1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Overwhelming support of your hobby?

Jun 6, 2007

1. My mom really seems to like my boy. Every time the sewing machine goes off, she comes into my room a little later to see his new outfit. She's really supportive of me buying new dolls if I have the money and I think he's kinda started to grow on her.

A lot of my friends like him. My cousin is making clothes for him every so often and my best friend loves his hair.

I think the only people who don't support me are my dad (thinks I should be saving my money for a car or something when I already have a fund in the bank for that), and a few friends who just don't get it. They say he's "creepy" or that it's "too expensive for a doll."

2. my mum is super supportive. *lol* she's raiding ebay for offers on dollies that might be of interest for me xDD.
      i guess she feels sorry for my doll, because he's still all alone °-°;.

3. Though my boyfriend initially found all of my dolls a little creepy at first, he's grown to love them and love the fact that they make me happy. A lot of my friends think they're pretty cool too. :)

4. My hubby has been super supportive of my bjd hobby to be honest. Alternative/creative/artist guys are so cool in that way. Plus, it's not like I hounded him for money to buy them. I've always had good jobs and such so that it wasn't like he had to pitch in money for my little habits, lol.

It was never a matter of groceries or dollies. Not to mention, I sew clothing for my dolls and sell them on occasion, so in many ways each one of my dolls has paid for themselves by this point...Something else my hubby really likes. He sees that my dolls give me great joy and keep me creative pretty much constantly. And I've just about always warned him like a year ahead of time that a particular doll might make its way home (I contemplate a doll for a loooong time before buying). That seems to make a difference. There was one time when I ordered one and I didn't really tell him until like the day she arrived. He's not a dumb ass, so despite the fact that he doesn't always know how much they cost EXACTLY he is aware that they are not cheap & are comparative in price to an HD TV, lol. He didn't freak out (again I spend my money on what I want after priorities are met), but he definitely let me know that he'd like to be informed a bit in advance.

It's odd to think that he might not have been so supportive over the years had it been a situation of doll money coming out of his paycheck or something.

For the most part, everyone I know has been really supportive. Which is awesome!

5. I didn't think that I had a whole lot of support from my fiancee, who thought they were just going to be shelf babies, and whatnot. Now, he totally understands and welcomes the idea of the dolls being around. He doesn't have a problem if I take Lirael places with us, and he's given me photostory ideas. What I loved the most, though, happened a few days ago. I had just given Lirael a new face-up, and was trying a different set of eyes in her... XD

He took one look at her, and said, "Her other ones made her cuter. On the big ones, it makes them look mysterious, on the little ones, they just look creepy." -She had a set of Soom Nada eyes in, no pupils). I put her original eyes back in, and brought her back to him, and he took her from me, turned her face to his brother and said, "See! Now she's all cute again!"

I love that man. XD

6. What a sweet story! It's amazing the difference the eyes make...And when someone else notices it really says something:)

7. Almost everyone I know (Mom, dad, boyfriend, best friend, friend A, friend B, work associate, aunts, etc...) absolutely love my dolls or at least enjoy them. In fact, over half of them have actually ended up buying dolls for themselves or started making an effort to save for one. :lol: The only person I've even know for more than a day that isn't fond of them is my boyfriend's older brother. He says the realistic hair and eyes kind of creep him out. He also doesn't like the price. However, his girlfriend has since gotten into them too thanks to me. :lol::lol: Then again, it could also be my bf's fault that she likes them, as he has two.

I'm always reading about people having to deal with friends and family giving them a really hard time over these dolls, and even having their relationships suffer. I've always counted myself lucky to be surrounded by such awesome and accepting people.

8. My brother is so funny he is a tattooed musician who has always (I think) been mildly embarrassed by his dorky younger sister....

So I told him today that my boy (my first BJD) would be coming soon and he was to answer the door when he came and he could not make fun of me when I opened him and his response kinda shocked me he said

"I wouldn't make fun of you, and anyway everytime I walk past you on the computer I see you looking at pictures of those dolls....and they...some of them...look kinda cool..."

I was shocked to say the least!

