1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

owning the not so popular molds

Jul 18, 2009

1. I don't post most of my dolls either since they aren't very popular. I have a sort of mixed bag of dolls that are either really popular or compltely unloved! LOL!

My Volks Heath doesn't get much love and it doesn't help that I keep redoing his face-up myself, Honig Doll Sidra well, there's only 10 of them to begin with so she doesn't get out much. I ADORE the Catish dolls from DM and own Persian Nocturne White- she doesn't exactly rake in the comments. Same with my DM Torrie. My DIM Benetias barely get noticed at all.

The only dolls that I can post which get attention are my Kurumi and Luna. That's about it.

I will admit to being less enthused about taking pictures since they don't get much response. But when I do look through the gallery I'm alays on the look out for interesting/rarely seen molds.

2. My Raurencio Studio Baal is VERY UNPOPULAR here and I don't even think Raurencio still produce him after the first batch sold out.. XDD But I love him so much.
      In fact, he used to have the highest favorite click on my DeviantArt page. And still has the highest number of pictures in my computer.. XD Ironic isn't it?

I seriously don't care if my doll is popular mold or not. as long as I love them to death, that's all it matters.

3. I like having some unpopular sculpts, just because they are different -- I like some popular and some really unpopular sculpts. I like to think I'm not too influenced by what other people like, but it's hard to be sure. It *is* a little disheartening when you post a thread and hardly anyone responds -- I tend to post most of my pictures to livejournal where I have a group of friends and we all comment on each other's posts.

4. I loves what I loves. My dollzone boys are quite common sculpts, but I've seen only one or two other Wang Zis in the galleries. Everyone swarmed over Luo and Kamau, but I fell head over heels for Evan. I don't really care what anonymous people on the net think of the sculpts I love, I only care that they are the ones I want.

And boy do I spam those boys! hahahahaha

5. My first doll (and only for that matter) is a Dollzone Yue. The company is popular, but I think there is only 2 or 3 other Yues on this site. I actually kind of like that though. I can't imagine having say... a DoD Homme Ducan, because he's just so popular. He wouldn't feel like mine because it'd be hard to have a sense of unique-ness with such a common mold.

That's just what I imagine anyways, my opinion and whatnot.

6. I can't understand why people don't love the catish! Your Persian, is my #1 fave doll of your little family, Che! :aheartbea

Anyway, when I got my AE Yara, there were only about two others on the board. It made me feel special to have a doll few people have. There are so few Yaras to compare her with, she can really stand out. I make sure to post pics of her whenever we have a productive shoot and I always get nice comments (while few, they are enough to make me happy). I would never have a popular mold that would just fade into the back ground. Ever. I am the type of person who always wants to be as different as possible!

7. I would rather have an unpopular doll! :D It's nice to go to meets and know that not everyone has the same mould as you. Sure it's awesome seeing how different everyone's interpretation of a mould is, but sometimes it's great to just have one of those dolls that people say "wow, I've never seen one of those before!!" :)

8. I love and prefer having unpopular Molds. When there are less about, its easier to make them more unique and odd. Odd is good. Having said that, my 'boy of the moment' is a Migidoll Ryu who isn't exactly unpopular but I love him all the same XD

I haven't seen another Feeple Rona boy ever and I've only seen 2 or 3 Female Rona's on here. I've seen one other Pixydoll Dino.

9. I buy a doll because he or she makes my heart sing. Both my Elfdoll Aden and my Zaoll Muse aren't popular dolls but I adore them.

10. Some of my dolls are quite unpopular and two are even off-topic, but I bought them because I find them enchanting. I enjoy them immensely and don't worry if anyone else likes them or not. When looking through the gallery, I often skip over posts of "popular" dolls because I would rather seek out the odd and unusual.

11. It really just comes down to what do you like? If you like a certain doll that isn't popular...so what? It's your money, your doll, who cares what others really think. I mean Sure it's nice to have your dolls appreciated and all, but like others have said if you take the time with the face-up and wig and dress any doll can come out looking fantastic.

12. I love to search out unusual and unpopular molds- they are so interesting to see, especially since they rarely pop up!

I have an AoD Mo, which is very uncommon ... I think I have only seen one other Mo here on the boards, but that doesn't make me love him any less than I do. Only reason I have not spammed him as much as my Suntan Pado boy (I don't see too many of them either, but I wouldn't say he's that unpopular) is mainly because his clothes are still in progress and he needs new elastic. Once he's ready I plan on spamming the hell out of him, regardless of whether or not he gets comments. Why? Because he's awesome.

I feel posting unpopular or unusual molds is a great way to expose people to new dolls they may not see otherwise and may even persuade them to get their own.
      So no one should feel discouraged because they don't get comments or that they never see more of their mold anywhere. Your doll is beautiful- regardless of its popularity- and don't let anyone make you think otherwise :)

13. Actually, I'm more inclined to post gallery pics of my less popular dolls than the ones that are. Whenever I planned on getting a new doll that just happened to be popular--great! It's so easy to find various owners' pics and that helped me decide whether or not I wanted the doll after all. When a doll I had in mind wasn't popular, that really sucked because there weren't as many owners' pics to find. I hope by posting gallery pics of my less popular dolls it might help some people out there with their dolly decisions.

