1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

owning the not so popular molds

Jul 18, 2009

1. I've just ordered an Elfdoll Tasha who, for some explicable reason, isn't popular at all. In fact, I've only seen one gallery thread for her and I believe only about 3/4 people on the board own her.

I find her very striking, which of course is all that matters, and I can't wait for her to arrive but I do wonder why she isn't popular since she'd sold out on the Elfdoll website :?

Plus being enthusiastic about an unpopular/uncommon mold means that there are less photos to coo over around the board :(

2. Sometimes the lack of response to posts make me a little sad. Since I've had many here no one's said anything but my friend ): But It doesn't stop me from posting. I love my dolls and will show them off at any chance I get.

I like all the weird dolls anyway. I'd rather them stay unpopular. I like having the only mold of something at meets :3

3. My NotDoll Lab NariPon Toadstool arrived yesterday. I gave her a face up. She is so ugly it is adorable. When I looked her up on DoA, only about 3 people admitted to owning a Toadstool. So I guess I am one of the very few. But I love her despite her making that weird face. My favorite part of giving her face up was painting her teeth. She's such an angry little girl... I just want to placate her.

4. It can sometimes be a tad disheartening when you post up your pictures and don't get my responses(I know well of this!) but at least they are out there to share with the world and sometimes it takes months but your thread will usually get some love. It's true that it seems like the more popular molds get more attention, but it's just because people like seeing them and things like Soom MDs always get a lot of attention because they are rare..same with a lot of LEs.

But, as everyone seems to have said, there is no need to get upset over it. We all love what we love and it doesn't matter if it's popular or not. ^-^ I sometimes think I'm the only one who owns an AE Alice.. -laughs-

5. My favorite dolls, the Secretdoll Baby Fairies, are rarely discussed or seen--there is a thread, but only about 6 of us ever post there. It doesn't upset me, I like having dolls that are unusual and more "rare" than a doll that hundreds of others own.

6. Who cares what others think of your doll?

I know that my DD isn't exactly popular because the 'Goth thing' isn't in anymore, but I'm a Goth and I create goth clothes for my doll. I'm not going to stop being or creating what I love because of what a few(or a lot of) people think. Neither should you!

;)

7. most of the time I don't care that much, they're my darlings after all. but every nowand again it just plain annoys me XD you know? you take time and effort to make some decent pics, and then realize, ow wait, its not a soom md I have here.. and then I'm a little disheartened to actually post.
      I love quirky dolls, everyone should ! 8D

8. I very much want to buy a BBB Luna simply for the fact that she is so unpopular and considered sort of a "train wreck" so i can really have some thing to make my own and have a bit of a challenge, you know?

9. My girl's a limited, so she's pretty uncommon. Also she took almost 6 months to sell out, even though there were only 30 of her! I'm glad for that though, it gave me enough time to save up. :)

10. Haha while DOD's products are adorable, I noticed there aren't too many Toos.

Which is fine by me. I love him, and I hope to love him when he arrives.:)

11. i own a lot of unpopular dolls..... i am drawn to the unusual, unloved sculpts.... and the way i customize them is not for everyone..... but i have become known for my off-beat collection, and now get support in my choices. my advice to you, or anyone else worried about their unpopular dolls.... show them with pride.... if you love them and show them... then others will grow to love them too...... :)

12. I'm not really sure why some dolls are unpopular, like Luts' SDF Fia that rainwaltz mentioned and SDF Camilla, which was the first doll I bought. Both are limiteds, and therefore rare, but they don't garner rave reviews. I'm pretty certain I was the first one to order Fia from the Luts english site last year too. I absolutely adore my girls though, and I don't regret buying them for a moment.

I don't mind if people don't rave over my pictures. I look at a lot more pictures than I post in other people's threads, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that. I think I'm more disappointed that more people don't want Camilla too. Her counterpart Ethan flew off the shelves, but she's turning into a LE bluestocking. Poor girl.

I didn't buy either Camilla or Fia because I thought they were unusual or unloved, which is an attraction Miss Ally mentioned. Has anyone else bought a doll, especially if it is a new release, and been surprised that it wasn't more popular?

13. Sure, my Timothy (Gomidoll Iru-HS). Of course, there weren't many of them to begin with, but there are dolls out there who are rare and still very popular. When I post pictures of my other dolls I usually get 20-30 replies, when it's Timothy I should be happy if I get 2.
      I just don't get it: To me he's the cutest doll out there and he's my favorite. Apparently others think differently. Doesn't change my opinion of him though.

14. I'm surprised that Angell Studio dolls aren't more popular. I suppose partly it's because the company is a newer one. The french resin is gorgeous, and the Gus sculpt is extremely cute and versatile. I bought my Gus because I wanted a very pretty, feminine boy -- (which seems to be popular thing here on DoA ;)) -- and he was the prettiest I'd ever seen.

One thing about owning a less popular doll is that it actually encourages me to post pictures. Owner photos are really important when I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a doll, because I want to see the sculpt in different angles and lights. I posted a box-opening thread because I think there should be more Gus pictures on the forums, and it might help someone else who's considering getting one of their own.

15. I have a Souldoll Arhanian (A WHO :?) and I listed him here on the BJD Ob. I requested to see others but so far I am the only owner (or one who admits to owning one)...I love him to pieces and he was my very first BJD. Others who have seen him also thinks that he is a handsome boy so I guess it doesn't bother me that he is "OBSCURE"...I like to think of him as "UNIQUE"! :)

16. I think that's a good point. When I posted pics of my most uncommon doll I didn't get a big response, but there was one person that said she was glad to see pics of him and and then asked some questions about my dealings with the company who was new at the time. So, it's nice to think that even if there wasn't a lot of interest, putting the pics up still helped someone else. People not only look at the gallery for entertainment purposes, but for doing research as well.

17. I couldn't agree more! I can't tell you the number of times I have been wholly disinterested in a doll based on the company photos, but when I saw the doll in person at a meet or in owner photos, I thought they were just gorgeous!! Sometimes it's just a question of people not being introduced to something in a way that appeals to them.

Also, as a side note, I usually use gallery to search for a particular doll I'm looking for, so I am afraid I don't often look at threads for dolls I'm not familiar with. Perhaps I should re-think this!

18. I thought we got into this hobby to have unique dolls.

I prefer not to see "my" doll every time I turn around. Most of my dolls are seldom to never seen on DoA.

If you want a popular doll get a Barbie.

I own a geographically limited doll that I bought when I was in Singapore. I was miffed that Domuya double crossed me and sold a lot of 2 or 3 to Denver Doll Emporium.

That said, some of the sculpts have something magic about them. They come alive no matter how ugly the face up or how much the owner dresses it in rags. This is one of the reasons I would like to own a Unoa some day.

19. And another thing I'd like to add, in light of this and the OP: whether a sculpt is popular or unpopular doesn't always influence how much reaction your pictures will receive. I love to hang out in the Gallery to see new things. If you're skilled at photography you can make striking, original, and interesting photos of sculpts that are "unpopular" or "cheap" or "common." The photographer's skill level can make a Heliot look silly, or a Bobobie Luna look sensational.

20. That's not necessarily true though. I'm an able photographer, not the best out there but I take decent pictures. Like I said some posts back it means that for my other dolls I usually get quite a few replies, yet the same quality of photo's doesn't help me when Timothy is the subject in the shoot.
      I think we sometimes just have to accept that some dolls are unknown and get overlooked in a gallery moving as fast as the one on DoA. Doesn't mean we love them any less.