1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Participating in the online doll community?

Apr 27, 2007

1. I knew about the dolls before joining the DoA, but in my past experience with other collectables, an online community can help so much with worries over value, accessories, shipping... little things that I would otherwise fret over. Plus it's a great way to talk to like-minded people instead of trying to 'convert' people that you know (no...I've never done that...why are you looking at me that way? >.>).

At the same time I don't think you have to be part of a community in order to collect and enjoy something :) just as 'collectors clubs' aren't essential for some figurines.

2. Important? No. Useful? Yes. As many others have stated, it's a way to get in touch with other owners when you don't have anyone of like interests nearby. Or, in my case, where I have a fair-sized community near me, but I am very shy and anti-social, an online community gives me a chance to speak to others in a more comfortable atmosphere (since if you're tongue-tied with shyness or nerves in person, it's hard to say anything!).

I read posts that catch my attention, occasionally reply, but, for the most part, the trends that come and go largely do not affect me. My dolls are mine, and I dress/style them to suit my whims, not on a "what's cool now" (I do that with myself too, so neither myself or my dolls are "fashionable" LOL).

So, my two cents on it.

-Meredith

3. For me i think the online community has enchanced my enjoyment of this hobby. It was also very benificial for me in the early part of this year when i first found out about bjds from a magazine. I really enjoyed the article and pictures in the mag and wanted to find out more; online communities are a great place to learn and discover much information about something. I wanted to be sure that this hobby was for me before i committed myself. Im so glad that i did ask questions and read the forums to find out about bjds.

It isnt an essential part of the hobby but it helps to spread ideas and tips as actual collectors can be few and far between in the areas where people live. It helps me feel more connected to like minded people too as ive yet to meet any in my local area.

4. I think it is pretty important, because you can get so much help from people who are not near you. It' s not as if we can go to the store to see BJDs (unless we live in the same town as Dollfair), so I really rely on other's reviews of products, and owner photos of dolls. I also love that I can ask a question and get a variety of answers.

5. I spend equal time in my local groups online page and at doa. I just usually dont have much to say so I lurk for long periods.

6. As with almost eneryone else, I think not necessary but great!
      I live in Perth, Australia. It is the most isolated city in the world and I know of only 3 other BJD collectors here. It is really nice to have a place I can go that can answer questions and everyone I have come across on DOA so far have been so helpful and nice :)
      It is also fantastic to see what the "trends " are among the community. It dosn't mean they have to be followed, but it gives you ideas as to what you would like to do to or make for your dolls.
      I bought my first about a year ago and I have only been on DOA a short while. I didn't feel I was missing anything before I joined as I love my dolls as much regardless, but I am mighty glad that I am now part of the international BJD community!

7. being a part of an online community isn't necessary, but it can be very helpfull.
      Being new to the world of BJDs i really did't (and still don't) know that much about them aside from that they were big dolls.
      But since joining this forum-i have learned many things including some basics for doing my own face up (which i am confident i can now do...before i wasn't so sure), the different types of skin tones, and the doll head i want to get (thank you poppa).
      Also, i know what i want my doll to look like (i'm talking about tatoos and peircings-i have them drawn out), and thanks to this forum i know that there are topics that give you step by steps and offer informative resorces about how to customize your own doll.
      i don't think that i would plan on getting a doll if it wasn't for this forum

8. As a newcomer, I must say having DoA has been an eye-opener. Discovering the artistic avenues people have followed with the BJD "culture" has been delightful. The dolls definitely aren't toys, but "canvases". I understand much better why my daughter was so attracted to them.They have the ability to open creative doors. The communities also support peoples creative efforts. I'm not creative, but I have enjoyed seeing what others have done and hearing them talk.

9. i think the online doll community greatly contributes to my enjoyment, since it lets me see others' dolls in different ways that i could never have imagined just from looking at my own. not to mention the amount of help you can get in the sewing and customization section, and even the gratification from people's compliments on a doll.

10. When I discovered these dolls, I wasn't part of any bjd group, only polymer clay and artdolls groups...someone posted a pic from an ebay auction showing a bjd, that's how I found them.
      I think if you live in a area with alot of conventions and Cons, then you could probably live without an online doll community, but where I live we don't have any that's close, {NYC is over 3 hours away for me} and there aren't many people that even know about these dolls.

and when I got my first doll,{an obitsu} I was a member of JS,{still am} but I had heard about DoA..some good, some bad...so I decided to check out this forum to see for myself.,and I really enjoy it here..
      I've learned alot, have gotten to see dolls I didn't know existed, and "met" alot of great people, and have done business with alot of members.
      I am a member of alot of doll groups now, but really enjoy DoA the most, I like all the diversity and meeting people from around the world...and if I wasn't a member of any group, I don't think I would have enjoyed this hobby as much as I do...because I have no one to talk about dolls with....

