1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

owning the not so popular molds

Jul 18, 2009

1. I personally don't care if I sculpt/doll I love is popular or not. I buy the dolls I like to make me happy

2. My guys attract attention just due to making people wonder where they're from, but I also have big dolls. Dolls people haven't seen before make some people curious. It's not necessarily that nobody likes your dolls, by the way - other people just may not have the kind of character they'd suit, or have a totally different aesthetic sense. When I'm not feeling all that adventurous, I tend to hover only around threads on here whose company and size class I own or want dolls in. But that's on DOA. Elsewhere, you perhaps are more likely to just run into things based on tags....

3. Both of my boys aren't popular but that makes them super special cause they are rarer to see.

4. That's one of the reasons why I stopped writing sculpt names on my gallery threads...
      It isn't a problem with "new doll research" because they're not being produced anymore. If someone gets curious about them they'll still find me.

Sadly they were unpopular before and became even more unknown now that there isn't a company website anymore.

5. I don't think you need to feel offended, no. But I understand feeling disheartened sometimes.

I occasionally get frustrated because I'd love to see more of Vince's sculpt out there (because I happen to think he's just so darn lovable), but he's a relatively-uncommon An... and one of Luts' more popular sculpts is Ani. So every time I search for more Ans, I have to sort through dozens of Anis to get to the few that are out there. But, it does make it feel pretty special when I do see other An owner pictures, like we're part of some kind of tiny club, and so when I do spot them, it makes me happy seeing what other owners do with theirs.

I think that if I had one of the really popular sculpts instead, I would still enjoy seeing what other owners did with them and still think a little bit more fondly of a stranger who had the same taste in dolls without knowing anything else about them, but I don't think it would be such an intense feeling. Like, now, when I see another KDF An, I feel like that 'same hat' comic, but about dolls. I just get really excited and happy.

... Come to think of it, Pete's sculpt isn't one I see so often, either... I guess I just have an eye for the less popular ones so far. It can be a bummer when you feel like a sculpt deserves more popularity, or when it feels like your photos get overlooked in favor of a more popular sculpt, but there are some upsides here and there, too.

6. The ONLY downside I can see to liking unpopular sculpts is trying to find owner pictures of it before you buy it.
      And... 90% of my dolls had either none or very few owner photos.

Besides, my flickr, which I love to post my dolls to gets hardly any attention and I don't mind in the slightest. I don't really post to DoA save from occasional posts in the 5stardoll and Narsha discussion threads and VERY occasionally Realpuki, which I also don't mind.

#406 Calabri, May 22, 2016
      Last edited: May 22, 2016
    7. I have a couple of dolls that aren't as popular or common. But I've never been drawn to things that most others are drawn to. Of course, we all love when our dolls/creations get attention, but everyone has different tastes. As long as you love what you have and are happy with them it shouldn't matter what others think.

8. I think my doll is not popular. I just found 2 owner pictures so far. It makes my doll special because not so many people post the pictures.

9. I own Island Doll Amber. I found only two owners having this sculpt. The doll is pretty and I prefer her much more than the most popular sculpt Amy from ID. There are also few sculpts that I like and hardly anyone has them :/

10. I'd say about half of my dolls aren't very popular amongst the BJD community.

Honestly, I don't really care. When I buy a doll, it's because I want it, not because of other people's opinions on the sculpt. Unless, of course, there's something wrong with it casting-wise.

I think that there are people out there who can appreciate every sculpt - just maybe not the majority. :3nodding:

11. almost all my dollies aren't popular molds but they are to me and that all that matters as long as I'm happy with them they will shine brighter in my eyes :)

12. Love your dolls because they make you happy and because they brighten your entire world. :D

Even if just a few people like them, there will always be people who will share the same enthusiasm. :cheer

13. I have one of the LE Dolls. He's the collab between LE and AoD, Adonis. There were only 38 of him made and I almost never see any other pictures of him anywhere. A google search usually returns my boy almost exclusively. I think he's a great sculpt with a tiny hint of a smirk but the comments about him when he was released were incredibly negative with some even calling him ugly. Obviously that's not my opinion of him and I can't picture his character as any other sculpt.

I seem to have a thing for picking the unpopular sculpts. That doesn't really bother me but it does make it harder to find discussions for some of my guys. I like what I like and since it's my money going to purchase the doll, what others think of it doesn't mean anything to me. That does sometimes make looking for a specific doll in the 2nd hand market hard, but what's life without a challenge, right?

14. When I was looking for owner pics of my dolls, I found some of them to be really hard to find pics of. Iplehouse Kamau was one of those, and admittedly, I thought that was kind of cool. Thanatos gets to be unique. Mind you, I've been soomed, and have one FL head already, and I think, on the flip side, it's really interesting seeing all the different things people do with more popular sculpts, so they still look very individual.

15. 3 out of my 6 are sculpts with very, very few owner pictures anywhere at all, so I guess that means they're "unpopular"? It doesn't bother me that tons of people didn't want to buy that sculpt, nor does it make me feel like people don't like my dolls when I post them. If anything I enjoy posting pics of those dolls so that on the off chance someone is out there trying to research that sculpt, there are pics of it somewhere.
      The other 3 of my dolls are ones lots of people have, and I do think it's fun to look up owner pics of those 3 and see all the many, many different ways the sculpt can look and how differently others interpret it than I did. So that is one thing that I do miss out on with my 3 that few people seem to have or post.

16. My favorite doll is a Littlefee Dark Elf Soo, which is a sculpt that a lot of people seem to have acquired when she was first released, but then never really took off. I found very few owner pictures of her, which was OK in this particular instance, because I was so smitten with her. It's actually really gratifying to post pictures of my girl and have people be surprised to learn what she is. I've gotten comments from people that they didn't like her sculpt until they saw mine!

17. I have some very popular sculpts (Shiwoo, Sard), some that are virtually unknown, and some that are just unpopular. My Momocolor Banya was produced right when the company was was in their rapid downward spiral and she was newer and much less popular than some of their other sculpts. I've never seen another...
      My newest doll, a Peakswoods Viyol, was produced for years but always seemed unpopular compared to Cue, and she was only offered in blue-grey skin during their discontinuation event (as far as I know). There were only a few other Viyols on the board to start with, so as far as I've ever seen, she might as well be the only blue-grey Viyol in existence.
      I'm a terrible photographer so I don't post much, but I admit it would be nice to have more discussion to participate in. Still, it's kind of nice to have something a little different from the next collector, isn't it?

18. I don't consider my sculpts unpopular, per se, only uncommon. I guess the difference being for me that "unpopular" evokes the idea that people people are actively talking down about it or discouraging people from purchasing it. My favorite doll is from DreamingDoll, a less mainstream (although not unpopular) company, and my only main frustration is how slowly the related thread moves here on DOA!! ;) My other new doll is an artist doll, on-topic but produced in very limited runs, so again, super slow thread movement and few owner pictures. Since I can't double post, I often have to wait a really long time to have anything to comment on and share about. That said, I adore those dolls to pieces, so there's no actual disappointment for me in owning them..

19. I prefer for other people not to like the same dolls I do. Then I don't have to see them all over the place, and mine can be special. :3