1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Paying more for your Doll's clothing than your own....

Mar 31, 2007

1. seems to me like it would be really hard to make an ultra detailed doll outfit though, just as hard if not harder than making a people sized outfit, also... finding appropriately small buttons, etc, is harder too. Often they are not made in huge production numbers either like clothes for humans in say, Walmart, might be. (so it costs more there )

I sure wish they cost less... but I guess I can understand why they dont. to be fair though, for example... the Baby the Stars Shine Bright limited outfit sets... they actually cost less than the human sized clothes (even though they are still expensive) by a large degree, because:
      human BTSSB clothes:
      purse: $100+
      shoes: $100+
      outfit: $100+
      you get the idea... :doh

I'm not really a clotheshorse either... my job is very casual so I mostly wear tshirt and jeans. also I'm super tall, so I can't wear everything. :) so I probably naturally tend to spend less on my own clothes than some other people might.

2. When I buy doll clothes, yes, they cost alot more then my clothes!

I don't wear really cheap clothes, but I buy off the clearence rack like a maniac!
      I'll buy 12 pieces of sales clothes at a department store for around 130$. Rarely do you find doll clothes that are 80% off, haha XD
      I'm speaking of "business casual" clothing, that's what I usually wear.

3. Absolutely! It is a good deal easier to sew a dress for myself than it is to sew one for one of my dolls - especially my 1/6 girls! Since I sew most of the clothing for my dolls, I really don't run into a problem of spending more on clothing for them than for me. My issue comes when I have to buy shoes for them! Their shoes cost more than any pair I've ever owned! *laughs*

4. Nope, I'm one of the few that spends more on myself than my doll. I think there are a lot of reasons. 1) I'm a fashion hoe, lol. 2) It's far more accessible for me to shop for myself, especially since I live in a huge city. 3) It's more fun to shop for myself! Going out and shopping beats sitting behind a computer screen anyday. 4) My doll can wear the same clothes everyday and I'm fine with it. I can't do that to myself XD;; 5) I can sew for my doll (at least, some things I can), whereas I'd never wear anything I sewed for myself, save for cosplay. There are probably a bunch of other reasons, but I'm feeling lazy right now, haha.

5. I guess its because of the niche market, not many people jump on this bandwagon. I remember first looking into dolls and thinking "oh my god, i'll never pay that much!!" but here i am, thinking of gettting another doll which is smaller and costs more (i love bambicrony!). I love the doll's clothing, and the fact is, as a teacher, i cant go around dressing in my loli cloths and still be considered professional. That would be great! Olivia (MSD ANI) is my way of expression, what i would wear, she does. :)

6. I still spend more money to clothe me. There are so many cute outfits online, but I prefer to try to make my own for them. :aheartbea

7. if i could sew, i would, but alas, my sewing machine is broken, and i just got my olivia, so no more spending for me!

8. I'm begining to do that. *sighs* =( Not good at all. But I also noticed some clothes costs more than human clothes! O.o;

9. I dunno...I still have difficulty justifying $27 for a doll skirt. I cringe spending that much for myself. I'm a happy jeans and t-shirt kinda girl, though I do usually have to pay extra to have my jeans hemmed (is a shorty). But there are so many cute doll outfits out there! Which is why I'm trying to learn to sew...it'll be so much easier on my poor wallet.

10. Yes, I've realized that doll clothes can be just as expensive, if not more expensive than my own. I definitely spend more on myself though, since because of that fact I'm learning to sew all my own doll clothes - I'm not in a financial situation where it's affordable yet.

11. The fact that I spend more on my dolls than myself influences me to try to dress better. =3 One day, it hit me how funny it is that I'm spending more time choosing and more money on dressing up inanimate objects more nicely than myself, so I went out to buy myself something nice to wear for a change. It wasn't a significant change, but it certainly surprised my non-doll friends. ^^;

12. It's always gonna happen, so I've learned to reconcile myself with it ^^ and keep in mind that the fashion industry and the doll clothes industry are NOT the same. I actually do tend to spend more than the average on my own clothes, but doll clothes usually have me beat!

Still, they'll never have to be replaced, and being a clothing designer/maker myself, I always remember that when the clothes are handmade, there is an actual person/people sitting there giving up their evenings to buy materials and do labor for you (even more so if it's a commission) - I think about that more than the actual clothes, so I'm never like, "this is just a skirt that could fit around my wrist, why doesn't it cost $5??" Unless it actually looks like it's not that great a job or no thought went into it (which also happens a lot). I won't say it's always harder to sew for dolls or it takes more time, but for some specific cuts it is harder or even impossible, and sometimes it just takes more careful planning. When the clothes are factory made, they're usually either full sets with stunning hand made details I can appreciate, or when they're separates, either the details bear them out or they're not actually that expensive.