11. There was no one I knew to talk to about these dolls before I came to this community. It has really helped me find others with the same interests in the dolls. Maybe, some day, I might get to a meetup.

12. Yeah me too. I love DOA, and other doll sites, but nowdays I literally live on DOA. *_*

Its a good thing that I found this site, because I knew just about nothing about BJDs when I first got into them. Its also nice to be able to find lotsa people in my state/city that are also into them. Plus all the info on new dolls and so on is always on here as soon as it comes out. :D

13. I think it's important, because it's a great way to learn about bjds and keep in touch with what's new out there. Without DOA I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to take care of my doll :lol:

Trends... I don't really follow them. A beautiful doll is a beautiful doll, period! :lol: I value originality, but trends sometimes feel like competition... and competition leads to improvement and improvement leads to beautiful dolls, so overall it's all good :lol:

14. I probably never would have gotten a BJD if not for DoA so I say it is very important!
      It's a great way to get to know the facts about these dolls, how to take care of them and what they cost and what companies there are out there.

Personally I enjoy DoA so much because I have no real life friends that are interested in the hobby so there is noplace else where I can go and talk about dolls.

15. I have to agree that DoA ( being the only BJD community I am currently active in ) is a wonderful site for information and the like, however, that doesn't necassarly have to be tied in with the word 'community' if you look as it simply as an information source.

When I think about community I think moreso about the type of people here you meet and chat with about how you like to play with your dolls, learn about each others ideas and lives and share thoughts. I try to make that word as seperate as possible from 'learning'. While people may join a community for various reasons, including learning, I like to use it moreso in the terms of engaging with likeminded folk.

That being said, I very much appreciate DoA as I've met a very dear friend that I would not have otherwise ever spoken to. And while that means more than anything to me, I have to say that other times, I don't really enjoy a larger community. With more people comes the sudden increase of pressure, almost turning things into a competition and it no longer gives off a warm vibe. So I would have to say I feel that small communities within the BJD hobby are very, very important. However, larger ones where people start to become faceless, competing figures, I could do without.

And I'm terribly sorry if that made absolutely no sense. I just woke up. Not a good excuse but I tried to be clear and straight thinking >.<

16. I don't think you really need to participate in the o0nline doll community to get the most out of your little one, but it's fun.

Talking to people with the same hobby as you can be interesting and educational. Hey, maybe you never though to use an old dish rage to make this? Or some ribbon to make that? Learning new things about this hobby is entertaining... to say the least.

You don't have to be a part of a doll community, but in my opinion, I think it would help.

17. While I don't think it's absolutely neccessary to be part of the online doll community in order to enjoy your doll, I think it is nice. Particularly because I don't know anyone offline who collects these dolls. So it's nice to find others who enjoy the hobby to talk to.

As for trends go, I really don't care about them so much. If something I like becomes a trend, then yeah, I'll get into it because it was something I liked to begin with. But I won't like or do something just because it is "in". I won't do it for myself or my dolls. I don't really care what's in, I just do what I do and like what I like. If people like it, cool, if not, it doesn't matter to me.

18. I feel like being part of the online community for the BJDs is important, though it feels really intimidating especially as an on-looker.

As someone who doesn't have any dolls right now, I feel like I'm "left" out because I, well, don't have a doll to post about. I guess you can say it's part of the "cliques" that goes on. It doesn't help that I tend to clamp up whenever there's a discussion about getting them or knowing which doll is for me. A lot of it has to do with the fact I'm really scared about how people are going to react. You have to thank my past experiences for that.

Because of my location, also, I can't really go to any doll meetings outside my city because I lack transporation, I don't know anyone who likes BJDs up here and is even willing to take me with them, the people I do know either don't know what it is or just go "Oh, that's nice."

Granted, it's very useful for me because I can look up the dos and don'ts on how to take care of a doll, how to string them, etc, but like I said. I want to make friends just like any one here, I just feel like I have to have a doll in order to get the full experience of it.

In any case, I really don't remember who introduced me to BJDs but I'm very thankful for them. I just wish I could start talking to people about dolls. I guess I'll have to wait until I get my boy.

19. This is an informative and interesting community, and probably like most things, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. I actually do not participate that much 'cause I don't sew, paint, etc., etc. but really enjoy the things other people do, plus there is always some random question (like this one) being tossed around where anyone can throw their two cents in. Always wish I had more to offer.

20. I think it's nice to be a part of community but it takes a lot of effort to become a part of it - like contributing constantly and meaningfully. Personally, I don't feel I'm a part of community now, I just sometimes comment on some topics, and I'm okay with it, it doesn't prevent me from enjoying my dolls.