1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Packing your dolls away for Summer? (Or exteme heat/humidity waves)

Jun 4, 2010

1. Thanks for all the replies- I'm new to the doll scene still, so I'm not up to speed on anything. Definitely don't want to hurt her, and would rather not carry her around either. I can only imagine turning a corner and hitting her bag on something!!

Yeah, I definitely am not going shopping tomorrow then. I really shouldn't anyhow- I should be saving my money!

It's supposed to be 93 during the day...ick.

2. Personally, I never leave anything in my car.

But if need be, I would make sure I had the face cover and and the box (Maybe with some extra bubble wrap to ease my paranoia.)
      And If I'm out of the car, keep her in the trunk, so people don't know shes there, and can't break into a window and steal them.
      And also to keep them out of sunlight.

3. I have left dolls in a car (only ever in parking garages) in extreme heat for well over 6 hours before with no problem whatsoever. The only thing I'd worry about was someone breaking into the car. As long as they are well-insulated, they won't get nearly as hot as the rest of the car will. I"ve never had a problem with yellowing or with resin damage.

4. Honestly, I would haul them everywhere with me in warm to hot weather. I might be okay if it was a cool fall/winter.

5. I don't own a car so l don't need to worry about it but if l was with a friend that dose drive l would take the doll with me to were every that l was going to ect.

6. I've driven around with and left dolls in my car before while the temperature has been high. Though I'm not proud of it and I surely didn't want to, no damage came from it. Despite that, I no longer leave my dolls in the car more out of concern of theft. I strongly suggest that you invest in a doll carrier. I've not had a single person stop me from taking a doll carrier into their store/restaurant/theater, etc, and it looks so harmless and common that any normal passerby would simply think it's an instrument or an art easel or something.

7. I agree with mostly everyone here. It just sounds like it would be a bad idea to leave her in the car. Even if she's big, it would be better to take her down with you rather than risk her yellowing, melting or getting stolen.

8. If you're concerned about that, remember that your carriage bag is almost certainly padded, and you can also carry the doll inside the cushions it probably came in.

As a general rule, it's best not to leave valuables in the car, be it dolls (which also suffer of heat issues), computers, expensive cameras, cool jackets, and so on, to avoid the car being broken into. And, of course, leave no living beings inside, either.

9. I might leave one of my dolls in the car if I just have to pop into the gas station or petstore for a few minutes, but only if it isn't hot in the car, and never in summer! Some of my dolls are Obitsus, which are vinyl, and besides yellowing the heat can warp the plastic. I mostly worry about someone breaking the window and stealling them, though. I have a minivan, the trunk is full of boxes usually, so my dolls ride in the front passenger seat with a seatbelt, even on long trips. ('cus seeing them there makes me happy!) Rather than leave them in the car, I've taken my dolls (just carried, no bag) in restraunts, stores, WalMart and lots of other places. I know they're safe with me, even if I get weird looks.

10. Well, I would never leave my dolls in a car when it's like, over 70 degrees out. I don't think the heat does any good to the resin. However, since I live in a cold area, I don't mind leaving my dolls in the car for short periods of time (no more than twenty minutes).

If I do leave a doll in the car, I'm usually careful to cover 'em up, just so they don't tempt any passerby's.

11. Probably not, the heat might damage a doll.

I heard that Liv Tyler left a pair of Arwen ears on the dashboard of her car when filming LotR, they melted in the heat

12. Don't leave her in the car! Heat can yellow the resin faster and potentially damage the faceup. I wouldn't leave mine in the car for even ten minutes. Why not just carry her around in the case if you wont be too long?

13. I wouldn't want to leave a doll in the car, either. I'd probably try to find a piece of rolling luggage to carry the doll.

14. A lot of people have already said this but just to drill it in your head. DO NOT. No store is worth messing up your doll! There are oher ways of doin thngs than just leaving your poor defensless dolly in a hot hot hot car. I mean, think of how you would feel if you were in that hot car!!!!

15. It...really depends on how hot it is and what kind of car you're driving. (No, this really IS pertinent, bear with me.)

If you must leave your doll in the car for any appreciable period of time in the heat (for me, appreciable period of time = more than the amount of time it takes to fill the car with gas) and your car has a trunk (i.e. not a truck/SUV/hatchback/minivan), put the doll in its carrier in the trunk as far back as you can. A car's trunk is surprisingly well-insulated, and it lacks the Instant Heat Magnifiers(tm) that we call windows. It's the windows that make the car's cabin heat up like the dickens on a warm day. I don't live in the world's hottest area (I'm about an hour and a half south of Graven up there, actually) but it's by no means cold in the summer, and today it hit just shy of 80F. I usually have a twelve-pack of soda in the trunk of my car; I went down to get a can and it was a cool room-temperature. I've left my computer in its bag in the trunk of the car in very hot weather with no problems, because the trunk of the car is a good bit cooler than the cabin. I always leave my valuables in the trunk when I'm going to be out of the car for an extended period of time, and I've always had them fare better than anything I've left in the cabin, heatwise. I don't worry about my dolls in the trunk of the car any more than I worry about them in my apartment when it's particularly hot.

As an aside...
      Can we NOT make this comparison, please? There is absolutely no comparison between leaving a DOLL in a car and leaving a CHILD in the car, and leaving an inanimate object in a car -- no matter how hot that car might get -- is nowhere near child endangerment. That, to me, trivializes the very real issue of children being left in hot cars. Thanks.

16. I actually take my dolls into stores, etc, rather than leave them in the car, with no problems. I almost always carry one wherever I go--I enjoy it, and I've had some really good conversations over my dolls! Not for everyone, but I don't leave them in the car because of heat, break-in potential, and lack of anyone else who listens as well as they do!:lol:

17. Seconding Tez about not making a comparison between leaving a real, living, pain-feeling child in a car to leaving an inanimate object in a hot car. Too many children and animals die that way.

And personally, I've left my dolls in the car many times. I just toss a blanket or a jacket over them. Sure, I worry about break ins but my car is a piece of crap without even a CD player, it's not terribly appealing! I've never had a hot car cause any yellowing. If I left it in the car for days or weeks I'm sure it could hurt the resin but one quick trip isn't likely to hurt your doll unless you put it right under the windshield in the sun.

18. I don't think leaving the doll in the car for a prolonged period in the heat would be a good idea, but Tez seems to have a good idea about storing the doll in the trunk, well back out of direct sunlight. That should be okay for, maybe, an hour.

19. Not agree to leave them in car, let her go with you.:fangirl:

20. Personally? I don't believe the car is safe to leave anything in. But then again during the summer, the heat is unbearable. I've personally been left locked inside a car for a half hour, and by the end of it I was about ready to cry simply because it was so hot! I'd never allow my doll to do the same, especially if they're locked up in a dark box in there!