9. Man, no real support from anyone except my best friend, who wants one as well. Shes's more exited about it than I am. I've had muted support from my mom, who says to me, "Whatever, it's your money and you can do whatever you want with it. Just don't tell your stepdad or brother." Lame.

10. My boyfriend has been surprising supportive of my hobby. He actually named my YoSD Remi and even bought a dress for her that cost $40+ with shipping and all. O_O None of my family members care much for my dolls so I was pretty flabbergasted.

11. I get a lot of support from my good friends. My best friend, he deals with them and my general blabbering about them. My secondary best friend will actually sit down and play with them occassionally and loves it when I do something new with them ( I think he's kinda in love with my new girl). And most of my other friends are very accepting of them, even if they don't quite understand them.

12. My mother and grandmother are completely supportive of my hobby. So are my friends. I got one of them into BJDs and she now has 2 and is paying off a 3rd! My grandmother was actually the one who got me my first doll nearly 3 years ago. My mother ended up getting me my third. :3 My mom even sometimes sees some that she likes and I think eventually I am going to get her one of her very own.

I also had this one guy who saw Adonis (DZ Wing V1) in my arms at the bookstore. He originally thought it was one of those parent projects that you get in high school. I explained what Adonis was and that he wasn't that. The guy then said to me, "Thank you for bringing him out! You taught me something today!"

Today this complete stranger saw me struggling to put Jordi's (MNF Juri 08) head back on his body and actually helped me! I thought it was like the nicest thing ever since people normally would freak out at the sight of a bald doll with a person diging in the back of its head. He even went to his car to get a tool he thought would help! Then procceded to ask me all about them and tell me his kids watch Dragon Ball Z! :3

Also today the manager of the Jiffy Lube my mom and I were at. (Where that nice stranger was.) Suggested a name for my Juri. XD I thought it was cute that they were all trying to help me name him. Cause not just the manager suggested one but the cashier did too!

I have gotten the occasional rude comment but usually I get this huge support for a hobby many people aren't aware of.

13. Well my parents haven't said much about it, I think my dad hates the idea. My friends are supportive(well the one who gets to sew for him is super excited) and my dad's co-workers are even excited xD

I haven't had much positive or negative reactions about it(prbably because I'm usually so positive I don't even notice the negative :XD:)

14. My mom is pretty supportive. She helped me buy my first, because she's lovely :) She likes my Pullip too, likes to dress her and such. She's constantly leaning over when I'm looking at dolls and says. "Oh! She's so pretty!" "Mom that's a boy." "Is not!" "It really is." "Well now that one looks like a boy." "Mom, that's a girl." "Well now, I just can't win can I?"

15. My family is supportive. :) My parents always keep an eye out for doll sized things and they chip in on the dolly fund- same with my grandma. My mom loves going doll clothes shopping when we get the chance. XD Pretty recently my brother's wife took an interest in them, and she bought me a doll chair for my tiny, which I thought was very flattering and sweet of her. My best friend thinks they are very interesting and she likes hearing about them. I'm very happy that I have so many understanding people around me who support my hobby.^_^

16. I haven't gotten any negative comments at all save those from two of my siblings (which don't count, siblings are supposed to fight, haha) and an ex-boyfriend (which doesn't count either because he said it to be malicious).

Other than that, I've gotten a lot of positive feedback about it. Sometimes people in public are really curious and will ask questions.

I tend to take Adelheid to bookstores and so far I've had three different girls who've worked there get really excited when I brought her in. The best was a girl who worked the coffee counter and she was especially excited when I let her hold my doll. She actually called another employee over to see it also. :lol:

I also take Adelheid with me to a place called Longwood Gardens pretty often and I've had several people come up and ask questions. One woman was also a doll-collector (not of BJD's) and she was also very sweet and interested. She even said something like, "you can't help but feel like they're real people." So cute!

17. This is my first BJD but I have been collecting dolls for years. My mother and sister also collect dolls so they are very supportive.

My husband has his own expensive hobby so he totally understands mine. I think it makes him feel better to see me get the dolls I love. But he really likes my new BJD and even helped pick which wig looked better on her. Of course I don't think he would admit it to anyone.