1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Packing your dolls away for Summer? (Or exteme heat/humidity waves)

Jun 4, 2010

1. In fact, I seldom take out my dolls, they always sleep inside the boxes.

It's because I have no space to display all the dolls, and it's hot and wet in Hong Kong.

I try to keep the dolls in good condition, so I will keep my dolls in the wardrobe.

2. Uneven yellowing is what I am afraid of too. My dolls usually sit in a big chair and I don't want just the front half yellow. It was around 30C here today too, but hopefully it will cool down and stay cooler. If I can buy an A/C this summer I will be comfortable taking my dolls out more.

It too bad that you don't have more space to keep your dolls out :(
      I have a big wardrobe here that could fit two-three people so I eventually want to convert it into a whole doll house so my dolls can stand and not have to sit or lay flat all the time.

3. I wouldn't mind leaving my doll in my car because it doesn't get really hot in Oregon, but the thing that I'm most worried about are car thefts and stuff #_#

4. During the winter, if it's only for a while, I wouldn't mind leaving them in the car. But when it's over an hour, I prefer to take them with me. I just feel better that way.
      During the summer I take them out instantly when I leave, if the sun hits a car it gets extremely hot inside. I prefer to keep them with me, were it's at least a bit cooler.

But I rarely take my dolls with me in a car. When going to meetups its often the train. I can use my bfs car when he doesn't need it, but he needs it very often; he has a company car and even fuel is free (when filled up in belgium). So I fill it and go wherever I want to xD I have also his parents second car that I can use, but since that one is rather old and drinks a loooot fuel I prefer the train. Also, only cars to meetups outside big city centers or the parking fee will kill me and I don't like driving around in busy places.
      For the rest I just don't tend to take my dolls outside with me often, maybe to my parents but that is about it ...

5. Being in the UK, that isn't really an issue for me ^^; but since a lot of people in this hobby live in very hot countries, I'm sure they're designed to withstand a bit of heat. UK weather is pretty good when it comes to my dolls actually :lol:

6. I've actually been doing research for where to move when I am done with university. UK is defiantly on my list of places :) I am so glad that I am a grown up now and get to choose not to live where it gets so hot for me.

I know resin can only be cast on clear, dry days (?) so I am more worried about humidity. It can get very humid here, though not as much as on the peninsula.
      On a side note I was reading about how you can remove stubborn super glue from a doll's eyelashes (or magnets) by putting them in the freezer. So it seems that while produced in the dry heat, dolls are actually suited to colder temps too (maybe even better?).

7. I try and avoid it if I can. Where I live, temperatures can soar well over 100 degrees inside the closed cabins of vehicles. It's been well documented that the pigments used to give color to resin are reactive to heat, oxidation and UV/UVB radiation and are thus prone to yellowing in these conditions. Some pigments degenerate at a faster rate or react more violently than others. Which is why some companies 'age' better then other.

I can't do much about the oxidation but I always bring my doll carrier in whenever I'm out and about to avoid doing any irreversible damage. I'd also rather not leave my dolls unattended, even in a locked car.

8. this is a big NoNo for me, I know the temperatures to well here to even consider leaving my dollies in the car. That and my dad's car has black leather interior, it seriously feels like your sitting on a barbecue grill with those things when it gets hot. The chance of things getting stolen is pretty high here too, they put front page articles just to warn people not to leave valuables in the car on the newspaper because of all the car buglars we have in my city. Which I personally find quite sad. xD

9. I only ever take my dolls to meets, so the only time they're in the car is when the car is moving. XD There was only one time they were left in the car (one in the front seat covered with a shirt and my bag in the trunk) and that was for about 15 minutes.
      On the way home from a meet, my sister and I had to go shopping, so I took my two boys in with me. Mainly because I didn't want them to get stolen and my sister takes forever to shop. I barely got any funny looks, though, one lady commented that they looked like little humans (I had them in the cart seat). XD Other than that, no one seemed to notice them and the boys helped to hold smaller stuff so it wouldn't fall out. XD
      Considering how hot it gets here, 100s in the summer, I wouldn't leave my dolls in the car for very long and would probably keep them in the trunk (it's cooler in my sister's car's trunk than inside, yay for no a/c :/ ).

10. HUGE no-no pour moi. HUGE. If Resin is vulnerable, Vinyl is absolutely perishable in heat. Anyone who's old enough to remember records or has done DJ work knows that vinyl will become horribly deformed under heat. I mean, you use a hair dryer to soften vinyl parts up...San Fernando Valley Summer? OMG EPIC FAIL. Air conditioning is your friend. Use it.

