1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

owning the not so popular molds

Jul 18, 2009

1. It seems that most of my dolls are more popular molds, but I didn't get them because they're popular, I got them because I liked them. And sometimes I think the more popular ones don't always get comments, either, just because there ARE so many of them! If I post photos of just my MNF Shiwoo or DZ Mo, I realize that there are so many of them that they may get lost in the shuffle and people may not look saying "OMG, another Shiwoo...", and that's OK.

I try to comment on gallery posts, but only if I have something to say. If there are already 10 posts saying "Cute doll!" I might not take the time to comment. I also don't always look at the gallery unless I have the time and motivation to comment, or if I'm in the midst of searching the gallery for pics of a certain mold I'm on a mission and may forget to comment.

I also find that while I love to look at pics of the popular dolls if they're ones I love (especially Ducan or El, for example) and I always like to look at pictures of dolls I have (it's fun to see how the sculpts can look so different done up different ways), I also will almost always click on one with pics of a sculpt I don't recognize the name of or one I don't see often. In some cases more unusual ones can get more attention.

In the long run, though, I get the dolls I like, and hope everyone else does the same. Even if no one ever commented on pics of my Mo, I still love him.

2. I think having a less common doll should be all the more reason to post pictures of them and share them with everyone else to show us how fab your dollie is!

3. One of the regular release dolls I am chomping at the bit to get a hold of is one I have almost never seen on the forums, because I am completely in love with her face: Soom Olivine. Weirdly, I am more eager to be able to order her when I can than I am for the arrival of some of the items I've seen a lot of talk about I've already ordered to arrive.

4. I don't care at all if a doll I own is popular or not. I'm not really sure what "popular" means. A lot of people here really seem to hate bobobie dolls, and yet there are a lot of people with them. So does that make them "unpopular" because a lot of people look down on them, or "popular" because a lot of people own them? I have a Sprite and an Apollo, both owned by a lot of people, and I really love them.

I have lots of other brands and sculpts. Right now my current favorite is my Shinydoll. They are such wonderful dolls- and yet there do not seem to be too many of them around.

Really, the only time I care if a doll is "popular" (meaning owned by a lot of people) is when i am thinking about buying one- because I find owner pictures soooo helpful when making a decision about whether or not to buy a certain doll. So it's nice if I can go to the database or the incoming threads and find lots of owner pictures to help me make the decision, since I find owner pictures almost always show the dolls' personalities better than the company shots.

As far as commenting- I hardly ever post pictures here, so it doesn't really matter to me. But whether people comment or not can have a lot to do with timing (if you post at odd times, or during really busy times your pictures might get overlooked), and also I think it helps to have established some rapport with the community. It seems like the more you post, the more people get to know your dolls/style, and the more people will respond. I think that if you comment on other people's photos frequently, they might be more likely to comment on yours.

5. Me too. I'd love to see more Olivine spam and have even put up begging threads in the bjd-opedia to that effect. I don't post many pics of my crew though so why should I be surprised the Olivine owners aren't posting either.

I totally agree with this. I wish the owners of countless "unpopular" sculpts would post more pix cos I would love to see them. There definitely several sculpts I thought I didn't like until I saw owner pics of them and all of them were pretty unpopular, and now they're all on my ever expanding list.

6. Yes, user-pics are ideal when trying to make a choice for wich doll.
      my very fisrt bjd was a puki sugar, whom I really dearly love, but she's a tiny doll, and most of the friends with dolls I had, all had sd's which made me slightly uneasy. I have an msd and an SD now too, and sometimes I still feel uneasy, because they aren't your usual doll.
      I like dolls that are a little different, quirky even. those tend not to be mainstream, but as long as I like them, its all ok.

7. I have an AOD Kim, AF lily and SDF Bliss, and they aren't exactly the most popular molds lol. :3 but who really cares what dolls are popular and what dolls are not? Who actually dictates that some dolls are more popular than others? It's really stupid if you actually buy a doll "just because it's popular/many people have it," or not post a doll's photo on the forum "just because it isn't as popular as my other dolls."

Popular things get overrated with time, and it's not as if they'd be popular forever. Who knows, maybe an "unpopular" doll you own might eventually be popular over time, like SOOM for example. They used to have a small but pretty loyal fanbase, and now they're one of the most ~popular~ companies. So really, if you like a mold but it's not popular, what does it matter?

8. As the owner of a Tender Too and Tender BeeA for three years, I fully understand this. You post them on the forum and get the occasional "Oh, they're cute!" or "cool clothes" and at meetups, people say the same to be nice, and then they're usually ignored. It's always made me wish I had the gorgeous dolls, but I also adored and loved my dolls no matter what people thought of them.
      However, I did get up the courage to modify my Tender BeeA (sold the Too after they both got a new faceup and I fell in love with her again, and not him), and now I have made a beautiful doll that everyone loves out of a doll that nobody cared for.

