1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

[....Oyaji? The Old Man] (mature, older-looking head sculpts)

Oct 3, 2005

1. While i understand where you are coming from, i have to disagree. I have seen plenty of figures, of many varying sizes done to be older people. Marvel made an action figure of Aunt May, and many other companies have done it with other characters. In fact, i am not sure what company made them, but there was a doll line called "The Heart Family", and they made a mother, a father, babies, as well as a grandmother and grandfather, which actually had sculpted wrinkles and such.

If they can sculpt dolls with wolf-hair' (The soom Chrom), or dolls with very delicate fins, (Soom Cass) then i'm sure dolls could be sculpted to resemble people of a much older age range. :) Its just going to take a talented person who understands the physics of what those people look like. What skin feels like at that age, as well as the physics of gravity on our bodies as we age.

Not to mention, just doing the face-up to make the doll look 'older' really doesn't work to me...i've seen it done, but it never really looks proper. The hands and body still look youthful and straight, whereas, they just wouldn't in a woman of her 70's or 80's. with the hands, u could probably see the carpals of her hands, the knuckles a bit more, and her spine, most likely would NOT be perfectly straight at that age. Sure, it would take alot of work, but it would without a doubt, not be impossible.

2. well you could also bring it to a moddifyer...they could fix it up....

now that i think of it i want a grandma dolly...

3. Oops, sorry, i didn't mean to add another idea to your want-list LOL However, That would be modification that might be hard to do. I'm not sure. I'd have to see it done. But I can't forsee modding doing it all...i think it would have to have a good base to age upon...like if maybe they MADE one that was a woman in her 70's, turning it into a woman who was more like 170. :)

4. The face would be easie it's the body i'm wondering about...

a hunched over and not overly done in the breast department...a slight sag looking? God's that would be hard....

5. Agreed, it would be hard, but for a talented sculptor, that knows his anatomy, i can guarantee you, it wouldn't be impossible! :)

She'd probably have to be an odd size too. I've never seen a 5'10 little old woman LOL Maybe in the realm of a 55cm? Smalling maybe?

I'm thinking in the area of her breasts, she'd still wear a bra LOL So they could be sculpted to give that effect under her clothing. No need for too much 'sag'. Unless your poor dollie is going around bra-less lol Maybe just a tiny bit to demonstrate her age. but not so much that everyone is like "OMG, GROSS!!! LoL

6. that could work....gods i want to see somthing like this!

But as we all know Old anint to pritty...i wish we could petision

7. oh, i disagree!! I think old can be lovely! It's just a matter of how it's depicted. LOL But i'd like to see a 'not so pretty' old, and a very mature, quite 'lovely' old. :) I thought my grandmother was absolutely lovely for a woman of 70. She took good care of herself, but the effects of time are inevitable. She did have a bit of curvature to her spine, and was a bit frail, but she did look lovely. She had such a kind, sweet face.

Hehe i keep picturing Sophia, from Golden Girls LOL She was so adorable!

I think if i had a doll of a woman of this age bracket, i'd TOTALLY buy her some of those knitted sweaters, or shawls. THAT would be so cute! Maybe glasses with the little dangling necklace chains from the bars :)

8. Granny Weatherwax. I would love to do Granny Weatherwax.

9. Sorry, u made soda shoot out of my nose LMAO i almost choked there, i couldn't help it..that sounded SO very wrong.... lol
      haha and where are you from in Oklahoma?? I grew up in Beggs oklahoma, which is about 30 miles south of Tulsa. :) But i did finish my senior year in Mannford.

10. thats a realy cool idea :) i would love to have an old doll cool :)

11. While I think it would be cool to have much older characters, I wouldn't buy a super old doll. I pay too much for them, and I think a very old doll would lack versatility, and I like my dolls to look youthful and beautiful. I think if you really wanted an elderly doll, you could have a minimee head done, and just have the character in loose clothes to hide the young body. There is also nobilitydoll's service of sculpting a whole doll custom to your specifications ^_^

12. I love the idea of an older doll to resinate all of the characters we have which are older! If sometimes seems weird, that a hobby which to a certain extent relies on people creating characters and stories around the dolls themselves, has dolls of a very limited age range (to my mind most petering out around 20, with the odd one or two able to 'look' older)
      If we think they're capable of sculpting something that looks older (and the soom monthly's to seem to point to the fact that these artists can, and do present very fine detail in their scupts, and come from cultures where the elderly are far more revered than ours (I think) then it does pose the question- why haven't they made older sculpts, is it simply a 'no market' issue, or is it an issue with the 'dolls' themselves representing eternal youth...
      No, you've got me totally intrigued! I think old dolls would be the best thing ever, and there is a beauty in fragility and age, and I think the BJD artists out there would be able to convey that.

13. It's not something I would personally buy but I would be very interested in seeing the results and a bit more diversity.

14. You could always get a Minimee. But then you have the problem of sticking it on that young body. Clothes to the neck, but the body profile would still read young.

15. Almost all of the minimees, even the ones of young people, look like they are much older dolls because they're so hyper realistic that even the light wrinkling we all have makes them look very old compared to other dolls. I would say that is your best bet to go if you really want an older looking sculpt.

I personally wouldn't want one because I like my dolls to have anime aesthetics and unless the character is a wizened old obaasan who looks like she is 2 feet tall compared to everyone else, even the much older characters generally look around the same age as everyone else.

16. You've never seen a 5'10" old woman? My great-grandmother was 5'11" and the shortest of 9. Too bad I didn't see any of those genes. :(

I still maintain that Soom Cass looks like Glenn Close, whom I've never known as anything but "old." I'd say Cass was 55, easily. I think it has to do with the softness of her face, like it looks as though it lost some of its elasticity.

But I have no use for older dolls and don't want any. I much prefer dolls who look like they could be my age or younger. Forever young or some crap like that.

17. Hmmmm, I just can't look at cass and think "55". I guess I just don't see that. However, I don't think she looks 19 either. Lol. It does seem however, that a representation of a much older person would be relatively desired. I wonder if I should get the ball rolling with nobility doll to do an older character?

18. I just don't think it's possible to do it in a way that looks good. And with 'good' I don't mean 'pretty'. I just think that it would end up looking very, very fake and stiff.

19. I think it is a reflection on our ideals of beauty. Just like how most models tend to be in their teens to 20s, most BJDs (at least the non-children ones) tend to be the same. I don't understand why we can't have a wider range of looks represented as beautiful. Most people do not look like models in their teens or twenties and even for the small percentage that do eventually it will pass.

I think there would be some market for an older BJD, probably enough to make it worth casting one. I know there are older looking dolls in categories besides BJDs.

20. Yeah, I saw a lot of people ragging on Cass for looking "too old". Personally I think she's got a handsome, gorgeous face. To me she looks regal, but not much more than in her mid thirties, tops.

Ithink the idea of older dolls is great, though I don't have an idea for one myself. My Bobobie Weylin once was given a wig and eyes which made him look really old, all he needed were some wrinkled and whatnot :P. I changed it up, though, he's just not an oldie to me.