1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Paying more for your Doll's clothing than your own....

Mar 31, 2007

1. *shrugs* I do pay more per item for clothing for my dolls than clothing for myself, on average. But it doesn't shock or bother me. In large part, it's due to the fact that I don't really give a darn what I'm wearing most of the time. As long as it's comfortable and my breasts aren't hanging out somewhere unusual, I'm content. But I like my dolls in certain things, and I expect to pay for those things. ^_~

2. Yea, Vespa has a pair of jeans and a sweater which is quite expensive. . .
      More expensive than my own clothes!!

3. Due to how expensive dolls clothing is i have a very very small selection but i dont mind paying it because i understand the effort and time it took to make. On my own clothes i generally spend more though

4. Ummm. I love fashion, but I'm mostly a bargain-hunter/flea market kinda girl.

With regards to my dolls, I only buy what I absolutely have to (like shoes, wigs & eyes), or if I find a good 2nd-hand bargain. I find that there is a severe lack of range for casual clothes, I see more 'costumes' up, and my dolls won't wear it unless for a special shoot or event so I don't really see the point >.<

I just can't justify spending that much money on tiny clothes for them, especially when the prices are in USD. A normal t-shirt for them costs more than it would for me! ...which is why I've started to improve my sewing skills.

I guess at the end of the day, I definitely have spend more on myself, if purely because I just have a larger wardrobe accumulated over the years xD

5. I have finlly stopped trying to justify the cost of my doll's clothes. If I am really driven to get a specific item, I throw caution to the wind and buy it - it does have to be special, at least to me.

6. I don't have any resin dolls, but I can certainly say that if I did, I probably would spend more on their clothes than my own non-cosplay clothes. Hell, I'm in the process of spending more on a pair of 1/6 chainmail shirts that I'm making, and have spent more on those two so far than any non-cosplay clothes I've bought this year. My clothes don't cost much, since either I get them through discount means (sales, thrift, eBay), or they didn't cost more than $15 per item to begin with. Some of my bought-new clothes have been as low as $3. Mass-produced Hawaiian shirts don't go for much if you don't go to the brand-name stores, especially if you catch them on sale. Hell, I object to spending more than $25 or so on shoes for myself, and am content to wear a single pair of sandals for an entire year (with heavy knit socks in winter). I do have a few articles of sort-of non-cosplay clothes that were "pricey" ($40), but I consider them my formal wear (Renaissance shirts).

1/4 (and 1/3) doll clothes, on the other hand, aren't mass produced to the same extent as my clothes. They're also higher quality and more heavily detailed. Therefore, I expect them to cost more by default.
      Also, I can't make little shoes that look good, as far as I know, and little shoes can be difficult to find. I understand how they are a more difficult to make, and thusly understand the price more. Also, they won't be absolute shreds in three months' time like the ONE pair of Nikes I bought were. I don't have to worry about horrible breakage, and since they aren't intended for actual use, if they should happen to break, I may be able to fix it effectively.

7. I hate spending more for my dolls clothes than my own. >.< I usually only buy what I really have to (shoes, wigs, and eyes). Though the other day I ordered two outfits from DollHeart...I've wanted them for a REALLY long time though, and while I'm good at sewing those are some complicated outfits that are far out of my skill range....T-T

And while I don't expect these clothes to be cheap, they're still too expensive. In my opinion anyway. I could understand maybe $50 or $60 (USD) for most of the outfits that are about $80 and up...some/most prices are just rediculous; like $40 for a pair of pants/jeans...I could make that for less than $5...~_~

8. There are lots of reasons for this... but I'm like most people, I'm fine with paying more for my doll's clothes if it's quality stuff.

1. Just to get into the hobby, you need to be willing to drop some sizable cash. It attracts hobbyists who don't mind paying lots for good quality product and keeps away the Wal Mart crew. Companies know this and it sets a certain level of expectations and pricing.

2. Buying in bulk comes out cheaper per unit, so if you buy x meters of fabric for 200 pairs of jeans, the jeans will cost less, not just because they're smaller but because doll jeans are usually produced in small amounts, requiring even less fabric.

