1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Paying more for your Doll's clothing than your own....

Mar 31, 2007

1. As much as I may hate to admit it... I will spend $50 on brand new doll jeans in a heartbeat, yet be hesitant to spend even $7 on myself, at the local thrift store.

Honestly, I think it's availability that's affecting our shopping choices, rather than our willingness or unwillingness to spend on ourselves or our dolls. How many doll clothes do we find that cost under $20, that are worth anything? Which includes shipping from another country, as well as how well made they really are? Or any number of things you want to add, like durability and staining possibilities, and fit.

And yet, we find so many jeans for people for under $20 in thrift stores all the time, which meet our criteria (or at least mine, which is very high and pretty rigid). Sure they're used, but the MP is full of dollie jeans which don't go for much less than the original price.

As mentioned already, we also have to compare prices of dolls to humans. A good business suit (for people) can run you a couple hundred dollars, same with a pretty dress with lots of detail/accessories. What about Lolita clothes? I've heard those can be through the roof! Yet doll clothes... Good suits are $100 or less, pretty dresses the same. Lolita dresses for dolls are at most $200 (from what I've heard and from what little I've seen).

TL;DR - I spend more on my doll clothes because I can't find the things I'm looking for any cheaper, whereas I can go to the thrift store and get what I need for under $50. Tops.

2. One set of clothes for my tiny cost a 100. wayyyy more then mine can ever cost ): !

3. This makes me so torn! I just ordered my first doll. Partly, I'm not used to how much this hobby costs. So far, I have only sewed my doll clothes. I can sew fairly well. It kind of drives me crazy that some things I want to buy cost just as much as my own clothing. Also, even though I could just sew my own version, I think that is stealing. So I am just using tutorials / patterns that are free on the forums here.

4. Yep...=________=
      One of my best friend asked about why I spent money for buying clothes on my dolls even more for myself. Sometimes, I will spend time to think out for buying this coat for myself or not, but I'd never think about it when I bought dress for my dolls. One of their dress could be higher than 100$ but it looks than I will never buy a clothes for myself over than 100$...Loving dolls is consider to spend also a lot of money and time on it...hahah~

5. I never thought of that, but it makes sense. Now I can at least justify the expense a little easier. Haha! :sweat

To be honest, I think I've spent more money on doll clothes in the past 2 weeks than I did on myself in the past year.

6. I noticed myself being in a completely different mindset when looking at their clothing, especially if we include shoes. If I want it for them, I am less likely to be concerned about the price than I am for myself. I haven't analyzed it, but I was aware of it.

7. Heh, I don't buy all that much clothing for myself anymore. Since I just work at home -and rarely go out -yes I'm a loner lol - I don't really have the need to buy loads of clothes for myself.

My dolls on the other hand, get lots of different outfits -although lately I've bough less for them- and most of the outfits are indeed more expensive then the stuff I get for myself. I don't find that strange either, even if others may think so. ^^;

8. I would consider the price of their clothes over mine. I basically am more comfortable buying clothes for them (and obviously my real children) than mine, however seeing as they are my dolls, esentially I am buying for me; I just cannot wear them ;)

9. I was just thinking about this the other day when I paid $50 for a lovely white dress for one of my girls. So, yes, per item, I will spend more on my girls' clothes than on my clothes. I personally shop at Wal-Mart and wear my clothes long past when I should have bought new ones. But I think it is justifiable because, quite frankly, the girls looks better in nice clothes than I do. : )

10. yep i spend more on my girls stuff than i do on myself

11. I actually will probably spend more on doll shoes then shoes for myself just in that there are a lot of adorable styles and Im a sneakers sort of gal.

Im going to try to make most of my dolls clothes. We'll see how that goes

12. I think since I got my dolls I've probably spent a bit more on their clothes than I have my own, but then I never really used to spend that much on clothing anyways. I dont see a great need to spend a lot on clothes when I know within a few months theyre probably going to have ink/paint stains and holes everywhere (I'm an art student, dont ask about the holes i still havnt figured out how i manage to do that yet ^_^ ). Most of my own clothes I buy in sales, or I buy from the summer holiday ranges (throw-away clothes ftw - tshirts for £1-2 each strappy tops for £1 each) so of course I can buy in bulk and it doesnt hurt the bank. But doll clothes I think I can allow to spend that bit more on, they dont go through the same wear-and-tear as people clothes and they are so much easier to keep almost new. Even at that I try to keep a similar mindset as to my own shopping - try to find sales/promotions that involve clothing, bulk buy to get the most out of shipping. If I could sew a lot better than I do at present I would probably save a lot on doll clothes, but that may take quite a long while yet.

13. Oh, goodness no. I own a skirt that costs more than one of my dolls. I look good in nice clothing and am not willing to sacrifice how I look to buy more clothing for my dolls. I like nice and expensive clothing and don't really care so much about the price of it when it comes to stuff for me, but when it comes to my dolls, I really shop around. All of my dolls are well clothed and look totally fabulous even though I haven't spent too much on them. All together I've probably only spent less than $160 on all of my doll's clothing together, shoes included.

14. Errr, to tell the truth, you have to be familiar with it...
      Just think on the other hand, your doll will never grow up, he/she does not need new clothes very often, doesn't they?!

15. Oh yeah, their clothes are way more expensive than mine. I shop at thrift stores, bargain stores, and Walmart for myself. They're getting clothes that cost enough for one year's worth of clothes for me.

Let's not even get to shoes...D:

16. I pay about equal. I find it silly to spend more on my boy's clothes than my own, he's only a doll after all. (I'm also extremely picky and stingy when it comes to doll clothes in the first place lol)

17. My mom pays my clothes, so I don't have to worry about that.
      I'll pay the clothes for my doll, but I don't have much money, so it won't be more expensive than my clothes. ^-^

18. In fact I always like to redesign some outfits that not very expensive. I don't like to put a full set outfit just on one doll...haha
      Like someone mentioned my mom pays most of my clothes but I like shopping and everytime I usually think that the clothing will be perfect wearing on dolls.><

19. I go through periods where I spend a lot on doll clothes (say $200 at a time) and skimp on my own clothes, and other times I'll blow $700 on clothes for myself. It all depends on how much I want the outfit (for myself or my dolls), what the quality is like (I try and buy good quality clothes that will last a long time) and what I need the clothes for. I started a new job about 6 months ago so I needed a whole lot of new clothes. Other times I've worked from home and my dolls got 10 times as much clothing as me.

I think with doll clothes (actually with pretty much everything! LOL) you get what you pay for. If you buy good quality brands such as Volks or Dollheart you're buying things that are finished very well, and a great deal of time and effort has gone into making them. You can really see the difference. My dolls started off with cheaper type clothes but now I prefer to save up and get only good quality items from Dollheart, Volks etc... from the marketplace here or commission someone to make the clothes. It bothers me when doll clothes are not well made - I like them to be in scale and with finished seams and lining where it's needed. I love having doll clothes and shoes that are well made - I see them as little pieces of art that I will hopefully hand down to a niece or nephew one day. So for me doll clothes are as much of an 'investment' as the doll themselves.

20. When I started collecting dolls I used to buy LOTS of clothes and stuff. Much more for them than for me. Now I am much more selective... I only get good quality items that I REALLY love and that match my dolls' personalities and style.

And I think the dolly clothes and acessories are such an important part of the hobby. They can make dolls look very cute on pictures. :D

But well, I still have to say... my dolls have a better wardrobe than myself.