9. I have quite a few dolls that probably do not come up on the forum as often as the rest that I own do [Lati Censya is one], but I buy dolls for myself and not to please other people.

10. Really? That's bizzare. Because I find that my Lati Rei, my more obscure sculpt (there's what... 5 of him on these forums at most?) gets much more attention by far. At least, in the galleries and at meets (Michael (KDF Bory) definitely has the upper hand in my DA gallery). People are always interested in Russel, with all the "Oh, he's a Lati! May I see?" comments I get. (Although Michael usually tries to balance it out with the cute...). So, I haven't yet encountered the problem of an unpopular sculpt not getting the attention.

I'd think it should be that way too; I mean, for example, there are over 80 Bory's on the forum, and people would tend to pass most of them by, but a Lati Blue is a different and uncommon, so he'd get more attention.

11. I think the core of my collection is mainly unpopular dolls... in the least popular size ^^;. Chubby, cutesy MSD girls. When I look at the gallery I think all I see is tiny girls and big girls and boys, but quite a bit less of the size inbetween (for immature at least... I think more mature minis like Unoa and MNF are quite popular ;)).

I hardly ever see a Midori or an F-16 in the gallery... but it doesn't bother me because I find them both super cute and they make me happy! Well, I guess the only thing that would bother me is that I'd like to see more :] hehehe.

12. I think it's fantastic when people post their rarer sculpts! And I wish I'd see more of certain ones like Soom Olivine, Soom Lazule, Lumedolls, etc. I'm open to many sculpts as long as they have that certain sparkle that I like.

13. I actually get really happy when I see what people can do with their "unpopular" molds. Because I find that with the more common ones it's always bound to have been done before, or at least it will be sooner or later. And excuse me if I sound sappy here, but I think that the amount of care and love people put in their dolls show. :) There were many dolls here and at meets that got people amazed and expressing surprise when they discover (or don't know ;P) what the mold is.

So yeah.. Don't let it bother you too much. Cuz in the end, the one who should enjoy the hobby is you, not everyone else.

14. ^ this so many times!

i'm definitely in the category of unloved/unpopular molds. i have an Angel Region Jade girl and an Angel Fantasy boy (you can see them both here), but i rarely post anything in the gallery because, like the OP says, i get very dull responses. it doesn't make me love my dolls any less nor does it make taking pictures of them any less fun.

however, most of the reason why i don't post in the gallery is because i feel the pictures aren't good enough. if i DO post them, i don't expect many responses from members here on DoA - i just send the link to my friends and THEY comment on my thread. :)

15. When I look at the threads I start, Timothy's shoots get hardly any replies. I don't mind, because I understand: Most people haven't even heard of his mold. But as long as I love the little boy - and he certainly is one of my favorites - I can't be bothered by the lack of interest. Instead I'm eager to learn how to make beautiful pictures so that I can show everyone how cute he is.

16. My first two dolls are basic Soom Gems, which don't seem to be very common here. Yes, Soom has become a very popular company with the Super Gems and the amazing monthly dolls, but the basic line doesn't get nearly as much love.

I don't expect a lot of response when I post pictures, but I love photographing my dolls and think they're beautiful. I wouldn't trade them for more "popular" molds.

17. I wish also that people would post pictures of the unpopular/obscure dolls. Maybe with your pictures you can convince someone else to buy him/her!

As for me, I think the least popular sculpts I own are my DM Huey Lewis and my Soom Tan Gena... but I love them both and didn't consider popularity at all when shopping around for them.

18. ,,Don't worry about having not so popular molds, this hobby is about what you like, not about what others think. Some people may not comment but they like to watch.

19. I have 2 MSDs from dollmore. One's a limited edition black nocturne (catsih doll) and the other's a Bpy Ciel.
      Everytime I post photos that I've taken here on DOA, I notice that the thread gets left alone and I only get a few encouraging words, as opposed to the more popular molds hogging the screentime.. XD

But I don't care, I prefer my dolls over the popular ones.
      I think a lot of people prefer popular dolls because (to me at least) they look a tad on the anime side, visually.
      I bought my two dolls because they look more realistic, and I find it more fun to photograph them and give them faceups.

20. I dont mind popular dolls, but I dont like when they became to common also.
      basically, i dont really post in gallery much or anywhere much because i want to avoid those mixed negatives feelings of "my doll not as beautiful, no one likes them" thing. cuz i know deep down inside, the main reason i buy doll is for me.