1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Paying more for your Doll's clothing than your own....

Mar 31, 2007

1. i agree with you. the other day i spend over 100 dollars for the outfit i want for my doll. instead buying material or clothing online. you can use your old clothing that you dont wear and use that material for your doll clothing

2. Actually...quite honestly my clothing and my boy's clothing is pretty much around the same price. :sweat

3. I don't think I've paid more for individual articles, but for entire outfits. And shoes. I definitely spend more on my dolls shoes than I do on my own. Then again, I'm not as picky about my shoes than I am about my doll's. It's really funny, the other day, I was looking at an outfit and the total was 156 USD, and I looked at my friend and I was like, "I feel like I could buy MYSELF an outfit with that money!" XD

But to be completely honest, I'm not a fashion junkie. I'm relatively comfortable in sweats and T-Shirts all year round, and my winter jacket has lasted me years. I do love fashion, just not on me. I like to be ready within 20 minutes and out the door. ^.^;

My dolls, on the other hand.... >.>;

4. It's rough for me because I'm so thrifty when it comes to my own clothes. I don't have it in me to fork over money for clothes myself, and it's a constant battle for my doll. But like children, they will always have it better. The talent it takes to make such tiny clothes is well worth the money. If you think of it from the maker standpoint, it's going to take them longer and will be much harder to sew a tiny shirt than a larger shirt. My first real outfit for Freddie was a gift. That's because I spent MONTHS debating what's worth it/realistic/necessary. LOL

5. My boys only dress in street clothes; they don't have anything too complicated, so their clothes typically cost a little less than mine do, depending on where I buy them from. I am very particular about what I buy my boys. I do a lot of browsing and I comb the marketplace, which has paid off for me so far.

I'm cheap when it comes to dolls clothes, probably because my dolls are not lolita or steampunk or anything else that has lots of gorgeous tiny accessories and details. I give a lot of credit to owners of dolls with complicated fashions!

6. Same here:| But high prices for dolls clothes stimulating my fighting spirit. It makes me stop being lazy and greate clothes by myself :)

7. I'm guilty of spending more for doll clothes than my own clothes..their clothes are more expensive than mine XD

8. Oh I totally spend more on their clothes than mine. I take pride in finding a bargain for my clothes, but don't think twice about
      dropping a fortune on theirs. ;)

9. Man, I love shopping for doll clothes but HATE shopping for myself, so its easy to see myself spending more on doll clothes than my own clothes (as soon as my dolls arrive that is).

Also, it is a lot harder to make smaller clothes because it is simply harder to handle the pieces of fabric. I cringe at the thought of sewing sleeves on a tiny doll ><

10. My friend and I were speaking of this subject just the other day. We both agreed that for the most part we will spend more for our dolls clothing than for ourselves. We just love doll clothes and have a thing for their shoes. We don't care what we pay for them if the fit is to our liking. As for shopping for myself I hate it! Umpteem trips back and forth to the fitting room to find a pair of jeans that fits to my liking. I'll find a brand that fits and next time I go to get some more they've changed the cut grrrrrrr!

11. Right.....Before I received my first doll,I always shop for myself whenever possible :)
      After his arrival :)...I started to look for him bit by bit ...
      and months later when the crew expanded-_-
      I went shopping for their new outfits almost everyday<----
      and now-_- I realised I have not bought myself a new top nor a new skirt or anything and spent every single cent that I would used to buy clothes for my own in the past on THEIR stuffs.
      - -....Now ....they have 3 big boxes full of outfits....and I have the same wardrobe as before....-.-||

12. I think that it will even out, for myself anyway.

I will only have 2 or 3 outfits for each of my dolls, and add a few pieces here and there.

For myself I buy clothes more often and have many more items than each of my dolls do.

So I think it's pretty even, though there is a good chance that I will spend more on my dolls than on myself.

13. I know I spend more on doll clothes then on my self due to one more of them then me, and also because I am not really into clothes. I work at home and so get away with 95% of the life in jeans and t-shirts. That 5% I need something fancy, I have had for over 5 years so not worried. I like dressing my dolls in stuff to suit their personality or who I see them as charecter wise. I don't need much, just new shoes when the old ones wear out. :lol:

14. Some of my dolls clothes have been more expensive than my own--actually, a lot have--but I think you're paying for skill and ability more so over amount of fabric, because while doll clothes may take less fabric, it would seem it is a lot more difficult to sew smaller scale things and include the realistic details many of us enjoy in our dolls' clothes. Most of our own clothing doesn't have the same individual attention to detail to get it created, produced en mass on an assembly line or whatever the case may be.

15. I've been wondering about this topic too but, it makes sense when you put it that way.

16. I wear Old Navy jeans and various T-shirts that I've had for years, so yes, I spend much more on doll clothes than my own!

17. I'm kind of reluctant to buy things that I can, in theory, make myself for less. I'm not a terribly skilled sewer yet and anything nearing fancy is beyond me, but I'm pleased enough with what I can make so far. :3

18. i buy for my doll about as often as i buy for myself, as i like making doll cloaths as part of the hobby, i do find it strange that i can buy a £2 t-shirt for myself yet some being sold for dolls are £5 or more.

19. My doll clothes cost more than my clothes! :o A set for them is nearly $200 if not more, while for me a 'set' such as jeans and a t-shirt is no more than $50 not including shoes b/c I wear the same shoes for everything. But I justify it by saying 'He's only going to have a few pairs as compared to me where I have enough pieces to last me for over two weeks'. Furthermore, I don't dress them in jeans and the like. I already wear them, I don't want my dolls to wear those too! They need something special.

Also, for clothes that cost that much...their quality blows me away. It's amazing how beautifully detailed they are. Totally worth it. I am so jealous of my dolls :sweat

20. I know just by looking through the clothing prices that they often cost way more than I would spend for myself. Granted that right now most of the prices are pretty close to the same, but for some reason it always feels like spending 30$ for a shirt for a doll is worse than spending 30$ for a shirt for myself. I think the size makes a difference, you'd think smaller means cheaper but because it's smaller and often more detailed the prices are about the same.