1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Packing your dolls away for Summer? (Or exteme heat/humidity waves)

Jun 4, 2010

1. I might bring my girl with me tonight when I go to dinner with my parents. Hopefully I can - and hopefully, they won't mind if I have her sit with us. X3

2. I've only brought my YoSD boy with me (since he's tiny enough to fit in my bag < 3) and I have thought about leaving him in the car.

But I actually decided that nuuuu I don't think I'd ever actually leave any of my boys in my car OnO;
      First being, my car has a black interior... it doesn't haven't to be actually hot for my car to burn up XD; I could just imagine leaving my cream white boy in my car, coming back half an hour later, and having him yellowed so much he'd then be mustard colored xD!

Second, my car has been broken into before 8|;; I mean, not in a parking lot or anything, but from my OWN driveway 8|; I know it's probably extremely unlikely a thief would steal a GPS -and- a doll, but then again, would you think you'd have your own car broken into when parked "safely" in your own driveway? XD;;;

3. I will never leave my dolls in the car when it's morning/afternoon cause it's HOT in my country during that time, I'll be GAH when if I see yellowed marks on them o_____O

If it's night, then it's fine for me ;3 I'd be worry about them scaring my parents though XD

4. To start let me say that I am not a fan of the summer; I faint and get dizzy from
      very small amounts of sunlight. I have white skin and blue eyes and am just generally not meant to take in light. That being said, I may be being over cautious here.

Last night I took all my BJDs, took off their wigs and eyes, undressed them, wrapped them up in bubble wrap and white cloth, and put them in their boxes in the closet.

I am certainty going to miss having them around,but with temperatures approaching 90 degrees I though it might be a good idea to keep them somewhere safe and cool for the summer.

I hope this will reduce yellowing, and sun damage. Last year we had record heat here (110 degrees) and I do not even live in a very warm part of the U.S.

Does anyone else put their dolls away for summer?
      Do you think it is a good idea, or unnecessary?

EDIT: A lot of folks have made great suggestions and shared their experience, thank you! I just want to say that I am not adverse to taking my dolls out every once in awhile while it is hot, but the majority of the time I will be keeping them in "hibernation."

5. Personally I think it is a little Unnecessary simply because your dolls are there for you to enjoy. Unless you are planning on reselling your dolls, I don't see the need to lock them all away in their boxes for the entire period of the summer.
      Do you have air conditioning in your house? Do you leave the house completely lit up with the summer sun with your condition? Those are some of the factors that can help in the decision; but from what I've read you seem to avoid going out in the summer heat as much as possible; therefor I really don't see the need to lock your dolls up. If they stay inside with you and out of direct sunlight, shouldn't they be fine?

6. My dolls are always in 90 degree weather >.> I havent seen any ill effects or excessive yellowing. I live in texas with a bad ac but I would never put all of my dolls away just to avoid a little yellowing. If it was a hot car that would be different, but I figure if I can survive the heat then they can too :)

7. *BLINK* wow...no...good grief no, no I don't! It's warm, it's nice out, the garden looks pretty, I'll be taking them all out there for photo's and some laughs with friends, the very LAST thing I'd want to do in summer is pack them up! I can't imagine anything worse than not having them with me when the weather's finally nice enough to go out with them for shoots tbh! They're gonna yellow regardless of how much sun/heat they see, I might as well enjoy them while they're doing it.

Do you wrap them up in winter too on the off chance the cold gets to them?

8. I'm a little over-cautious with my dolls myself, so I'm certainly not gonna say anything against this idea.
      While I don't pack them away for the whole summer, I do keep them in a secure (away from little kitty paws ;)), cold, dark place whenever I'm not around.
      I don't have AC in my house and we currently have up to 100 degrees where I live, so I just don't wanna risk anything, even if I know that the boys probably aren't gonna insta-yellow or anything. That's just me.

9. Hi. I'm photosensitive. I blister if out in the sun for more than five minutes.

The way I see it, they're sensitive and so am I.

So we wear layers, long sleeves, and hats.

But we go out in coverings and the shade, and enjoy what we can before we both succum to our bodies' "issues". Because yellowing happens. So does death. And what's important is enjoying each day with what you have, while you have it.

And I happen to like my babies with a little yellow. It's cute. XD

10. Nope, I see no reason to pack them away. Personally I don't think having them out will cause them any harm -- when it comes to heat I wouldn't leave a doll in a hot car in the middle of summer, but if it's cool enough to be safe for you, then it should be safe enough for them. Just don't display them in sunlight, but that's true of any time of year. I've taken dolls to doll meets at parks and festivals when it's been hot, and never had any issues myself.

