1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

owning the not so popular molds

Jul 18, 2009

1. I am quite happy to read that I'm not the only one, I posted the topic because I'm genuinly interrested in the feelings other owners have, of course I love my dolls to bits! and don't care that much if my darlings get skimmed or ignored, there are plenty of people arround who do like to see them. It is funny to find out about yourself that sometimes comments or no comments do bother you.

2. Honestly I have found I am SO attracted to artist's sculpts that I rarely want to buy a doll from a large company. I mean I have a Yeon Ho and I love him to bits but most of the head sculpts I've fallen in love with are from short order runs from individual artists and not many people have them / like them at all. (Like I want an Ego Project Keath, I have a Ricky Helios on the way, two AIR heads on the way... not a lot of people are going to have them) Sometimes I wonder what the response to them will be when I have them all home and together. Like if they'll like them or just skip over them because they're not Volks or Luts... I dunno. XD But you're totally not the only one!

3. I have a Angel of Dream guaiguai. Yep. Your probably thinking what the heck? He's an adorable sculpt with eyes closed and honestly. My first BJD and he's my little world. Not many people like the sculpt. Not many people like AoD. But that doesnt stop me loving him in my own special way. I'll always love him and though he dreadfully needs a faceup (after I tidy my mess of a room perhaps) I'll always love him :33

4. I only have two dolls...one quite popular and one not-so popular. I bought them both because I loved them and they 'spoke' to me...thier popularity or lack of it wasn't a factor. Galleries are huge here and oftentimes I won't comment even on pictures I love if I can't find anything new to say...I bet that happens a lot...:)

5. Some of my dolls aren't really populair molds. And by populair I mean how much I can find on DoA. But I don't care what others think of them. I like them. They are based on my taste and everyone's taste is different, right?

The most important thing is that YOU love them. Since they are your dolls and they only need to make YOU happy and not the rest of the world. :)

6. I actually prefer to have a doll that everyone doesn't have. I avoid the doll "du jour" that attracts many. All that matters is that *you* like the doll, whether deemed popular or not. It's nice to have responses to your posts, but if not, don't let that stop you from enjoying and sharing your dolls.

7. I would be proud owning a not so popular mold! Who cares does other people like it or not, if I like it, it's good enough. Besides, I'd rather own a not so popular mold than a really popular one because the rarer mold truly is unique.

8. I am not bothered. I have Petite Prince in my house. I think there are only like less than 5 on DOA :lol::lol:

It does not bother me at all - in fact, doesn't that just make your doll unique and RARE!!!! Oh the satisfaction of owing a super rare doll :aheartbea:aheartbea:aheartbea LOL LOL LOL

Never let what others think bother you!!!! This is a hobby for you to do what you want and to own what you want.

9. I get a kick out of people saying they didn't recognize the sculpt, because they "normally hate it" but like this one. :lol: Even if they still don't like the sculpt much, I like to think they've at least had their horizons broadened just by an inch.

10. I happened to stumble onto a Fantasy Doll Nina on the MoC website and found something about her very appealing. I had a heck of a time finding pictures or even anyone who had one to tell me about quality, etc. I finally took the leap and she is actually a very pretty, although unique-looking doll, and her quality is way better than the price would indicate.

That said.... I don't know if I've ever posted her picture here. Oops.

11. my first doll (and only for the moment) is a Souldoll Bling Tiny, which isnt a very popular mold. (understandable considering the creepy as all hell photos souldoll put up *shutters*)
      i couldnt find ANY owner pics to help me see what she could look like, so i ended up having a friend photoshop the souldoll pic with smaller colored eyes. then after seeing THAT pic and her smile, i was sold.
      here eyes are a bit bigger then most molds, shes supposed to have 18mm even though shes (mature) msd sized. so without her eyes, or with the wrong color, shed look like an alien. O_O
      i gave her 16mm eyes and she looks much more normal now, if a bit anime-ish, b ut i still get comments about her eyes being to big.
      i love her to death though, and so far in person people ether dont notice her or i get positive feedback from the few that do know her mold.
      it is a bit of a downer not getting as many comments or replys as some of the more popular molds, but im happy knowing that my girls unique, and it makes me that much more excited when i see another "tiny" out there, and seeing what they did with the mold.

