1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Packing your dolls away for Summer? (Or exteme heat/humidity waves)

Jun 4, 2010

1. I never leave anything valuable in the car, not even if it's locked. I've had windows punched out cars, I've had stuff stolen from my car while it was in my driveway (and this was in a very safe neighborhood). If you love it, don't leave it in the car!

2. I never ever leave a doll in the car. I would much rather deal with odd looks and questions than for it to get damaged. If the car is hot enough it can melt the eye putty, which sounds so fun to clean up. Worse, they could yellow a bit; I've read that some dolls have yellowed noticeably in an hour or two if left out in the sun or extreme heat.

Since I've been in this situation before, usually a bring a bad to keep the doll/dolls in. It's easier to carry and you'll avoid the looks from others. Some places might be nice enough to let you leave your bag behind the register, although many stores have a policy against this. It's worth asking at least.

3. Okay KarieChaos, do you know how huge an IH Jessica is? I take it you don't, because if you had any idea, you'd realize exactly what you're suggesting she do.

The doll isn't going to melt. You can't reasonably go shopping while trying to carry an IH Jessica, just as I reasonably couldn't put on a performance at a con while trying to carry/keep track of three SD size dolls.

She wasn't talking about an unexpected stop, she was talking about a planned shopping excursion. Answer her question, or hold your comments.

If the doll is in a carrier in the trunk, it will be fine. My dolls were in a box, inside a bag, inside the car under the back seats. Yes, they got warm, but no one melted. They were in there for 3 hours, during the heat of the day.

Quit giving bad advice if you have no personal experience to go on.

4. Actually I DO know how big an IH Jessica is, thanks. Its not bad advice, its sensible. She was going for a meet, the shopping was a secondary thing. If you're not going to be in for very long, it makes more sense to take it in, despite the size.

I wouldn't know about doing things at a con because I don't go to them, but I would imagine if you KNEW you were doing a performance, you wouldn't bring the dolls, just like if you knew you were going to stop for a while some place you would end up leaving something as expensive as an IH Jessica in a car for a while, you just wouldn't take it, or you would choose not to go in.

Good for you, that yours didn't get hurt, but the simple truth is, being trapped in a metal shell with a lot of heat building up is not good for the resin. No they won't melt like vinyl would and be a large sticky puddle, but the thinner bits CAN warp and become brittle if you leave it like that. Add to that the fact that the excessive heat can cause the speed up of yellowing, and you just have a bad all-around idea.

I am not giving 'bad' advice, I'm just pointing out the things that can go wrong if you choose to leave something like that in a car. If they didn't want people's OPINIONS, they wouldn't have asked for them. Please don't belittle my opinion just because you don't agree with me.

5. Hey lets not fight no reason to get into it..

Any way I've left my dolls in the car in thier carrying case, with no damage/yellowing. If you feel safe doing it, do it... if you don't just carry her around with you.

As for carring her around, i've gone to my local mall TONS (used to have to take the bus everywhere till a month ago.) and i carried my girls around. People stare it can't be helped but depending on what happens you can make a new friend too :)

6. I've left Lucien inside the car all the time, and nothing has happend to him : > Not that i'm aware of, anywhoo. Call me a bad daddy, but he's fine.

7. DO NOT leave her in the car! With those kinds of temperatures her face-up is liable to melt off, or the resin will get soft and pliable. Think modding BJD fingers with the steam off of a boiling pot on the stove, same concept there.

8. I personally don't think its smart to leave your doll in the car, due to heat and also it can be under strict uv light. The glass of the car wont be able to secure uv protection fully on your doll. SO no I think its best to take him/her with you or leave him/her at home.

9. My personal opinion I wouldn't leave her in the car. I and four other friends wanted to go to a show after our meet and we decided that putting our dolls in a car that was going to sit in 95 - 100 degrees with the sun beating down would not be a smart idea. We all had our dolls in our bags and decided to carry them into a cooler enviroment. You never know what could happen, so we decided to err on the side of caution.

10. There a lot of variables to interpret here:
      • Some people live in sunnier locations than others.
      • Some people tolerate more yellowing in their dolls than others.
      • Some people have more fragile customizations than others.
      • Some people have had their cars broken into or stolen.
      • Some people are simply more risk-averse.
      That's about it, really. Leaving a doll in the car is a risk. In fact, just taking a doll out at all is a risk. Something might happen. Or not. What risk is acceptable to any particular owner is highly personal and will vary with the situation at hand. In the end, we are all just rolling dice.

