1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

owning the not so popular molds

Jul 18, 2009

1. Buy what you like. Post what you like.

It's as simple as that.

It's silly to allow your preferences... positive or negative... to be dictated by other collectors' opinions. If you make that mistake, you'll end up with dolls that you aren't happy with.

... And for what it's worth, having "popular" sculpts (Of either the current Flavor-of-the-Week variety or the formerly-popular-turned-"SO last year!"-type) isn't really any different when it comes to comments on Gallery threads. Just look at how many people in this thread and in others like it say things like, "Oh, I'd never click on a thread with an El/School A/Miho/Soom Monthly/etc doll. They're all just so common and boring." ;)

2. i really couldn,t care less what other people might think of my dolls, if they like them ore not, it,s important how you feel about them!

3. I have a Soulkid Katie.A and there don't seem to be too many people who have them. I think she gets a relatively decent response due to the lack of people who actually own them.

I've only made one thread here more pictures exclusive of my doll, (her box opening thread) and it has a lot of views. It could possibly be because not as many people have this doll (or other unpopular dolls) that some are more inclined to look at a thread when there is one.

Try not to feel so shy about posting pictures of your doll.^^

4. Since I haven't made any gallery threads on DoA as of yet aside from box-opening pictures (my digital camera died long before I could improve photography skills, lol), I don't know what large groups of people think of my dolls. Frankly, it's not much of an issue for me.

I own a Bluefairy Xiao and a Minoruworld Clare, both of which are relatively obscure sculpts. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm one of the first Clare owners on DoA and also one of the first to have a non-LE BF Full Blossom body. There aren't that many MW Junior owners and having mature bodies for BFs seem rather unpopular, but I'm content with my dolls and I don't mind being the person who demonstrates their potential on sculpt-specific discussion threads.

I also have a couple of "popular" dolls on my wishlist, but again, their popularity doesn't serve as a deterrent. If anything, it's their size and price. :sweat

5. I think most of my dolls are rather unpopular except the unoa and puki, but I love them all and that's why I bought them in the first place :)

6. I like having dolls that aren't dime-a-dozen, either. I have dolls that a few people own, but I don't have any that tons of people own (I don't think?) Even the more common sculpts I do have, I try to do something a bit different with than other people do. I think my most uncommon ones are my AF Lily and my Unidoll UH-13. I love Janie, my AF Lily. She doesn't represent any character I've created, but I just can't entertain the thought of selling her, despite the fact she doesn't inspire me for writing. She's just too cute and she can literally wear anything and look good. And the UH-13 is a really beautiful sculpt. There are maybe four others out there who have posted on DOA, at least. My girl is #29 of 200, and I'm pretty sure 200 weren't made, since they discontinued the line shortly after I got her. I lot of the Uni Limited dolls were really unique and the few I have seen around DOA look fantastic. It's just too bad that they weren't more popular.

7. I really like it when the doll I like happens to be not as popular ;)

of course that doesn't always happen...

8. I'm sure my DollnDoll Loren isn't a very popular, or well known doll. Lol.
      But it doesn't bother me. I love her to pieces! And that's all that really matters! Everyone is going to have their opinion on certain dolls. People are going to like them, and people just aren't. And they have a right to. But if someone doesn't like your doll 'cause it isn't popular.. That's just dumb. But it's their opinion. If they don't like the mold, good for them, a better reason. But again, it's their opinion. You shouldn't feel discouraged by them.
      I haven't heard any sort of rude comment about my DollnDoll Loren, specifically. A lot of people have told me she is a very pretty or beautiful doll. And I just focus on those comments. Never focus or take into consideration the bad comments.

Edit: Though, I've actually, also, lost interest in some dolls because I've seen them around a lot. Like Luts Lishe. I do still really like that doll. But I don't think I would want to buy her. You just see her around like, EVERYWHERE. Lol. But I did find a mold that reminds me a lot like her, and absolutely love her! So, now I'm planning on getting that doll.. Eventually. XD

9. I think my whole crew could be labeled as not very popular. There aren't many of them advertised on the board---as far as I can tell. I love them just the same as their uniqueness makes them even more endearing.

10. I have a very popular sculpt (Migidoll Ryu) and a sculpt almost no one has (Souldoll Tae - as far as I know, only one other DoA member has him). I thought at first that nobody would really be interested in my Tae because he's a rarely seen sculpt, and has a kind of specific/intense look, not sure how to explain it. However, he's managed to accumulate some fans on deviantART and other doll owners I meet are often interested and ask me what sculpt he is because they've never seen him before. Oddly enough, my Ryu has received less attention!

I think you should get whatever dolls you want! You may find that the rarely seen sculpts end up drawing more positive reactions than you might think!

