1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Paying more for your Doll's clothing than your own....

Mar 31, 2007

1. Overall, I think what I spend on doll clothes and what I spend on my clothes is similar but different. I'm at a stage now where I prefer quality over quantity. This means that for certain items in my wardrobe, I can easily spend hundreds of dollars with the knowledge that the cost per wear will be really low since I'll be wearing them over and over again for at least 3-6 seasons, versus throwing them out after 2-3 washings.

However, what dismays me about doll clothes is that they're pretty much only available in USD. With the exchange rate, this means it costs me an extra 30% for each piece plus shipping and the potential 10-20% in customs fees. So that's basically anywhere from a 30% to 50% additional money I have to pay for every piece of doll clothes. While I don't worry about this when shopping for my clothes.

Also, what drives me nuts is after spending this amount of money, there's no real guarantee that it would fit the doll well. So sometimes when I'm shopping, it feels very much like gambling and hoping you win a well fitting outfit!

2. so I'm some one who is always looking for bargains, I have a spending cap (which is pretty low by the way) for each type of clothing and I try not to go over unless I REALLY love something. And as a newbie in the hobby, I could justify spend a huge amount of money on the dolls, but I can't justify spending so much money on the doll clothing (especially when I would not spend that much on my clothing pieces). That's why before I ordered my dolls, I spent a couple of weeks testing to see if I could actually be able to diy most of the things associated with the bjd hobby. So yeah, I am probably never going to buy anything except for a nude doll.

3. I am very cheap when it comes to buying clothes for myself, usually only shopping at bargain stores and such. I have been known to exclaim "$10 for this shirt! That's way too much!" I'll see a YOSD size similar shirt for $24 USD and say " Wow, that's soo cheap!" I think this hobby has messed up my priorities!!

4. I hate buying clothes for myself, so I do it as little as possible. And then only if it is on sale. Some of the clothing prices have me in shock as I can remember what they were last time I looked, and thought they were ridiculous then. :sweat

For my dolls though, I'm willing to spend what it takes to get the quality and look I'm wanting. True, I do like them to be on sale, but if it is what I want, and I know it will fit, I'll buy it even if it costs half the dolls price (ouch!). Also I've learned that if you see it and like it, you'd better get it, as invariably it will disappear never to be seen again.:sigh

5. I think about this a lot and used to spend much more on my doll than myself. Now it's a different story, but I still spend much more on my doll when it comes to shoes. Though, I'm still a bit of a sale hunter when it comes to my clothes!

6. I like buying clothing sets for my dolls and they tend to be pretty expensive.. I don't buy much clothes for myself so.. yeah I'm spending more money to my dolls' clothes than on mine ^^'

7. Not really...my dolls wear one outfit for months. I tried to make clothes for them,too. It's hard for me to stop buying clothes for myself. And I love Lolita dresses, so...:(

8. I actually make most clothing myself now that I realize how much doll clothing could add up (usually $15 a piece is too much when I want a large wardrobe) I only cut 12 in from a yard of fabric for my dolls and even then that can make a couple of outfits :XD:I used to love sewing but prices were to high to make elaborate human scale clothes... I'm one of the few that can say I spend relatively less money on doll clothes than clothes for myself (for now anyway x,D)

9. I buy all of my clothes second hand because I can't stand going to a mall and paying full price. So I pay way more for doll clothes then I do for my own. But I try to buy doll stuff second hand to so I can save money to buy more dolls! ^^

10. I used to spend quite some money in my own clothes, but not anymore. I do agree that doll clothes can be quite expensive sometimes, but sometimes you can buy real art!