things mentioned, so most of my disposable income goes toward dolls.

If my body were more like my dolls I'd either be male or a 5 year old girl...so no. :lol: But if my body were more "doll-like" then I would certainly indulge myself with Lolita and Indian Saris.

18. Well, my future doll is going to be a very awkward size, so the only thing that will really fit properly and immediately look fabulous will be the outfits she's coming with. However, that's how things are for me, too, so I guess doll and I are in the same boat when it comes to clothes shopping--we'll both hate it!

The truth is I don't plan to live vicariously through my doll. I already enjoy a very expensive fashion style, because I wear lolita. I plan to also dress my doll in lolita, but a lot of high-quality doll-sized lolita outfits are almost as expensive as the human-sized stuff! Honestly, I'd rather spend $200 on an outfit for myself instead of $100 on an outfit for my doll. There's a lot more enjoyment for me out of something I can wear and cannot make. My sewing abilities aren't up to my own high standards; I can only hand-sew. However, I'm fully capable of making outfits for my doll--she's small enough that I don't mind doing it by hand. Trying to make something for myself... that would take forever and the materials cost would be sky-high.

19. I'm a pretty average size and height, so I can wear a general range of clothing without looking like an aberration of nature. I'm not very daring when it comes to clothing though, and even if I fit into something I like, there's no guarantee that I'd actually wear it. I try to stay on the boring and unprovocative side of clothing, as much as I want to wear the more daring and edgy things.

My doll's tastes pretty much echo mine, although he's a boy. I think I will live a bit vicariously through him, because he's going to wear all the things I'd wear if I had the personality to pull it off (and if I was male).

20. Does this make you live vicariously through your doll?

I don't live anything through my dolls, I have a great life with wonderful people in it, and I am quite happy with myself. They're just pretty hunks of plastic that I get to play with ;)

Does this make you shop for your doll more than for yourself?

I definitely have more clothes than my dolls, but none of my dolls are fashionistas either so while I'm not a huge fan of shopping period, I wouldn't spend more on clothes for my dolls than I do on myself.

None of my dolls are really fancy dressers or anything, I think I'd prolly wear any of the things they wear. So no my dolls aren't more fashion forward than me, not that I'm fashion forward either :lol:

Would you dress differently if you had a body like your doll?

I don't think I would dress any other way than I do... I like looking nice!
      I happen to be very happy with my figure, I don't think I'd change a thing about myself (and I'm no stick!). I don't wish I had a figure like my dolls, I like how I look, I may not be the perfect ideal or whatever nonsense but I think I look fine! Not to mention I think my fiancee would be sad if my figure was like a dolls because then I wouldn't be me, I like my looks, imperfections and all :)