3. Being made by small companies, the clothing is probably put together by one person per piece, as opposed to a big company where one worker does the overlock stitching, another puts the pieces together, another does the zippers, etc. The rate of production is much slower and therefore less cost effective.

4. The used clothing market. Augh, my love, my bane! Goodwill it ain't; that's where I shop for myself, for pants costing $5 a pop. With second hand doll clothing, don't expect prices to drop much unless the workmanship is shoddy.

5. Also I am not taking photos of myself modeling for all the internet to see so my boys have to look good! ;)

9. I spend about the same for both my dolls and for me. I'm slighty a brand whore for lolita clothing and so my dolls have to be brand whores also ^.^;;; I dont buy my dolls stuff a lot, they have their outfits and some extras but not a ton of clothes. I make some and make some (same with me)
      I try and not think about how much I have spent on the SD Baby outfits >.<

10. I think we all want the best clothes we can afford for our dolls and sometimes if you want a particular outfit that has a lot of fabric and a lot of work gone into it, you just have to pay the price don't you? Unless of course you are great seamstresses and can make it yourself.
      I plan to make a lot of outfits for my dolls, don't know how they will turn out though.
      I must admit that i would'nt buy an outfit that costs as much as a new doll but that's just me, i have a long list of dolls i want to buy and i would prefer to have a new doll.
      :)

11. I've had trouble just justifying the price of a doll to the point where I can consider myself saving up for one. I can't justify dropping an extra hundred or two (or three) on clothing, no matter how nice it is. I'm compromising (at least for a while) by buying him some sandals when I'm closer to actually affording him (I love the Waraji at Featherfall!) and sewing him some clothes myself. I'm just going to consider myself lucky that I got a nice sewing machine for my birthday and have some fabric on hand.

Hard to sew though when the only fabric/craft store within forty-five minutes closed over two years ago, you have no car, and the new one is still being built.... :| The craft section at Wal-mart just isn't the same.

12. I spend more on doll clothes or their fabrics mainly because I rarely buy new clothes for myself. I spend something about $200 a year on clothes and shoes for myself, I guess that's not horribly much.

13. i dont spend more on their clothes.
      i spend about equally much for my clothes too, that's why my financial is getting so tight that im starving myself from time to time ._.

14. I spend a lot more money on clothes for my dolls than myself - I have a pretty simple style and I stick to it, whereas with the dolls I can experiment a lot more. Besides, they can wear the clothes I'd never dare to wear, so it's far more fun to dress them up than to dress myself up.

And the clothes take a lot less space, too. :D

15. I have always spent way more on dolls stuff than I do on myself, next my daughter has all my spare cash and then hubby ~ poor me is always last LOL ~ I dred to think how old some of my clothes are ~ yet my dolls get new stuff almost daily

Addicted ~ I sure am !!!!

Carla x

16. My dolls are always getting new clothes, but I hardly ever buy myself new clothes or anything :doh yip they are spoilt :sweat

17. Personally I would never pay more for a doll's clothes than my own. I can sew, so I plan on making most of their clothing myself.

18. I do pay more for my dolls clothes because I don't enjoy dressing myself up but I do enjoy dressing my dolls up. I guess it's just a lifestyle choice for me. I'm quite happy spending &#163;12.99 on a pair of jeans and &#163;3.99 on a shirt from a 2nd hand shop for me and then buying a leather outfit for my doll for &#163;25. I would rather look at my pretty dolls in pretty clothes that stare at ugly me in pretty clothes in the mirror.

19. Hehehehe, I just got a rather pricey order in from Musedoll, but TOTALLY WORTH IT. I woulda smacked the crap outta myself in August (when I really started getting into this hobby) for spending so much on just clothes. But all I can sew at the moment are boardshorts/boxers. :sweat

Plus I figure, I don't spend much on clothes/shoes/etc for myself. So it's nice that they have at least one really nice set of clothing (i.e. I didn't make it >.>;;;;; ). I don't plan on spending so much again but you never know. :sweat

20. Well I am a rather frumpy-dumpy middle-aged lady of rather ordinary looks. I think I'd look silly in very fashionable clothing and shoes... and Lolita? Ha!

But seriously. In a way, when I buy doll clothes it's like for "another myself". Heh... one that's not a lumpy size 12. ^_~

Raven