1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Paring Down. Less is more?

Mar 7, 2011

1. I've noticed this. I don't understand it either cause my dolls sit on my dresser and I don't play with them every day or change their outfits that often, unless I feel like it, and not once have I looked at them in the light of "I'm wasting my money just having them sit there.". Mine rarely leave the house unless I'm taking one to a meet or something and I don't feel like I'm neglecting them or any such foolishness. Them sitting on my dresser making me happy when I look at them as I go about my day, is exactly what I want.

And, yes!, the "full set" issue...never understood how that makes one less creative. I'm a lover of SOOM full set MD dolls (have a fullset Chalco, myself), I mean, they are gorgeous! Many companies have wonderful fullset packages....I love seeing what people do with them, their pictures and such. Personally, I've always thought that was some of the fun of this hobby. Being able to chose if you want a blank doll or full set or partail set. Pick and chose as you wish. That its all about what YOU would like.

2. Speaking as somebody with a collection on the large side, same here! As far as pleasure posessions go (as opposed to utility), dolls are way up there with me! There are a lot of other expensive things like designer handbags, perfumes, ritzy spa visits, fancy chrome rims, etc. I can easily shrug off. Dolls on my want list that I can afford? I'm goo.

3. interesting topic, especially since i'm doing this right now.

i went from having 7 planned dolls, 4 boys and 3 girls. i've recaluated and come down to a total of four boys. i don't even feel compelled to play with my girl dolls and i don't any have any girls on my wishlist so i'm happy to be slimming down my collection since it will mean that i have a group who i consistently play with and enjoy instead of a bunch of dolls that i don't enjoy equally.

4. Well, I don't have my dolls set up like JennyNemesis does, but I have a freaking large collection. Over 50, 55 I think. I do wan to par down but I don't. I love having a ton of dolls, but there is the problem with clothing, as some are so much easier to find...I should stick to the wishlist, since most of those are tinies, but I found a few more...

I seriously need a bigger bedroom!

5. This is rather timely, since I'm debating the very question you pose.

I've been in the hobby since 2006 and in that time I've acquired 5 full dolls, two 1/4, two 1/6, and a single 1/3 size. I honestly didn't intend to have even that many. I'd only planned the two minis; the other 3 were the spur-of-the-moment acquisitions. I noticed, quite recently, that when I reach for one of my dolls I seem to gravitate more often to the 1/3 (my newest) or the tinies. Before I got my big girl I really never handled my dolls all that often, but that one doll has lead me to a deeper mental/emotional investment in the hobby. More than ever, I enjoy taking my girl places and I am even inspired to take and post photographs. The tinies go places with me where my 1/3 would be unwieldy.

That preference wouldn't have bothered me, except that I found myself holding the minis simply to "be fair." Not just because I spontaneously wanted to, but because I spent so much time on the other dolls.

So right now, I'm testing whether or not I'll miss the minis if they were to move on. I'm highly conscious of where the are, tucked away in a box... but I don't think I really miss not seeing them every day. My doll shelf is less crowded and I feel surprisingly content with it.

6. I have just done this. Cut down from over 40ish. Dolls seem to just "appear" here somehow :lol: and I felt overwhelmed by the number that I suddenly seemed to have. I wanted to cut back to a more manageable number. I want to get it down even further but it's hard to decide which ones to let go... I feel better having fewer here and I can concentrate on the ones I really love.

7. My collection used to be double digits, too - but I got overwhelmed and burnt out both financially and emotionally, so I pared down severely. I now have 2 dolls of each size, 1 girl and 1 boy. I think it suits me just fine since I now have a better focus on what clothes to buy for each doll, and they don't need to share.

8. So, now I have cut down from owning near 100...to keeping about 50. I feel very good in myself for doing it, and I honestly haven't missed any that have gone on their way.

9. Oh my goodness!! Impressive! LOL, where did you keep them all?

10. Pretty much everywhere in my bedroom. My dressing table was covered, and my cabinet was full. It's gonna be nice to have a dressing table I can use again xD

11. I originally only wanted a couple of dolls, I think my list was at five and I was already feeling a little overwhelmed by it, although two of those were Minis that I didn't want to count because they were OCs I'd be getting in resin. Now my list is up to ten but I've divided it between the five I really really really want and the other five I'd be happy waiting until I got my own house and had enough room for them to not feel like so many. It comes and goes, though, sometimes I feel as if I want to be surrounded by dolls and sometimes I feel as if I only need one.