Dolls are probably a good deal more durable than they usually get credit for. But having said that, I don't think a lot of us are really eager to test that durability. Maybe you judged your situation to be ok. Fine, they're your dolls anyway. But as you scoff at the risk to your dolls, don't insult others for failing to follow suit. You don't know our weather. You don't know our cars. You don't know our dolls. And you are not the one who has to deal with the damage if your advice happens to turn out poorly.

A bad outcome only needs to happen just once to hurt.

These dolls are emotionally-charged items of significant value, so forgive us if some of us prefer to err on the cautious side, ok?

11. Never mind heat or cold. I just don't trust leaving big expensive things in a car. Thankfully I've only gotten broken into years ago, but the nervousness would wreck whatever excursion I'd be on. I've gone many places no way related to this hobby, with a big doll in the hard "duffle" bag on the shoulder, minis in a generic shoulder bag, and 65cm+ dolls sitting comfy in a 21" suitcase on wheels.

It seems like there are people all over the place these days with wheelies, wheeled suitcases, duffle bags and whatever else slung around them, so one more bag being a doll case won't stand out at all!

12. Would you take your doll on a 3 day road trip in the summer??? Or would that be bad....even if you had the AC on and put it right by it? = -I

13. That should be more than safe enough temperature-wise. But you may mind the sun's UV, especially if you have a tanned doll--some of them turn green. :o

14. I'd be scared to do that, especially that we live in AZ *_*

15. I went through the threads to make sure that there wasnt a thread about this already, and I was basically wondering what everyone's opinion was or some hints or tips when traveling with your doll.

I will be driving 19 hours with two dogs in october, when it still pretty hot where i live so i dont really want to leave mine in the trunk, and debated on using a specific bag for him with his belongings alone. However, being a newb i am pretty ignorant on what sun/ damage or what not would do to him.

1. Should he travel naked or in white?
      2. How long before odors set in heavily?
      3. Being white skinned, how long does yellowing take if he is just in the seat next to me?

Another thing i wanted to throw in is based around an idea I got from another thread. I will be going to a Renaissance Festival in Kansas City MO in october, I was really wanting to take him with me, and was going to make a satchel specifically for him. I was wondering if anyone had been in events like that and what are some things that will help ensure a good time with taking him.

I travel a lot around this time of year, with my hubby in the navy i usually go home when he is underway and will be getting my new boy soon and want to make sure that he is safe and a new part of my life.

oh and btw, he is a Bobobie Weylin, secondhand 60Cm

16. I take my dolls in carriers protected with padding if I travel with them and I put them in the car with me, not in the trunk. Heat and sunlight is bad for them and will cause yellowing after a while, so I keep them cool and in the dark. I have a dog and my dolls have not attracted any odors, but if you smoke around dolls, their clothes will smell of it.

17. I would avoid putting him in the trunk in the heat -- finding a nice sturdy carrier would keep him safest. You can buy doll bags, but I've also seen people use small hard bodied suitcases and trunks, scrap book/sewing supply carriers, rolling suitcases of various sizes etc. Another thing you can do is use the box he came in to transport him. I always keep the pillows they come with to use as padding when I pack them up to go somewhere.

I can't tell you how much sun is exactly too much, but if you're worried and want to leave him out on the seat, you can always wrap him up in a blanket to help protect him. My dark skin BBB boy has a cloak with a hood for that very purpose. I don't know that the color of clothing is really going to matter -- I've never had difficulty getting fabric stains out, so it's not something that concerns me greatly. Bringing along a magic eraser for any kind of clean up is a good idea though.

If I'm going to a festival or con with a doll (basically any event where there is a lot of walking around), I generally don't bring to many -- usually just one SD sized or two minis. I carry mine in my arms (hence not taking very many), though if you want to keep your hands free, a doll bag of some sort would help with that. BBBs are light weight in terms of bjds, so they aren't bad to carry around.

18. I had never left any of my dolls alone!!!How can my dear dolly stay without me??!!

19. I don't think I could leave my doll in car and go spmewhere. I would probably worry all the time and think various "what if". If I really wouldn't be able to carry it with me, I would cover my doll in blanket and leave under other things so no-one would notice it.