12. All other things being equal, I almost always choose the less popular sculpt, just because it's fun to have something 'different'. I tend to seek out dolls that have a bit of 'ugly' to them anyway, just for the extra challenge of making them beautiful anyway. So much "pretty-cute and perfect" all the time is boring to me. I've been a doll collector for way too long! XD

Raven

13. I find myself looking more and more at "unpopular" sculpts, though I have several very popular ones on my wish list. It's difficult trying to decide if you're going to take the leap when you can't find any owner pics at all. I tried in vain to get owner pictures of Unidoll Suri here, and eventually took her off my wish list when I finally found some different shots on eBay. I always appreciate it when folks post their rare dolls in the gallery and seek them out. I'll try to be better about commenting on them in the future.

14. Most of my dolls tend to be unpopular molds, as my tastes just seem to go that way. Even with my popular molds I tend to have different ideas about how I want them to look than the norm. I love searching out for elusive sculpts in the gallery, it's great to see those scuplts you don't see around very often. I've also made some friends searching for people who own the same scuplts as me, it's great to see what they've done with them. :)

15. To me my dolls are beautiful and amazing but when I take pictures I get barely any response. I understand how you feel. I guess it's not about other peoples opinions when it comes to these dolls.
      I have two bobobie dolls an Elf sprite and Elf Song and nobody seems to like them very much but to me they are beautiful.

16. I enjoy unpopular molds, there's something about a face that isn't picture perfect that I'm drawn to. I like for my dolls to have something weird/interesting about their faces, and for me each of my dolls has something different and appealing about them, popular or not.

Popular dolls are nice because they get lots of attention, but it can also get aggravating because they're always stealing the spotlight. I consider most of my dolls to be about middle of the road when it comes to popularity, with a couple more rare ones (my Glorydoll Lucy and Leekeworld Milch come to mind), but then I have a wildly popular doll that always gets all the attention: Tarot, my Sard. I could do photoshoots of my girls all day long and get little to no comments on them, but let me throw Tarot into the mix and everything changes! The last time I took him to a meet up, people went crazy over him. It must be good to be Tarot. XD But at the end of the day, I don't resent whatever attention one of them gets over the other because I love all of them. It's just entertaining to see the varied reactions. :)

17. lol. I believe there are less than 10 Dollmore Kara owners on this board O_o actually yeah, they're countable on my fingers. xD What's popularity anyways? Just because you dont share the same tastes as many others, it doesn't make anyone inferior in any way :} You bought your dolls to admire. Of course, it is nice sometimes to get fawning attention, but i think searching for it purposefully is too superficial for me, imho.

I too, hardly get any replies or hits for my photos or artwork in general. >w>;;; All my life lol. It sucks a bit to feel so overlooked, but I know my friends always appreciate it when I post, so I post to share with them instead of aiming to please the mass uncaring public lol. Such is the world. Actually 8U I really only share my photos with about 3 close people. If im feeling confident, maybe I'll post into a thread like a meet-up that I was at, but that's about it. And then I obsess over how good he looks all by myself haha xDDDD;; IRL Judas receives many compliments n_n <3 But beautiful dolls already know that they're beautiful ;] They don't always need people to confirm it.

Besides, the world even on DoA is very small. There could be many others out there that people don't know about >w<

18. I went back to search for info about my rare girl, and I found out that a lot of people really hated her lips. Which is wierd, cause I love them. Of course, it could be that I have her as a girl, and the Souldoll Marvin sculpt was originally released as a boy. I've seen or heard of ownership of 3, maaaaaybe 4 other Marvin heads here on DoA. It was a standard release mold, but it looks like there just weren't that many ever bought before it was discontinued. :(

19. I think Catish Vnu is not too popular. I love mine. Her face is so unusual and the expression is intense in a moody way. She's one of my fave molds.

20. Oh, post them! post them!!

I *love* looking at unusual dolls. Almost none of mine are anything particularly unusual but my gosh. As much as I adore an El face, they're everywhere. Show us the things that you have to go out of your way to find!

I have to admit that I really don't know what a Baal looks like!