12. Over the years, I’ve consistently had only two dolls for the majority of the time. One was always SD sized which I can make detailed things for, and another smaller sized doll which I can easily travel around with. At one point I had three and I started to feel overwhelmed financially by trying to give them all attention with wigs, clothes, eyes, and such. If my budget allowed it I’d probably have more but right now two is perfect for me (and much easier to sew for!). And with two I can still have that interaction between the dolls in photos and stuff. :)

13. As my friend once said the pendulum must swing both ways before it can come to a complete stop in the middle.
      In the beginning I was addicted to buying dolls, then I stopped, then I sold some dolls and I plan to sell a few more.
      I feel like I am getting closer to my ideal though.

14. My personal space has diminished in the past three years, and as my space collapses on itself, I do harbor these moments of panic where I convince myself that my collection needs to go the wayside to accommodate these changes. But, no many how hard I try to purge my collection, new BJDs always arrive. This fall/winter is a perfect example: four BJD have left, but three new dolls have arrived. I always feel like the right answer should be "less is more" but it just isn't working out for me. I believe it in other capacities of life, but here, not so much. I did manage to seriously cut my number of off-topic dolls to the lowest it has been since I started collecting dolls eons ago, but I guess I just really like having around 8-12 BJD. Also, I have many other things I'd rather be rid of before my dolls.

15. I went through a fairly big paredown last year, wherein I sold nearly all my dolls save for two floating heads because I just lost all desire to take them out and photograph them or play around with them. I used the money gained from them to purchase another full doll, whom I greatly enjoy, far more than the ones I sold. Later in the same year, I bought one more doll, whom I also enjoy more. I think someday I'll allow my collection to grow again, but that's a ways off because I've really only got time for two or three as it stands.

16. No, I acctually have never felt that way. I usually don't sell my dolls, since I have come to love the characters dearly.
      And the dolls I will sell, is about not bonding with them. But I could never sell the ones I consider family. Just like I could never sell a loved animal either :sweat

17. Every once in awhile, usually after I've made a few purchases in quick succession, I panic a bit at the number of dolls in my house. Right now, things are quite alright, but I've wiped out my wishlist because the idea of getting another SD is suddenly overwhelming to me. This probably means that the poor head I just got won't be around for too long more... OTL

I do think, for me, less is more. Each doll takes considerable creative effort, and having to deal with too many at once just tires me out mentally. They're like pets to me, and I'd rather own and pamper a few pets than have to deal with a whole petting zoo. XD

18. Well, I got into this hobby 2 years ago,and got my 1st doll 1year ago. At first I told myself that I want to have AT LEAST 30 dolls. Ok-I do realize that`s a little crazy, but I was thiking I am only going to aquire that numre in 8 years:)) (SO WRONG) . Just one yer after I got my first doll, I finde myself having 9 and a floating head, and I am starting to feel overwhelmed, cause recently I stated to "step up" my collectin rise them to their full potential. That means best quality wigs, best clothes , best sheos , awsome faceups. And we all know how expensive taking one doll to the next level can be. I have that times nine. I tried to sell one of my dolls recently, a Bluefairy Jasmine, but since here was no interest in her(like absolutely NONE), and she also was my second doll , I decided not to sell her,wich only makes it worse for me.

19. I've been in the hobby since '07 and by my most recent count I have 3 full dollies (2 SDs, 1 MSD), 1 floating head (MSD) and 1 other full dolly (SD) on their way soon.

My highest count was probably about 6-7 dolls so I've never had loads, mostly because I can't afford them and I'm very picky. If a doll arrives and I don't like him/her then they're gone to make room and money for a doll I do want. It makes me sad that I can't afford more at the moment (I'm an unemployed student) but it really makes me appreciate those I can afford!

Would I love a dolly group of about 20? Sure! Can I allow myself to be in the mindset that would enable that just yet? Noooooo! xD

20. well, I'm not sure how many is too many. But at the moment I have three minis and a 60cm large. Is it too much? I know the best situation is to only have my beloved twins. But I just can't let the other two go. It's just so hard ~ TAT