I keep my dolls out, because I bought them to enjoy, and I can't do that if they're all packed up.

11. I don't pack my dolls away for any particular season. I do tend to "store" them in their boxes in a cool place, but that's what I do when I'm not actively doing something with my dolls. In fact, summer makes me want to take advantage of the weather and greenery to get some nice pictures, while I hide under the shade of a parasol.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about leaving a doll packaged. Being in the box might trap heat or humidity that could react with plastic, bubble wrap, or foam. I've never experienced this with dolls, but I've seen toys damaged from extended storage.

Most importantly, I want to enjoy my dolls. Otherwise, I can't seem much point in owning them!

12. I abhor the heat as it makes me sick (Note: I live in Southeast Texas O__o). However, this means I try to keep my living space cool at all times, so as long as they are with me, the dolls are rarely in high temperatures. As for sunlight, I cover the dolls closest to the windows with sheets when I open the curtains for a short time in the morning, and I have the windows covered for the rest of the day, keeping my bedroom fairly dark, so the dolls are not exposed to much sunlight.

If the power goes out and stays out for a significant amount of time, I just keep my dolls wherever I am, which will be the coolest part of the house. I don't see how wrapping them in bubble wrap and packing them away would keep them in better condition unless I had a temperature and humidity controlled closet (I worry about extreme humidity a bit more than heat, as it seems to mess up some sealants). The room with the most stable temperature and humidity is always going to be where I am. I can not say how good, or stable, the conditions are in my closets or the less inhabited rooms.

13. Oops, double post. Sorry.

14. I am the first to admit that the idea is a little intense. And I did buy my dolls to enjoy them (I am actually excited at the idea of un-storing them in a month or two and it will be like getting them brand new all over again to me). But I had a bad experience last year, and I love my dolls so I want to be very careful with them. I am not saying I won't pull them out to play with when I can, but I won't be at home as much so I don't need to keep out all the time either. My home is not A/C, and it can get kind of hot, but I do try to keep it as dark and cool as I can.

I think the first post does make it sound rather extreme; it's just last year one of my dolls shoes ...melted. Totally deformed and stuck to her foot. Also my Tiny BB girl got very yellow, I don't know too much about yellowing, but she skipped a creamy mellowing and turned a rather "burnt" coloring (she was rarely in the sun, it was just the temp I think). I wasn't as careful with my dolls last summer so I was just thinking that this year there will be no opportunity for burnt and melting accessories.

It is only hot here for a month and a half roughly, so my girls will be out soon. After reading the responses I think maybe I should set aside a drawer for them to rest in when not in use instead of the extremes of always displayed or put away in a closet.

15. Putting them in a drawer with some nice soft satin pillows or blankets might be a good start for sure. I actually always keep my dolls stored in their boxes with bubblewrap and blankets and pillows and faceup protectors (etc etc) and keep them especially locked away if it's even slightly sunny in my bedroom. I live in a very chilly climate (San Francisco area) and we don't get much sun through the fog, but I am very paranoid about these guys yellowing or getting really dusty. I love them to death but I assume in five years my tastes may change and the dolls will find themselves on the marketplace...I hope they are still cream white by then!

16. I think the idea actually makes less sense to people who live in warmer areas, such as the one I live in, because most of us have A/C. In your situation, I can understand being more concerned. The drawer or a little space you find to be cool sounds like a good idea.
      If it really gets that hot though, I would be concerned about putting them in any sort of plastic storage wrap. The white cloth alone might be better?

17. Does your house get humid? Assuming you're not normally storing your dolls in direct sunlight, humidity would be the only other thing I'd worry about. And that would only effect elastic (weakening it) and poorly sealed face ups/blushing.

18. 110 degrées ??????? wow Slipring it like crazy but its heat * O *
      here it is up to 35 ^ ^ and my dolls enjoys tan its not in direct sunlight or when the time any photos.
      But right from 90 sec 110 i think that I shall have also afraid of the reaction of the resin, and MSC (little more toxic at this temperature???? No idea)

19. I live in central Texas and although it's blazing hot here from about late April until the end of October, I still play with my dolls. I just keep them inside my house which is dark and cool, unless I am photographing them outdoors. I'm pale too and avoid the sun whenever possible, just like my dolls.

20. as long as you dont put them in direct sunlight, or use spot light on them, then it should be ok, I've never heard that decoloring occured due to extensive heat.
      though pvc might deform in a way when the temperature is very hot, but vinyl and resin should be fine.
      for me, theres not much to worry about during the summer