Plus, I tend to like innovative, well-designed and distinct pieces for both me and my dolls. Often I can estimate that a doll outfit that cost me $150 would probably cost me $400+ if I were to find it in human size. And gowns?? (luckily, I don't have much occasion to wear gowns. :P ) but I can see the disparity getting bigger for people who don't like to dress up or always bargain shop or people who are still living with their parents and don't buy their whole wardrobe.

In the case where they do seem expensive for what they are, I don't buy them. Either someone else will think it's worth buying, or the seller will realize the price is too high and lower it. Also, it's a lot easier to resell doll clothes in pristine condition, since they don't move or secrete anything. ^^

13. IM EXACTLY THE SAME WAY! I cringe too, but at the same time, i tell myself one set of cloths that looks nice is good, then i want more >< its a curse!

14. Luckily for me, I make my own doll clothes. And fabric is cheap when you're sewing for a Mini! The only reason I charge as much as I do for my doll clothes is the time and effort I put into them. I design my own patterns and I hand-sew everything. A lot of love and hours go into my work! That being said, I'm never shocked by the price of doll clothes since I know exactly where the creator is coming from when they charge the same as or more than people clothes.

I'm always really tempted to buy pretty doll clothes (Mio... :atremblin), but I'd honestly rather buy clothes for myself! So I make my own doll clothes. :)

15. I had a realization (as some have mentioned earlier in this thread) when I was bemoaning to my friend that my SD sized BtSSB Red Riding Hood outfit was gonna cost more than her human sized BtSSB Red Riding Hood outfit and she said "Doesn't it come with shoes?" And I realized that yes, the outfit SET costs more than the human outfit, but it came with socks, undies, underskirt, hair ornaments, shoes and handbag, all of which would be sold separately for the human one.
      So, for loli wear at any rate, it's a pretty good deal. I guess. :sweat
      H

16. Well,I'd like to spend money on my dolls clothes,but then I always end up thinking I'd rather save that money for another doll (naked one :P). I've managed to find some nice fabrics from a bargain bin at our local sewing shop. Those will make many outfits for the boys.

For myself I would like to be able to buy from Metamorphose but cant.So to the sales I go,always looking through the bargains for myself too. *_* Oh,and second hand shops are great! You can find all sorts of things there.

17. I'd have to say that I'm willing to buy a ridiculously expensive outfit for a doll for one reason.

There really is *very* little wear and tear. You don't have to wash the clothes, they aren't going to get wear spots in a year, they won't get stains or rips or other ailments of human clothing (unless there's a horrible accident or you're not careful with doll clothes!)... so these expensive outfits are going to last for years and years... and you can be sure the doll will never grow out of them, or put on a couple of pounds and need new pants :P

Overall, I still spend more on my own clothes... but it's really just because of wear and tear and replacement. I don't think I could justify buying a $220 outfit for myself... because for me, it's not practical XD

18. I've gotten to the point that I seem to have no problem justifying outfits and clothing sets that cost 150 and up for my dolls, or shoes that cost 70+ for them yet I can't even justify that for myself.

Went in to buy myself some ah... [bras -haha] and got annoyed that the cheapest I could find was 15 some dollars and refused to buy more than 2 of them because 30 + tax was way too much, yet I turned around and spent 100 on materials for an outfit I was making Fuan without blinking O_o

Jenova has a few pairs of 70 some dollars boots and I don't seem to have any problem with that in my head, yet I need some new shoes and I couldn't let myself spend more than 30 on them.

Even the jewelry they wear costs more than most of my stuff now *_*

Sometimes I wonder about my mentality when this stuff goes through my head... [and yet I keep doing it, ah dollfies, how you own me. Then again, I get more enjoyment from looking at them in nice clothing than I do myself, so all is good -heh]

19. You remind me of all my penny-pinching ways just to pay for my dolls. I used to save about 80&#37; of my monthly allowances on dolls. I also brought sandwiches to work everyday so I wouldn't have to buy lunch. I would also have limits on my own clothing, like up to $50 or something. The list goes on. Curiously, as most of you pointed out, I had no problem spending five to ten times that of my limit for myself on my dolls, especially if it was an ooak outfit by a well known designer. Isn't it curious?
      *_*

20. I am not a brain loyalty person and since my mother always shop the clothes for me, I spend little on my own clothes and use my money on other things for sure.
      I do admit that not only the doll clothes but also all doll related stuffs are more expensive.
      My price value on dolls stuffs change forever.

A pair of boots for myself over $40 is "expensive", but a pair of boots at $30~40 for my doll is "all right" :sweat
      The doll shoes are normally expensive.