11. I think the doll hobby should be about owning dolls that you yourself enjoy, rather than owning dolls that are going to get the attention of a group. Therefore, I buy the sculpts I like and couldn't care less if they're popular or not. It honestly doesn't even factor into my thinking. Given how much the dolls cost, I'm buying it for me, and not to make any group of strangers happy with my purchase.

12. I think loving a type of doll that isn't so popular is something to be proud of, as it shows that you're capable of appreciating a different type of beauty than most people.
      I can understand being brought down by underwhelming responses to picture posts, but in the end it's more about /you/ loving your dolls than what other people think, right? :3

13. You know, he doesn't look like a Volks to me, more like a Luts. He is drop dead beautiful!!! What's not to like? Spam away!

I too, have unpopular dolls, Dollmore Kid Ujee and Calvin, Angel of Dream Chen, Volks Kohaku and Dollfie Dreams. I have a Camillia Dynasty Om Limited (and sold out) coming online soon. How many DIM Lloyds have you seen? He's on my wish list.

Get what you like and ONLY what you like, If you try to have a popular sculpt ONLY because everyone has one, you may be dissapointed.

14. I don't think that other's feeling towards a certain doll should make you ashamed of owning them and prevent you from taking pictures. I own a tan Limhwa Half-Elf and I think counting myself there are about eight on the borad.

And I find that shocking because I think she's so beautiful. I also have a Gentle Soo Ri and I haven't seen to many of those either. Now on the other hand I have a Shiwoo. And when I got him not that many people had him, and it seems that everyone owns a Shiwoo.

So for me, I like having scuplts that aren't that "popular." I feel that the gallery can become oversaturated with a certain mold. I would love to see more Volks Ruby, but it's really hard to find her.

15. Omg, pleeeaaase make tons of gallery posts featuring your Ujee! He's one of my favorite male MSD sculpts of all time, but I'm afraid to buy him because his body is so childish and the rest of my MSDs are mature.

But more to the topic, I think one of the wonderful things about BJD culture is that there are so many sculpts and relatively few collectors at this time. Even if you took the entire population of DoA and divided it by the number of available sculpts out there, assuming everyone was spread out evenly there couldn't be more than 10 of the same doll (warning: my estimation is nowhere near scientific, lol). But there does tend to be favoritism, as in El, Shiwoo, and numerous DOD sculpts. Truth be told, though, out of most other dolls, I'd be hard pressed to find more than 10 owners on the board.

Of course, I think that these wildly popular sculpts do get a lot more face time in the Gallery, and get a lot more responses because other owners of those sculpts are naturally attracted to them. It's unfortunate, but there will always be the rest of us who think that a DM Ujee or Souldoll Katie.A are infinitely more interesting than just another Shiwoo, and will gravitate towards those threads instead. :)

As with anything that's popular, there will always be a push back. I actually find myself avoiding Shiwoos in the Gallery, because it's more than likely that the pictures will just bore me and ultimately be a waste of time to look at. Sorry if that sounds harsh. :sweat

16. I thought that one of the things about this hobby was sharing enjoyment. My doll doesn't have to be a popular mold. I enjoy both my dolls and I hardly ever see their molds on this or any site. I did fall in love with a doll that happens to be a popular mold, but it was just co-incidence. Popular.. not popular.. its the love that matters.

17. Ever heard of the phrase 'a face only a mother could love'? Well, you bought that doll because you saw something wonderful in it, didn't you? You dress the way you do regardless of what other people say (or should)... it's the same thing. You love your doll, that's all that matters.

18. I'll agree with this, as I'm guilty. The first thing I always search for in the galleries is the Elfdolls. The Reds first, of course..and I admit to almost never looking at Els or any of the more popular sculpts out there. Nothing against the popular sculpts or their owners, but they just don't do anything for me, personally.

19. I've always wondered if the mold [written in little square brackets like so ^^] influences whether people click. I've often got no replies on photos I'm very pleased with of my Angel Fantasy boy, who is a sculpt there's (I think) less than 5 of on DoA. But I don't have a more 'popular' sculpt to compare, so it could be my photography or style or something.

Still, no replies can be a bit disheartening :(

20. Owning an unpopular mold, and purchasing a doll almost nobody owns could be a good chance to show the others how beautiful they could be.
      I have Napidolls, Dolkot Bera and DZ Nina that very few owners have, and not so popular molds like Luts Moon.
      I know, I will never get the same comments and appreciations that the most liked molds have, but it could be useful for people interested in the same doll who look for pictures.
      I like discovering, and betting on uncommon features: the more peculiar a doll is, the more I am likely to choose it.
      Napidoll Aesh is one of my beloved because of his nose, mounth and eyes: I don't care if he's one of the few there, I am really fond :D
      Feeling ashamed or worried shouldn't be a problem at all: if you have any doll, you are allowed to show to the people, no matter what you have. Maybe someday you will get so many thanks, because you helped someone to discover the perfect doll that suits his/her character :)