As for owning unpopular dolls, it's something I can't help. I saw the characters' faces in those sculpts and it's dumb to feel like I needed to find another sculpt just because the one that struck a chord just happened to be unpopular. :P

14. About half the dolls I own are either unpopular or common. Looking at them makes me happy, so I do not care.

I don't post too many pics in the gallery because I am a fairly craptastic photographer, but you might be surprised how many people admire your 'unpopular dolls'... I own a Volks Shinsiya... even before the more realistic dolls became prevalent, she was considered a bit strange with her giant bug eyes. Still, every so often, I will come across a person who really loves this sculpt, and I have had 2 people tell me that seeing my Sterling made them get a Shinsiya for themselves, and this was after she was discontinued by Volks, so they had to do some work to find her.

Not getting a lot of comments in gallery posts doesn't mean that someone isn't looking at and liking you dolls, it just means that they didn't comment for what ever reason.

(Plus, if your pictures are huge and take forever to load, I personally click away unless I really want to look. I try to reduce mine to 100k or less.)

*edit: changed to 100k from 100mgs... I am an idiot :sweat)

15. My two cents: In my life so far if I ever have to ask myself "DO I need to be offended?" then the answer is Nope. Not worth the bother. I'm having fun.

And yeah, I have unusual dolls, but I've never gotten a lukewarm response with them when I take them out or post their pics. Sure, there's a lot less "OMG THAT is soo kawaaii that is totally my fave BJD ever and s/he is so pretty/hot/bishy".
      But I tend to look at that as a plus. People usually say something more like, "Wow, I have never seen a doll that looks like that. I didn't think they could look like that, how cool!" Which, me being me, is the kind of reaction I really enjoy. I like feeling as if I've done something more unusual. I've always been the kind of person who enjoys standing out a little.
      If that's not your thing, maybe you'd prefer the more widely-owned dolls, but if you like to stand out, go for the unusual sculpts!

16. I have two unpopular girls but I love them,they are special and different. There are many dolls and I think they must be different, variety is the best !

17. Unpopular dolls are rare and more unique, I think. Be proud of your taste in dolls and don't worry about popularity contests, I say!

You may not get lots of response, but there are others who are interested in seeing dolls that aren't often posted or shown at meetups.

I know there are a few dolls that don't seem to show up here or at meetups that I love seeing, anyway! --and I don't always comment in the Gallery threads, but I'm certainly LOOKING.

It may feel better to some people when they have a popular doll and seem to get more attention, but when it comes down to it, it's YOUR doll and YOUR attention is all that really matters!!!

18. Personally, I like having unusual dolls though I do have a number of the more popular molds as well. I didn't buy them because they were popular but simply because there was something about them that called to me. And that's the same reason I bought my less popular dolls, they simply spoke to me. I have a Dollmore Lillis Liv, which I almost never see though she's been around forever, & I absolutely adore her & couldn't imagine parting with her.

It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks of the dolls you love. Sure, it's nice to get responses to posts but in the end it simply comes down to what makes your own heart beat fast.

19. From what I've noticed in my collection and those I hope to own in the future, aside from my two DoD boys pretty much all sculpts I fall in love with are unpopular. I suppose it makes sense since they all share a similar style that I adore, and I guess that style isn't as popular as well, the popular molds.

More often than not it doesn't bother me in the slightest since I quite like owning something a bit 'rarer', it makes them stand out all the more to me and even more unique (hence why I take extra pains in attempting to modify my DoD boys to be as different from default as I can stand). I would say the only downfall is not having many owner pics to look at when I'm deciding on someone new such as the Elysium Jamie head I'm currently coveting, or DiM's Andrea and Lloyd...hell, I have trouble finding more than a handful of Musedoll Re-Che's!

I don't post many pics to begin with and I find it's troublesome on both end of the spectrums. Either you post a popular doll that everyone has seen and no longer cares to look at, or you post an unpopular doll that no one has heard of and so skips over. It's sort of a double edges sword. Sure, sometimes at meet-ups or whatever it can be kind of disheartening if no one things what you've worked on is worthy to look at, but in the end I know my unpopular boy is drop-dead gorgeous, so who really cares if some stranger skips past him? Their huge loss, not mine ;)

20. I don't really care if my dolls happen to be popular or unpopular sculpts, if I like them it's because they fit into my personal aesthetic taste. I enjoy my dolls because I like how they look, and not whether people are likely to pay attention to them or not.
      I am planning to change one of my and 'upgrade' him to a mold that happens to be more popular than the sculpt he is now. However popularity of molds is not the driving force of why I've decided to do so, it's a personal change in taste and want of a better posing doll.
      I think though, that searching for attention and praise based on what sculpt your doll is isn't quite the best way to handle this hobby and you're not likely to get as much enjoyment out of it if you are constantly worrying about what everyone else thinks. In the end you should get dolls that you like, regardless of whether that sculpt will be fawned over or not and other's opinions.