11. I would never leave a doll of mine in a car, absolutely not not even for 5 minutes!

12. Despite my mother's protests, I always take Kori inside with me whenever we're out and about and he's with us. I left him in the car once when we ran inside Target quickly, but I panicked the entire time. (Odd since I'm a very laid back doll owner in general) It was mostly because I haven't yet gotten a doll case and so he was out in the open, plus it was really hot outside even if we sat him in the shade...

I don't think I'll ever do that again DX

13. I would never leave a doll in the car, even if it was winter. I would be too scared that something, whatever it may be, might happen. Plus, carrying around cute dollies is fun.

14. Mine aren't typically in the car long enough without me to be a problem. In fact, my (MSD) rides in my purse, so she just goes anywhere I go and my SD has only sat in the car once without me, and that's while I was running into the sub shop and back. He was happily buckled in the passenger seat, but only left there for a few minutes, earlier that day he came in with me to sit through my class and was cleverly disguised as a canvas shopping bag for the whole time. We were going to go take photos after class but the heat had risen too high.
      I usually avoid brining my SD boy into non-doll meets with me, as the whole paws and claws makes a lot of people TOO curious, and he's borderline uncomfortably heavy. My MSD goes all over with me though.

In the winter, it can be more safe, but even that has it's limits. I typically don't advocate that anything sensitive (animals, people, electronics, or dolls, ect) be left in the car for a variety of safety reasons.

15. I recently moved from northern California to Texas and left Hyun-ki in a box (the one Min-ki left at the house! X3) with one of his cushions in the trunk. I hated it! But it was either leave him in the trunk or leave him in a hotel somewhere in Arizona or something. No thanks! Thankfully he doesn't have a face-up, and he doesn't look to have yellowed but I never want to do that again.

16. I definitely wouldn't leave her in the car, whether you'll be a long or short time...especially if you're only going to be two minutes, because you could just take her with you, lugging her for a couple of minutes wouldn't hurt at all! I would rather strain my arms and feel uncomfortable while carrying her around, than leaving her to be possibly stolen or her face melting...weigh up the pro's and cons first!!

17. The only times I have ever and will ever leave my guys in the car is if I'm paying for my gas. Otherwise, they go into the bank, the cable office, Walmart, Kmart, the movies... Anywhere I go, if they're with me, I'm carrying them. I'm not talking in bags or concealed, I'm talking three MSD's sitting along my left arm and one perched in my left hand while I walk around for a while.

My car is black, its old, there's a missing window and my wind-shield has a very large crack. I don't want someone seeing them, and assuming they're 'just' dolls and I won't miss them and ripping the plastic off my window to get them, or something happening to that front wind-shield and glass getting all over them, possibly nicking them. My car is ancient, which means it has really OLD windows that aren't heat-treated in any way like most newer windows are. It can get UNGODLY in there, and that's for me, with doors open while I roll those things down so I can breathe in there.

If you can't or don't want to take them inside with you, don't take them at all and leave them in the car, too many things can happen. My car is parked in the small concrete area of my backyard that is our off-street parking space, and I've gone out before to find my glove box open and all my paper work scattered around the car, who knows what would happen in PUBLIC!

18. Personally, I'd be too paranoid to leave my doll in the car, regardless of if it's hot or not. It might be because he's more expensive than my car? Or older looking car means easier break-in/ car-theft?

Besides, I'd want to bring him around with me so he can see everything ^.^

19. I have had to leave my dolls in a hot car before, inside their respective boxes/carriers, which were then in a luggage bag and appropriately hidden. They weren't in direct sunlight, but it did get pretty hot in there. All three of them were perfectly fine.

I think too many people assume their dolls are a lot more delicate than they actually are. With the heat, the worst that would really happen is the eye putty softening or their eyelashes coming unglued from humidity. The resin itself isn't going to give, people have put their doll into boiling water before and the doll didn't melt. Your doll will, most likely, be perfectly fine.

If something terrible does happen, we'd call that an anomaly or an act of God.

Sometimes I can't understand how so many people can insist on something completely impractical being the only way when someone asks a valid question. To answer the question clearly and directly, your doll should be fine.

20. Its not impractical. Impractical is knowing you'll be leaving it for a long time in a hot car that can get hot enough to melt the eyes themselves, possibly warp thinner pieces of the resin like fingers, eye sockets, or the thin parts around the joints, and bringing the doll with you ANYHOW. Then being upset because it's now been damaged and needs fixed. This is what I would consider impractical. After all, the temperature INSIDE the car will likely be HOTTER than the actual temperature by anything from ten to twenty degrees. Its not an 'act of god', it's simple logic, resin is a type of plastic, at high temperatures like that, plastics will warp and potentially break.

Taking it inside with you if you make an unexpected stop is hardly impractical. Especially if you're only going to be a minute, what is the harm. You'll be less worried about the doll and that will make the trip more enjoyable.